PDA

View Full Version : Climate change

Fred's mowing
18-05-2016, 06:47 PM
About a week away from winter & in my area the grass is still growing strong, also many of the deciduous trees are only just starting to turn.
I know there's always talk about the weather but, whats going on ?
In our game, most of us would rightfully be keen weather watchers, hows the weather in your area ?
Im not wanting to sound alarmist but, its really starting to concern me.
Whats your take ?
Cheers Fred.

Redeye
18-05-2016, 07:30 PM
I heard a Bureau/Met scientist on the radio this morning talking about our local area, every record for May (highs, lows, periods etc) has been broken. He put it down to el nino, something I can't remember and definitely climate change. Its starting to freak me out too, 27deg here yesterday....

djkgrounds
18-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Still growing here in Brisbane as well, although some of my jobs are already turning brown, others are thriving. And bloody hot 28deg outside today

Bluey
19-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Combination of El Nino and a positive SAM ( contraction of westerly winds towards Antarctic) Thats why they are saying it could be a wetter than normal winter as the SAM becomes negative and gives us more cold fronts

AJD Mowing
19-05-2016, 11:17 AM
most of my customers are still 2 weeks, most days are still in mid 20s :i dunno:

brett73
19-05-2016, 02:37 PM
About a week away from winter & in my area the grass is still growing strong, also many of the deciduous trees are only just starting to turn.
In our game, most of us would rightfully be keen weather watchers, hows the weather in your area ?
Whats your take ?
Cheers Fred.

It's all over the shop down here. I have some in Mornington still on 2 weekly, others on 4 weekly. Most of the trees have dropped with all the wind lately.
It's really really strange, with Safety Beach turning yellow, but Mornington still a lush green. We still need a good few weeks of rain though, it's dry as under the first 20mm.

troppo
19-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Worst summer ever, was still well over 30 till last Wednesday with high humidity and light breezes, if any in some areas. Thursday was the much wanted change so now we are in the high 20's with good S/E trade winds but still high humidity (no breeze is hard on me). Bugger all rain during the wet season, only had a few 12 hr spells of good tropical downpours and that is being generous. They are saying a warmer wetter winter which will be good for me, everyone is still on fortnightly cuts and the pruning/mulching work has been insane. Keep saying this next week will be a lazy one, but it never happens. Talking to an old tobacco farmer from Mareeba and he said the last time it was like this was '57.

stptow
19-05-2016, 06:50 PM
here in auckland the grass still growing strong, up to last week we were having 22 degrees during day, only dropping to 17-18 at nite, so ground temp still high.

steveo
19-05-2016, 09:31 PM
After one of the driest aprils we got some rain in early may which usually brings the cold but it is still mild, could pan out to be one of the warmest may's on record.

simo
22-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Still fortnightly here and 3 are weekly, autum temps yet to arrive 26 the day time averages
The busiest season I've had in 15yrs mowing
Need a holiday.. Looking like a forced holiday

Scooby Steve
28-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Whats your take ?
Cheers Fred.

Been an odd Autumn for sure. Might get that beach front property after all. 800 metres from the beach now so i figure in 30 years time everything will be coming up Milhouse.

steveo
28-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Whats your take ?
Cheers Fred.

The sad and scary truth is the ice caps are melting due to humans trashing the planet. And yet you won't hear one politician in this election mention Australia's rampant population growth. No plan for the future means our rivers will be sewers (if they aren't already) just like in Asia.

ASTRO
28-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately steveo the uncontrolled overpopulation of any species will lead to its demise.
The future is in the hands of a ultimate narcissist , a bank and Monsanto.

Redeye
29-05-2016, 10:10 AM
if Trump gets elected, World War III will be just around the corner, so it probably won't matter

Scooby Steve
29-05-2016, 04:16 PM
The sad and scary truth is the ice caps are melting due to humans trashing the planet. And yet you won't hear one politician in this election mention Australia's rampant population growth. No plan for the future means our rivers will be sewers (if they aren't already) just like in Asia.

Don't worry Steveo the Chinese will own most of Australia soon so it wont be ours to worry about :scared:mad::help

BSD
29-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Mars is also having climate changes. Its the Sun doing the occasional flip flop every few million yrs.

steveo
29-05-2016, 10:24 PM
well I'm not given up. **** em.

Redeye
30-05-2016, 09:00 AM
wow that was quick! looong summer, about a week and a half of autumn and bam - winter...bloody freezing last night/this morning

steveo
30-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Mars is also having climate changes. Its the Sun doing the occasional flip flop every few million yrs.

well maybe the nmartians need to stop the rampant development and set a population target so all the martians can agree on it.

Redeye
30-05-2016, 08:24 PM
^^ love it :)

steveo
31-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys, i've never done anything like this before but I'm after your support as this is really getting on my goat. Councils and govts are consistently warning us not to cut down trees, respect the environment, be environmentally friendly or whatever but then they behave in completely the opposite fashion. I'm sick of the hypocrisy.

So if you don't mind please sign my petition and I'll leave you all alone, I know gardeners are great guys (course they are, I'm one aren't I) who are usually also outdoor people like fisherman, bushwalkers so I am hoping you'll sign and get the ball rollen for what its worth. I have no vested interest in this, I just love the outdoors and want the next generation to enjoy it too.

I hope this link works. Here goes.

I just started the petition "Andrew Barr (ALP) Chief minister : Stop the destruction of the Murrumbidgee River corridor before it's too late" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name. Please send

this on to anyone you think might be interested as soon as possible before its too late.
My goal is to reach 100 signatures and I need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/andrew-barr-alp-chief-minister-stop-the-destruction-of-the-murrumbidgee-river-corridor-before-it-s-too-late?recruiter=549246038&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

Thanks!
Steve