PDA

View Full Version : Tanaka TCG 27 EAS

Redeye
24-05-2016, 02:47 PM
I've had this for a bit over 4 weeks, paid $489. I've tried hard to like it but its the worst piece of gear I've owned since my very first whippy (a stihl bent shaft POS). Its a bastard to start,
not just first job of the day, but all day - from 5-15 pulls. Once its running, its goes like a champion and has ample power - I swapped the supplied bump-head for an alloy 4 way with 2.7mm diamond edge and it has plenty enough grunt to drive it.
But for a almost $500 machine its not recommended, mostly for its being such a ***** to start; it has a very cheap strap attachment point (which is what I use to lock to my tray with a Python cable), the handle is woefully cheap & nasty and I swapped for an old kawa one on the 2nd day....and today the cut-out switch packed it in meaning I had to use the choke to stop it.
Not recommended and not impressed :mad:

BeetleJuice
24-05-2016, 04:49 PM
I've had this for a bit over 4 weeks, paid $489. I've tried hard to like it but its the worst piece of gear I've owned since my very first whippy (a stihl bent shaft POS). Its a bastard to start,
not just first job of the day, but all day - from 5-15 pulls. Once its running, its goes like a champion and has ample power - I swapped the supplied bump-head for an alloy 4 way with 2.7mm diamond edge and it has plenty enough grunt to drive it.
But for a almost $500 machine its not recommended, mostly for its being such a ***** to start; it has a very cheap strap attachment point (which is what I use to lock to my tray with a Python cable), the handle is woefully cheap & nasty and I swapped for an old kawa one on the 2nd day....and today the cut-out switch packed it in meaning I had to use the choke to stop it.

Had the same feeling with the Stihl i sold a few days ago,i found that Makita just so much better and enjoyable to use.
So Red what you going to do now ?..I ended up cutting my loses in selling it while it still looked new and was running B4 something went wrong and it was worth nothing.Ended up losing $250, one of those bitter sweet moments

troppo
24-05-2016, 05:32 PM
I would seriously look at a Brushranger L26. But looking at the Parklands website it says a 2 year commercial warranty. Must be something wrong for it to be that hard to start, but the kill switch dying that early is not a good sign.

Greenie
24-05-2016, 08:00 PM
thats the Hitachi version i think mate...my tanakas are bloody fantastic

Redeye
24-05-2016, 08:39 PM
they definitely aren't what they used to be...my tanaka backpack blower is the bee's knee's but they don't make them anymore. As for returning it, l bought it online from a Qld business, would be a major drama. Also, l put a new carby on an old kawa kbl27a last week which is still going strong....should have done that 1st and saved $500

BSD
24-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Don't knock the cheap parkland whippy, mines a bloody ripper, just saying Gavin.. Bruce.
I would seriously look at a Brushranger L26. But looking at the Parklands website it says a 2 year commercial warranty. Must be something wrong for it to be that hard to start, but the kill switch dying that early is not a good sign.

steveo
25-05-2016, 09:41 AM

The cutout switch went on my Hitachi as well. Does it have problems starting on a full tank only? That's what mine does. The trouble is if you keep pulling it 5-15 to start it won't be long before you'll need a new cord.

The bigger issue here is there is bugger all support when you buy stuff over the internet or in one of these massive shopfront chains. This is where buying from the local small engine dealer can be an advantage. I've learnt my lesson, never buying from a particular tools shop in Sydney either over the web or in thier store ever again. **** service once the purchase has been made.

steveo
25-05-2016, 09:49 AM
and how bloody stupid is the filler neck on the Hitachi/tanaka. It's too narrow and pokes out at a 45 degree angle making it a pain in the arse to fill up. Just little things like that add up to a crap product.

BeetleJuice
25-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Don't knock the cheap parkland whippy, mines a bloody ripper, just saying Gavin.. Bruce.

Last year walking into the local mower shop i see a new range being sold called Parklander,the last time i used that trimmer and blower it was called a Pope.Same machines just renamed.
But if they work for anyone and are reliable plus affordable price range then it achieves it's purpose.

troppo
25-05-2016, 12:06 PM

Not knocking any brand in particular, just that I have a Bushranger L26 trimmer and it's been unreal, and they haven't changed anything on that model, still the same quality. I do agree that some of the cheaper stuff is worth a look at nowdays if you don't use it a lot, have a few myself.

Redeye
25-05-2016, 12:46 PM
pretty sure the L26 is a re-badged Maruyama http://poweruplawncare.com.au/home/brands/maruyama/trimmers/bc2600-rs-trimmer/ which I should have got....

fastfreddy
25-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Hi Red. I am afraid that these "New" Tanakas are just Chinese built rubbish. As mentioned elsewhere on the Forum, the last of the "old school" Japanese built Tanakas (ie TBC 290, 340 etc are about to be replaced by a range of "NEW" inferior Chinese quality machines. Rush out and grab a TBC 290 before it is all over. I too, have had fantastic service from the TBC range of trimmers for many years (270 and 290) and am gutted to see what Hitachi have done (and will do) to a once fabulous product.
Have got my order in for a couple of 290's from the final batch due in 5 weeks before the Japanese factory closes for good. Maruyama will be the recipient of any further outdoor power product purchases after a very positive experience with one of their hand held blowers.
Cheers

steveo
25-05-2016, 07:42 PM
pretty sure the L26 is a re-badged Maruyama http://poweruplawncare.com.au/home/brands/maruyama/trimmers/bc2600-rs-trimmer/ which I should have got....

http://poweruplawncare.com.au/home/brands/bushranger/trimmers/l26-trimmer/

Looks similar, but not exact. The weight seems pretty good for a 25cc.

steveo
25-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Not knocking any brand in particular, just that I have a Bushranger L26 trimmer and it's been unreal, and they haven't changed anything on that model, still the same quality. I do agree that some of the cheaper stuff is worth a look at nowdays if you don't use it a lot, have a few myself.

How do you find the vibration?

troppo
25-05-2016, 08:12 PM
How do you find the vibration?

I don't have a problem with it, but I suppose everyone is different in what they can tolerate. They have anti vibration built in and I have the small genuine speed feed head on it. They have a smaller L23 too which is a bit cheaper that runs a reduction (2:1) in the gear box to make the most of the torque from the motor, but not recommended for heavier stuff. (just a smaller engine and different gear box to the L26) Check them out on the Powerup Lawncare website.

Redeye
04-08-2016, 02:50 PM
latest news!! the cut-off switch has left this mortal coil...so l've installed a spst rocker switch. l cut a hole in the shroud where it seemed it would fit, yep, it didn't fit - so mounted it above the carb on a piece of alu angle (and glued a piece of plastic over the hole l made). Works fine.
Just to re-iterate, these are a piece of sh!t, don't buy one

steveo
04-08-2016, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=Redeye;150224]latest news!! the cut-off switch has left this mortal coil...so l've installed a spst rocker switch. l cut a hole in the shroud where it seemed it would fit, yep, it didn't fit - so mounted it above the carb on a piece of alu angle (and glued a piece of plastic over the hole l made). Works fine.
Just to re-iterate, these are a piece of sh!t, don't buy one

You still having bad luck, you need to shoot that black cat and stop walking under ladders and stop breaking mirrors.

Redeye
04-08-2016, 08:15 PM
lol a dead cat is a good cat.....this is the worst bit of gear I've bought since my stihl bent shaft when I 1st started many years ago