PDA

View Full Version : Box Blight

Scooby Steve
03-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Box Blight, is there anything we can do to treat it? Fungal disease on boxed hedges for those that don't know. I know for a long time you couldn't but has that changed? Would copper spray prevent it from spreading? Also if the client asks to have the hedge trimmed what can you do to stop the hedge trimming blades from spreading the spores? Would oil or inox stop the spread while trimming? Right now about 25% of the hedge is affected but the rest is ok. I'm not wanting to spread it further by pruning it so what do you think would be the best option. I was thinking of cutting out as much as possible with secys then trimming the unaffected parts. What do you think? Would i then have to throw the secys or would metho clean them enough for use on other box in the future? Thanks for any help cheers Craig.

ASTRO
03-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Hey scooby steve,

Would suggest removing all infected box cuttings/plants and incinerate them.
Avoid cutting the hedge as it allows the fungal spores to further infect the plant.
Contact a agricultural supplies for penoconazol fungicide for treatment . This may slow down/prevent the disease.
Copper/oil/innox sprays are not effective.
Using methylated spirits will sterilize your pruning tools to prevent transfer of disease to other plants.
Avoid over head watering and have good circulation around the hedge.
Personally I would remove the buxus hedge and replace with different type especially if grown in a humid region.

Cheers astro

Scooby Steve
11-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Hey scooby steve,

Would suggest removing all infected box cuttings/plants and incinerate them.
Avoid cutting the hedge as it allows the fungal spores to further infect the plant.
Contact a agricultural supplies for penoconazol fungicide for treatment . This may slow down/prevent the disease.
Copper/oil/innox sprays are not effective.
Using methylated spirits will sterilize your pruning tools to prevent transfer of disease to other plants.
Avoid over head watering and have good circulation around the hedge.
Personally I would remove the buxus hedge and replace with different type especially if grown in a humid region.

Cheers astro

Hi Astro, thanks for your reply.

Andy B
04-08-2016, 08:08 PM
70% solution for the metho apparently Scooby. :wave-hi:

Scooby Steve
10-08-2016, 06:23 PM
70% solution for the metho apparently Scooby. :wave-hi:

Cheers Andy, driving around i've noticed quite a few that have it.

Redeye
10-08-2016, 08:26 PM
slightly off topic sorry, planted this box & camellia hedge a few years ago....see today one of the box (jap) has died, hard to replace - camellia still need a few years to fill in

back on topic, are you seeing this on english or asian buxus? (I hate english box lol)

steveo
11-08-2016, 05:22 PM
can of green spray paint would fix it for a while

Scooby Steve
13-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Any indi's working around Brighton, Hampton, Elwood and Sandringham keep an eye out for this it's rampant at present.

DavidS
16-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Client lost a standard topiary Jap Box and then got another one and she lost that one to. I have pulled it out and have treated all the box around it with lime sulphur and copper oxychloride, separate spraying, soaking all the branches to run off, they haven't died and have new growth so maybe it worked. I also fed them with dynamic lifter and Gypsum and watered in well. I have now ordered a new topiary and hopefully this one will survive, I also sprayed the soil with copper oxychloride.
Yes Red I hate English Box to so slow to grow and get all sorts of problems at least with Jap you can cut out dead stuff and it will grow back fairly quick.