PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Security?

Doomsy
25-11-2016, 08:00 PM
so i just bought my first trailer, very exciting i can finally start advertising and being all professional like!

nice shiny 8x5 cage and ramp. BUT
I'm scared to bits that its going to get nicked, i bought a hitch lock, which is fine. bought a wheel clamp, which was terrible from super cheap auto, will be returning it as it flops about and could kick it off with my boot if i tried.

I just have an open carport, only thing i can think of is to put a big chain around it and lock it to one of the uprights of the carport.

how do you guys keep it secure when your car isnt attached to it?

steveo
26-11-2016, 07:02 AM
so i just bought my first trailer, very exciting i can finally start advertising and being all professional like!

nice shiny 8x5 cage and ramp. BUT
I'm scared to bits that its going to get nicked, i bought a hitch lock, which is fine. bought a wheel clamp, which was terrible from super cheap auto, will be returning it as it flops about and could kick it off with my boot if i tried.

I just have an open carport, only thing i can think of is to put a big chain around it and lock it to one of the uprights of the carport.

how do you guys keep it secure when your car isnt attached to it?

I'd make sure it is insured and ask the insurance company what they will and won't cover. Ask them lots of questions and read the policy as I found they don't tell you anything. They may specify a trailer lock or a certain thickness chain. Then you need to tell them what is in the trailer so that will be covered too. Was talking to someone at the tip and he reckons his son wasn't covered when someone pinched his backback blower from the ute so it wasn't chained up.

geoff
26-11-2016, 06:26 PM
congrates on the new trailer....you do need to have it insured obviously even for having an accident on the run..I use a stainless steal lockable unit from the hitch to the toe bar and need a key to unlock..a good angle grinder will do the trick ..i have seen this on surveillance camera ..they rock up pull out this huge mother fcker grinder and break any lock you have..again insurance...i pay 160 per month for the following
--trailer worth 5k
--10k ride on covers accidents fire and theft
--10k of mowers equipment whippers hedgers etc etc
-- 20mil public liability insurance
so really if they wanna knock anything off i don't care because i will get new stuff..inconvenience at worst...i know heps of contractors that don't insure and they get away with it,they also dont declare a lot of income and they dont care ...one day they will..:scared

Bluey
27-11-2016, 06:51 AM
You could try this http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/products/2016/kovix-alarm-trailer-lock-56765

jal2007
27-11-2016, 03:00 PM
hi geoff,
which insurance are you with??
thanks

glassngrass
27-11-2016, 07:04 PM
INDI has negotiated some really great policies... you should compare

geoff
27-11-2016, 08:13 PM
hi geoff,
which insurance are you with??
thanks
i am with the RACV now they might be the cheapest but when it comes to claims they are fantastic...so many companies offer great prices but its the time when you need to claim and what you get...i know from experience and from family members this mob are the best for after sales.....prices are pretty competitive

Doomsy
28-11-2016, 02:34 AM
Yes I do need to sort out insurance. At the moment it's hard enough paying the electricity though lol. Early days. For now ive got a spare car that I can park infront of it.

GQdude
29-11-2016, 08:00 AM
I park mine on my driveway on a bit of a main road. I use the 2 things you mentioned, a hitch lock and a wheel clamp.
I also use the hitch lock to lock it to the car if I park somewhere like the shops. Trailers do get pinched whilst hooked up to your car.

4 Gardens
29-11-2016, 06:21 PM
You could try this http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/products/2016/kovix-alarm-trailer-lock-56765

Looks good