PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Back: Describe Your Business

Tonyr
31-05-2004, 03:40 PM
OK, thought I'd start this thread to kinda personalise things, we don't all service the same parts in the industry, e.g some mow only, some full service, some commercial mostly, some do resorts etc, some do large lawns only, some do acreage only, some have slashers, some ride ons, some push mowers, some do smaller metro stuff, etc, etc.

=======

So to kick it off, I am solo, have a Toro Z588E ZTR, I am primarily servicing large lawns to acreage plus, no small work, all ride on. I obviously trim and edge, spray weeds. pretty basic service, but no call for anything else here. Commercial and residential.

I'm in Hervey Bay, 45000 people, 40000 I reckon mow lawns! JOKE! Weeelllll:) Very cut throat, lots of low quality competitors working for beer money here.

Ok, I've had a go, your turn! C'mon....can't hurt you.

Mike
31-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Started with two tractors, chain saws, brush cutters, augers, mowers and a lot more about five years ago doing it part time. Got to old and now have started a new business full time mowing. Still have a swag of equipment including 4x4 tractor, ride on mower with a five foot tag along which has a 8.5hp on it, numerous chain saws, brush cutters ranging from a stihl 50cc to a echo 21cc (five in total) blowers, etc, etc the list goes on. I left my full time job today that offered 50k+, company car, 60.5 days leave a year and yes, it was a Government job. (worked for the Gov for parst 25yrs full time) Already have jobs lined up through real estate agents, friends and past clients. Offering all services to residents, industial and a rural service aswell. Fire Prevention planning is also offered.
I also am a member of Indmowing and have been delighted with Dean and Ebony as advisors as their professionalism abounds with knowledge in the industry. I also have 2 x cylinder mowers apart from my two Hondas and have found them to be popular.

Mike
Mikes Garden Care

Tonyr
31-05-2004, 09:48 PM
G'Day Mike,

Thanks mate, very impressive!

I wish you all the best mate in your new full time career!

I agree, Dean and Ebony are special people...

Lets hope the other blokes lose their fear and post about their businesses, not much point keeping it a secret, we aren't a threat to each other afterall.

odin
01-06-2004, 05:03 AM
im in chicago usa 4million population ..not counting all the suburbs ..probably 8 to 10 million with all the suburbs.
Service mostly half arce lots..some bigger some smaller
have two full time helpers one part time ...lots of relatives help me to when i get in a bind...my wife did help some ...she just aint a lawn girl lol.

We do mowing ..mow about 110 weekly ..some get mowed two times a week some even three in fast growth times ...the idle rich people lol.But most one time a week...and 90 % of my cilents have irrigation sprinker systems

Have two toro ztr's exmark ztr...36 inch commercial walkbehinds.21 inch toro's for getting into fenced back lawns.

Im licensed herbicide and fertilizer applicator so my main job is the apps ..try to do some landscape work ...pavers ..retaining walls ...small profitable jobs ..try to get in several a month and some high profit sodding jobs.

I got 30 years retirement in with general motors draw a uaw pension and medical benefits ...so my family my wife my two 19 month old daughters have the best medical care ...here we dont hav e state medical.........

this is a great forum ...i enjoy better then the american forum ...good down to earth people instead of a bunch of pricks that make up the american forum .

I got to know tony and ebony on the american forum ....first class people ...i call them friends and i hope the feelin is mutual.

Tonyr
01-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Yeah ol' mate, the feelin' is very mutual!

Thanks for this post too, seems many are resistant to talking about their businesses, can't understand why though...

What blades are you running at the moment Odin?
Excalibur mulch blades?

odin
01-06-2004, 09:41 AM
excaliber notched foil hi lifts tony ...when it gets a little less wet ..im gonna try atomics or gators.

Tonyr
01-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks mate!

Does Exmark make a mulch blade?

odin
01-06-2004, 10:19 AM
hey mate

tony yes they do the exmark mulchers are those wavy like blades ...ive never used them ..

SEE if you can make em out from this pic

Tonyr
01-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Ahhh, Ha, that's the pic I was referring to in my thread on l.s, thought they weren't standard high lifts! :)

It is called an Excalibur Mulch Blade, now this blade in the pic is the one I'm looking for info on to compare to a raptor blade.

Glad I wasn't loony afterall, lol. shhhh.

avagoodone old bloke!

odin
01-06-2004, 10:59 AM
i didnt know they called the mulchers excaliber to....the excaliber hi lifts are only different in that the cutting edge goes almost to the bolt hole ..

here is a chart from exmarks site..

2004 eXmark Excalibur Blade Fit Application Chart

FITS
Part # Size 32" 36" 44" 48" 52" 60" 72" Blade Type
103-1579 15.25" Solid Air Foil Blade
103-2509 15.25" Low Lift Blade
103-2519 15.25" Mulching Blade
103-2529 15.25" Notched Air Foil Blade
103-1577 16.25" Solid Air Foil Blade
103-2507 16.25" Low Lift Blade
103-6581 16.25" Mulching Blade
103-6583 16.25" Notched Air Foil Blade
103-1578 18.00" Solid Air Foil Blade
103-6580 18.00" Low Lift Blade
103-6582 18.00" Mulching Blade
103-6584 18.00" Notched Air Foil Blade
103-1580 20.50" Solid Air Foil Blade
103-2510 20.50" Low Lift Blade
103-0301 20.50" Mulching Blade
103-2530 20.50" Notched Air Foil Blade
103-1581 24.50" Solid Air Foil Blade
103-2511 24.50" Low Lift Blade
103-2521 24.50" Mulching Blade
103-2531 24.50" Notched Air Foil Blade

mick
01-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Started with a Masport push, Small Honda brushcutter and a bloom on the Gold Coast(pop 250000approx)! Took longer to sweep the drive than it did to mow lawns so I got an Echo blower. Was just doing residentials back then but moved to an acreage and got a JD LT155. Started doing acreages and found it the way to make better money etc. I just mow and go basically these days but will spray round-up if needed or it makes life easier (chain link fences :mad: )

These days I'm cutting back on small residentials but have kept some of the long timers. Now have a JD X595, Honda 216, 2 kawi brushcutters, Shin blower. Just hope next season is as good last!

That'll do for now! :rolleyes:

Ok Tony! :wave-hi:

Tonyr
01-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Thank you kindly ol' mate! :wave-hi:

Gee ya lookin' well today :eek: :p

Mate, I gotta ask, what are ya paying for feul these days??

Nearly 93c/ lt for premium unleaded today, bloody big tanks on the Toro too! grrrrrrrrrr

Stuie
01-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Only 93 cents for premium! :p
We are paying 102 - 105.9 for plain unleaded here in Sydney.
The other day in Rose Bay Eastern Suburbs full service station it was 115.9 a litre!!! :eek:

Stuart
Sydney :aus-flag:

Stuie
01-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi All

To reply to the original question as far as our role in the industry here goes...........
We do nearly 95% residential with the rest being units and the odd factory.All except three jobs are in Sydneys Eastern suburbs.We provide a complete service to probably 70% of the properties with the others being lawns only.
We use Honda mowers and Tanaka brushcutters probably because i always have were i have worked.Do most places every 2-4 weeks and some we do weekly but they are in the minority.
My dream is (nightmare) :o is to get into more commercial work but as it is at the moment we are flat out spring and summer and reasonable in the winterso it gets down to employing people and whether we want to go in that direction.
Stuart

Ebony
01-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Great to hear from you all :)

Stuart, I was just looking at some Photographs of your work, those pics in the work gallery on our site, do you do the hedge trimming there? It is all very well maintained, very neat, the hedges look great, as do the lawns Certain people (from WA) have thought you were doing the lawns with a cylinder mower in those pictures. Take that as a big compliment hehe

It is great to have you all here.

Ebony

mick
01-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Paid 94.9c/L today for regular unleaded but with the shopper discount do-be-lacky, 90 cents/liter or so.
Just remember here in QLD, we get fuel 10cents cheaper to start than our southern brothers/sisters, usually. Greedier tax grabbers down there. Probably better roads though.....
Opps, open a can of worms!

Stuie
01-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey Ebony
We do those lawns with a Honda buffalo!! Takes a little bit of extra effort to keep them looking nice.Always use new blades on those lawns and mow at a very slow pace.Dont own a cylinder mower, would like to one day though.
We do all the hedges by hand takes 4 hours to do them all.
Stuart

Grillonz
02-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I do mainly ride-on mowing which ranges from blocks of flats with pocket hankerchief lawns (all caught), to empty sections & life-style blocks which are flail mowed.
Run a Grillo BeeFly with catcher and flail decks. It is also equiped with a Stevens edger.
This is supported by the usual collection of hand equipment.
Happy mowing
James

Tonyr
02-06-2004, 06:05 PM
G'Day James!

Would you be able to post a pic of that mighty mower please?

Keen to see the Edger mounted.

Thanks if you can.

great to talk to you again too! :wave-hi:

Grillonz
06-06-2004, 01:59 PM
As requested here is my mower. All ready to go catch grass.
The chap on it is a friend.
Happy mowing
James

Tonyr
06-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks mate!

That thing looks like a Walker cousin or something! LOL!
That edger fits on neat, with one was invented for Z's...midmounts I mean.

great pic.

Easycareacres
08-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Grillonz, Ive never seen one of those mowers {grillo} yes as Tony said its simular to walker and scag. I had the stevens edger like that also.
Where does this company come from ?
What made you pick this over a walker etc, just curious.

S.P
10-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi All,
After 2 years of research and working with a mate in the business on and off and learning as much as i could, I finally make the step into my own business late 2003.

Starting off with an old 2 stroke mower and new shindaiwa trimmer & echo blower. Advertising in the local paper & letterbox drops I've pick up more work than I thought I would and more than enough to keep me busy.

Upgraded the mower to a Honda 216 after a few months.

I cover most services including mowing, gardening, rubbish removal and general yard maintenance.

I enjoy the business side alot, but having a retail background really love getting outdoors (can't wait for spring).

I must say I've learnt quite a lot from these types of forums, its great to finally have one which all us aussie can relate too.

Brad Hay
10-06-2004, 06:08 PM
G'Day All Have found it interesting to listen to your descriptions of the different businesses . So I guess I better add my two cents worth .
A Chef for almost 16 years , I was becoming frustrated by the long hours and poor financial returns . I spoke to a couple of blokes in the game and thought I would give it a go . My friends and family said I was mad !
Living in Perth at the time I brought my set up from a guy who was getting out of the game .2 x Cylinder Mowers , 1 x rotary , whipper , blower and a 6 x 4 box trailer for $4000 .
A pretty good buy I thought . Advertising in the local paper , I built up a small round while working full time as a Chef .
I decided that I was comfortable making the switch to Lawnmowing but thought I'd better do it back home if I was going to make such a commitment . So it was back to Melbourne for me . It soon became obvious that the Cylinder mowers were no use to me here . Too many steps , too muddy or gates too small . So I sold them in N.S.W. Thanks to Dean at Independant Lawnmowing Contractors.
Four years latter and I have'nt looked back . I'm happier , healthier and better off financially . Its not right that you can train for 16 years as a Chef and make more money after an hour lesson on Lawnmowing .
I started off just lawnmowing but its hard to say no when you are as money hungry as I am . I've done everything from prunning to planting , retaining walls to reticulation . I've learnt alot as I went along ; Making some mistakes but learning from them .
Probably 50% of my regular customers are lawns only and 50% are full service . ( plus one off stuff ) I have taken my add out of the paper and pick up new customers from word of mouth . Things are going well although I would like to do more mowing and less Garden care . Bloody weeds will do your back in !

Thanks for the site .BRAD
navyblues21@optusnet.com.au

Tonyr
10-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Would like to say a special Thanks to all of you blokes who have contributed to this thread, the 'get to know' thing is a great benefit to personalising and helping each other, it's interesting as well to see why folks come to this, none of us were born into it afterall, lol.

Again, thanks blokes! :cool:

Ebony
10-06-2004, 11:08 PM
It really is great to see so much participation and to hear from you all.

Man that Grillo does look rather similar just a different color! I would also be interested why you chose the Grillo over the walker etc. and how do you find it?

S.P thanks for sharing great to hear you eventually made it out on your own

Brad how long were you using the cylinder mowers for in Perth or did you not use them much at all?

...Took longer to sweep the drive than it did to mow lawns so I got an Echo blower In the past I have heard customers complain about their new contractor using a blower believe it or not. They liked that their previous contractor used a broom and picked removed the debre rather then blowing it all on the road It's funny the things people say, I guess these are the times that the vac attachment would come in handy. Lot of hard work using a broom though that is for sure.

Mick I read in one of the other posts that you are having some time off, enjoy your holiday. There are actually a couple people I know galivanting around the world at the moment, i will have to get a pictures forum up so you can share any pictures to really make me realise what I am missing lol or start a thread in off topic!

Well It is getting a bit late and i still have a few things to do. Take care all, have a great night, I look forward to reading your future posts ;)

Ebony

administrator
18-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Everything Happens for A reason

Welcome Back This Great Thread :cheer: hehe

Brad Hay
25-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Ebony ,
I was using a M.E.Y. with a 38 inch cut ( i think 38 ) for about six months . I can't tell you how good a job that machine did . I really loved it and hated to let it go . I'm sure Dean told me he still uses one down here but I couldn't find many properties that were suitable . Dean helped me sell the M.E.Y. to a guy in N.S.W. and I sold a smaller one ( 20 inch ) before leaving Perth .

Thanks Brad

Easycareacres
25-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Welcome to the site SP and Brad.

Grillonz
25-06-2004, 05:14 PM
RE Grillo vs Walker.
Walkers are fine if you are doing nice lawns all the time. The Grillo is stronger in the design & hasn't got the walker 'Bugs'. In that I mean that it has suitable hydro pump cooling, will catch wet grass, & can be used to mow the overgrown without undue worry that something will break. If you bought a Walker with the same spec (In my case Model MC) you would need to spend NZ$3500 on extras. IE:
Big catcher
Deck lift & Tip (Grillo is full Hydraulic)
Arm rests
Knobbly Tyres

Running the flail deck actually uses less power than the catcher deck & with the exhaust gas being able to be sent via the grass blower the wet is not a problem.
You might say that I like it & are having a very good run out of it.
Happy mowing
James

Brad Hay
27-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks Easycareacres . Really enjoying the oppertunity to talk to people with similar ideasand concerns .

BRAD Ready Set Mow !

Brad
28-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi all,

My name is Brad Chaisty, I am 44, I live in Kallangur(about 26km north of Brisbane QLD).
I have just started in the mowing business and am sitting here waiting and hoping the phone will ring. I have advertised in the local paper for 5 weeks now and only had 2 calls..hope it picks up in spring.
I have a Victa commercial mower with Honda engine(it was all i could afford as my wife wouldnt let me buy a new one in case I didnt stick with it ;dealers; ) also an Atom edger(new) an old Ryobi blower vac and a very old Homelite line trimmer, and a small 5x4 trailer. As you can see Im starting with the basics but hope to buy better stuff as work pics up.
At the moment I mow my daughters lawn(partner is to lazy), my brother in law and his dads lawn, its a start, at least I can practice on them.
I have had various jobs throughout my life..started as a rooftiler, joined the army(6th Battalion RAR)for 4 years...no overseas service...railways as shunter then guard...deluxe coachlines before they went broke, bit of truck driving, driving instructor, at present I am part time designing kitchens for a cabinet maker and working my way into lawncare.

Regards
Brad

Tonyr
28-06-2004, 12:32 PM
G'Day Brad,

Welcome to property care mate!

Thank you for your 1st post too, very honest and professional.

I'm by the phone now too as I eat lunch, hoping I get a call to say a commercial account I've been sweating on for 12 months that I just received a letter saying the other company was cheaper was an error! 50K not comin' my way! oh well...welcome to the cutting game!

odin
28-06-2004, 01:14 PM
good luck brad ...

i dunno about australia ...here in a usa we print up flyers and target the areas we want accounts in ...get great responce rate here ....like i say i dunnom about over there might be worth a shot ...you have a lot of fine people on this forum imm sure you will get a lot help.

Easycareacres
28-06-2004, 04:15 PM
G'day Brad from Kallanger, crickey neat to hear someone making a go of it. If things get tight get in touch with me Brad, I employee and close to you. Parks reserves etc so keep in mind if looking for more. Very hard to find someone with an intrest in lawncare today. cheers Russell.

Brad Hay
28-06-2004, 05:18 PM
G'Day Brad from Kallanger ,

I'm from Melbourne mate but Winter is always a slow period as the grass goes dormant in the cooler months . I take it to be a similar deal in QLD ; Just not as cold . Odin has got it right . Get out and put some flyers in letter boxes .
Easycareacres has even offered you some work . Perhaps you could help him out while learning the ropes and building up your round at the same time .

Tony did you really miss a job worth 50k per year . I don't mean to pry but I would be interested to know what it involved , how many men were involved and how many hours they would have been working ? Just say if it is none of my business . You could contact me on
navyblues21@optusnet.com.au

Cheers BRAD HAY

Tonyr
28-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Hi Brad,

I have to keep figures approx. for obvious reasons, it was the tender for the Maryborough Correctional Centre.

I have done 2 work orders there last year, lots of work!

This helped me know exactly how long jobs took, security downtime etc, thought I had a chance, especially I am as far as I know the only one around this area with a mower as productive as mine.

Anyway Christmas time 3 contractors were invited to tender, today they finally notified everyone, I obviously was beaten on price this year, this was the 1st time they have tendered as jail is new.

Be interesting if these guys keep their price low for the next 12 month extension.

I will say I'm dissapointed, they loved my work and everyone of us got on, but this company who beat me is 100% commercial nowadays and are a legit company, unlike a lot of ratbags around here pulling around ride ons.

So I lost to a worthy company, good luck to them.

Probably a good thing as they will iron out the bugs so it will be better next time.

Manpower, Just myself. Think I allowed 2 days min a week...not sure. Plus big perimeter. only guessing, the 50K included spray and fert too off memory. The price seems a lot but they wanted a huge amount done, I mean anormous amounts!
I couldn't imagine doing the work with anything smaller than my Toro, they have a Walker I was told, can be sure it won't last a year there and will be far toooo slow and they don't know the turf isn't laid on a smooth base, it is like corrugations...advantage of been there done that and priced accordingly, no wander I lost, they think it is smooth fast...not!

I can't remember now details and can't say here anyway but there was alot of work, all ride on. lots of spraying, lots of trimming, huge job! I set myself up for this scope on the work orders so was organised, and which should of helped keep my price down too...oh well, anyone can go in cheap to tie up jobs, but many later find it is bigger than they thought.

This I know from experience....

Not much commercial ride on stuff around, and the domestic market sucks from guys working for beer money, wander why I bother sometimes.

If I could get into another more income stable business I'd be outa this in a flash, to get govn. work you have to almost do it free, you just can't run these big mowers in a very limited finance strapped market and earn anything. I'm thinking realistically that the market for my machine isn't big or sound enough to be viable long term.

Russ, you looking for a subbie? (kidding)

Easycareacres
29-06-2004, 12:42 PM
haa Tony, no but will want an operator when season kicks off. {on scags}
Just found out this morn have more garden work owe man, will have to be a 6 man team. Dont want to buy another vechile.
Will have 3 machines when season picks up. :cool:

screwdriverphillips
29-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Hello all,
I thought I better join or you guys wont talk to me.Ive just set up my business Ezy Mowing in Mandurah WA.Started advertising in local paper and put out flyers waiting for some response.Ihave a 26inch Mey reel which can be converted to a vertimower a Mey edger a 4stroke Whippersnipper,tanaka blower and Honda rotary.
The business is full time.Ive just returned a month from working at Comalco in Gladstone I was there for 4months with wife and kids but we didnt like Queensland that much or should I say we didnt realise how much we like WA.Prior to that been in the mining industry for 15years making alumuna ,nickel,zirconia in process roles.
Have worked partime lawnmowing for years but not in Mandurah and not for 4years. I enjoy lawnmowing and thats why decided to go full time and do something I like as life is not a dress rehearsal.
Thats a little bit about me other Im married with 2 teenage kids we love our sport, Im a Fremantle Dockers Supporter and Ill be 40 in a couple weeks time.
So hope the work starts coming.
Regrds Greg
Ezy Mowing
Melros,Mandurah WA

Stuie
29-06-2004, 04:35 PM
haa Tony, no but will want an operator when season kicks off. {on scags}
Just found out this morn have more garden work owe man, will have to be a 6 man team. Dont want to buy another vechile.
Will have 3 machines when season picks up. :cool:

Where do i send my resume?? :cool: LOL

Stuart :aus-flag:

Easycareacres
29-06-2004, 06:24 PM
nice to hear from you scrw driver philips, lovely place perth had big desion either wa or qld, you have good gear so youll have more time to get on with it. cheers sandgroper.

Brad Hay
29-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the information on the Prison contract Tony . I really appreciate you being so up front with me . I am at a stage where I want to move my business to the next level and was weighing up the ride on option . Thanks to you I won't be in such a hurry to jump into that area .

Thanks Brad Hay

Tonyr
29-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Hi Brad,

My experience is probably not the best to go on, and my area here is very limited.

Russ is into this industry a big way and could be more helpful.

Don't want to turn you off, I still earn well, more than many push mower guys even, but equiptment does cost more....I just really want more security and big jobs esp. govn etc. Get into the big money.

Please don't let me effect your decision or thoughts, my area is very different to yours.

There is money in the ride on world, just need to keep the thing cutting to get it, and I don't advertise directly or approach businesses which I should so someone more motivated than me could do a lot better than me.

Easycareacres
30-06-2004, 11:57 AM
To true said Tony, At present would be scary if you are thinking of upgrading to ride on work. Reason winter seems to be our slump, Im home 12.00 noon first day ever ive been home as no work. Fortnightly mows are now 6 and 8 weekly so if purchasing and work not available can give a little tension with no money for repayments. Sit out winter valuate your work you have before taking on new gear. My wife used to carry me through in winters with payments and makes it tough if you have a young family to suport.

Brad Hay
30-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks Russ ,

I probably will get a ride on eventually ; Probably withinthe next two years . For financial reasons I'll probably start out with a lawn tractor type and build up the business around my regular work . In the future , if the work is available I could move up to one of those cool z type models . Does ZTR stand for Zero Turning Radius ?
Just got married three months ago and have our first baby comming in three weeks . The ride on idea is aimed at setting my new family up for a good future . I'm fairly fit but the push mowing and particularly the gardening takes its toll . If I can take the preasure off with some ride on stuff I'll probably be able to keep it up for a bit longer .
Thanks again Tony and Russ .

Thanks BRAD HAY

Easycareacres
30-06-2004, 07:33 PM
yes Brad when time is right youll know. I started with push mowers lost 2 stone every summer got so sick of customers etc got out of mowing for couple years then returned. Youll know when the times right to purchase most is drive I found to further oneself.
If you love playing with machinery a big bonus as no shop bills also.

Pres Lawn
30-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Wow Russ from fortnightly to 6-8 weeks that wouldnt send me grey, it would send me bloody WHITE !!!!!!!! Is it always like that in winter? or just a bad season?

Brad
02-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks to all who welcomed me. Its good to have a place to discuss this business. I have read most posts and have picked up some valuable info. I have plenty of questions, so will hit you all with em soon enough. cya

Regards
Brad

Easycareacres
02-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Pres Lawn lol I am going grey haaa Home again noon today but love it need time out having few scotches.
Im on the job 700.am to 6.30 when busy so rest up maintain and enjoy.

matthew pitman
05-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi there guys new to this forum so bare with me

Just brought a lawn mowing business about four months ago
good fun love being out doors beats wearing a tie.

ive got about 90 customers 40% strata and real estate,40% industrail and acerage and 20% domestic

got a 1 1/2 tonne delta and a fully enclosed trailer with hides the
offsider
walker 42" deck petrol
two tanaka brush cutters
two tanaka blowers (one a back pack type)
atom egder
honda mower
tanaka hedge trimer
tanaka chain shaw
and heaps more
also got a murry ride on side dischagre type as my spare
and honda self propelled
honda high pressure water cleaner
tanaka kick ass brushcutter with shoulder strap thing
thats about all i can think of at the moment
looking for more work and working on what type of advertising i should do any ideas would be great
cheers
matthew
premier lawn services
campbelltown /sydney

Easycareacres
05-07-2004, 07:09 PM
good to hear from you matt, you sound all equip and ready.

Tonyr
05-07-2004, 07:10 PM
G'Day Matthew!

Welcome to the madness mate!

Lots of people here with lots of helpful answers here, don't be scared to jump in and ask.

Just watch out for the Kiwis mate, we couldn't hide from em! LOL!
(just kidding)

You will learn fast that those who ride yellow or orangy coloured mowers are a bit of a worry, but ya didn't hear that from me! ha, ha~

Easycareacres
05-07-2004, 07:11 PM
tony im aussie got papers lol

Tonyr
05-07-2004, 07:29 PM
ha, ha ya bugger, ya more bloody Aussie than me! I don't have papers! CRIKEY!! :frightene

Easycareacres
05-07-2004, 08:01 PM
what no papers ? better export you to nz then.

Tonyr
05-07-2004, 08:59 PM
HA HA HA, Was waitin for that ya bugger! LOL!

Where are them there sheep farms eh?

Need boots too won't I?

aRE YA BUSH WACKA!

Easycareacres
06-07-2004, 02:31 PM
{map} up near hervey bay somewhere to find brothel, look for toro shop lol baa :russ:

Tonyr
06-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Funny fella aren't ya!

HA HA HA!

Touche!

I'll pay that one!

ratherbfishing
09-07-2004, 05:58 AM
hi guys my gear is as follows

3 honda box mowers 21" cuts 535 536 536 hydrostatic drive
2 chain saws one stihl felling saw and a efco topping saw for prunning and climbing.
2 stihl brushcutters or strimmers as we know them
1 stihl blower/shreder vac
1 stihl hedge trimmer
2 trucks ford transit tipper and toyota 4x4 hi lux

65 private clients
5 commercial sites

cheers regards paul

Tonyr
09-07-2004, 09:04 AM
You have all you need to play the game as a pro over here mate, quality gear! Nice trucks too!

APS_QLD
30-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Well after reading most in this string i figured this may as well be my first post.

I am in Queensland and have a full time job (shift work) and this business was started up for my son who was keen on gardening. Not having ever in my dreams considered doing this as a job but alas here i am. Having run a renovation business for 17 years i figured i just had to rejig my approach. First up research which delivered me to this site to get an insite on what to expect and after talking this out i joined up as a member.

We fired off with a my old rover 35 (18" cut) and a whipper snipper, I had leaflets made up and delivered them around the neighbourhood and scored a few jobs. This was followed up with the local paper and things moved along quite well. A couple of years down the track I now have a new (2nd hand) ute 7x5 trailer 2 rover mowers, echo blower and echo vac, komatsui whipper snipper, shindiwia chainsaw, echo extendable chainsaw plus a few others that i cannot think off at the moment.

My cliental is not huge however they all pay on time which is a big plus. My group is made up of mostly residental although i'm looking at moving into more commercial. Albiet i'm at cross roads as my son whom the business was developed has moved interstate for 6 months to learn more on the gardening field. Me i'm left to hold things together, no sooner had he gone and ross river fever came back to lay me down for a few weeks. At least all our clients understood and have waited for my return. Now that i'm back sort of on deck i'm ready to crank up this business and build it as big as i can and be manageable.

I also cater for tree lopping, weeding, hedging, rubbish removal, and garden care.

Sorry for the ramble, anyway that us.

Tonyr
30-07-2004, 07:10 AM
Welcome to this forum mate!

I hope you and your son do well and continue to grow, good on yas!

Where in Qld are you?

I'm in Hervey Bay...the driest town in OZ!

APS_QLD
30-07-2004, 08:19 AM
I'm from The Gap in Brisbane where the grass cracks as you walk on it. That is if you can find grass :).

Money is earnt not in lawn mowing but in search fees to find it.

Tonyr
30-07-2004, 09:38 AM
ha, ha mate, I'll pay that, very funny!

been awhile since I've had to sharpen blades, that dry even the ants have packed up and left! Even the weeds aren't growing this year....the brewery will close next just to top it off, ha ,ha.

dvmcmrhp52
30-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Well gday to all you aussie's,
new member to some,old grouchy fella to others,eh tony and ebony?

For us it's my brother and myself,1 full time 1 part time and a bunch of other helpers when the need arises for installs,mulching etc.,3 of the finest adjustable height rotary turf manicuring machines manufactured by none other than
"the other RED company" (exmark for those of you who aren't privy to the inside joke), Various 21" mowers,A load of stihl equipment (trimmers,hedge trimmers,chainsaws,handheld and backpack blowers,etc.)
We are continuing to grow and looking to add another mowing crew and mower next season.(maybe the "other red" Eh?LOL!)
We continue to take on new accounts but I'm not sure there is room for much more in the schedule for this year.Things have exeeded our expectations for this year.We are truly fortunate.........
Enough of me,I'm looking to learn more about the good people like Tony and Ebony from across the pond.
Avagoodone mates................

Tonyr
30-07-2004, 12:39 PM
G'Day Dave, ava feeling we've met before?

Welcome mate!

3 of the finest adjustable height rotary turf manicuring machines manufactured by none other than
"the other RED company" (exmark for those of you who aren't privy to the inside joke),

O Pleeeease! You talkin' latin again?
Love your description of a poor mans Toro! ha, ha!

What is that other description you used once before...may of been on odins forum when we were joking around there one day...it was clever too!

anyway, thanks for comin old bloke!

dvmcmrhp52
30-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Can't remember the description,but I do remember the comment on odin's forum...................

Poor man's toro????
;frosty; :who-knows
HaHaHaHa..................
Not all of us Poor Americans can keep up with you rich folks down under..........................LOL!

Time for a cold one and a warm bed.........................
Have a good evening.

bradtez
30-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi guys, thought i may as well post my first comments in this thread. I was an aeronautical engineer flying a desk and never seeing the sun. My wife said her brother used to mow lawns for a bit of cash when her was younger "why not" i thought. Bought a Honda 195HRU, echo blower and whipper snipper, got a trailer built and away i went. Being in Canberra there are a lot of ummm "lazy" public servants. I advertised only by letterbox drops and now dont advertise at all (been doing this for a little over 12 months). I do lawnmowing, pruning, reticulatrion etc etc.

Winter slowed things down a little which is only natural on a -8 degree night. Bought myself a new K9-3 dingo..WOW..not sure if im going to have anymore time to mow lawns come springtime. What a fantastic investment. :)

Brad

Brad's Backyard mini diggers & landscaping

ryancronin
31-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi guys, thought i may as well post my first comments in this thread. I was an aeronautical engineer flying a desk and never seeing the sun. My wife said her brother used to mow lawns for a bit of cash when her was younger "why not" i thought. Bought a Honda 195HRU, echo blower and whipper snipper, got a trailer built and away i went. Being in Canberra there are a lot of ummm "lazy" public servants. I advertised only by letterbox drops and now dont advertise at all (been doing this for a little over 12 months). I do lawnmowing, pruning, reticulatrion etc etc.

Winter slowed things down a little which is only natural on a -8 degree night. Bought myself a new K9-3 dingo..WOW..not sure if im going to have anymore time to mow lawns come springtime. What a fantastic investment. :)

Brad

Brad's Backyard mini diggers & landscaping

Hi Brad Can you tell me if you want to how much the dingo was i was thinking of buy one what other stuff do you need and what type of work are you doing with it

bradtez
31-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Ryan, it cost just over 40k. For that money i got a new K9-3, 4 in 1 bucket, rippers, 100-150mm trencher, post hole driller and three different size augers, plu s apurpose built trailer.

As for the work im doing, anything from ripping up old lawns to trenching work for plumbers, holes for fencing and retaining walls to moving soils/mulches etc. Certainly MUCH better and quicker than the ole pick, shovel and wheelbarrow!!!

Hope that this helps you somewhat.

Brad