PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

MikeD
28-06-2007, 05:36 PM
What shoes do you wear when working? I have wide feet and find it hard to shoes. Just any sort of gardening shoe would be good but i dont know where to buy them.

cadase
28-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I Wear Steel Capped Workboots
they look great with my Mankini :frightene

63impala
28-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Same here and the mankini

locust
28-06-2007, 07:52 PM
The hobbits from lord of the rings when not filming were often seen wearing bloodstones

MikeD
29-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Used to wear steel caps but they were fairly heavy, I wear snaekers at the moment. Awsome replys thanks hehe.:)

Lancat
29-06-2007, 09:49 PM
For the pasted 3 years I have been wearing Redback Boots. I'm a heavy set bloke and really put my footwear to the test. I get between 9 & 12 months out of a pair of boots. For me, that’s pretty wearing. They are also 100% Australian made

Lancat
29-06-2007, 10:20 PM
MikeD I have the same problem with shoe width. My feet are width size E. The leather in the Redbacks mould very well. I have never had a pair split. Can’t say that about another will known ex Australian made boot.

NWGL
29-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I wear the Redbacks too - they normally last me about 12 months.

MikeD - I know steel caps are heavy, but you get used to them quick enough.

I'd never wear anything else when mowing a lawn. One slip is all it takes & the sneakers wouldn't stand a chance.

Oh, and I don't wear a mankini :frightene :o

Mrs HMS
30-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Redbacks do fit wider feet and they stretch pretty well. Leather shoes can be stretched if you really PACK them full of damp newspaper overnight - you can buy shoe stretchers also (although not sure where, maybe bootmakers/repairers).

From and OH&S point, steel caps are the only way to go. You run over the tip of your foot with a mower you won't just need new shoes, you'll need new toes.

Wggc
30-06-2007, 10:57 AM
i have to wear hiking boots when i work due to occ health n safety rules (tree work ) as we are always workin on uneven ground etc , i got blundstone boots & have found them to be great , i like em much better than their "slip ons" !! they're steel capped & have plenty of room across so those with wide feet should cope no drama :laughin

I wear mine everywhere now & when i decide to go fulltime mowing etc , i shall continue to wear them as they've saved my ankles more than once & i still have a nagging ankle injury from yr's ago when i only wore normal safety boots !!!!!!! :dean: im sure a few of you out there have stepped in a unseen hole in someone's backyard !!! :sad: sure there's a lot cheaper options but then what sort of price are you going to pay recovering from injury !!!!!!!!!! :wave-hi: cheers

mowjoman
01-07-2007, 07:38 AM
My two bob.....I've always in any job worn high or 1/4 cut Blue Steel boots. Very soft soles and seem to last me ages. I always put dubbin on them also, I find it makes the leather softer, waterproofs and extends their life somewhat. Best of all their Aussie owned and made (in WA I believe). :aus-flag: ;)
Only starting out so I haven't mowed too many lawns in them yet but so far so good. :wave-hi:

locust
01-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Get steel caps as I have seen first hand someone slip under a push rotary mower and he ended up losing half his big toe and the tops off two others and he was wearing leather non steel cap boots. Hate to see what it would do to someone in sneakers. Yesterday I saw a girl about 7 or 8 years old mowing the front lawn with a baby sitting on the grass totally unsupervised and in bare feet. But I'm jumping to conclusions here maybe she was MOWERGIRL on the job. I myself prefer to wear lace up boots for ankle protection. I use the Taipan fire fighting boots because there waterproof, fire resistant and have a steel toe cap and also a steel sole spike protection plate. They cost about $240 but as far as I,m concerned you only have I set of wheels so spoil em. :ebony:

MikeD
15-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys Ive bought some redbacks. Fit my wide feet very well. Mine are not steel caps im mainly trying to do gardening jobs, more Horticultral soft work :P. Im just trying to set myself up in the long run as i know im getting arthritis, the vibrating machines hurt my hands. Im only 27 so it sucks.

ian
15-08-2007, 10:51 PM
i'm currently wearing bloodstone 350's and i'm a triple e

twin_cities_lawncare
15-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Both of us wear steel capped boots...he wears the lace-up kind for extra support, she the slip on version to save time. Both of us have wide feet, and have had a variety of boots over time. The current lace-up Hard Yakka boots are doing well and the King slip-ons are fit for a queen - very comfy ;)
We both have diabetes so we need to take extra care of our feet, but we would wear safety boots anyway, for OHS reasons in this kind of work. Even if we were just gardening, there is always a chance of damaging feet with assorted sharp objects - the other day we were cutting some haliconias down to ground level and our boots have some teethmarks from the saw that would otherwise have bitten into our flesh. I shudder at the thought of not wearing proper footwear... :frightene
(Good quality socks under the safety boots help pad the toes and soles too, making them even more comfy - I recommend Explorer socks!)

heggie
16-08-2007, 07:54 AM
i have been using King Gee ,very easy on your feet , but dont last all that long if you do lots of walking (most of us do) . i think i will try redbacks next . i use to wear steel toe cap trainers a few years ago, but you have no ankle support on uneven ground. :eek:
cheers heg

lethal
17-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I wear bare feet, that way I save money and they have lasted years so far, they came as a package deal :laughing:

ian
20-08-2007, 10:26 PM
dropped a rock on my foot today thank god for steel caps

heggie
02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
just got some new blundstones boots and some sole padding. its like walking on air ! . cheers heggie

JJR
02-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Had a pair of Redbacks for over a year now, they have removable/replacable insoles.
Very comfortable ;) and with replacable insoles (usually the first thing to wear out) they have outlasted others that I've had.
Another great Australian product. :aus-flag: :wave-hi:
Cheers John. :)

m287j
02-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I thought someone told me Redbacks aren't made in Australia or am i thinking of another boot manufacturer ?

Everyone seems to rave about Redback so i think i might try them next, i have always worn Hard Yakka steel cap slip on boots before, comfortable but don't last long, longest pair has lasted me 9 months.

administrator
02-11-2007, 09:38 PM
GREAT THREAD ON SHOES

Farewell to another Aussie Icon SHOES

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1277&highlight=REDBACK

JJR
02-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Matt,

Redback claim to be 100% Australian Made & Owned, I must admit that I wasn't sure about their boots a few years ago, but the ones they make now are great. Other boots I have owned have either cracked across the bottom of the sole or worn out the insole, no probs so far with my redbacks, and they are the most comfortable pair of work boots i've owned. Cheers John.

wombat
02-11-2007, 09:50 PM
switched to Olivers a long time ago...I saw a bloke today(VIP mowing) cutting with a pair of slippers on ( I swear they were slippers) we were piissing ourselves :p :p :p

dan1312
02-11-2007, 09:50 PM
redbacks are easily the best boot ive ever worn. id say there more comfortable than my runners. i put 2 of my mates on to em and they love em too. i will never buy another brand. if they stopped making em today id go out and buy 20 pairs.

mowjoman
31-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Agree dat...I bought my 1st pair of Redbacks about a month ago and I love em' the blue steel I was wearing were good too but I found them too cumbersome in the end...These slip on T boot style redbacks are fantastic :wave-hi: :aus-flag:

forevergreen
31-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Tryed lots of brands.The last two pair have been Redbacks
a bloody good boot.

geoff
31-01-2008, 08:59 PM
bloodstone with steel cap , tripped over last year and the blades cut the end of the boot... got up red faced but thanks to the steel caps my toes are good.... they heavier but hey who cares ...before that i used have now steel cap and hand shears dropped fron the ladder onto the boot and pieced my toe ... no work fo a week...praise the steel cap...

lawn order
31-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Thongs are the go - and quadruple the A&E insurance @ Deans!

mowjoman
01-02-2008, 07:17 AM
:laughing: ah yes the ol' Japanese safety boot...

Bgs
11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I brought a pair of Ascent boots from the athletes foot last October and they have been the best boots I have ever owned. They are like a comfy pair of runners and their slogan is boots you can run in.

They use a carbon fiber or Kevlar (I think) cap which meets the same Australian standards as steel caps which makes them very light and they have the same cushioning as running shoes they were about $180 I have had them for nearly 11 months and are still in great condition the only thing is sole is quite worn down but you would expect that.

Defiantly getting a another pair.

Bluey
11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I use Mack steel caps. They are so light and comfy I wear them all the time. I have two sets. I wear them reffing at paintball and run all over the place in them there. Without doubt a great boot

Andy B
12-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Steel capped blundstones for me, have the elastic sides for now, walked on hot coals and wrecked my lace up ones :(

My brother tells me the elastic sided ones are banned in the mines.

Redeye
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Lace ups for me - I like the extra support around the ankles :)