PDA

View Full Version : mowing new turf

Pain in the Grass
21-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Hey guys.... I'm looking to quote on a commerical job where the turf was laid about 4 - 6 weeks ago. With the cold dry weather here it doesnt look to have grown that much since it was laid...I'm figuring no one has watered or fertilised it since it was put down..

Pretty sure it's buffalo.... Question is...If I get the job to mow it...should it be top dressed first (fill in any gaps where it was laid) or mow it then do that after....Cos, it is dry, I don't want to kill it off by mowing....Am I making sense here??? I'm not a horticulturist, nor have I had any actual training in turf care..Just mow the damn things. But I want it to be a real good job and make it a showpiece for my business.

Any ideas guys. :i dunno:

Easycareacres
21-06-2004, 06:11 PM
G'day Pain n Grass, well im no expert either but I have to mow new turf weekly, sometimes 3 weeks from layed out. Ask your company if they want to pay for fert etc. Im told to mow low and scuff out the highs. Also im very lucky as water trucks watering turf to keep it growing. We have speacil american breeds that only require mowing every 2-3 months with very small foilage. I would ask to :russ: see if they want to pay more fisrt.

Pain in the Grass
21-06-2004, 06:29 PM
cheers easy..thanks for the info...Yeah, I guess it all comes down to how much they want top pay. If I do get the job, I would probably put in time for nothing just it get it up to scratch. It's in a high visibility area that may prove beneficial for my business.....A resume on dirt if you like!! :laughing:

Pres Lawn
23-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Ok, first off you have to ask if it has been fertilised and is the turf been watered at the moment. If not and they don't want it fertilised (only use a organic fertiliser) at this stage I wouldn't cut to short as the grass roots have not established yet. As for top dressing the turf it is too immature so best to wait to the growing season this also apply's for fertilising.The fertiser to use should have a NPK ratio of N=10+ P=1 K=6+ this is only an e.g.
Good Luck

Pain in the Grass
24-06-2004, 06:00 PM
cheers guys,,thanks for the responses...I will take it all on board

Indyanswer
24-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Rick its in the manuel have you got it yet or did you read the bits you wanted to lol :russ: :aus-flag:

Pain in the Grass
25-06-2004, 07:47 PM
manual??????? which manual???? :i dunno:

Ebony
25-06-2004, 07:59 PM
lol Pain in the Grass, that would be Fastrak to success manual that he was refering to. Some tips provided in the book on manual on mowing new Lawns (Chapter 19) Also mentions in this chapter that you can give advice on such issues but always put the responsibility back on the owner. Which is actually a really good point IMO

Ebony

Stuie
27-06-2004, 10:34 AM
I dont think it will need top dressing if they have done a proper job.The warm weather and rain when it comes :laughing: will make it fill out those gaps between rolls.
Probably it wont need mowing for at least another 4-6 weeks if not longer.If you do mow it just take the lightest top off it.I wouldnt be unhappy if i got an eighth of a catcher on the first mow at this time of the year.
Dont fertilise it now just a waste of time and effort.
STUART
Sydney :aus-flag:

Pain in the Grass
27-06-2004, 02:03 PM
thanks guys....

good advice