PDA

View Full Version : Gutter guards

Whip Snip 'N' Clip
20-09-2007, 01:26 PM
I have had a couple of clients asking me about gutter guards ( I supose they are getting ready for the hot weather).
Just wanted to know if anyone out there has any suggestions on which ones to use, as there are many different ones on the market.
Thanks.
George
Whip Snip 'N' Clip
Kellyville

administrator
20-09-2007, 03:02 PM
www.leafbusters.com.au/

Whip Snip 'N' Clip
20-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks I will look them up.
George
Whip Snip 'N' Clip

Ability
20-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Gumleaf gutterguards - sensational product, now available for DIY at most Bunnings stores & installers across the country.
:aus-flag:
www.gumleafgutterguard.com

ian
01-10-2007, 12:09 AM
in my opinion the plastic roll on stuff from the hardware store causes more problems than it's worth

Ability
01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Gummleaf gutter guard is NOT plastic - it is all metal and has the best fire rating available! :aus-flag:

ian
01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
sorry for any confusion with my post i think the gumleaf and leafbuster systems are good it's the cheap plastic stuff that people buy in rolls that i think is rubbish

Lancat
02-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Ask a plumber about any of the leaf stoping products and most will give them the thumbs down.
Reasons being leaf litter still gather in the roof valleys, Dusk still gets washed off the roof and into the gutter. Silt and broken down leaf litter (small particles) still gathers in the gutter, the small holes in the gutter protector block up, when repairing of replacing damaged or old guttering the client expects the plumber replace there expensive gutter guard as well and my biggest beef, they are imposable to remove to clean the gutters from silt build up.

An elderly family member of mine last year made an enquiry with one of the mobs advertising on the television. A sale person came to her home a few weeks later. The quote was in the thousands and basically they wanted her to sign up on the spot and hassled her for month after.

Ability
03-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Agree - they don't stop the silt and small particles, but in most conditions it takes many years for the silt etc to build up and if you flush them regularly you minimise any impact. If you get 10-20 years of not having to get up there (or pay someone) to clear the leaves and muck you've gotta be in front I reckon! :wave-hi:

Ability
04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Also I should also mention that as you can see on their website they are the only company that cleans out the silt as part of their service and their product is Bluescope colorbond steel, The same as the gutters. :Rain:

Give 'em a try, I've recommended them to many of my regular customers and they have all come back with glowing reports! :aus-flag:

administrator
04-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I think i would try the metal Type flyscreen on my gutters

see how it goes has anybody else used that type b4

the pic is a metal pro guard

Ability
08-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Not too sure what type you mean admin? Does it stand up to UV?? :i dunno:

administrator
08-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Metal stands up to UV no probs i would of thought

bb1
08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I have installed the plastic rolls stuff, and find that it does not sit snuggly in the gutters, and still get build up between the gutter and the plastic, also as most of my clients are in a high fire risk, I would not recommend the.

One client has the metal type guards, and by what I can tell they work very well, they overlap the tiles, so there is minimal area for build up in comparison to the plastic type, and obviously for our area I am guessing better for reducing the risk of fires.

heggie
10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I have installed the plastic rolls stuff, and find that it does not sit snuggly in the gutters, and still get build up between the gutter and the plastic, also as most of my clients are in a high fire risk, I would not recommend the.

One client has the metal type guards, and by what I can tell they work very well, they overlap the tiles, so there is minimal area for build up in comparison to the plastic type, and obviously for our area I am guessing better for reducing the risk of fires.

spot on bb1 i have fitted both sorts , the wind blows off twigs with the profiled metal or wire gutter guards, but the plastic or metal roll, always collects twigs . when i go back to the houses that i have fitted the cheap roll stuff, it looks like crows are nesting . lol people always think they are saving money , but in the long run they have to get new guttering as well because the composting waste has rusted holes in the gutter . last year i had to fit some gutter to 8 year old house because the gutters were never cleaned .just rusted away .(colourbond ) cheers heggie

lawn order
11-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a lot of holiday houses vacant when I work.
I charge to remove plastic gutter guards with soil, roots & trees.
I clean "low slope easy access" gutters with my blower in the Autumn when the litter is dry - done on a regular basis its money for figjam.
For gutters that have a heavy load of trash and silt I have made a water spray injector that fits in my blower outlet tube.
Stand back - lots of air - water - and gutter crap all over.
I also use my blower to spread bluestone fungacide over tennis courts to stop algae in the winter
I also hook up my sprayer to the blower and cover large trees with white oil and bordeaux spray etc.
A blower can give you the edge on big some big jobs.
if you want more info only to glad to supply.

lawn order
11-10-2007, 09:57 PM
P.S.
Things are dry but maybe we can help each other.
While on safe roofs this year I have noticed a huge deterioration in the Tec screws on roofs.
I reconed that with no rain rinse the salt build up was causing accelerated corrosion.
Talk to customer, stand back, point out the rust problem.
REPLACE SCREWS FOR HUNDREDS OR WAIT AND REPLACE THE COMPLETE ROOF FOR THOUSANDS.
A good driver - new Tec screws , you make a good Dollar and save the customer thousands.
Everyone is a winner.
I encourage you to send your mates earning tips.

lawn order
11-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Good idea Lawn Order - Here's another tip.
If you spot bird **** on the front patio or such this is a sure fix.
One inch bird wire - leave one full square and cut off the next horizontal leaving a row of one inch spikes.
Staple - spikes up - to the bird's perching beam.
I have noticed that birds will not land there because the spikes tickle their armpits when they land or take off.
I am also trialing this on a TV antenna over a tin roof used to collect rain water.
I am using all plastic one inch mesh attatched with plastic zippy ties so as no reception interferience.
Sofa Sogood.

bb1
29-08-2008, 12:08 AM
For gutters that have a heavy load of trash and silt I have made a water spray injector that fits in my blower outlet tube.
Stand back - lots of air - water - and gutter crap all over.
I also use my blower to spread bluestone fungacide over tennis courts to stop algae in the winter
I also hook up my sprayer to the blower and cover large trees with white oil and bordeaux spray etc.
A blower can give you the edge on big some big jobs.
if you want more info only to glad to supply.

Hey Lawn order just found this post, how do you connect your blower up to the sprayer, sounds like something that would be useful on some of my jobs.

lawn order
01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Pump action sprayer, 5l or more.
A couple of metres of outlet tube extra.
1 x 7mm o/d tube to mount micro sprinklers in irrigation systems.
This seems to put out about the right amount and hold it’s shape when bent.
Heat the tube and gently bend to about 45.
Drill a hole to suit tube 150mm from the end of blower outlet.
Tube should only poke about 5-10mm inside.
Set blower on desired revs {3/4}
Sling spray on shoulder and pump slowly.
The spray should reach up at least 6m.
A large fruit tree takes a couple of minutes.
My blower outlet is round all the way.
It is a cheap fix and can be reinstated with 100mph tape.
PS For a quickie window clean I use a soapy broom on my windows then rinse with this unit.
A bit rough, but not a bad result using recycled Yfront rinse water.
Give it a burl - it works for me - you might have to adapt
BB is the only king-hit i lurve to be on the receiving end of.