PDA

View Full Version : Staff

bb1
27-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Just won a tender for a large Body Corporate and need to put someone on one day a week to help out.
Does anyone employ staff, if so what rates do you pay? We are going to contact Wageline or what ever they call themselves, but just interested to see what others are paying

BNE
27-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey

Have a look at the Industrial Relations Website, under Horticulture. You will see the award rate. Than you decide what pay is right. We employ part time staff that we know. We pay them more than the award rate as they are good workers and are capable of working on there own ......

BNE

NWGL
27-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Another idea is to mention it to other contractors you see around.

I know a guy who uses an off-sider part time. His off-sider is still looking for work on his free days.

Getting someone you know or who is recommended can save you time & headaches down the track.

chaplain
28-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Minefield lets see where this goes lol :Rain:

Islandhead
28-09-2007, 11:29 AM
When you hire staff do you have to fill in lots of forms etc to take into account insurance, super for your staff and things like that? Or is it just a case of paying them cash and putting it on your books?

NWGL
28-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Personally I use subbies.

They have their own business, their own equipment & generally know how to use it.

Can use them from day one - much easier than training someone new.

Downside - they have their own business.

Once they get busy their jobs tend to take preference & yours can start to suffer.

Build up a good relationship with them, be upfront about what you expect from them & don't stuff them around.

Treat them right & they usually treat you right.

If you want to take on a staff member, try using a subbie first.

Gives you an idea what to expect when dealing with staff & more importantly if you lose the job or your work suddenly dries up, you don't have an employee sitting around doing nothing whilst you're paying them. Or worse still, you won't need to terminate them.

Also, it will give you some time to find a suitable employee.

If all goes well, you get experience managing someone and you'll know that your business can support not only you, but them as well.

lethal
29-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Subbies are the way to go

Ability
03-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Bruce - can you get you're mate who is looking for work to call me, I need a part-timer quiet often.

Shane. 9899 ****:aus-flag:

NWGL
03-10-2007, 10:05 PM
He's working with me tomorrow & friday.

I'll mention it to him then. :wave-hi:

holdenhead
05-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Just want to know how to keep subbies from taking my customers in a residential mowing buisness?

lethal
05-10-2007, 05:23 AM
get someone trustworthy, its a risk, but usually the customer won't want to change, especially if you have had them for a while.

The other way to go is get them so sign a contract stating that they will not poach any of you clients and if they do they will be prosecuted.

administrator
05-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Customers choice on who they have cutting there lawns all the peperwork in the world wont stop customer choice .
They may find the subbie much better than you or prefer the worker more so than you

Franchise companies have the same problem when the franchisee leaves he takes his customers with him sooner or later
Generally they set it up b4 they leave

Courts cant stop a customer from selecting who they want to cut their lawns

NWGL
05-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Treat your subbies right & hope they do the right thing by you.

More importantly - make sure your customers are happy.

If I see them when i'm there, I stop & have a chat - build up a relationship with them. Some jobs I never see the customer so I call them every now & again to make sure they are happy with the work.

I tell my subbies that if a customer approaches them, they can say hi & chat about the weather etc, but any requests or questions are to be referred to me - no exceptions.

I also talk to them about poaching work - tell them that a "former subbie" ;) tried to pinch a job from me once. I tell them that my customers are very loyal & when it happened the customer told me straight away. As it's a small world out there & once I told a few people, word got around & the "former subbie" no longer works in the industry. :boxer:

You should see the looks on their faces !!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So far, haven't had any dramas.

But to answer your question - you can't stop them. It's a risk that you take when you use subbies. :i dunno:

wombat
06-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Treat your subbies right & hope they do the right thing by you.

More importantly - make sure your customers are happy.

If I see them when i'm there, I stop & have a chat - build up a relationship with them. Some jobs I never see the customer so I call them every now & again to make sure they are happy with the work.

I tell my subbies that if a customer approaches them, they can say hi & chat about the weather etc, but any requests or questions are to be referred to me - no exceptions.

I also talk to them about poaching work - tell them that a "former subbie" ;) tried to pinch a job from me once. I tell them that my customers are very loyal & when it happened the customer told me straight away. As it's a small world out there & once I told a few people, word got around & the "former subbie" no longer works in the industry. :boxer:

You should see the looks on their faces !!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So far, haven't had any dramas.

But to answer your question - you can't stop them. It's a risk that you take when you use subbies. :i dunno:

I've got more business from other experienced contractors by being honest and absolutely loyal to them . We've had some of their customers that have started having a whinge about them, I stay right out it. Head down and pretend i'm mute. :rolleyes:
I've heard of those guys that have tried to bite the hand that feeds them and have been outed very quickly. Dumb form for sure. :mad:

nigelr
22-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Personally I would only consider using a sub-contractor.
I would only use some-one I knew personally, whom I respected as a person, and whose work I respected also.
Any other arrangement could have the potential for unpleasant consquences, which we can all do without!
Cheers.

administrator
26-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Just won a tender for a large Body Corporate and need to put someone on one day a week to help out.
Does anyone employ staff, if so what rates do you pay? We are going to contact Wageline or what ever they call themselves, but just interested to see what others are paying

So how did it pan out

m287j
26-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Another idea is to mention it to other contractors you see around.

I know a guy who uses an off-sider part time. His off-sider is still looking for work on his free days.

Getting someone you know or who is recommended can save you time & headaches down the track.

Hi Bruce,

Is that offsider still looking for work on his days off ? I still need someone 2 to 3 days a week.

Ability
26-10-2007, 07:12 PM
steady on Matt - I asked first!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wave-hi:

m287j
26-10-2007, 07:30 PM
steady on Matt - I asked first!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wave-hi:

Sorry Chief, i will wait my turn. Will let you know if i have any luck in the meantime.

bb1
26-10-2007, 08:19 PM
So how did it pan out

Admin, I have put a casual on, who I know personally , paying him a good rate, without the hassles. May have to look at a permanent later, but this will get me through in the short term. :) :) :aus-flag:

NWGL
27-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Hi Matt,

I'm using him 1-2 days a week at the moment, but he is free the other days.

As I told Mr Ability, he seems to have his good days & his bad days.

He did a garden cleanup a few weeks ago that was as good as I could have done, if not better.

Then on a job the other day he grabbed the whippy & proceeded to absolutely BUTCHER the edges. :dean:

When I calmly pulled him up on it, he just said "Yeah I'm having a shocker today aren't I", and laughed. :mad:

Resisting the urge to shove the whippy up his ar*e, I explained that apart from looking terrible, I could potentially lose the job because of it. Again he laughed it off. :boxer:

So, if you are still interested, PM or call me & I'll give you his details. He lives in Dundas so he isn't that far from you either.

As long as Shane doesn't mind, that is.... ;frosty; :p

m287j
27-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi Matt,

I'm using him 1-2 days a week at the moment, but he is free the other days.

As I told Mr Ability, he seems to have his good days & his bad days.

He did a garden cleanup a few weeks ago that was as good as I could have done, if not better.

Then on a job the other day he grabbed the whippy & proceeded to absolutely BUTCHER the edges. :dean:

When I calmly pulled him up on it, he just said "Yeah I'm having a shocker today aren't I", and laughed. :mad:

Resisting the urge to shove the whippy up his ar*e, I explained that apart from looking terrible, I could potentially lose the job because of it. Again he laughed it off. :boxer:

So, if you are still interested, PM or call me & I'll give you his details. He lives in Dundas so he isn't that far from you either.

As long as Shane doesn't mind, that is.... ;frosty; :p

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info, i will contact you and see what develops provided Shane doesn't want him first. Must say i am not too sure i will let the guy near my brushcutter. Mind you i am surprised he isn't wearing one given the performance he did for you recently.

Bgs
12-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Admin, I have put a casual on, who I know personally , paying him a good rate, without the hassles. May have to look at a permanent later, but this will get me through in the short term. :) :) :aus-flag:

Hi bb1,

What’s involved in putting on a casual? My younger brother has been working with me on big jobs to help me out while I get started.

I want to pay him for his generosity and was wondering what would be the best way to employ him ie casual or set him up with insurance and a abn and pay him as a subbie

bb1
13-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I would set him up as a subbie, that way you don't have to worry about any of the issues like, workcover, super, etc, etc.

twin_cities_lawncare
13-11-2007, 09:00 PM
We have had some of our family work for us too from time to time, especially on big jobs. We pay them an hourly rate and they are covered by our Workers Comp. and insurance. We try and spread their workload out so they pay minimal tax, and make sure they don't go over the threshold where we're required to make super' contributions (about the $450 a month mark) - less paperwork that way ;)
If they had to get an ABN and set up as a subbie, they'd have to outlay $ for their own insurance, etc., so unless they are keen to set up their own "business" and start keeping all the records that go along with it, (and work for quite a few hours, regularly, to make it pay off!!!) I'd be voting just to pay them for casual labour, and deduct a bit of tax if necessary.
That's my 2c worth (or maybe $2, allowing for inflation ;))