PDA

View Full Version : Heard of this company???

lethal
01-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Hey guys n gals,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a company called Service Central and if you have what your thoughts are of them???

Cheers
Lee

administrator
01-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Yes know them well

Keep your money in your pocket

And yes i have spoke to them personally and if u want to hear what we discussed you can call Dean :)

Ability
01-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I too had a call lethal - I always get a bad feeling when companys invite you to an information session and then try to sweeten it up with beers etc!

I won't be attending!! :russ:

lethal
01-10-2007, 03:56 PM
whats Dean's number?

administrator
01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Its on the website www.indmowing.com.au

administrator
01-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi Guys
any body with a pic of a yellow cylinder mower avator is not a member of indy mowing
a contributor of the forum only and appreciated

www.indmowing.com.au

users with there own pic will be asked for there Membership number if we find that they arnt members there avator will be turned into a yellow cylinder mower
if they are a member of indy the avator will stay the same

IF they keep changing back to there pic then they will be banned

This is so the members can distinguish whoes who

ian
01-10-2007, 10:22 PM
admin if joanne isn't a member can you make an exception

ian
01-10-2007, 10:26 PM
service central as there add says they ask the person ringing how many quotes do you want but i believe as a member you pay for the lead regardless of whether you get the job or not so the the more quotes the client asks for the more money they make and the less likely you are to get the job

administrator
02-10-2007, 08:09 AM

lol Exceptions

lethal
02-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Yeah and Admin...if I too am not a member can you make an exception for me as well and while you are at it can you make an exception for everyone who has not paid up.

In all seriousness though, I didn't realise that you had to be a paid up member to have your own avatar, actually I didn't realise that you were supposed to pay any money to "Indy Mowing" at all. I thought I was a member as thats what it says under my username. Can you please explain to me what benefits a fully paid up member gets?

Cheers
Lee

NWGL
02-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Can you please explain to me what benefits a fully paid up member gets?

Cheers
Lee[/QUOTE]

Hi Lee,

Have a look the main web page of the site, then click on the ORDER/JOIN tab.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/index.htm

I assume member means you're a member of the forums.

NWGL
02-10-2007, 03:37 PM
whats Dean's number?

I've see a few people ask who's Dean or what his number is.

:)

INDEPENDENT LAWNMOWING CONTRACTORS OF AUSTRALIA CALL DEAN 1800501662

lethal
02-10-2007, 04:05 PM
got ya Bruce!

btw Norths were ROBBED!! :mad: !!

administrator
03-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah and Admin...if I too am not a member can you make an exception for me as well and while you are at it can you make an exception for everyone who has not paid up.

In all seriousness though, I didn't realise that you had to be a paid up member to have your own avatar, actually I didn't realise that you were supposed to pay any money to "Indy Mowing" at all. I thought I was a member as thats what it says under my username. Can you please explain to me what benefits a fully paid up member gets?

Cheers
Lee

Lethal you are a member of the forum only

it does not mean you have to join Indy to be a member of the forum

The Administrators & Members allow you to do that as a privalage not a right to be able to enjoy the forum and we dont take you for granted for being here we appreciate your and other non members of Indys input and great conversation '
By Becoming a member it helps in the business side to keep it going

Lethal are you telling me that you didnt know the website www.indmowing.com.au runs the forum
:wave-hi:

lethal
03-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Cheers Admin...

that's correct, I didn't realise that the forum and the rest of it were not the same, when I saw suddenly that I was a member I just assumed that you must become a fully fledged member once you post a certain amount of times

administrator
03-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I will have to do some more advertising Quick join up lol :laughing:

twin_cities_lawncare
13-11-2007, 11:19 PM
These last few posts have got me wondering a bit, esp after looking through the ILMCOA website a bit. How exactly does the business side of this group work? I'm guessing it's a registered business, owned/ operated/ directed (administered) by Dean, and the "paid-up members" contribute $145 for their start-up business kit and continue to enjoy certain privileges like store discount, etc. that non-members don't get. I assume the giveaways for the forum contributors come out of the "business" profits? :rolleyes:
What about the advertising and referral service for paid-up members? I haven't heard much about that side of things (maybe because we live so far away). Is it still up and running? We have our own advertising budget, but I can see how it might help people who are just starting out. (I'm not sure about the example ad that states "lawns & more from $4 weekly", tho - I'd be wanting a lot more than that in my pocket!!!) ;)

Mellors
28-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Hi Guys
any body with a pic of a yellow cylinder mower avator is not a member of indy mowing
a contributor of the forum only and appreciated

www.indmowing.com.au

users with there own pic will be asked for there Membership number if we find that they arnt members there avator will be turned into a yellow cylinder mower
if they are a member of indy the avator will stay the same

IF they keep changing back to there pic then they will be banned

This is so the members can distinguish whoes who

By pure coincidence, I had just changed my avatar from the yellow mower to the ICLOA member detail, simply because the mower picture looked nothing like what I have, and then I discovered this post. I had not realised that the yellow mower actually signified anything.

I've only been signed up to the forum for a couple of weeks, but did pay up and join ILCOA six months ago. So, I'm kosher and now wearing the badge to prove it!

Perhaps the system could be tweaked so that when someone signs up to the forum, an ICLOA logo becomes the default avatar if the "member of ILCOA?" question is answered "yes".

BTW, I've got "ILCOA Member" written on my business cards and quotation forms - letters look important!

Mrs HMS
28-11-2007, 07:46 AM

Ya ratbag Ian...but fear not Timmy and I are "proud passionate and paid up" and no....that does not mean we are Hawthorn supporters. ;)

administrator
28-11-2007, 08:24 AM
These last few posts have got me wondering a bit, esp after looking through the ILMCOA website a bit. How exactly does the business side of this group work? owned/ operated/ directed (administered) by Dean, and the "paid-up members" contribute $145 for their start-up business kit and continue to enjoy certain privileges like store discount, etc. that non-members don't get. I assume the giveaways for the forum contributors come out of the "business" profits? :rolleyes:
What about the advertising and referral service for paid-up members? I haven't heard much about that side of things (maybe because we live so far away). Is it still up and running? We have our own advertising budget, but I can see how it might help people who are just starting out. (I'm not sure about the example ad that states "lawns & more from $4 weekly", tho - I'd be wanting a lot more than that in my pocket!!!) ;)

You know i love that add "lawns & more from $4 weekly"
I can remember when it first went in the first local paper it caused an uproar contractors called the newspapers complaining that it was illegal advertiseing misleading etc etc
The newspapers editor called me and had a chat and was amused by it all.
i laughed me head off .
He told me what was happening and i said what the hell are they complaining about
He said there reasoning was you cant mow a lawn for $4.00
and naturally i said well nobody nor i mows a lawn for 4 bucks

We do lawns from nature strips to 10 acre paddocks
Example if i cut a nature strip once a month for say 12 bucks thats three dollars weekly so in actuall fact i actually cut a lawn for less than 4 bucks weekly

I cant stand adds that just say the same old same old
Lawnmowing
whippersnipping etc
they know what you do there in the lawnmowing gardening section of the classifieds lol

Its like that customer sees a lawnmower on the back of your trailer and says do you do lawn mowin mate lol

i have allways been amazed people only see what they wanna see and hear what they wanna hear
Advertising is very easy if you know what your doing and as i have said b4 papers dont want your adds to work because if they work in this game your not advertising very long means your not spending dollars with them
Twins why would you sit there and guess how it works because youre so far away youre just around the corner theres a phone on your desk i dont bite and of course forum giveaways come out of my pocket DAMM LOL

Nobody is far away

When people chat to me about how the call centre works i explain and then encourage to discourage them using it by saying why would you pay Indy money for something u can do your selve but there are some people that actually cant take calls for some reason or another or if they do people take offence of there throat disability [ROBOTIC VOICE}as an example

Thats why in the manuel you recieve on joining the chapter on Advertising is one of the most important chapters in the book

The pic below is not about the price its about getting noticed in the jungle of advertrising theres something thats stands out in that add lol

twin_cities_lawncare
28-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for clearing up some of my Qs Dean...and maybe some other members Qs as well eh??? ;). It's nice of you to recycle some of the Indy company profits back to the members from time to time.

It sure pays to advertise in an effective manner and that low-looking price in your ad obviously gets a lot of attention. It makes the $11 min. that we use in our ad' look like we're overcharging ;frosty;

administrator
18-06-2008, 10:12 AM
A franchise which i will leave unnamed tried to sell his leads to service Central the business deal broke down the franchise then started selling his leads to independent contractors for 7.00

What amazes me contractors dont advertise and wonder why there business isnt growing lol

Profit is not a dirty word

lifestyle
18-06-2008, 05:12 PM
But profit is ? :p

I have to agree though, even when a business is developed and going well, advertising is still a key factor because it tells the competition that "I am still here and I mean business"...

Do the Lawns & More $4 P.W. adds still run ? I haven't seen them since i left melbourne.

lawn order
18-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Lawns mowed - complete job - guaranteed results.
Only 50c - Yes Fifty Cents per m2 - square metre.
Limit 3000 customers.

geejay
19-06-2008, 09:35 AM
when we first started out we looked at a number of runs both independent and franchise.there was a $4 cut in one of the franchises runs.we had a look at the run and this cut specifically and it was a viable cut in a cluster of unit cuts.it took the contractor 3-4 min to cut it.we now have a $4 cut of a nt right next to a $60 units cut,it takes 3-4 mins to cut.no stopping just from one to the next.we use the $4 ad and have a a cut for $4.not many people ask,but if they do,we can explain in a authentic manner that we have a lawn that we cut at $4.then ask about their lawn to see if we could posiable cut it at $4,if we cannot ,they understand when we explain the logic behind our genuine $4 cut.

administrator
19-06-2008, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=lifestyle]But profit is ? :p

I have to agree though, even when a business is developed and going well, advertising is still a key factor because it tells the competition that "I am still here and I mean business"...

if you business is going well then u dont need to advertise as your word of mouth will do it for u in this game thats if you are running a quality business these type of companies can build a round in one suburb in no time flat

A company that has been going for a few years and is still going everywhere is just losing money .

85 percent of your work or more in a built up metro area should be your goal

country areas different kettle of fish

Advertising just to let your competition know your there is a waste of money .

Mind your own business is always the key word .

geejay
19-06-2008, 12:48 PM
our young expirance in a garden maintenance round from scratch using Dean's book and mentouring (started jan 08).what we are applying is a balance between referals and advertising.we now have regulars that are very actively refering us,these referals are on the way to becoming regular and refering.advertising brings in one offs and new regulars.some one offs are a segment that pretends to want to be a regular(to get a regular cut price),then do not go regular.we suspect they do this with a circle of contractors.we however do have two that we serviced last in Feb,they called back June,when we asked how long the grass was our records show last service Feb,they said there Dad had cut it.We quoted 20% higher than our last figure.they accepted.they also had to wait a week as we were busy with regulars the week they called(will be interesting to see if they become regular). work now is 50% regular and 50% new comers.which is just mangeable.logically we will phase out weekly advertising to bi weekly as this tips to keeping regulars and their referals happy.then phase out advertising totally and work our inner circle.

lifestyle
19-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Well thats what we were told during our NEIS induction course. Advertising for Brand recognition as opposed to advertising for direct work.

BLACK BEAR
19-06-2008, 04:35 PM
I consider myself to be established :) , I still advertise to suit my purpose, ie slow winter months if needed, build a little commercial work, pick up new good clients to replace others who have sold house etc but I do it to suit my needs and build my market share as I see fit. I REALLY DONT GIVE A S.... WHAT OTHER BUSINESSES THINK, I just look at my monthly, quarterly work schedule and bottom line-that mixed with just a little common sense and some gained experience ( :who-knows dean) helps me make my decisions

geejay
19-06-2008, 04:44 PM
what we do is use the $4 ad to get our toe in the door,we then do quality work at a reasonalble price,win a regular client.from there our brand comes into play on invoices,uniforms,brochures,trialer ,ute,flags,safety gear,etc.if we put our logo brand in the paper ad with we do mowing,tree lopping,edging,ect,ect,we do not think it would grab clients like the $4 ad which stands out so well and gets a excellent response.We have got excellent clients from the $4 ad.yes we do lose brand exposure in the paper,but the ads purpose is to get the client to call us,out of a huge choice of jims,daves,pauls saying i do this etc.
this ad for us says it all,stands out and gets clients calling.the guy that put this ad together is very very smart.we do not have to reinvent the wheel here its all in Deans book.

lifestyle
19-06-2008, 06:16 PM
The term "Advertising" is just a small part of a businesses Marketing mix. All the things you mentioned also form a part of that mix.

Jims is a huge brand, regardless of any franchise negativity. His big boof head can be seen on anything from the side of a van to the side of a pen.

The key is to have your Market think "geejay" or what ever your business name is, instead of Jims when a customer thinks "Lawn Mowing". If you stop advertising or "your brand" goes underground until you "need" work, then the Franchise wins because they are ALWAYS in everyones face.

lifestyle
19-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I should ad, having said that - I am Not saying anything about the $4 ads. I think they are a great idea. But they should be used as a part of the overall marketing mix.

geejay
19-06-2008, 07:00 PM
i suppose it depends were one is coming from and going to as a gardening contractor.we see it at this point in time as a individual business and the brand being the gardener,not corporate.if we used our brand from the start with we do this and that,we believe we would not have grown so quick and profitable.yes,buy spring we could start with our brand in ads,we may and may not.jims is a now a corparate business model that started out like all of us,he was called balwyn mowing,and changed to jims to delocalise and expand,in hind site he should have called himself jims services,as mowing is not what hes only about now.

there has been a major shift in the gardening world to what the customer out there expects of gardening professionals.if this shift is ignored it will be at ones peril,that is how huge the shift is.sustainable gardening pratice is part of that expectation.

lifestyle
19-06-2008, 08:47 PM
there has been a major shift in the gardening world to what the customer out there expects of gardening professionals.if this shift is ignored it will be at ones peril,that is how huge the shift is.sustainable gardening pratice is part of that expectation.

I agree, one of the reasons indy's should brand themselves as professionals in their trade so as to not reflect a typical franchise image.

Buying a franchise is like buying a degree. Anyone can do it, but it doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

I don't know of many people who are "professionals" in any industry who "buy a franchise". Franchises are typically for those who DON'T know what they are doing and are told the "System" will do the work for them... what a load of crock. Systems are GREAT for duplication.. but they can't push a mower!

geoff
19-06-2008, 08:47 PM
black bear someone who talks the talk and walk the whatver , mate we to have been doing this stuff for twenty plus years and you have to advertise to fill the gaps , theres always cream to gather and crap to dispose...word of mouth is good but the advert lets you get the really good dollars...

geejay
19-06-2008, 09:29 PM
when i looked at a franchise i was not given the impression that it would be easy.i had the option of buying a existing round or vacant terriorty.they expressed that i would lose clients,this was normal,and the mkting would quickly replace these.one would have to do a gardening coarse that you had to pass.once you were up and running if you had to many compliants they could force you to sell.no i do not think buying a franchise is easy.i think if you are true indi at heart it could kill your sprit.i think the contract and system enslaves the contractor,it would be very disheartning for a person like myself to be in that system.however i have a friend who owns one,i know him well,and it suits him.we respect each others views,all is good.

branding or no branding ,depends were you coming from.i see guys out there all the time with no branding,i see the jobs they do,top class stuff.see the oppostite as well,hey have a fair go mate.see franchises that are smart as ,cool,some are not,so.people are coming from so many angles,just enjoy them,have a fair go mate.

i think with the major shift from the public using our services if we approach it right we will be viewed in a diffrent light.as a very valueable service for sustainable gardening and reducing peoples carbon footprint.this carbon footprint will become fashionable and taxable,nice combination for us.

Ability
20-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Plenty of advertisng happenng - but very little response at this time of year! :i dunno:

geejay
20-06-2008, 09:21 AM
same here,reponse to $4 ad slow last two weeks-two calls from ad two jobs-one offs.lots of uncut long grass when you drive around.my wife is involved in retail,sales are low,cutting casauls hours and part timers,to the bone,directive from hq.i think petrol price is hurting people.

had a bit of rain in our area,damp cold,may effect the mkt here.
going to do a one off,then next week its my regulars,tgft.

have noticed alot of make shift trailers around our area.

geoff
20-06-2008, 01:53 PM
petrol price is slowing people up , businesses like car washes are slowing and i think we are feeling it too...Thats why i have delayed putting the price up yet maybe when the growing season starts so they have to get the lawn cut.... and yep my adds are very slow also , hard to figure always gets out of control when u cant do them because u are too busy