PDA

View Full Version : where to in Sydney ?

heggie
07-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Hi all.
to all the Sydney contractors.
just wondering where all the members are in sydney and what areas they do . i do the macarthur (camden,campbelltown,etc) for mowing, gardening etc, and most parts of sydney for handyman .
cheers Heggie :wave-hi:

m287j
07-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Heggie,

I am based at West Pennant Hills and service the Hills area, Northern Suburbs (Epping, Eastwood etc) and i have a few clients up the North Shore.

All bar about 3 of my clients i do lawn mowing and all the garden maintenance for. Most of my clients are i guess what you would call prestige properties, as in $1million plus.

I also have 3 commercial sites i maintain as well at Seven Hills and Blacktown. :i dunno:

administrator
07-11-2007, 06:46 PM
I wonder if i should post that pic of u when u where modelling Matt

m287j
07-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Dean, there are certainly worst photos around that i think i may have deleted some how. :laughing:

NWGL
07-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Hey Heggie,

I live in Blacktown.

Most of my work in on the North Shore - Chatswood / North Sydney. I also do work in the Hills district, and I'm finally starting to get some regular work close to home.

95% of my work is strata - the rest is residential & a couple of real estates.

I do lawns, gardening, planting & mulching, drip systems, cleanups, soft landscaping and also clean a few blocks of units.

Ability
07-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Hey Heggie,

I am based in Castle Hill and service the same areas as Matt & Bruce.

Full list of services at www.abilitypropertymaintenance.com.au

Please post that photo Admin!!! :laughing: :laughing:

heggie
08-11-2007, 08:37 AM
cheers lads,
some nice parts of town.
i was on a job in gladesville tuesday , and i was chatting to the owner about who does her lawns ,she said the same person does all three in a row . first house which is a corner house $70 second and third house
$50 each. they were not that big and he cuts every 2 weeks . there is no way i could charge those prices over here for the same size lawns.
or is that the going rate in Sydney now ?
i am trying to get more local work, lawns and gardens etc and stop the handyman side of things, but its very slow for me at the moment. :i dunno: . well i will give it to xmas and may have to start handyman side of things again :i dunno: or do some subbie work . fingers crossed .
cheers heggie :)

Ability
08-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Prices sound pretty average for that part of the world. :wave-hi:

BNE
08-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey Guys,

We are based in Panania, We service Canterbury Bankstown, Strathfield, Burwood, And Liverpool areas

Cheers,

BNE

waterfront landscapes
11-11-2007, 04:06 PM
hi mate, im based in the inner-west mainly drummoyne, a lot of my work is lawns and gardens. but $70 a cut in gladeville, who ever charges should be happy.

heggie
12-11-2007, 07:29 AM
hi mate, im based in the inner-west mainly drummoyne, a lot of my work is lawns and gardens. but $70 a cut in gladeville, who ever charges should be happy.

hi waterfront landscapes,

yeah thats what i was thinking to. oh well good on him if he can charge that . cheers heggie

a grass act
06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey Guys,
Ive just joined up and this is my first post.

I live at Dee Why and service Northern Beaches Newport to Manly and out to Beacon hill/Frenchs Forest.

Tony Scarlett
A Grass Act
:aus-flag:

waterfront landscapes
06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
g'day a grass act, welcome to the forum, hope we can help you out

Born To Mow
08-12-2007, 07:06 AM
cheers lads,
some nice parts of town.
i was on a job in gladesville tuesday , and i was chatting to the owner about who does her lawns ,she said the same person does all three in a row . first house which is a corner house $70 second and third house
$50 each. they were not that big and he cuts every 2 weeks . there is no way i could charge those prices over here for the same size lawns.
i am trying to get more local work, lawns and gardens etc and stop the handyman side of things, but its very slow for me at the moment. :i dunno: . well i will give it to xmas and may have to start handyman side of things again :i dunno: or do some subbie work . fingers crossed .
cheers heggie :)

What do you Sydney guys charge for a average block. Up here the average size lawn is $35.00 - $40.00

a grass act
08-12-2007, 09:24 AM
What do you Sydney guys charge for a average block. Up here the average size lawn is $35.00 - $40.00

The pricing is a good question. It all depends on the size, the slope, the number of stairs, how much work you have and where u live in Sydney. Out on the Northern Beachs there a few dollars floating around so the prices are probably higher than other areas of Sydney. My min charge now is $25.00. The average flat block with nature strip, front and rear yards is between $40.00 and $50.00. I have some up to $80.00. I try to work on a rate of $45.00 to $50.00 an hour. If you can get a few together the rate goes even higher.

There are a few people always starting out and there rate is a lot lower as they are trying to get all the work they can but tiume will tell if the can work for cheap over winter. You can get a maintence job in a school ect for $40,000 per year with sick leave, holidays, super ect, and not work as hard so why they try to work for $30 an hour has me beat.

Mellors
08-12-2007, 11:50 AM
there is no way i could charge those prices over here for the same size lawns.

Try, Heggie!

Unless they are actually physical invalids, people who want a servant to maintain their lawns for them, rather than doing it themselves, should pay the price for membership of the Leisure Class. This goes whether their estate is in Gladesville, Mt Annan, or anywhere else.

Here's a little story of mine:

When I was in the early stages of my business, a couple of months ago, I had an enquiry in Fairfield West - pretty standard size and layout surburban block. I said $45; she said something along the lines of that being far higher than the going rate in her area - after some bargaining, I agreed to do that house, and that of the woman's mother, in a neighbouring suburb, for $70 the first time (both places), and $65 thereafter fortnightly ("but my mother's a pensioner!") (also "as you are just starting out, you need to take the work", or something to that effect).

Having done these places three consecutive fortnights, I was feeling pretty used, and, the last time, BEFORE I had finished, the woman comes around and says "what about the clippings all over the drive-way" (I had always tidied up well before), I thought "right-oh", and began composing a speech in my mind.

Two days ago (about a fortnight after the last mow), she rings up and says "can we book you in for Saturday" - I reply, "yes, but not for the price that you have been getting"; she: "what do you mean?"; me: "I am now charging realistic prices"; she: "how much?"; me: "$90"; she: "but my mother's a pensioner"; me: "but you're not"; she: "no ... I'll have to think about it"; me: "I expect that you can get someone locally to do it for less". Phone call ends (politely, on both sides).

Next day, she rings and says OK do the jobs for $90 - that's where I'll be this arvo.

I don't know if she rang around for other quotes or not, but I got my way in the end! :)

Ability
10-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Occasionally i need to remind some customers that I am not a charity and I have to charge the rate I do so that I can afford to live in Sydney!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

heggie
10-12-2007, 06:14 PM

hi born to mow,
i charge $40 for a average size lawn, flat and easy to mow , $50 for slopes or lots of edging.
cheers heggie :wave-hi:

heggie
10-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Try, Heggie!

Unless they are actually physical invalids, people who want a servant to maintain their lawns for them, rather than doing it themselves, should pay the price for membership of the Leisure Class. This goes whether their estate is in Gladesville, Mt Annan, or anywhere else.

Here's a little story of mine:

When I was in the early stages of my business, a couple of months ago, I had an enquiry in Fairfield West - pretty standard size and layout surburban block. I said $45; she said something along the lines of that being far higher than the going rate in her area - after some bargaining, I agreed to do that house, and that of the woman's mother, in a neighbouring suburb, for $70 the first time (both places), and $65 thereafter fortnightly ("but my mother's a pensioner!") (also "as you are just starting out, you need to take the work", or something to that effect).

Having done these places three consecutive fortnights, I was feeling pretty used, and, the last time, BEFORE I had finished, the woman comes around and says "what about the clippings all over the drive-way" (I had always tidied up well before), I thought "right-oh", and began composing a speech in my mind.

Two days ago (about a fortnight after the last mow), she rings up and says "can we book you in for Saturday" - I reply, "yes, but not for the price that you have been getting"; she: "what do you mean?"; me: "I am now charging realistic prices"; she: "how much?"; me: "$90"; she: "but my mother's a pensioner"; me: "but you're not"; she: "no ... I'll have to think about it"; me: "I expect that you can get someone locally to do it for less". Phone call ends (politely, on both sides).

Next day, she rings and says OK do the jobs for $90 - that's where I'll be this arvo.

I don't know if she rang around for other quotes or not, but I got my way in the end! :)

hi Mellors,
i know what your saying but some areas i mow, people just havent got that sort of money, or they are single parents, retired etc.. i just done a quote for this retired man , he has a big yard but its a easy job , he had quotes for $70 to $80 . i charged $50 got the job. and was done in a hour, my quote was a fair one ,$80 was not .
cheers heggie

Mellors
10-12-2007, 07:18 PM
hi Mellors,
i know what your saying but some areas i mow, people just havent got that sort of money, or they are single parents, retired etc.. i just done a quote for this retired man , he has a big yard but its a easy job , he had quotes for $70 to $80 . i charged $50 got the job. and was done in a hour, my quote was a fair one ,$80 was not .
cheers heggie

Thanks for the reply Heggie

I'm still very much in learning mode. Today, wife and I did two jobs, one took us 1 1/2 hours ($45), the other a bit over 2 hrs ($55) - that's working together! There have been plenty more times when I have really under-estimated how long (and how much hard work) it was going to take to do a place.

I'd be quite satisfied with $50 for an hour's work. Perhaps I'm not doing it right - often, half the time (and more than half the effort) on a job of mine is whipper-snipping edges. Is this as it should be? :confused:

Born To Mow
10-12-2007, 09:52 PM

I'm still very much in learning mode. Today, wife and I did two jobs, one took us 1 1/2 hours ($45), the other a bit over 2 hrs ($55) - that's working together! There have been plenty more times when I have really under-estimated how long (and how much hard work) it was going to take to do a place.

I'd be quite satisfied with $50 for an hour's work. Perhaps I'm not doing it right - often, half the time (and more than half the effort) on a job of mine is whipper-snipping edges. Is this as it should be? :confused:

Edge, blow and mow.....then blow again. Simple rules for big and small jobs. You will find you will get faster edging as time goes on and also get faster as you get to know a property after a couple of services.

After a while that job that takes you 2 hours to do may only take 1 hour or less if there is two of you. Are you using a self propelled or pushy?

Born To Mow
10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
hi born to mow,
i charge $40 for a average size lawn, flat and easy to mow , $50 for slopes or lots of edging.
cheers heggie :wave-hi:

Can't get away with $50.00 lawns up here Heggie, have tried it but they never become regulars. Unless they are prestige properties, I have a few $110 2 hours work far and between though.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

m287j
10-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Gees even i struggle to get $50 an hour maintaing prestige properties around my area, i am close to $50 an hour but not there yet.

Mellors
11-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Are you using a self propelled or pushy?

We have one of each. However, the self-propelled was a major buying mistake - it is great on large, frequently-mowed lawns in dry weather, but if the grass is a bit long, or at all wet, its discharge chute and/or blade clogs up all the time, and has to be cleared.

It does, however, make a great vacuum-cleaner! We don't have a blower. :o

heggie
11-12-2007, 07:34 AM

Hey Mellors,
I am still trying to work out rates for my area, i live and work MT Annan area, done a job on sunday which was local , the front grass was about 4 inches long and had slopes and retaining walls (more whipper work) and the back was a foot long but only narrow . i charged $40 , and took 1 hr 15mins . he gave me $50 and said he had someone in a few months ago who charged $60 !!!! the block was not that big.. so i find it hard at times to quote , but i always look to see what car they drive before i quote lol
:rolleyes: big car big $$$$$$$$ .
i also do a 3 acre property once a week , edging , gardening etc.. my rate for this is only $20 per hour , but i have 8 hours a week every week and that pays for advertising, fuel etc . plus i use their tools ,rideon, whipper , mulcher etc . when i first whippered the property it took me 2 hours, i can do it in just over a hour now , you will get quicker without noticing , and the job does become easier each time you go . so it will take less time and your hourly rate will go up :) good luck cheers heggie

Born To Mow
12-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Gees even i struggle to get $50 an hour maintaing prestige properties around my area, i am close to $50 an hour but not there yet.

Yeah Matt, only have a few. All of my gardening customers are $45 an hour. Besides two prestige waterfront properties next to each other $110 each 3 1/2 hours work in all to service their lawns every fortnight all year round. Another 2 acreage properties, garden and lawns at $55 a hour. When I first quoted these I thought if they have these huge boats parked off their private jetties they can afford to pay me to do a good job.

That's the most I get out customers in my area, most people are happy to pay $45 an hour if you do a top job, as soon as you quote the big 50 or more that's a different story :talk2hand :talk2hand

However I know one contractor in our area that charges $70.00 an hour, gardens or lawns. Mind you he's been in the industry for 13 years.

:i dunno: :i dunno:

waterfront landscapes
17-12-2007, 09:31 PM
i think boys if your making $35 $45 an hr your making a healthy living, not unless you hav workers to pay for then $55 $70 for 2 or 3 people on site at one time is alright.