PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmowing Tips & tricks.................

Pages : [1] 2

kakegc
18-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi all, I just thought it may be a good idea to start a thread where we all have input on tip & tricks of the trade (sorry if its been done before?) The idea being that every time you remember a trick or tip or shortcut that helped you, you add to the thread & pass it on. Don't worry if you think everyone already knows it, coz I can guarantee that there will be at least one person who has never heard it before & will be grateful that you posted it!

Here goes as a starter: Always remember that every piece of equipment you buy will require upkeep & servicing. Only buy what you need!

:)

kakegc
18-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Here's another: you can add to the height of your pole pruner by inserting it into a swimming pool vacuum handle & tying a rope to the pull cord. Great for palm fronds! :)

twin_cities_lawncare
18-11-2007, 06:53 PM
It's easier to cut down bunches of palm seed pods while they're still on the tree rather than wait for them to fall to the ground individually and become ammo for your mower to shoot around the yard ;)

cadase
19-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Keep a spare blade carrier fitted with new blades , in your trailer or ute, for a quick change over if needed :)

Sandgroper
19-11-2007, 11:33 PM
If you use the alloy heads that have a single piece of line carry dog nail clippers in your pocket to trim the line at the right lenght on the head, also have plenty of spare pieces of pre cut line velcroed to the shaft :)

Lancat
20-11-2007, 08:58 AM
A lawnie that’s been in the industry for 20 years just told me this one.

Not the type of thing I would do or recommend, but I did see the funny side of it and a lesson to place a quote in the letter box of well under the door.

It also made me think that others may have done the same to me over the years and I will now place my quote in an envelope in the letterbox and not on a card in the front door.

When doing a quote and you find another lawnies business card in the door. Remove the others lawnies card or if no price is on the card and write a higher price than yours on his card.

mowjoman
20-11-2007, 08:58 PM
After washing your mower always run it with blades engaged to displace any water throughout the moving parts, (i.e. pullies etc...) for a few minutes.

twin_cities_lawncare
20-11-2007, 11:12 PM
With petrol the price that it is, try and cluster your jobs in the same vicinity each day to save running around like a chook with it's head cut off....saves time as well as petrol, and time is money :russ:

kakegc
21-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Do like twin cities says, keep your run tight, do your run for the day in a circle from home back to home, don't criss cross past cuts to get to a certain customer at a certain time ;)

kakegc
21-11-2007, 09:50 AM
When you receive calls from customers, never tell them you'll be there at a certain time to quote/mow/etc only ever give them a rough time that you'll be there; mid to late afternoon etc. Otherwise you'll end up putting yourself under the pump :dean:

heggie
21-11-2007, 03:13 PM
If you have a customer who doesnt like chemicals to kill weeds. put one cup of salt in 2 litres of white vinegar and make a weed killer. Then brush or spray it onto the weeds, in a day or two they will die. But remember your grass will die too if you spray it ! so just spray the weeds !
:frightene :frightene cheers heggie

heggie
21-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Before removing the spark plug, clean the area around the plug to prevent dirt and debris from getting into the engines internal parts. i use a airline or you could use your blower .
cheers heggie

Sandgroper
21-11-2007, 08:25 PM
In hot weather fill up 2 litre bottles 3/4 full then freeze them, top up with cold water in the mornings and get a nice cold drink all day long.

administrator
21-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Source www.indmowing.com.au/forum

Fixing Starter Rope

Remove the starter assembly from the motor, most of the time there are four bolts or screws mounting just the starter onto the fan housing however alot of models require the fan housing to be removed with the starter assembly.

Remove the remains of the broken rope. If at all possible do not attempt to remove the recoil pulley ( pulley the rope wraps around) from where it is mounted.

Your new rope should be 5 feet in length (for most lawnmowers, etc.) add to this if you have an extended rope starter model (add the distance between the starter assembly and where the starter handle gets mounted).

The new rope should be braided nylon starter rope, burn both ends to fuse the strands.

Attach your starter handle with a good knot to one end of your rope. The knot should come to 1/4 inch to the end of the rope any closer and it may pull out over use.

Wind the starter pulley so that it compresses the starter spring completely, note: you will need a second set of hands or vise grips to hold the starter assembly in the wound position.

Keeping the tension on the spring, adjust the position of the starter pulley in the starter housing such that the rope holes in both line up.

Thread the free end of your new starter rope through the hole in the starter housing and through the starter pulley. Keep the tension on the spring! Tie a good knot on the free end of the rope.

Now you can slowly release the tension on the starter spring, it will pull the new rope in and wrap it onto the starter pulley. Re-mount the starter and this repair is complete.

Any body have a better way of doing it ?

Sandgroper
21-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Thats the way i know,,it applys to brushcutters,edgers, mowers whatever.

My tip is to carry a few meters of spare cord with you so if the cord breaks you are back in business in a few minutes and not an hour after travelling to the workshop andstuffing around.

Carry spare spark plugs for every machine, plus belts ,chains , blades what ever you need for your operation. :)

Ability
21-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Carry two of everything - 2 mowers/whippies/blowers. If you have any machinery problem you don't need to spend time fixing it on the hop! :aus-flag:

Sheedys Mowing
22-11-2007, 11:51 PM
:read_this Before leaving to do all your jobs for the day, make sure you do a vehical & trailer inspection, checking oil levels, tyre inflation levels, that all lights are working, tow hitch & ball etc. Also on really hot days it might pay to take any fuel out of the trailer and store it in a cool place.

administrator
23-11-2007, 10:43 AM
The lighter your trailer including tooling the more fuel you will save.

If You have a well established round you wouldnt be 10-15 minutes minutes from home so no need to carry everything.

If you are travelling more than 20 minutes from home then re think your business plan to canvass clients closer to home

if you service your machinery and vechile very little chance of a breakdown .and more effecient

:cool:

worzel
23-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi all
When I saw this thread i thought to myself this would be excellent information for someone who is just starting out.
I thought I would wait a few days and add something.
I waited and I can't find anything new to add (damn)
So I thought I would try and condense it.
1 -to save fuel condense work into a 10 k radius.(this is just me)
2- double up on equipment to save time on breakdowns.
3- Most important is to service vehicle and equipment.
4-If your appearance.vehicle, machinery and attitude etc looks smart the work rolls in.(when you are finished for the day and after a few coldies let it all hang out.
5-Keeping frozen water in my opinion is a must
6- I keep a spare loaded trimmer spool,plugs,circlips and any thing else I can think of to reduce down time.
7- When mowing and you have none of Deans radio headphones don't let the PITAS upset you(Years ago with a PITA I WALKED ON THE PROPERTY WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER IT CAUSED A BIT OF GRIEF.
Now I am bit more mellow and don,t have many probs.
Music is good
8-Enjoy your work, you are the boss.To relax grab your rod (not that one)
and go fishing
9-In my opinion if you are reliable and do quality work the work will follow with satisfied customers passing your good name to friends etc.Hope this will help someone.
Cheers Worzel :) :) :) :) :)

kakegc
23-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi all
When I saw this thread i thought to myself this would be excellent information for someone who is just starting out.
I thought I would wait a few days and add something.
I waited and I can't find anything new to add (damn)
So I thought I would try and condense it.
1 -to save fuel condense work into a 10 k radius.(this is just me)
2- double up on equipment to save time on breakdowns.
3- Most important is to service vehicle and equipment.
4-If your appearance.vehicle, machinery and attitude etc looks smart the work rolls in.(when you are finished for the day and after a few coldies let it all hang out.
5-Keeping frozen water in my opinion is a must
6- I keep a spare loaded trimmer spool,plugs,circlips and any thing else I can think of to reduce down time.
7- When mowing and you have none of Deans radio headphones don't let the PITAS upset you(Years ago with a PITA I WALKED ON THE PROPERTY WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER IT CAUSED A BIT OF GRIEF.
Now I am bit more mellow and don,t have many probs.
Music is good
8-Enjoy your work, you are the boss.To relax grab your rod (not that one)
and go fishing
9-In my opinion if you are reliable and do quality work the work will follow with satisfied customers passing your good name to friends etc.Hope this will help someone.
Cheers Worzel :) :) :) :) :)

Love it! Great post Worzel! :) :) :) :)

bb1
23-11-2007, 09:06 PM
With summer coming up , remember when quoting a job, that a summer cut is generally done 30% quicker than a spring job, so if giving a fixed price, remember come spring the cut will take longer due to more grass, have to empty catcher more, and more to take to tip. So if giving fixed price quote, consider how long the job will take in Spring, not summer.

Sheedys Mowing
23-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Just on point number 4 of worzels post about apperance of things, it is a good idea to have quality sign writting on your tralier & having your own uniforms with your business name and the services you offer on all of your workwear, it shows that you run a quality business you take pride in your work you are normaly able to charge 5% to 10% more on your services and most importantly you don't just look like a cowboy with a lawn mower sticking out of his ute. :)

administrator
23-11-2007, 10:49 PM
If your brushcutter line goes hard or brittle soak it in hot water ;)

Sandgroper
24-11-2007, 02:07 AM
If your line welds itself inside the head, take the head off and soak in warm water, if that does not work you are using the wrong size line for that head.

administrator
24-11-2007, 08:09 AM
If Your` computer keeps shutting down check to see if the cooling fan has stopped working and if so face a electric fan to cool the cpu until u are able to replace the computer fan

see pic 2 the fan on that silver thingy had stopped working which heats up the cpu i forget what you call it which makes it shut down

saves you big bucks :russ:
Just happened to me

kakegc
26-11-2007, 05:41 PM
For those who live in the southern part of the country: if you use older 2 stroke equipment & it is really starting to play up now that the weather has warmed up, even after you've had it serviced; It's probably worn out. Put it in the shed until next winter & buy a new one! Come April-May next year, put the new one away for winter & get the old one out again! You should find that it runs a treat now that the air has thickened up again in the cooler weather! :) Don't forget to start the new one up at least once a week whilst its in storage, otherwise the diaphragm in the carby will go hard & stuff up. Once the old one has really had it, keep it for spare parts & the new one becomes an old one & off you go again. You can get quite a lot of extra work out of 2 strokes using this method. :)

For those using 4 stroke engines on snippers, blowers, hedgers etc; Stiff cheese! it won't work for you! You'll get get blisters trying to start the old machine until you buy a new one! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

administrator
27-11-2007, 09:54 AM
If you offer a free cut for long term customers or any customer this can be turned into Advertising deduction check with your accountant to have a tax deductable promotion :o

YOU CAN WRITE IT OFF AS AN EXPENSE .

administrator
27-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Contractors have promotions such as gift basket give aways once a month for clients just another way of keeping business and creating word of mouth and appreciation .

Works very well doesnt it Nick :ebony:

heggie
27-11-2007, 05:30 PM
all my saws and any cutting blades i have i alway wipe clean after use, then spray with WD40 or light machine oil and this stops the blades or saws from rusting from tree sap, rain etc . candle wax is also good if your hand saw are getting stuck cutting wet timber . if you have a rusty saw just use light machine oil and some wirewool and you will have your saw looking like new again .
cheers heggie

cadase
27-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Don't leave your honda 216 starter assembly sitting on the ground after your do a starter rope change over, your wife might run over it in the car :( :( :( :o :o $$$$$$

Mellors
27-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi there Lawnmowers!

My first post - I was looking around this evening and read someone's gripe about people who use all this valuable information collected here, but don't contribute, so I thought I better say something, even though the reason I haven't contributed so far is really because I know bugger all compared with yous lot.

I'd ought to contribute something then, hadn't I? Not that it will be much better than my first commercial mow was ...

So, here is my wisdom, accumulated over WEEKS of being in the LM business - the most important thing is to CHARGE HIGH PRICES. I am (currently) sure that (at least in Sydney now, with the rain the way it has been), the supply/demand ratio of lawmowing contractors to lawn proprietors is such that there is really not that much competion between LM contractors - the real competition is between the LM contractor giving the quote, and the potential client doing it themselves (or having some significant other do it), or leave it to grow into wildlife habitat.

It is in all of our interests to quote as high as we can. The more we all quote, the higher the perceived "going rate" will be.

I would not be at all worried by "cowboys" charging very low rates. I started off charging very low rates, not because I was a cowboy (but may have been seen as such), but because I was a fool, and did not realise how much work was involved to do a good job. Now I know that the customers that will snap up naive aspiring lawnmowers at their bargain basement rates are not the customers that professionals would want to have.

It's all good - starting LMs get their first work and experience from the tight-arses who are exploiting their inexperience - these clients are not ones that professional LMs want or need. The starting LMs benefit from the work and experience they get, the TA-customers get cheap mows, and, best of all, the new professional LM who finally figures it out gets the exquisite pleasure of informing TA/PITA customers (in the most polite and professional way) that their services are no longer available for the price that they had been getting!

Brrm brrm ....

Mellors

just john
28-11-2007, 07:13 PM
MAKE SURE YOU CHAIN AND LOCK EVERYTHING UP THATS NOT IN USE WHILST ON THE JOB ,IM SURE WERE'VE ALL LEARNT THE HARD WAY :wave-hi:

kakegc
28-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi there Lawnmowers!

My first post - I was looking around this evening and read someone's gripe about people who use all this valuable information collected here, but don't contribute, so I thought I better say something, even though the reason I haven't contributed so far is really because I know bugger all compared with yous lot.

I'd ought to contribute something then, hadn't I? Not that it will be much better than my first commercial mow was ...

So, here is my wisdom, accumulated over WEEKS of being in the LM business - the most important thing is to CHARGE HIGH PRICES. I am (currently) sure that (at least in Sydney now, with the rain the way it has been), the supply/demand ratio of lawmowing contractors to lawn proprietors is such that there is really not that much competion between LM contractors - the real competition is between the LM contractor giving the quote, and the potential client doing it themselves (or having some significant other do it), or leave it to grow into wildlife habitat.

It is in all of our interests to quote as high as we can. The more we all quote, the higher the perceived "going rate" will be.

I would not be at all worried by "cowboys" charging very low rates. I started off charging very low rates, not because I was a cowboy (but may have been seen as such), but because I was a fool, and did not realise how much work was involved to do a good job. Now I know that the customers that will snap up naive aspiring lawnmowers at their bargain basement rates are not the customers that professionals would want to have.

It's all good - starting LMs get their first work and experience from the tight-arses who are exploiting their inexperience - these clients are not ones that professional LMs want or need. The starting LMs benefit from the work and experience they get, the TA-customers get cheap mows, and, best of all, the new professional LM who finally figures it out gets the exquisite pleasure of informing TA/PITA customers (in the most polite and professional way) that their services are no longer available for the price that they had been getting!

Brrm brrm ....

Mellors

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Great post Mellors, great to see you on the forum mate, welcome aboard! :)

kakegc
28-11-2007, 07:27 PM
MAKE SURE YOU CHAIN AND LOCK EVERYTHING UP THATS NOT IN USE WHILST ON THE JOB ,IM SURE WERE'VE ALL LEARNT THE HARD WAY :wave-hi:

Ain't that the truth Just John! :mad: Some prick even took my last drink out of my esky on a very hot dat whilst i was out the back slashing weeds (Davoren Park lol!) :(

administrator
28-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Listen i shall only say this once HELLO HELLO

Give three quotes
1 Rough job mower only no catch no blow no brushcutter drop grass walk away

2 Neat job nice tidy up make job look respectable

3 Rolls royce job the works just the way u like to do it MIGHTY FINE EDGES LOOKING A PIC

Easy Customer has three quotes knowes exactly where they stand jobs right

just john
28-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I AGREE MELLOR GREAT POST BUT IN SOME INSTANCES CONTRACTORS DONT MOW IN AFFLUENT AREAS AND PRICING IS RESTRICTED TO CUSTOMERS INCOME WITH LEVEL 5 WATER RESTRICTIONS AND THE PENINSULAR BEING MAINLY SAND BASE A LOT OF CONTRACTORS ARE STRUGGLING BUT WITH GOOD RAIN OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS THINGS HAVE IMPROVED :Rain: :wave-hi:

Mellors
28-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the reply J.J.

I haven't been in the game nearly long enough to have my head around it. I'm based a little west of Parramatta, so I am within striking distance of suburbs covering quite a range of socioeconomic levels.

I don't know whether to try to focus "close to home" (which was my original hope, when I decided to give this business a go), or aspire for a situation where I commute to a more up-market area to service the gentry for a higher price.

So far, I'm taking pretty much anything I can get, but I'm thinking all the time ... (when I'm not too tired/wounded)

Brrm brrm ...

twin_cities_lawncare
28-11-2007, 11:47 PM
In terms of "tired/wounded" I thought a couple of ideas might help:
Tired? Have energy drinks on tap - ones with electrolytes, esp in the heat of summer; get a midday siesta if possible
Wounded? Have a first aid kit in the car, with things like big bandaids for big coverage, paracetamol for headaches etc, antihistomines for allergic reactions, tweezers for splinters, 3B/Vaseline cream for chafing...the list goes on for your individual needs

mowjoman
29-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Today was probably the 1st time since doing this full time that I thought I might go down. Very steamy up here at the moment but for some reason I just kept going (had a heap of cuts to get thru), then I thought hey this is why I'm doing this...to be my own boss SIT DOWN BOY, HAVE A BLOW, A DRINK AND COOL DOWN!!! My tip is when it's hard tell yourself this is not just my job it's my lifestyle...and I love it! Oh... and chuck a chair in the trailer to sit on when you do :D :aus-flag:

Mellors
29-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Wounded? Have a first aid kit in the car, with things like big bandaids for big coverage, paracetamol for headaches etc, antihistomines for allergic reactions, tweezers for splinters, 3B/Vaseline cream for chafing...the list goes on for your individual needs

Great idea thanks Christine!

just john
29-11-2007, 07:21 AM
always have with you a good pair of sunnies 30plus sunscreen (seen some contractors wear gloves whilst mowing) and a HUGE hat :wave-hi: ;)

twin_cities_lawncare
29-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Today was probably the 1st time since doing this full time that I thought I might go down. Very steamy up here at the moment but for some reason I just kept going (had a heap of cuts to get thru), then I thought hey this is why I'm doing this...to be my own boss SIT DOWN BOY, HAVE A BLOW, A DRINK AND COOL DOWN!!! My tip is when it's hard tell yourself this is not just my job it's my lifestyle...and I love it! Oh... and chuck a chair in the trailer to sit on when you do :D :aus-flag:
Too true mojoman - the tropical humidity can really knock you around, so pace yourself and keep hydrated - have some electrolyte drinks like Staminade/Gatorade to keep you energised as well - we've found it makes a big difference...and the humidity can really speed up the chafing process so pack the Vaseline too, esp on the clean up jobs when you're doing a lot of friction-heavy work.
Sitting back (and we've been known to siesta under a shady tree at times too, working flat out ;) ) is part of a well-balanced summer's day I reckon.

administrator
29-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Commercial

http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=232

administrator
30-11-2007, 04:43 AM
If a customer is changing address leave 4 or 5 business cards in the meter box more than likely if its a rental youll get the new tennant .

Or go around there when you think that the new tennant has moved in knock on the door and tell them the story you have been loking after the grounds etc and would they like a quote

mowjoman
30-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Ah yes...the ol' chaffe. Something I've long suffered with due to friction of the inside of my legs rubbing together.....long jocks, long jocks, long jocks, long jocks, long jocks, long jocks. :o

administrator
30-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Franchise customers are easily spotted as the franchise trailers mark there customers so take note of the address and return with a quote and give that customer a better job and a better price

Nothing wrong with competition :rolleyes:

Mellors
30-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Commercial

http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=232

Just had a look at this and at the "Squincher" site (http://www.youngersource.com/Sqwincher19.html - where www.squincher.com redirects to).

If I'm not mistaken, IndyMowing is selling for $23 an item which is for sale on the original supplier's site at $52 (US dollars)!

64 oz aprox equals 2 litres I think and 5 gallons is about 20L.

Could you manage a members' price on VB like that please? :laughing:

administrator
30-11-2007, 07:10 PM
yes they call it swan lager

kakegc
30-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Franchise customers are easily spotted as the franchise trailers mark there customers so take note of the address and return with a quote and give that customer a better job and a better price

Nothing wrong with competition :rolleyes:

I'm quite surprised that you would recommend doing that Admin :i dunno: What you are suggesting could be quite dangerous mate! I know a guy that bought a round off a franchise guy & the then ex-franchise guy tried doing the dirty & calling on all of the new guy's customers to say "hello, I'm back working as an Indy" Long story short, the guy I know has a VERY short fuse & there was some type of road rage incident where the ex-franchise guy's ute got rammed ;) The same idiot tried it on me & started calling on my customers after he'd seen my Ute out the front. I found out pretty quickly, as most customers are pretty loyal :) I made it my mission in life to put him out of business! :mad: Every time I saw his Ute somewhere, I'd go back later & give them a card & a ridiculously low price to mow their lawn. In fact, I'd have cut their grass for free if it took business away from him! He never got any of mine, but I got plenty of his! Eventually, one day at the dump, he screamed uncle. He'd never even waived to me in the street before, but now he was my best mate! ;) I must have made a dent I reckon! He's one of those "my cat's blacker" type of guys, if you've cut $300 today, he's cut $600. All I know is he has well & truly left me alone since then! :i dunno:

Sandgroper
30-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I cut $2000 before morning tea, but i have not got a cat :laughing:

Hugh Jarss
30-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I cut $2000 before morning tea, but i have not got a cat :laughing:

You could buy a very nice pussy for less than $2000, but the ongoing maintenance cost will destroy you.... :frightene

administrator
30-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm quite surprised that you would recommend doing that Admin :i dunno: What you are suggesting could be quite dangerous mate! I know a guy that bought a round off a franchise guy & the then ex-franchise guy tried doing the dirty & calling on all of the new guy's customers to say "hello, I'm back working as an Indy" Long story short, the guy I know has a VERY short fuse & there was some type of road rage incident where the ex-franchise guy's ute got rammed ;) The same idiot tried it on me & started calling on my customers after he'd seen my Ute out the front. I found out pretty quickly, as most customers are pretty loyal :) I made it my mission in life to put him out of business! :mad: Every time I saw his Ute somewhere, I'd go back later & give them a card & a ridiculously low price to mow their lawn. In fact, I'd have cut their grass for free if it took business away from him! He never got any of mine, but I got plenty of his! Eventually, one day at the dump, he screamed uncle. He'd never even waived to me in the street before, but now he was my best mate! ;) I must have made a dent I reckon! He's one of those "my cat's blacker" type of guys, if you've cut $300 today, he's cut $600. All I know is he has well & truly left me alone since then! :i dunno:

Yes your post is about fraudulant and stealing and deception and violence my post is nothing wrong with competition :)

administrator
30-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Well you will be surprised by this one then lol

Everytime you do a lawn in a street with a regular mow leave a card in every letter box in that street every time u go there b4 12 months is up you will have 4 or more in every street try it :)

bb1
30-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Everytime you do a lawn in a street with a regular mow leave a card in every letter box in that street every time u go there b4 12 months is up you will have 4 or more in every street try it :)[/QUOTE]

In the beginning I did this for about 3 month, and have 3 regulars within 3 houses of each other, park the vehicle and service 3 properties for 6 hours. Great arrangement.

Sandgroper
30-11-2007, 11:43 PM
You could buy a very nice pussy for less than $2000, but the ongoing maintenance cost will destroy you.... :frightene

I think my Jack Russel is all the company i need ;)

kakegc
02-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Well you will be surprised by this one then lol

Everytime you do a lawn in a street with a regular mow leave a card in every letter box in that street every time u go there b4 12 months is up you will have 4 or more in every street try it :)

Thats a totally different thing to what you suggested before & quite a good way to do business! ;)

kakegc
02-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Yes your post is about fraudulant and stealing and deception and violence my post is nothing wrong with competition :)

All we have in this business is our integrity! If you do what you are suggesting to some poor bastard who has franchise fees to pay, you will not only lose your integrity, but you will almost certainly lose whatever good name you have (which I doubt you'll ever get back) Who wants someone with no integrity in their yard mowing the lawn when they're not home???

Yes, there will almost certainly be violence of some kind involved if you do it to a lot of the guys out there! :mad: or worse than violence, you may meet someone like me who fights fire with fire!

Sure, there's nothing wrong with competition, but why target some schmuk's customers just coz he's a franchise????

Let's try to remember that we're all in this game we are in because we choose to be! ;) Franchise or indy (I've done both!) the whole industry will benefit if we work together (please note that I don't mean the tossers who run franchises, I mean the poor buggars who are out there getting dirty, dusty & sweaty just like me & you!)

bb1
02-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Let's try to remember that we're all in this game we are in because we choose to be! ;) Franchise or indy (I've done both!) the whole industry will benefit if we work together (please note that I don't mean the tossers who run franchises, I mean the poor buggars who are out there getting dirty, dusty & sweaty just like me & you!)

Well said, there is plenty or work around, without having to create issues with others.

Sandgroper
02-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Treat me well and i will treat you better, treat me badly and i will treat you 20 times worse,,,i dont like the franchise system but i have never had a problem with the guys themselves, even borrowed a rake off a jims during the other days tip run,,,,,,

But if you dont say g'day at the tip or ignore my waves on the road, i will be onto you like a ton of bricks :frightene :wave-hi:

worzel
03-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I think my Jack Russel is all the company i need ;)
I find my sheep are quite satisfactory
Is'nt that right Ian
3 admins -that explains heaps ;dealers; ;dealers; ;dealers;

twin_cities_lawncare
07-12-2007, 03:47 AM
We all know mulching is great for weed control, keeping the moisture in, and improving a garden area area aestheticly. Sometimes people need to see the difference it can make, so on a recent clean-up job where the garden beds had been neglected and overgrown, we submitted some of the before and after photos with the invoice, as well as an "artist's impression " (photo-edited original) of what it would look like mulched (along with a quote to do the work). We got the job of mulching these garden beds as a result.
If you need some extra work e.g. when there's not much grass to mow, and you have the spare time, maybe this is a way to do some value-adding to your business. Keeping an eye on the mulch condition of properties you maintain on a regular basis, and re-mulching them as required, can reduce the amount of weeding/poisoning/time required each visit, so it's a worthwhile initiative.

danz
07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
my tip is which most of you would do,but for newys, i always whipper snip first, and mow last so you can catch your whipper snip clippings, etc.. if you whipper snip last you tend to get all the **** on your nicely neat mowed lawn,,,

mowjoman
07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
yep i agree danz. For one particular job but (child care centre) I'll snip then blow then catch and then a quick blow at the end so the finished job doesn't get grass back all over it. Their very particular that the 300 000 odd dirt magnets dont walk grass inside all the time. Takes a bit longer but looks a treat at the end.

twin_cities_lawncare
07-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Sometimes there's a fair bit of bulk in those whippersnipped bits; if so, I'll run the mower over the path to suck some of it up before getting stuck into the rest of the lawn - it makes for less big bits to blow off onto the path later and spoil the finish.
(One place we do, we have the whippersnip/blow/mow regime too, to save the puppy traipsing clippings inside, but most people aren't that pedantic.)

Ability
10-12-2007, 05:41 PM
While sitting in traffic or at red lights on the way to your next job I always try to cut whippy line to length...saves time on the job! :aus-flag:

administrator
18-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Keep your mobile phone on you at all times not just for calls recieved if u have an accident you can call 000 or a friend to help you out .
:wave-hi:

kakegc
25-01-2008, 08:02 PM
If you have an old snipper that you keep for winter or spare parts, take the zip starter unit off of it & keep it in your toolbox in the ute/trailer. Saves you heaps of time going to the mower shop to get it fixed if the cord breaks on the job & it also really saves you having to carry a spare snipper.

lawn order
25-01-2008, 11:46 PM
O.K. you tortured it out of me.
I can’t bear the suffering of my fellow workers with regards to gonads discomfort
for one minute more.
Sitting on tractor seats – no aircon cabin – for a squillion acres –you learn certain truths.
There is only one guaranteed nether region fortification.
Groinal nurturement and buttock bliss.
For your next birthday insist on this gift.
Your loved ones will have to search high & low to find a supplier.
They are made of a golden fleece, which delivers high and dry comfort well past your working day.
A bit daggy but!
Give one set a go - & you tell me!
BELLS
– PURE COTTON – DOUBLE SEATED NAVY BLUE “Y”FRONT BRIEFS

Seek and you will find and working life _ yeah _NO SWEAT!
Trade name Bell’s

lawn order
25-01-2008, 11:47 PM
My Account My Bag Sign In Currency: AUD User: Guest Items: 0 Total: $0

SEARCH:
HOME SHOP BY BRAND SHOP BY DEPARTMENT SHOP BY SIZE ON SALE CLEARANCE NEW ARRIVALS BEST SELLERS
LINGERIE BRAS BRIEFS SLEEPWEAR SWIMWEAR SPORT MEN'S FULL FIGURE GIFT VOUCHERS

Bell's Holeproof Bell's Double Seat Brief

Write a review for this product to be in draw to win a $250 Underwear Empire Gift Voucher.Review Now!

Bell's Holeproof
Bell's Double Seat Brief

The Bell's Holeproof Double Seat Brief is a best seller. Why? It is classical and offers everything needed in a brief. Perfect to wear everyday it features double seat for extra wear and added warmth, generous cut for comfort, long life elastic waist, all cotton leg binding to ensure comfort and pure superfine cotton for absorption and long wear. The Bell's brief is an essential to have!

Bell's Holeproof
Quick Links
Lingerie Collection Bell's Holeproof Collections
Size Chart
Email to a firend Email To a Friend
Review this great product Review This Product
Rating:
(from 1 customers)

Style Code: M1788
Material: 100% Cotton

COLOR SIZE QTY AVAILABILITY OUR PRICE
White
Please select a quantity
$16.95

lawn order
25-01-2008, 11:50 PM
this is the only info I can find.
I have worn them work wise 35 years .
I am a better man for Bell's

lawn order
26-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Sorry - disregard the "y" front answer .
wrong forum
Try 'em anyhow tho - but - yeah - NO
Ahh Sighhh - what a balls up!

bb1
01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Don't do additonal work at your larger body corporates on a Saturday. I normally do the mow, etc on Mondays, at my 50plus body corporate, generally get a handful of residents come up wanting a chat.

Today I went along to do some additional trimming, etc, and instead of the handful, it must have being a dozen in just a 4 hour visit.

twin_cities_lawncare
02-03-2008, 01:48 AM
To add a bit of extra slip on the trip to the tip, add some bulky branches/palm leaves to the base of the load so you have something to pull on, instead of a matted mess of grass clippings...we use a base of palm leaves each load now and it saves us a lot of time, especially at the end of the dumping session...

mowjoman
14-03-2008, 02:47 PM
When blowing at the end of the job and grass/leaves are cornered, aim blow a few inches above debris and it will blow out along the ground instead of straight up in the air when blown directly...Took me till last week to figure that one out bloody works good but... :russ:

kakegc
14-03-2008, 08:14 PM
To keep track of your customers/jobs/figures all you need is: 1) a day to a page diary 2) a card box 3) a packet of index cards marked 1-31 & 4) a biro.

Every time a customer calls you for a quote, write their details in the diary. If you get the quote; write those details in your diary on the day you intend to do them, but abbreviate them. Then write them onto an index card plus write what you have to do there (ie: B+F = back & front, or B only = back only) then write how much the job pays & how often you do it (ie: $30 x 2 means they pay you $30 & you do it every 2 weeks) then put the index card into the corresponding day in your card box (ie: 23 = 23rd of the month)

Each night take out the next day's cards from your card box & sort them into your run for that day (I like to do a loop, whereby I start close to home & loop around my run until I finish close to home. whatever you do NEVER criss cross thru the suburbs passing other jobs on the way just to fit in a customer at a certain time, its a waste of time & petrol! NEVER tell them you'll be there at a certain time, too many things can go wrong along the way. Just tell them AM or PM)

When you get home tick next to the jobs that you did in your diary & put a "x" next to the ones you didn't, with a explanation as to why you didn't do them (just in case you need to remember why down the track) then write how much you got paid next to the tick (ie: a line entry should look like this: Frank $25 (tick) $25) or Frank $25 (x) he said leave it a week.) When you get home just tally the figures in your diary & then write in how much you got paid in the mail & you have your day's collect figures. Then just write the customer into the day of their next cut & put their card back into the box on that day.

At the end of the week, tally up your daily figures & at end of the month tally up your weekly figures.

It probably sounds hard, but its very, very simple once you start doing it. It took me about 1,000 times longer to write this than it does doing my diary each day.

In my last job I was a very senior manager in an extremely high tech area with more electronics than you could poke a stick at & I tried incorporating my electronics background into this industry when I returned to it after a very long layoff. I'm here to tell you that as a lawnie YOU DON'T NEED IT! The old acronym of KISS applies; KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!

administrator
10-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Tip If U Put Straight Fuel In A Blower Or Brushie and it jams up which it will no matter what brand

Pull The Pull Cord Assembley Off And Put A Spanner On The Nut AND TURN That Will Cause The Piston To Free Up And Away You Go Saves You A $120.00.

worzel
19-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi all
What I have been doing over the years is once my old machines get a bit tired I store them in one of my Mum's sheds.
I try to buy exactly the same machine (hard to do )for parts
By changing machines 1-2 years I write them off as taxed stuffed.

These machines still work perfectly and would be suitable as a back up.
Then sell 20-30 lawns with worn machinery (say so)
and your holiday in Fiji is all paid for.
Us lawn mowing fellows never get a decent holiday :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sandgroper
19-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Tip If U Put Straight Fuel In A Blower Or Brushie and it jams up which it will no matter what brand

Pull The Pull Cord Assembley Off And Put A Spanner On The Nut AND TURN That Will Cause The Piston To Free Up And Away You Go Saves You A $120.00.

Will that work with mowers as well ?

Would not there be damaged and scored pistons ?

administrator
21-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Dont know about mowers only heard experiences with blowers and brushcutters

i reckon it would work with mowers to but dont know for sure ;)

lifestyle
31-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I made an excel spreadsheet once that calculated exactly where i had to put money from my daily and weekly jobs. I had a few different sections for different prices etc, all i had to do was fill in the total number of jobs for each price and it would tally it up and tell me how much i had to pay in fuel costs, marketing and the like.

I haven't used it for a while but i'll have to dig it out and upload it for ayone who would like to use it.

m287j
31-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Sounds good Eric, i certainly wouldn't mind seeing it.

NWGL
31-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Same here :)

lifestyle
31-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Took me a while to find it but here it is...

Obviously it was designed to reflect my circumstances at the time and i haven't used it for a while. If you know basic MS Office Excel it wouldn't be hard to update or completely change to suit.

It basically gives you a daily (or weekly) breakdown of where you need to put your money away and how much. It could be updated to reflect individual store accounts etc.

Hope it helps.

(MS Excel from Office 97) not sure how it will upgrade on newer versions).

Cheers,

Lawns Plus
01-06-2008, 10:50 AM
To keep track of your customers/jobs/figures all you need is: 1) a day to a page diary 2) a card box 3) a packet of index cards marked 1-31 & 4) a biro.

Every time a customer calls you for a quote, write their details in the diary. If you get the quote; write those details in your diary on the day you intend to do them, but abbreviate them. Then write them onto an index card plus write what you have to do there (ie: B+F = back & front, or B only = back only) then write how much the job pays & how often you do it (ie: $30 x 2 means they pay you $30 & you do it every 2 weeks) then put the index card into the corresponding day in your card box (ie: 23 = 23rd of the month)

Each night take out the next day's cards from your card box & sort them into your run for that day (I like to do a loop, whereby I start close to home & loop around my run until I finish close to home. whatever you do NEVER criss cross thru the suburbs passing other jobs on the way just to fit in a customer at a certain time, its a waste of time & petrol! NEVER tell them you'll be there at a certain time, too many things can go wrong along the way. Just tell them AM or PM)

When you get home tick next to the jobs that you did in your diary & put a "x" next to the ones you didn't, with a explanation as to why you didn't do them (just in case you need to remember why down the track) then write how much you got paid next to the tick (ie: a line entry should look like this: Frank $25 (tick) $25) or Frank $25 (x) he said leave it a week.) When you get home just tally the figures in your diary & then write in how much you got paid in the mail & you have your day's collect figures. Then just write the customer into the day of their next cut & put their card back into the box on that day.

At the end of the week, tally up your daily figures & at end of the month tally up your weekly figures.

It probably sounds hard, but its very, very simple once you start doing it. It took me about 1,000 times longer to write this than it does doing my diary each day.

In my last job I was a very senior manager in an extremely high tech area with more electronics than you could poke a stick at & I tried incorporating my electronics background into this industry when I returned to it after a very long layoff. I'm here to tell you that as a lawnie YOU DON'T NEED IT! The old acronym of KISS applies; KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!
Ah, how simple things were before we started to rely on computers, and the paper system works with or without power, Lol :laughing:

Riddo's Run
05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
all my saws and any cutting blades i have i alway wipe clean after use, then spray with WD40 or light machine oil...
This is a really good tip for longevity of cutting tools...I find however that Inox works better than WD40 for this as it is a little thicker...

The General
12-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Hilarious, thanks cadase! ;-)

The General
12-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi there Lawnmowers!

Brrm brrm ....

Mellors
Great post, you're absolutely right about the quoting high and the starting off with customers who don't want to pay for professionals.

I'm not far from you (based in Kellyville), so we may cross paths... ON GUARD buddy! Competition's healthy, love the fact that everyone in here's helping each other out.

The General
12-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Cadase are you really a lawnmowing guy, you sure don't spell like one....
Very funny (and true) Hugh!

The General
12-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Indeed, let's all work to make the pie bigger, rather than just take a bigger slice!

m287j
12-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not far from you (based in Kellyville), so we may cross paths... ON GUARD buddy! Competition's healthy, love the fact that everyone in here's helping each other out.

I might see you around, i am at Kellyville every fortnight.

administrator
26-06-2008, 06:55 PM
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY GEEJAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

keep roll immersed in water, as need be cut of measured pieces,roll up and place in plastic zip lock bags in gear area.

geejay
26-06-2008, 08:46 PM
park your ute/trailer at the nature strip up from the one you will be servicing(in case of flying debris hitting window and /or panels of ute).start whipper snipping in a anti-clock wise direction.this will have the clippings going into the ns,not on the path way.

geejay
26-06-2008, 08:52 PM
when mowing, mow around the garden edge,garden beds,trees etc with one or two circles,then start mowing across lawn.this makes the turns mowing across easier in relation to shrubs etc being in ones way when you make the turn.

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:01 PM
when turning to mow the next line, make sure the back wheels pivot around themselves and do not slide,if one slides the wheels on the turn it shortens the life of the wheel.

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:09 PM
if one uses a atom/or stick edger and it is dry,wet the edges first this will help the blade penetrate to a greater depth easier to cut the side shoot at depth.this will delay the side shoot popping out on the edge so that on the next few cuts on can use the whipper to clip the edge quickly.

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:20 PM
when fulling up equipment with fuel keep the open fuel tank away from whipper snipper/mowing clippngs,if they get inside they could block the carburator.

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:23 PM
when starting equipment try start on the pavement not on the grass as this will pull up dust/grass clipings into the airfilters and bolock them up quicker.

Bgs
26-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Is there a tip or trick to stop wet grass sticking to the rear wheels on the mower then falling off in big clumps :wave-hi: Thanks

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:25 PM
clean pre filters in warm water and soap,dry throughly in the sun.main filters clean in petrol dry in the sun.

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:26 PM
if you need to pee in a garden do it on the lemon tree,its good for it.

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:29 PM
when you have finished using a tool full it up so that when you get to the next service its ready to go.

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:32 PM
when whipping snipping a doggie garden and warm,brown stuff is on part of your body afterwards,its not chocalate

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:37 PM
:rolleyes: fig jam all over :aus-flag:

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:40 PM
voortrekker,sogamanure

mowjoman
26-06-2008, 09:45 PM
when whipping snipping a doggie garden and warm,brown stuff is on part of your body afterwards,its not chocalate

If your like me and always stick ya tounge out the side of ya gob while concentrating...LEARN TO STOP or when you hit "barkers eggs" with the whipper...you'll definately know its not chocalate :sad:

geejay
26-06-2008, 09:49 PM
when pulling do not use to many long pulls as this could stall your engine(depending on age) ,if young, pull hard and with sharp bursts this will get it started and omit the dribble that comes with age.

mowjoman
26-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Is there a tip or trick to stop wet grass sticking to the rear wheels on the mower then falling off in big clumps :wave-hi: Thanks

Use a catcher in the wet...mulching is as fu**ed up as a soup sandwich when its wet.

mowjoman
26-06-2008, 09:51 PM
when pulling do not use to many long pulls as this could stall your engine(depending on age) ,if young, pull hard and with sharp bursts this will get it started and omit the dribble that comes with age.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

geoff
26-06-2008, 09:57 PM
and i thought i was the only one that thought that ..us old contractors do just do.......

mowjoman
26-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi all, I just thought it may be a good idea to start a thread where we all have input on tip & tricks of the trade (sorry if its been done before?) The idea being that every time you remember a trick or tip or shortcut that helped you, you add to the thread & pass it on. Don't worry if you think everyone already knows it, coz I can guarantee that there will be at least one person who has never heard it before & will be grateful that you posted it!
Here goes as a starter: Always remember that every piece of equipment you buy will require upkeep & servicing. Only buy what you need!

:)

Fair go you blokes. Remember why this thread was started????? (Post #1)!!
Lotsa people on this forum only new to the game ay (myself included)... obviously unlike your good selves. :aus-flag:

geejay
26-06-2008, 10:00 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :who-knows

geejay
26-06-2008, 10:35 PM
a fast and organic way to tackle weeds in lawns and some gareden beds is with a dutch hoe,works really well with weeds with single stems and low to the ground.try get a commercial stainless steel blade, and keep the blade sharp.the idea is to cut the weed at ground level with minium ground disturbance.

geejay
26-06-2008, 10:39 PM
standard garden racks can be too wide when raking leaves between shrubs.Purchase a few and cut them to diffrent widths to meet the need.

geejay
26-06-2008, 10:43 PM
plants are really expensive and a big investement for clients.when clipping,prunning,keep equipment clean from one job to the other.spray equipment with a blech or fungicide,spray plants with fungicide after prunning/clipping to help prevent dyback.

geejay
26-06-2008, 10:48 PM
if box hedges are not lush and green and or battling to grow with trees like confiers ,apply dolomite lime, june and october,they'll love it and shine green again.

geejay
26-06-2008, 11:03 PM
when prunning roses the time to prune varies from end of june to mid july. a tricky rose to prune is the weeping standard,choose four long healthy shoots that go out from the graft in seperate diretions,these stay,all the rest of the branches prune off,tip prune the remaning four and spray plant with a post rose cut mix.

geejay
26-06-2008, 11:05 PM
in cold areas from may on to prunning time leave the rose buds, on as this produces rose hips to strengthen the plant for winter.

geejay
26-06-2008, 11:09 PM
before winter give plants potash to strengthen them.some plants like cordylines get yellow spots on the leaves,this is not scale or a fungus,it is a lack of potash before winter , feed them potash in may,and the leaves will stay unblimished through the winter.

geejay
27-06-2008, 04:29 PM
when loading your trailer distribute the weight evenly over the back 3/4 of the trailer,the front 1/4 make a little heavy to keep the weight pushing down on the hitch.If the hitch squeaks alot lightly grease it,it will last longer.

geejay
27-06-2008, 04:37 PM
when lopping with pole prunner,1st cut from the top 3/4 into branch,then do the next 2nd cut a little back,this will form a hinge, and the branch will come down slower and not jam the chain saw,finish 3rd cut into hinge from the top,branch falls down,4th cut stub for neat finish,no jamed chain saw

mowjoman
02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Not sure if any of you others have done this but FINALLY today (been meaning to for a long while), I replaced the grease plug on the whipper clutch with a 90 degree grease nipple...Ahhh, much easier to lube. Plug it had was basically an M8 bolt with a 1.25 thread pitch...could match the 8mm but not the pitch so out with the ol' tap and die set and Bobs now me uncle. :cheer: :russ:

Ahem....Tip & Trick...If possible or most importantly practicle, replace plugs with nipples...

Rob@Borlorac
02-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Good idea ,so simple it is a wonder the manufactures dont do it for us

geejay
04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
when using prunning/cliping tools keep blades clean,sterile from one job to the next by spraying with a mix of water and bleach or a fungicide.after prunning/cliping spray plants with a fungicde plus foliar feed,this will help prevent die back and help the plant recover quicker from prunning/cliping.

lifestyle
04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
when using prunning/cliping tools keep blades clean,sterile from one job to the next by spraying with a mix of water and bleach or a fungicide.after prunning/cliping spray plants with a fungicde plus foliar feed,this will help prevent die back and help the plant recover quicker from prunning/cliping.

Methylated Spirits is good too ;)

geejay
20-07-2008, 12:44 PM
to check that oil is correctly lubricating the chain on the pole prunner chainsaw attachment, run the chainsaw above a sheet of cardboard.one will quickly see if there is to little or to much oil be used by the oli mark left on the cardboard.

tree beard
20-07-2008, 09:43 PM
.after prunning/cliping spray plants with a fungicde plus foliar feed,this will help prevent die back and help the plant recover quicker from prunning/cliping.
Hi Geejay what brand/name product do you use? Yes sorry this is the no thought approach!

geejay
21-07-2008, 07:45 AM
mancrozeb and benomel active ingredients,latter bn=benlate.after cliping/prunning sprays add a feed like nitrosol,kelp etc.

storing/between cuts:meths sprayed on hedger blades with protect it.keep a 0.5 litre of meths to spray on blades from plant to plant,garden to garden.

tree beard
22-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks Geejay.

I appreciate the direction.

tree beard
22-07-2008, 10:42 PM
mancrozeb and benomel active ingredients,latter bn=benlate.after cliping/prunning sprays add a feed like nitrosol,kelp etc.

hi Jee***

Did you know that the benlate product has been withdrawn from production in Australia, I believe that any existing stocks are being sold through. Quite a bit on the web about it? I would like to know if there is a similar product on the market???

thanks

mowjoman
23-07-2008, 06:36 AM
I've attatched an old oil funnel to the nozzel of my sprayer to decrease the likelyhood of wind drift when spraying. Seems to work well. Also great when spot spraying weeds in gardens. Just cup funnel over the weed and hit without damaging any other plants in the garden. Had to cut the end off the funnel and unscrew the nozzel to put it on then screw nozzel back on once funnel is in place.

geejay
23-07-2008, 07:08 AM
benlate withdrawn,thanks for leting us know.

brillant idea with funnel for weedspraying,thanks for sharing that tip.

mowjoman
15-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Check your trailer bearings regularly.
Found this today on my trailer...as you can see my bearing maintenence has slipped somewhat...stupid, stupid stupid.
Was getting my gear ready this arvo after work for the bigest run in my cycle tomorrow when I noticed this...see pic.
I'm just glad I noticed it before my wheel went skittling down the bruce highway :frightene :frightene :frightene
Any way run will have to wait till Saturday now (was sposed to be planting cane this weekend too, ho hum), and will get myself some bearing buddies tomorrow. :who-knows

lifestyle
15-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Shyte...

Have you seen the movie "Indian" with Anthony Hopkins ?

He lost a wheel on his trailer and used a limb off a tree to get him to where he could fix it.

Looks like that tread is wearing a bit thin on those tyres too mate ;)

mowjoman
15-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Indeed. Thats on the adgenda today too :sad:
Worlds fastest Indian...Great movie.

bb1
15-08-2008, 08:03 AM
I had one go like that a couple of month back, it was a very slow trip back up the hill from a client. When I checked the cost of fixing it, new tyres, etc. It was better to just buy a new trailer.

mowjoman
16-08-2008, 07:01 AM
1 set of bearings...$25.00
1 pair of bearing buddies...$28.50
2 new tyres...$200.00
Learning that trailer maintenence is essential...Priceless :p

geejay
19-08-2008, 08:29 PM
found a use for one of those fertilzer buckets,put the trimmer line in one and topped it up with water,cut a few mesured lengths,rolled them up,lid on,in trailer.........

geejay
19-08-2008, 08:32 PM
plastic rakes wear out,check that they have enough length in the "teeth part" to be effective at raking stuff up......

mowjoman
20-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Ya gettn to the bottom of the barrel now :laughing:

geejay
20-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Ya gettn to the bottom of the barrel now :laughing:
yep,and it tiks my freeeend off,and i gotta love that......... :wave-hi: :who-knows :who-knows :wave-hi:

geejay
20-08-2008, 08:06 PM
how to get $2 a minute out of a $45 dollar lawn in Melbourne,so you do not have to move to Brisbane.Ok we have to do the lawn in 20 min,this is how: two honda 21" self propelled(turbos),one w/s with neck sling,ok line the mowers up and fire them up,w/s sling around neck,fire her up,grab handle of w/s with teeth,ok step forward to mowers grab one in the left hand and one with the right hand................ ;) :) ;) :)

lifestyle
12-09-2008, 09:14 PM
- When doing line and edge trimming, blow the grass off the concrete and from around the fence line and onto the grass BEFORE mowing. This way the mower picks up the rubbish instead of blowing it around everywhere.

- When pushing a dirty mower over a concrete or sealed path keep as close to the fence line (or house or whatever is a hard edge) as possible. This way you only have a narrow strip to blow clean instead of the whole paved area.

simo
13-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Might be on here already but here it is any how, use your blower to clean air filters, (also the missus vacume bag) ,blow away cob weebs around eves and fences, cleaning out the cab of your ute.....

administrator
17-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Dont forget me i am a good thread with lots of good posts lets see some more tips and tricks added :)

glassngrass
17-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Wippersnipping fencelines and edging paths after mowing can leave behind a mess, so wippersnip and edge first so the mower will clean up for you!

Lee Fender
18-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Being a Newbie, I leaned today NEVER balance your whipper snipper on the fence with the engine on. The head can do nasty things to your upper thigh when it tips and goes full throttle!! :(

Bluey
18-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Being a Newbie, I leaned today NEVER balance your whipper snipper on the fence with the engine on. The head can do nasty things to your upper thigh when it tips and goes full throttle!! :(

Ouch.....that had to hurt. Are you alright?

Lee Fender
18-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Fine thanks mate, Bit of scuffing and bruising, Looks worse than it is though :laughing:

Elitemow
24-11-2008, 09:56 PM

:laughing: :laughing: I reckon no matter what way/angle you hold the whipper snipper...the wet doggie dooo will still hit ya between the eyes..... :mad: :mad:

Bgs
26-11-2008, 08:26 PM
When Filling up Jerry cans at the servo take them off the ute and put them on the ground before filling, A nice attendant at the servo reminded me of the dangers of static electricity and said they have had two go up this year he said metal are more prone to this than the plastic ones :frightene .

Stripes
26-11-2008, 08:43 PM
If you need to mix up some fuel and your funnel jumped underneath your backpack blower just as you put it on your ute (and is no longer in one piece), cut a soft drink bottle about 100mm above the neck and use it as a temporary funnel. Leave the lid on and rinse it out with fuel before mixing your fuel though ;)

geejay
09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
its dusty,dry here in melbourne, we cleaning the air filters(sponge type) out with petrol every day,

tip after soaking and cleaning in petrol and allowing to dry take two teaspoons of 4 stroke oil and mix it into the sponge filter,this will help keep the dirt out and the engine will last longer. :)

Arfa Brayne
15-01-2009, 11:45 PM
A 6x4 or 8x6 tarp is usefull as an all terrain easy load wheelbarrow for prunings or mulch.
Spread the tarp on the ground next to the pile and place your feet about a metre apart on the edge of the tarp to hold it tight.
Now rake the pile between your feet onto the tarp, pull the corners up together like a bag and swing over your shoulder.
Another method for garden cuttings is to roll them like a big reefer and throw the roll on your back.

Faster than loading a barrow by hand, goes anywhere you can step, and takes up bugger all room in the truck.
Also good to compress and handle stuff like abelia, rose, or even climbers.

administrator
16-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Make sure you have a good accountant .

haireyscarie
16-03-2009, 05:01 PM
A 6x4 or 8x6 tarp is usefull as an all terrain easy load wheelbarrow for prunings or mulch.
Spread the tarp on the ground next to the pile and place your feet about a metre apart on the edge of the tarp to hold it tight.
Now rake the pile between your feet onto the tarp, pull the corners up together like a bag and swing over your shoulder.
Another method for garden cuttings is to roll them like a big reefer and throw the roll on your back.

Faster than loading a barrow by hand, goes anywhere you can step, and takes up bugger all room in the truck.
Also good to compress and handle stuff like abelia, rose, or even climbers.
we do this too..
BUT
tie some rope to the ends and load it right up
and use the ride on to toe it
:aus-flag: :aus-flag: :aus-flag:

Fred's mowing
16-03-2009, 08:04 PM
we do this too..
BUT
tie some rope to the ends and load it right up
and use the ride on to toe it
:aus-flag: :aus-flag: :aus-flag:
If you,re real keen, take the hedge cutter 2 it, although if u go 2 gungho it may end up a little heavy :rolleyes: .
Cheers Dean.

simo
16-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Shade cloth is much better than tarps as it doesn`t blow around in the back of the ute, doesn`t rip, lasts longer, breathes so grass and clippings dont hold moisture....But is generally more expensive

administrator
19-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Some jobs maybe you can do around the home .Allways look on the bright side .

Lawns and Gardens Mowing
Pruning
Garden clean up
Hedge trimming
Fertilising and scarifying
Rubbish removal
Ride on mowing
Home Cleaning Regular cleans
Once only cleans
End of lease cleans
Floors and benchtops
Ovens and vacuuming
Window Cleaning

Commercial and home
Inside and out
Flyscreen cleaning
Track cleaning
Absail cleaning
Commercial Cleaning Anything from factories to schools
General cleaning
Window cleaning
Carpet cleaning
Floor polishing
Strip and seal flooring
Carpet Cleaning Carpet cleaning
Steam cleaning
Upholstery cleaning
Pet odour removal
End of lease cleans
Leather furniture cleaning
Tile & Grout Cleaning

Handyman and Property Maintenance Services General carpentry
Welding
Plastering
Painting
Roof and fence repairs
Gutter cleaning
General repairs
Assembling flat pack furniture
Installation of hardware items including towel rails, grab rails and mirrors
Picture hanging

Kim
19-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Yep you are so right admin I do a ladies house once a fortnight I clean her house in the morning for 3 hrs then mow lawns then look at retic she loves it complete service :ebony:

Fred's mowing
19-03-2009, 09:46 PM
So u give your lady customers a complete service hey?
Got to keep those customers satisfied . ;)
Cheers Dean.

Bluey
19-03-2009, 09:57 PM
So u give your lady customers a complete service hey?
Got to keep those customers satisfied . ;)
Cheers Dean.

lol.....there could be a whole new thread in that

Kim
21-03-2009, 08:19 AM
I suppose it gives a new meaning to Mow Blow & Go :laughing:

administrator
06-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Out of the list below how many services do you provide and are there any more services that arnt on the list that you provide
Some jobs maybe you can do around the home .Allways look on the bright side .

Lawns and Gardens Mowing
Pruning
Garden clean up
Hedge trimming
Fertilising and scarifying
Rubbish removal
Ride on mowing
Home Cleaning Regular cleans
Once only cleans
End of lease cleans
Floors and benchtops
Ovens and vacuuming
Window Cleaning

Commercial and home
Inside and out
Flyscreen cleaning
Track cleaning
Absail cleaning
Commercial Cleaning Anything from factories to schools
General cleaning
Window cleaning
Carpet cleaning
Floor polishing
Strip and seal flooring
Carpet Cleaning Carpet cleaning
Steam cleaning
Upholstery cleaning
Pet odour removal
End of lease cleans
Leather furniture cleaning
Tile & Grout Cleaning

Handyman and Property Maintenance Services General carpentry
Welding
Plastering
Painting
Roof and fence repairs
Gutter cleaning
General repairs
Assembling flat pack furniture
Installation of hardware items including towel rails, grab rails and mirrors
Picture hanging

big_ed92
07-06-2009, 11:00 PM
allways keep a spare universal size throtle cable in the spares box !!!!! also keep a small box of screws nuts and bolt and other bits and bobs from mowers and trimmers as they can be quite handy when something breaks on a job

63impala
08-06-2009, 09:02 AM
And you need to keep spring for the honda self propeld they always seem to brake on the last and worse job of the day.

administrator
08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
A great tip for the unemployed sign up for the

Re: New enterprise Incentive scheme

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres a post from Jezza see link http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47

We have 14 Members that we know of that have completed the course .

Sorry I never replied to this.. I could never find the thread until now

I'm all finished and have been out doing what I love since the 19th of Feb.

I sort of agree with chaplain in the course being a bit long winded however I had a good teacher who believed it was better to skim over alot of the "crap" and get us out there and learn the other stuff more hands on over the next 2 years whilst he is mentoring us.

I would say the course is absolutely worth it even if just for the $500 a fortnight I now receive. The bonus is its not affected by how much myself or my missus earn, I made $1500 last fortnight and still got my $500 NEIS payment

My only regret is that I didn't have the balls to do it sooner!
I've gone from 4 yrs doing this for someone else with a sulky, pissed off underpaid look on my face.
To now looking like one of those competition aerobics people.. doing something hard with a huge grin on my face

glassngrass
10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Keep a spare carrier (disc) with new blades attached with you. If needed you can do a quick change on the road with just one bolt!

Bluey
10-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Keep a spare carrier (disc) with new blades attached with you. If needed you can do a quick change on the road with just one bolt!

Yep... I do this and it has worked plus it it is easier to sharpen your blades at the end of a long day

Simon...
11-06-2009, 10:11 PM
get off the mower and move that branch rock or can tissues also make a nice mess dont mow em i used all the time workin for a large complany doin esates but i didnt replace the blades ahh how things have changed no more drifts in the mud on the toro z turn haha sweet

Bluey
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
get off the mower and move that branch rock or can tissues also make a nice mess dont mow em i used all the time workin for a large complany doin esates but i didnt replace the blades ahh how things have changed no more drifts in the mud on the toro z turn haha sweet

Don't have a ride on yet but this is good advice none the less. Never think that little bit of paper will get sucked up into the catcher. More like it will become 1 million tiny bits on a pristine lawn that you have to remove.

chatza
11-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Don't have a ride on yet but this is good advice none the less. Never think that little bit of paper will get sucked up into the catcher. More like it will become 1 million tiny bits on a pristine lawn that you have to remove.

Or be known as the confetti king.

BLACK BEAR
12-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I just keep 1 of my spare mowers on board :who-knows not only for blades going but all the other probs that can occur!
I tend to use my older mowers for 75% of the year and occasionally they break down but it is so dusty and the mowing is not heavy so the old mowers can cope with it!
Had this approach from about 8 yrs ago as things started to dry out and thought I would keep the newer 2 mowers for the heavy spring periods.
8 years on and they have had bugger all use- have 2 195's with very very few hrs on them, just waiting for the heavy wet going in sprintime :Rain: :laughing:

Andy B
22-06-2009, 04:37 PM
If your like me and always stick ya tounge out the side of ya gob while concentrating...LEARN TO STOP or when you hit "barkers eggs" with the whipper...you'll definately know its not chocalate :sad:

Hi all, I'm a newbie, due to launch business next month. Here's my first hot tip: Make sure you close your mouth when you hit the doggie doo with the whipper. I apologise if someone already mentioned this but it has many other benefits as well... breathing through your nose keeps you more hydrated in summer when that's important and also allows the air to warm before hitting your lungs in winter. There's plenty of other reasons too just put nose breathing in your search engine and let the web do the talking.

Andy B

administrator
26-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Mowing wet grass
Drag a hose across the lawn to ‘squeegee’ off the rain or dew. It will now dry much quicker if you can wait awhile, otherwise you can mow straight away
Raise the mowing height to reduce load on the lawn mower
Empty the bag/Catcher more often – less weight for you and your mower
Keep your speed down to reduce load on the mower blade
Clogging may occur .

geoff1969
26-06-2009, 12:19 PM
yep can use hose pipe to squeegee of water .
now a old bloke who put a rubber strip across the front of his mowers it sits about 1 inch off the ground when mower hight is adjusted to squeegee off water - he reckons he mowing wet grass with out many problems and has been for years as the rubber strip pushes 90 percent of surface water away :i dunno: worth a try may be .

geoff
26-06-2009, 01:12 PM
mowing wet grass is simple...buy a bushranger

DavidS
26-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Or a Rover :aus-flag:

Stripes
08-07-2009, 05:52 PM
For anyone that comes across sprinklers that have'nt popped back down after coming on, spray a bit of Armourall or Silicone spray around the base of it. It will make it slippery so it should pop back in each times it comes on.

You can also use silicone spray if your power windows jam up on your ute, or if your manual windows are hard to put up or down. Just spray it around the rubber seals. It's magic stuff!

Bluey
08-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Good tip Stripes I will remember that :wave-hi:

wombat
17-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Don't spend your dough on weed mat...find yourself a shade sail joint and ask for the off-cuts. It's less mess for them to throw out in their big bins and their more than happy for you to get rid of it. More importantly it does the job,and saves you money.

Andy B
18-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I always worry about stone chips on cars parked beside where I'm mowing or using brushcutter. I usually door knock the neighbours and try to locate the owner of the car, it takes a little time but works two fold, gets new customers right next door and gets me the park I want. :)

Also I picked up a fridge box today so on those tight streets I can put the box beside my car or any car I'm mowing beside and don't have to worry about stone chips or covering the side of a car in clippings. Also one place I do has a glass doors and windows all the way accross the back and the lawn is scrappy, rocks sticks, crap etc I'll use the box there as well to mininmise the risk. (Romove any staples the box may have so they don't scratch what you're trying to protect.)

Fridge box free, save me cost of glass supplier or smash repairer and hopefully never have to pay insurance xs either!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I never thought about turning the brushy up side down, always thought it would be no good for it. Holden head showed me all about it and mate it is the best thing since sliced bread I reckon. Love my square edges. :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ:

Bluey
18-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I never thought about turning the brushy up side down, always thought it would be no good for it. Holden head showed me all about it and mate it is the best thing since sliced bread I reckon. Love my square edges. :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ:

Yes very true. My Stihl works well at all angles.

63impala
19-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I would have to say the best over all stihl is the fs 85 thats my opion.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
19-09-2009, 07:53 PM

I do pretty much all edges like this unless there is a building or fence there of course

administrator
05-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Tip , Dont vote against daylight saving :cool:

63impala
05-10-2009, 04:22 PM
kEVS TIP GET A P.A SYSTEM FOR YOUR TRUCK THE ONE I AM GETTING HAS GUN SOUNDS SPEED THE F@@K UP OR I WILL ENGAGE YOU VEILC WITH 50CAL FIRE LOL FORM THE STREETS OF BAGDAD TO THE GC LOL

Christine Wharton
14-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Today's tip - get a couple of "S" hooks from your hardware store and use them to keep the bag open when you are filling it with greenwaste. It can become a one-person job that way.

Christine Wharton
17-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Make sure you take it easy when you drive your ride-on up a ramp (best not to have too steep an angle either) otherwise this could happen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=res8Qtx-MHE&NR=1

Glenofcarwoola
17-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow, I cringed at that last bit. Those ramps were just wrong in all sorts of ways.

redbackmowing
17-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Make sure you take it easy when you drive your ride-on up a ramp (best not to have too steep an angle either) otherwise this could happen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=res8Qtx-MHE&NR=1

LMFGO - it's all fun & games till someone gets hurt. i hope he disengaged the blades

Christine Wharton
17-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Those ramps were just wrong in all sorts of ways.
I agree...way too much angle, and an accident waiting to happen. We usually park against the kerb and use that to reduce the angle of our ramp, but when we don't have that advantage, we use a chock of wood under the base of the ramp to make it an easier ride up

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
18-10-2009, 03:11 PM
LMFGO - it's all fun & games till someone gets hurt. i hope he disengaged the blades

when i was doing security it was all fun and games when some one gets hurt

Andy B
18-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I cringe at the thought of those.

Tip: Be careful if your hiring one of those little ride on dingoes. A mate of mine, who I thought was a smart fella, came unstuck backing it off the trailer. The weight lifted the back wheels of his ute off the ground and without the back wheels on the ground, no hand brake. With only four wheels on the ground it all rolled down the driveway and across the road. It stopped half-way up a street sign. He said it was the scariest moment of his life. He stood the street sign back up but it dinted his bumper and I swear he went grey that following week. Chock you wheels!

ian
18-10-2009, 09:42 PM
lucky it was only a sign not another car or house
tip always leave your vehicle in gear i remember years ago a ladies hand brake cable snapped and her car rolled down a hill across a major intersection and into a safeway carpark and hit a friends car.
and you should also turn the wheels into the gutter or if there isn't one try to point the car at a close tree or solid fence so if for some reason it does roll it can't go far

ian
19-10-2009, 08:25 PM
also if you turn your wheels and this did happen the trailer should probably jackknife and hopeful slow or stop the vehicle

The Local Gardener
19-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Contractors have promotions such as gift basket give aways once a month for clients just another way of keeping business and creating word of mouth and appreciation .

Works very well doesnt it Nick :ebony:

lol admin, just saw it now after a couple of years..... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

redbackmowing
21-11-2009, 11:34 AM
keep a can of fly spray handy to use on those wasp nests. snipping, mowing or hedging isn't any fun going past these buggers.

Bluey
21-11-2009, 01:49 PM
keep a can of fly spray handy to use on those wasp nests. snipping, mowing or hedging isn't any fun going past these buggers.

Pyrethum spray work much better. Knocks paper wasps instantly

administrator
22-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Any more tips and tricks .

The local Gardener Hows that basket promotion going .

Indy said it was a great idea and working well .

Martian Mowing
22-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi all...
I'm a newbie to the game. I've got a full time job atm, but am looking to quit that and move into lawnmowing full time as soon as i can make it viable.
Enjoying everrybodies tips and advice. I've had a bit of a look through the forum and the majority of the info is very encouraging.
I live in the Bacchus Marsh and service surrounding areas

administrator
22-03-2010, 08:54 PM
B4 Hard hats were invented 2 base ball caps were put together dipped in hot tar they waited till they cooled and placed on head . ;)

lawn order
22-03-2010, 09:00 PM
For longer periods between washes apply a double coating of scotchguard to the front and back of your "y" fronts before a hot date on a Friday night.

Martian Mowing
22-03-2010, 09:09 PM
For longer periods between washes apply a double coating of scotchguard to the front and back of your "y" fronts before a hot date on a Friday night.

eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

administrator
09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda Lawn mower :Hru 216d Hru 196d

Tip remove plastic insert in the arch of the chassis this hinders grass clipping getting into the catcher .

Well thats what i did catchers much better .

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
09-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Honda Lawn mower :Hru 216d Hru 196d

Tip remove plastic insert in the arch of the chassis this hinders grass clipping getting into the catcher .

Well thats what i did catchers much better .

Does it still mulch after that though.

administrator
09-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Yes it does Hondas never had that thing until 196 models came out .

administrator
09-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Whether you catch or mulch, mowing dry grass will always be easier and more effective than mowing wet grass.

Irrespective of the choice of mower, it is important to keep the blades sharp. Dull blades cause ‘feathering’ of the cut leaf (i.e. ragged and damaged cut leaf edges) and produce an uneven look to the lawn surface. The torn leaf edges will lose a lot of water, allowing diseases to enter into the plant.

ian
09-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Does it still mulch after that though.
actually i think it mulches damp grass better after removing it less clumping, with the ramp in it tends to collect grass between the ramp and the mulching plug then drop this on the ground when you turn the mower off [ usually as you walk across a clean driveway or path]

administrator
10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
See pic just in case you dont know what we are talking about the black mulch insert .

administrator
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Found this .

increase RPM on 5.5 hp Honda GXV160 engine

On your throttle control plate you see two screws with springs on them, The upper one is the choke stop adjustment the lower one is the high speed adjustment. Just back this lower screw out a little to increase high speed.

before adjusting make sure your throttle cable didn't slip in the hold clamp, And if this screw is backed out too far you may have to adjust the cable in the clamp to get enough movement so it will increase.

To be honest i wouldnt do this by ear use a tacko or get some one that knows what they are doing .

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Irrespective of the choice of mower, it is important to keep the blades sharp. Dull blades cause ‘feathering’ of the cut leaf (i.e. ragged and damaged cut leaf edges) and produce an uneven look to the lawn surface. The torn leaf edges will lose a lot of water, allowing diseases to enter into the plant.

I think that is a great tip in its self admin

63impala
13-04-2010, 03:36 PM
All ways carry spare spring for you 216 the one up near the hadle bars it seems to brake on the last job on the hottest of days..

simo
13-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I`ve had 4 honda sp never busted a spring till today, couldn`t you have told me YESTERDAY :mad: ..Lucky that i take a back up honda sp..

ian
14-04-2010, 07:06 PM
well thats better than a back-up spring a back-up mower :laughing:

GreenHaven
01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
install the small inline paper fuel filters between the fuel tank and the carby on the honda motor saves having to remove the main jet to clean it takes alot more to clog those filters than it does the jet . cost 2$

MOWON
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
install the small inline paper fuel filters between the fuel tank and the carby on the honda motor saves having to remove the main jet to clean it takes alot more to clog those filters than it does the jet . cost 2$

This saves so much time.
Top reply
:wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

63impala
06-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Remember to LUBE your head on your wipper gear ***tion I do it every 6months and your hedger...And its winter so give all your a equipent a good clean with the air compreser ( you should have time)...Scrup under the deck of your mower get it all shiny lol lol I do alote of servising my self so I have to remember this....

:big grin Pull my finger lol lol :monkey:monkey

NLALM
06-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Don't put your steering wheel in with your clothes washing it could get caught in your underpants and drive you nuts:

GreenHaven
06-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Remember to LUBE your head on your wipper gear ***tion I do it every 6months and your hedger...And its winter so give all your a equipent a good clean with the air compreser ( you should have time)...Scrup under the deck of your mower get it all shiny lol lol I do alote of servising my self so I have to remember this....

:big grin Pull my finger lol lol :monkey:monkey

pretty sure i got the idea on this forum mayby even this thread but using the cone nozzels that come with the selley all clear cut to size and screwed into the gearbox grease filler and shove the grease gun at the other end and pump away saves buying the tubes from the mower shop at crazy prices (sure its on here all ready and to the person whon thought of that one thank you )

ian
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM
pretty sure i got the idea on this forum mayby even this thread but using the cone nozzels that come with the selley all clear cut to size and screwed into the gearbox grease filler and shove the grease gun at the other end and pump away saves buying the tubes from the mower shop at crazy prices (sure its on here all ready and to the person whon thought of that one thank you )

you are welcome

danz
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Hahah I made sure i remembered not to put the steering in the wash.. Hey guys i were just thinking how are us indys meant to stay ahead of the game when we are giving away all our tips to the whole world, I to have given tips hmm i guess it keeps us honest.. I reckon this should be a members only section anyone agree

Gordon Gekko
09-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Hahah I made sure i remembered not to put the steering in the wash.. Hey guys i were just thinking how are us indys meant to stay ahead of the game when we are giving away all our tips to the whole world, I to have given tips hmm i guess it keeps us honest.. I reckon this should be a members only section anyone agree

Agree:scared

Jay

ian
10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
but if you look back it appears that not all the tips have come from indy members so if it is members only some of these tips may not get posted

Bluey
10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Thats true but I still reckon we should have a members only lounge. After all we should get something more for our membership fees. What do you think of that suggestion Admin?

Sandgroper
10-06-2010, 08:15 PM
If some one has unlocked the gate but forgotten to lift the vertical bottom bolt up (that goes into a bottom pipe/concrete )try and get your fingers under and lever the bolt up and then slide something flat underneath to hold the bolt up, then you can open the gate.

63impala
15-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Is this the Iteam you be talking about and use..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MINI-FUEL-FILTER-PACK-10-6MM-SUITS-MOWERS-BIKES-/260595100569?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cacadab99

GreenHaven
15-06-2010, 01:55 PM
pretty much mower shop sells them for like $10 while the supercheap auto store down the road from me has ones a little bit bigger for $1 each

Bluey
16-06-2010, 07:55 PM
If some one has unlocked the gate but forgotten to lift the vertical bottom bolt up (that goes into a bottom pipe/concrete )try and get your fingers under and lever the bolt up and then slide something flat underneath to hold the bolt up, then you can open the gate.

Better still have a short length of No.8 fencing wire with a loop in one end. Slip the loop over the handle of the barrel bolt and twist it to lock it on. Lift up the bolt and turn it around to lock it up and open the gate. A rake works well too.

Andy B
16-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Reduce your risk of injury when you have to climb a fence by lowering yourself down as far as you can before jumping. Oh and whistle for the dog first. ;)

ian
16-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Reduce your risk of injury when you have to climb a fence by lowering yourself down as far as you can before jumping. Oh and whistle for the dog first. ;)

i did that once whistled ,banged the fence made quite a racket hit the ground walked around some shrubs and saw the Rottweiler still sleeping on the back door step so it was a quick about face and back over the fence

63impala
17-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Before you go to bed tonight flip your mattress of your bed you will have the best sleep ever...I did last night just crazy it was I was sleeping on a cloud lol lol

GreenHaven
18-06-2010, 07:49 PM
my girlfreind got me a multitool and ive been wearing it on my belt while working very handy thing to have its one of those pliers ones like a leatherman but a differant brand been using it 4 or 5 times a day also saw these ones a local knife store the other day even got a tool to adjust the gear drive sprinklers i think it is

http://www.leatherman.com.au/product/Genus

i want one but the like 170 but come with a 25 year warrenty

Andy B
18-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Yeah the leatherman style multi tools are very handy. I used one everyday till I changed to an alloy head. Always put one in my pocket for big cleanups cause you never know when it will save you a trip back to the trailer/car/toolbox. Think mine cost about $14 had it ten years.

Oh and very importantly cuts your apple or peels your orange if you have the time.

imoww
01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Straight vinegar is a great cleaner for allot of things like grass stains etc

DavidS
02-07-2010, 06:44 AM
That Leatherman Genus you can buy for $124.99 in Australia plus postage, keep watching Ebay they probably will be available on there.

Check out Ebay, I got a Leatherman multitool knife for $89.00 it was $169.00 retail, it always on me.

Andy B
02-07-2010, 10:07 AM
That Leatherman Genus you can buy for $124.99 in Australia plus postage, keep watching Ebay they probably will be available on there.

Check out Ebay, I got a Leatherman multitool knife for $89.00 it was $169.00 retail, it always on me.

While your working of course.

Sandgroper
19-08-2010, 03:27 PM
With the election coming up get you car and trailer in the best spot near a polling booth and leave it there all day,,(don't forget to wash and polish it)

Same with any other major events fairs,festivals etc,,

Andy B
19-08-2010, 05:07 PM
With the election coming up get you car and trailer in the best spot near a polling booth and leave it there all day,,(don't forget to wash and polish it)

Funny you say that, I've got a job booked opposite a polling booth for Saturday! Shame I won't be able to stay there all day, might hand out my own flyers. :) If it's not raining or windy, I'll try a business cards and flyers on tool box while I am there.

geoff
19-08-2010, 05:17 PM
excellent suggestion , every Saturday i look after the garden maintenance of a secondary college and as has it the hall is a venue for voting....like other years I spend all day pruning hedges etc around the public areas with Ute and signs....over past years of adopting this practice Ive received heaps of request from on the day ( have you a card sir ) to phone calls emails etc....it really does work

Andy B
19-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Better leave some extra time for taking addresses to quote. ;)

geoff
19-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Better leave some extra time for taking addresses to quote. ;)

maybe get a heap of subbies waiting too and i could take the cream off top and let the boys work hey ..me i would just have another sausage from the sizzle drive:roll

ian
19-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Funny you say that, I've got a job booked opposite a polling booth for Saturday! Shame I won't be able to stay there all day, might hand out my own flyers. :) If it's not raining or windy, I'll try a business cards and flyers on tool box while I am there.

hope you can park onsite or you might be in trouble trying to find a spot

Andy B
19-08-2010, 06:27 PM
hope you can park onsite or you might be in trouble trying to find a spot

I've scoped it out, and reckon I'll get a park there beside the spot where the lolly pop lady usually has her signs, it's not a designated parking spot but the sign only says no parking m-f so fingers crossed.

Bluey
19-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I won't be working Saturday or at least not on lawns. Have paintball all day and will vote when I get home. Not sure how much value it would be to have your ute and trailer there. Look at all the signs the pollies have and no one takes any notice of them.

Andy B
19-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Hand your own flyers back to the people giving you how to vote slips. :D

Wattle GC
20-08-2010, 03:09 PM

And Bunnings.. Good for rainy days

Andy B
20-08-2010, 05:22 PM
And with the extra traffic past your rig remember to lock up your gear!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
20-08-2010, 06:05 PM
And with the extra traffic past your rig remember to lock up your gear!

Yes some one tried to nick my mower on Tuesday well i was putting a bottle that was on the grass in the bin. then he went to the police station and ask for me to be charged with assault. The cops rang me and when i explained what happened they said they would get rid of him.

T.L.C
21-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Here's a tip for noobies - if you can't avoid hitting a water mains tap cos it's buried beneath overgrowth and you neglected to check properly for hidden obstacles - carry a roll of plumbers tape so you can do a repair job on it! I now also carry a spare tap just in case. This time I was lucky!