PDA

View Full Version : Edgers

Pain in the Grass
25-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Anyone know anything about the Kawasaki edgers....I guy I do some subbie wrok for swears by them....says they will cut through anything,,,including concrete ( well maybe not.)

I use a four stroke atom which seems fine most of the time,,,but when it gets to soime heavy duty overgrown kerb stuff,,it seems heavy going and I can never seem to get an initial clean edge with it...(maybe I'm doing something wrong) an ideas guys :i dunno:

Easycareacres
26-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Pain/n/grass We use 2 hondas as you have and yes tough going if never been edged but we put up with it as do it reqular after that. I know it feels as needs a weight or something, ive even slipped edger on weird angle for some overgrown stuff and helped but again is a bad practise.

Easycareacres
26-06-2004, 08:20 PM
we also go through many wheels on the hondas so use steel wheels now. stupid gaurd buggers up too so removed them nothing but hassles and dont do jack s..... lol

Indyanswer
26-06-2004, 08:32 PM
The mey is the best in australia, the replacement blades are around one dollar ,its simple its a honda motor ,last you for years and years but the problem is most contractors think its expensive at around 1200 dollars ,me personally best buy around will outlast at least 4-5 maybe even 6 atoms remember the atom blades retail for around 15.00 but u get what you pay for :aus-flag: By the way iNDEPENDANT LAWN MOWING SELL THEM

Indyanswer
26-06-2004, 08:33 PM
We Welcome Your Support

Indyanswer
26-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Each edger has its role same as a mower ride on etc it seems every body wants one machine to do the lot. manufacturers dont manufacture that way never have never will . :laughing:

Ebony
26-06-2004, 08:47 PM
You can't compare an atom or a stick edger to a three wheeled edger IMO

Would be like comparing a heavy duty slasher with a maintenance mower such as a Self Propelled

You want convenience and ease of use, or do you want heavy duty? It all depends what you want it for and how much you are wanting to pay.

Pain in the Grass
27-06-2004, 02:08 PM
hey guys, thanks for the responses...I guess the Atoms are great for established edges as they are light and easy to use... But I guees it would pay to have a good three wheeler for when those harder jobs come up such as overgrown kerbs etc...... :)

Easycareacres
27-06-2004, 03:28 PM
yes totaly agree the mey edgers they are good as used them but as indi said each for every job, the atoms only one that can get in tight spots I have found, such as trees on road gutters etc. We never had one prob with the mey 3 wheel but as parks and landscaping has changed with many tight gardens each has a purpose.
Has anyone tried a circular disc on a atom ? like to know if any good .

Pain in the Grass
27-06-2004, 05:38 PM
good point,,,,Can someone tell me what the difference would be using blades compared to a disc on an edger???

Indyanswer
27-06-2004, 06:27 PM
a disc has a lot more drag more friction etc than a blade :frightene

Indyanswer
27-06-2004, 06:28 PM
as they say keep everything simple and dont over complicate things

Viceroy
28-06-2004, 09:01 PM
I have a Kawasaki and its great. Haven't really used any others but i could not be happier. Power is great and the weight is fine. I clean the Air filter at least once per week and it starts first pull 9/10 times.
Ta
Paul

Pain in the Grass
29-06-2004, 07:16 PM
thanks guys

I asked about the Kwakkas,cos every month up here there is usually one to two available at council auctions......Knowing local councils here they dont seem to get much use.....Have seen them seel for around the 150-170 mark....

Cheers

Topcat
13-11-2004, 05:31 PM
The mey is the best in australia, the replacement blades are around one dollar ,its simple its a honda motor ,last you for years and years but the problem is most contractors think its expensive at around 1200 dollars ,me personally best buy around will outlast at least 4-5 maybe even 6 atoms remember the atom blades retail for around 15.00 but u get what you pay for :aus-flag: By the way iNDEPENDANT LAWN MOWING SELL THEM

:aus-flag:
This goes back into the arena, I need to look at a edger

I really need advise before I purchase anything so please help me.

I only have a few clients to use it on & I've looked at the shindawa to use in my multif*%^$# Hedge trimmer, dunn look tuf enough, the Atom seem good but I need a nice finish, that looks classy.

The biggest hurdle is what do I charge it out like.... :i dunno:

Here I would like to know what blokes are using

Mostly my clients edges are about 1-3 inches over the path, so , what should I look at & how much do they cost........... :sad:

Spring, I'm sick of the rain already

screwdriverphillips
13-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Look for $1200 the Mey edger is the best you can buy dont be afraid to spend money on good gear as that is your business and good gear will if used properly will give you the edge over your competitors and at over $1.oo per blade I change once per week.Look I spent over $8000 setting up in Wa with quality gear and from starting in July when I brought 38 cust I now have 85 regs had to stop the advertising and Im using quality Mey gear and it pays for itself.
Screwdriverphillips
Ezy Mowing
Melros Mandurah WA

QLD turfcare
15-11-2004, 04:36 PM
You cannot go wrong with the Kwaka one... the HE130A... the local council uses them, and they are really that good, I use one for the school and church grounds... they really do not have any other make close... I have used others, but the Kawasaki is the best by far...

As for the disc vs. straight blade, I like the disc because there is a slightly wider groove with the disc, and it last longer by far than the straight blade...

If you can get those Kawasaki edgers for 150/170, grab them... I will buy two at that price if they are good...

Once it is off the trailer, the 3-wheel edger is easier work than changing string, holding a steady edge at an awkward angle... they are almost self propelled, and so easy to do everything in one go, kerbs, walls, borders etc... They save time, and give a better job... what is not to like...

The Kawasaki RRP new is just about 760 or so... good value really...

JMHO...

I can post some pics of the machine and job it does, I have to do the school & church this week...

David

Rod
15-11-2004, 06:25 PM
I like me Atom edger (4 stroke honda gx 31)

QLD turfcare
16-11-2004, 07:18 AM
Another use I have put the Kawasaki to is cutting watering pipe trenches... Let me explain...

Basically, for say pop-up sprinklers...

1. Work out your requirements and where the main lines are going to be placed...

2. cut the lawn with the edger along the pipe routes...

3. use a flat spade, dig in on that line and work the dirt back and forth using the spade blade, opening it up and deepening it...

4. lay in your pipe and back fill with sand/soil

It gives faster healing of the grass, and minimal disruption or subsidence...

David