PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of nutgrass in a tiffney lawn

Stan W
31-05-2004, 02:34 PM
What can I use to get rid of nutgrass in my tiffney lawn?

Alex Callaghan
12-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Nut grass................Seeing or hearing the word makes me cringe! Awfull stuff for Lawn contractors and L/scapers alike!

The ONLY product on the market that will work is "Sempera".
Sempra's one of the best chems i have ever used with excellent results and profits for me.

Monosanto distributed Sempera for years until just recently and now as far as I know Nu-Farm have taken it on.

Last time I bought Sempera was around 4 months ago and it was $695 for 500ml :eek:

I heard along the vine just recently that it's getting very hard to find.

Sorry mate......its either Sempera or go around with a little paint brush and paint somthing like Tryqaut or Gramoxone (somthing paraquat based) onto each Nut Grass.

Tonyr
12-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Be ultra careful messing with fast knockdowns like Gramoxone.

Can kill you in a very horrible way easily. Must wear respirator, rubber chem gloves and don't get the stuff on you, I was spraying off an old crop once, no safety gear as as a side boom a wind going away from me...wind changed and got a bit of mist over my face, got the nose bleeds etc, convulsed, couldn't breath, was in hospital a couple of days drinking 'farmers earth''...worse than the chem!

I had been using it for years before and no harm....might be why I'm a crook bugger now!

I learned from then on...this is one of the main products farmers drink when commiting suicide, very bad stuff, wouldn't recomment anyone unlicenced touch it or similar products.

be careful.

Alex Callaghan
12-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Too right Tony.

Very Toxic stuff but fine when used correctly and with care and consideration of people who may be close.

Yes, Respirator, Chem gloves, Spary suit, gum boats.

Gota say though mate. Ive coped the odd face full before and never had the symptoms you described.

Dosn't sound like a nice experiance ol mate!

If he or anyone else that reads wants it they won't be able to buy it without acreditation for chems to their name.

The whole Paraqaut famialy of chems does a dam good job though.

Tonyr
12-07-2004, 11:00 PM
too true mate.

some stuff is simply too potent for the inexperienced.

We use to go through 20 lt drums like it was water, farmers need fast knockdown gear.

Please believe me, I too got previously drenched from back pack leaks etc, just takes one time and bam, it has ya...they thought I was gunna die, told my family it was a 50/50....lucky I'm a tough old bugger and very strong and healthy back then.

Even the insecticides were nasty, but as ya know, we simply need the good gear for fast results.

glad you are safety conscious, when ya get that crook you then start to see how stupidity effects those around us.

Anyway, I only use glyphosphate nowadays, and grazon for wattle.

Leave the hard stuff to you landscapers.

Rod
13-07-2004, 04:21 PM
I believe there is a new product out for Nut Grass called "nutcracker" serious this is not a joke.

Rod
13-07-2004, 04:25 PM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/business/7330.html

Have a look at this web site there is some reference to the product there made by All fire I believe.

Easycareacres
13-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Dam good points on the saftey aspect you guys.
Really good as we all play with diff ones and to here the outcomes is best knowledge from whos used them.
Tony you would have experinced many chemicals cropping so belive what your saying there.
Nut grass yeah Alex same here sempera and I dont have to pay for it lol.