PDA

View Full Version : Killing off bamboo

m287j
06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi guys,

I have just removed a whole heap of bamboo off an industrial site and i want to posion the area to stop it coming back.

What is the best product to use to kill off/and or prevent bamboo coming back ?

I wouldn't think the good old glypho would be strong enough even though i use a 490g version.

Thanks,

activegrip
06-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Hey Matt,

It sounds like it might be to late as you've already cleared it,

however next time, have a mate follow you with a paint brush and the glypho and brush on the stuff AS SOON AS YOU'VE CUT IT, within a few seconds.That way the bamboo will 'draw in' the glypho and be much more effective.

But it sounds like you might have to start digging it out! :(

Mitch

kakegc
07-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Hey Matt,

It sounds like it might be to late as you've already cleared it,

however next time, have a mate follow you with a paint brush and the glypho and brush on the stuff AS SOON AS YOU'VE CUT IT, within a few seconds.That way the bamboo will 'draw in' the glypho and be much more effective.

But it sounds like you might have to start digging it out! :(

Mitch

thats a very good way to deal with it! A product called "tree killer" mixed with kero applied in the same way as described above will give the bamboo a hell of a fright too! ;) If there isn't anything else going to be planted there in the next few years, Bantox will definitely do the job! :wave-hi:

bb1
08-12-2007, 07:34 AM
I cut the bamboo to about 6 inchs, than hit it with straight glypho (paint it on where you cut), generally kills it reasonably quickly.

bigG
09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
I cut the bamboo to about 6 inchs, than hit it with straight glypho (paint it on where you cut), generally kills it reasonably quickly.

that worked for me too.bamboo is a grass so glypho is perfect.not only did it kill it after 4 weeks it was easy as to dig out the dead stuff

ian
15-12-2007, 05:34 PM
if you cut just under the join you can then fill the hollow tube with a strong glypho mix and it will soak in and do the job

lawn order
18-12-2007, 08:28 PM
An Indy man from Wooloomooloo
Over-run with mobs of bamboo
So he asked old Santa
For a real hungry Panda
Now He's knee deep in Panda bamboo poo.

Happy Xmas All!

Hugh Jarss
18-12-2007, 10:41 PM
An Indy man from Wooloomooloo
Over-run with mobs of bamboo
So he asked old Santa
For a real hungry Panda
Now He's knee deep in Panda bamboo poo.

Happy Xmas All!

An Indy man called Lawn Order
Had a panda instead of a boarder
Well he fed it bamboo
Then he saved all the poo
Well I guess he's a bit of a hoarder

ian
18-12-2007, 11:15 PM
this thread seems to have taken a real sh-ty turn

imoww
14-05-2012, 08:46 PM
If i use diluted roundup,,, but paint it on straight from the bottle. Would that be enough glypho to kill Bamboo?

bb1
14-05-2012, 08:53 PM
If i use diluted roundup,,, but paint it on straight from the bottle. Would that be enough glypho to kill Bamboo?

I find straight is much better than diluted, and apply it straight after cutting, that way it gets into better than leaving it a day or 2

imoww
14-05-2012, 09:01 PM
OK. Im half way through removing 6 x large clumps of bamboo.
Its getting hard using the mattock to get rid of the stumps....
Might start using the ol roundup straight from the bottle.
A gardener told me that if i want to kill any trees etc... Cut it then paint direct doundup onto the cat area within 5 seconds..... ( while it's still bleeding)... I just realised... The tree huggers are going to come after me now...

Mrs HMS
14-05-2012, 09:29 PM
... I just realised... The tree huggers are going to come after me now...

Maybe not but geez the pandas are pi$$ed off

bb1
14-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I just realised... The tree huggers are going to come after me now...

Maybe cut the tree huggers off at 6 inchs, and a bit of roundup will fix them... Oops am I in trouble for that

GardenGuy
14-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Cut it then paint direct doundup onto the cat area within 5 seconds...
Correct. If you hit it within five to ten seconds, it's Goodnight Irene for bamboo, lantana and a whole heap of others. Longer, and the plant's ability to seal the wound (somewhat similar to the way we stop bleeding) takes over.

However, the time it takes to kill the roots and cause the root system to wither is a bit questionable. Lantana is about nine to twelve weeks (for glypho 360 according to DPI), but as most pest bamboo varieties are much more aggressive growers (four metres tall in a month or less), I would guess it at ten days to a fortnight and perhaps even less during the warmer months for bamboo, then go back with a mattock and a head full of baaaad attitude. It should be easier work.

Recommendation from an elderly Chinese gentleman I know: cut, poison and then cover them with a tarp or similar to exclude light. The covering method is traditionally used in cultivating super-fat (>90mm), short (<100 mm) bamboo shoots for cooking, i.e. stunting the growth. This sounds like a winner. Caveat: I haven't tried it. YMMV, etc.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Dan w
14-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Would the same apply to sugarcane?
Some schmuck planted it at a place I look after it never seems to die!'

ian
15-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Would the same apply to sugarcane?
Some schmuck planted it at a place I look after it never seems to die!'
it's a member of the grass family so glyphosate should kill it

but i don't see how poisoning the bamboo 1st will make it any easier to dig it out it will still be a p of a job

GardenGuy
15-05-2012, 08:41 PM
but i don't see how poisoning the bamboo 1st will make it any easier to dig it out it will still be a p of a job

Partial dehydration and decomposition of the root matter should reduce the volume compared to the channels the roots have carved, and thus reduce resistance. At least that's the theory, I guess.

Either that, or hire a backhoe/bobcat/airstrike. :)

Cheers - GardenGuy.

imoww
28-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I found out on some US web site gardening company that they reckon to to dig wide, around the clumping bamboo and keep digging down and around the stump. Then the whole thing will come out....?

dave hirst
01-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Same as any tree or plant, as long as you keep digging.
I cleared a whole back yard of bamboo once with just a mattock, but i was 20 years younger and just starting out. never forget that job, and never again.
Last month i had a patch of wild ginger 4m square, now been a lot smarter i just bring in a mini excavator and watch him (20 minutes versus a day or more).
still make good money, and i can move the next day