PDA

View Full Version : electical problem

adriank
09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
After about 3yrs of not using my ride on i pulled it out yesterday

only to find a flat battery

So I changed the oil cleaned & the air cleaner

After me jump stasting it I discovered it had a slight miss so I went in to town to buy a battery and spark plug

when I got back home installed the parts turned the key and all that happened was the solinoid clicked

my 14 yr old son said he couldn't get it to start either while I was out

turns out he tried to jump start it and hooked the jumper cables up the wrong way

now it will not turn the starter from the switch

and if you cross the solinoid it runs the starter but will not fire

being a diamond i/c briggs & straton 13 hp

I think it may have blow either the solinoid, diode or stator

any suggestions

thanks
..........Adrian.........

DAJ
10-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi Adrian
I can give you a couple of things to check but electrical problems can be a real pain and differant makes of ride ons use different circuits,cut out wiring ,switches etc.
By putting the jumpers on back to front usually doesnt hurt to much.It may have blown the diode but this wont stop the mower running as the cdi coil fitted is a separate entity.
If you can get the engine to turn over but not run check the plug for spark while it is spinning.If it has dropped spark then i would say you have a cut out problem [usually 3 or 4 safety switches,seat,deck,brake,fuel solenoid if fitted].If it is an older engine you can disconect all these by removing the positive wire located near the throttle links/cable area and retry.
I sugest this as you have managed to spin the starter motor by crossing the solenoid.If you have spark and the motor can spin it should attemp to run.
But as i said ,electrical probs can be a pain and need to be solved using a process of elimination.
If it has been sitting for 3 years the slight miss you mentioned is very possibly a gummed up bowl or jet .Maybe even a sticky ,dirty or out of adjustment valve.
I hope this is at least a bit helpfull :wave-hi:

adriank
10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Thank you DAJ

This morning I got out my test meter with intention of doing the process of elimination thing

The first thing I tested was the solenoid and Yee Haa!!! first time lucky so I raced into town and purchased another one

Then it would turn over but not start

I took of the air cleaner and lots of fuel was spraying out of the top every time I would turn the key HUH!!!

So I took out the spark plug turned it over and fuel gushed out the cylinder I figured My son had turned it over so much in reverse that he not only burnt out the solenoid out but he seriously flooded it to

Two turns later it started right away

so once again thank you for your help

Regards
..........Adrian.........

administrator
10-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi Adrian
I can give you a couple of things to check but electrical problems can be a real pain and differant makes of ride ons use different circuits,cut out wiring ,switches etc.
By putting the jumpers on back to front usually doesnt hurt to much.It may have blown the diode but this wont stop the mower running as the cdi coil fitted is a separate entity.
If you can get the engine to turn over but not run check the plug for spark while it is spinning.If it has dropped spark then i would say you have a cut out problem [usually 3 or 4 safety switches,seat,deck,brake,fuel solenoid if fitted].If it is an older engine you can disconect all these by removing the positive wire located near the throttle links/cable area and retry.
I sugest this as you have managed to spin the starter motor by crossing the solenoid.If you have spark and the motor can spin it should attemp to run.
But as i said ,electrical probs can be a pain and need to be solved using a process of elimination.
If it has been sitting for 3 years the slight miss you mentioned is very possibly a gummed up bowl or jet .Maybe even a sticky ,dirty or out of adjustment valve.
I hope this is at least a bit helpfull :wave-hi:

Excellent work thanks

DAJ
11-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Glad it is going again Adrian :wave-hi: