PDA

View Full Version : wireless efpos ,good or bad

DAJ
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM
I am interested to know if anyone is using wirless efpos machines .In the past i have had trouble from time to time with collecting bouced cheques,no cash on me etc.
My thinking is that every one has a credit or debit card these days and using one might decrease bad debts and improve cash flow.
I would like to know if the extra cost of the machine is worth it?

Ability
12-12-2007, 07:09 PM
ANZ sent me a brouchure the other day of a new product that connects to your existing mobile and allows you to accept CCards/eftpos etc. Looked like a great alternative to the existing large machines - worth checking out!! :wave-hi:

adriank
16-12-2007, 06:36 PM
I have used a mobile efpos for about 2 yrs in my carpet cleaning business and have never had any problems with it

About 4 mths ago they changed my terminal over for an up dated (same hand set type) I now have one thats on optus next gen network

Through the CBA they really look after their merchant customers

BUT!! Because its like any product every bank compete's for your business so spend a bit of time looking into the best DEAL!!!

In my opinion way to go every body has plastic CC or DEBIT card mobile efpos picks up them all up

NO MORE RUBBER CHECKS!!!

I stoped them the day my mobile efpos arrived - (commercial checks only now) So companies will even pay by Visa if you ask!!!

All the best ..........Adrian..........

No-Franchise-For-Me
16-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I used this with the coffee vans and it is reliable, but the units arent very robust. We broke several through mishandling.
Be wary of ongoing monthly fees for the service, make sure it is worth the fees.
It is definitely a good way to stop delinquent accounts, or stop accounts all together and adopt a payment upon completion policy.

Wayne.

Premier
18-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the "Mint" mobile eftpos system, I understand that Optus and now Crazy John's is offering it.

From what I have been able to ascertain both of the above are selling it as a package deal complete with a PDA/Phone.

Apparently "Jim" recommends the set up.

Any feedback good or bad?

Cheers ;)

Premier

m287j
19-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Shane, i might talk to you about that set-up as i like the sounds of that. ANZ hasn't sent me anything on it.

Hustler
19-12-2007, 08:30 PM
look on the site or contact dean ind does get a good rate no set up fees but you have to make sure you use it as i have one and dont use it that much only about two or three times a week not enough better taking the punt on check or cash up front
regards nev

geoff
24-11-2008, 06:00 PM
looking for more feed back on efpos machines anyone still using them.....

Stripes
08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I was looking into Eftpos a few years ago but didnt follow through with it. What ended up happening with the mobile attachment Shane? I am with ANZ and would like to offer eftpos so I dont get any excuses as to why people can't pay.

I was also told you can get clients to sign an agreement to have their CC details on file and to have their lawns done on whatever regular basis is agreed upon, then you just cut the lawn, enter their credit card details into the machine with the amount and put the receipt in their letterbox. The money is straight in your account.
It would be a great way to increase cashflow and no need to make the annoying trip to the bank on a Friday afternoon -except for the few companies that always pay by check. :i dunno:

Bluey
08-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Whats the hidden cost on these things?

Stripes
08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Whats the hidden cost on these things?

From memory when I looked into it, It was about $40 per month plus they keep around 1.5% of the sale?

Ability
09-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I never followed up with it, but I'm sure ANZ would have something on their website. From what I recall, it was a costly exercise.

redbackmowing
12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
setup a paypal payment option last week. just another option for customers to use. have added a small fee to cover cost involved. it's an email invoice which links to paypal site for payment. mobile eftpos a bit expensive.

Bluey
12-07-2009, 08:42 PM
whats the cost on this RBM

redbackmowing
23-07-2009, 07:49 PM
going by my ebay paypal account it's only a couple of dollars. plus you have the bank fees (deposit) as well. i've set up a different paypal account just for my lawnmowing. no-one has taken it up yet but come busy summer some new customers may. cash is king thou. will always ask for cash but its just another option for the customer. i will charge a small fee ($2) to cover costs if the customer pay by paypal. will let you all know how it goes in coming months. the only thing i think will go wrong could be slower payers will take advantage of this.

Wattle GC
24-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Guys..Tune your customers in from Hollo with payment and you will have no drama..There are many ways to take money from people but I have tried a few and found keeping it simple saves heaps in charges / fees etc..
On my invoices I have my account details for direct deposit and the same on my cards.I only accept cash for jobs under $100.00 and I tell them over the phone..Direct deposit and or bank cheque for everything else (although cash is king).I organise periodic payments for bigger jobs just like builders do and ask for deposits for materials over $200.00 before i start (at least 10%) and all this is stated on my quotes.
Since I have made a stand I have had no problems and find accounting a lot easier..Probably 1 in 50 have a problem with it and you have to question are they going to be a problem customer but I stand fast and thats the way I do it..Im not Harvey Norman with intrest free and 1000 ways to pay so i make it quite clear from the beginning.

MikeS
26-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Although cash is king for those who “must” use a credit card or cannot leave money I have a link on my website front page to Paymate (the Aussie version of paypal).

An example of its use was last week I had a call for an urgent job I went down and had a look and called the client back with the quote, he said fine go ahead but how do I pay I am interstate?

As I have a policy for money upfront I suggested he go the front page of my website and click on the Paymate option, within 3 mins he had filled in the 1 page form entered in his details with the payment of $45.

I checked my email and I had a instant notification of payment made and approved, the money $43.81 ($45.00 less fees) was automatically in my bank account on the same day as it was before 4pm on a weekday.

The account costs nothing to setup and no ongoing fees, for us it’s very rarely used by us but great to have for an instant payment option.

Wattle GC
27-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Each to there own ,however with my Interstate clients they just have my bank details and direct deposit over the net and they Email the deposit slip which i marry up to the statement..Easy and no-charges..

TOO EASY YARD CARE
28-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I got a call about getting one of these today im not intrested but the way things are going with banks these days there will be no suck thing as paper money or coins it will just be done by cards

DAJ
29-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Since I started this thread i have decided it is not worth the cost for wireless efpos .What i have done with all of my regulars that dont pay cash is organise with them to pay via computer into my bank account . It works realy well and there are no exuses not to pay ie; i dont have the money on me can i fix you up next time .
Cheers

Wattle GC
29-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Since I started this thread i have decided it is not worth the cost for wireless efpos .What i have done with all of my regulars that dont pay cash is organise with them to pay via computer into my bank account . It works realy well and there are no exuses not to pay ie; i dont have the money on me can i fix you up next time .
Cheers

Correct..Just make sure you have your account details on your invoices and throughly tune them in from hollo and you will have no probs..Running a small business is about saving on things like bank charges and the small changes I made to how people pay me has saved me $30.00 per month just in fees..

Redeye
29-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree with Wattle, cash or direct deposit - I also have account details on my invoices. 90% of my payments are by this way apart from cash. My local Bowlo will cash cheques for members if they're made out to the club which is handy.

Bluey
29-07-2009, 07:46 PM
I try to get all my clients to pay by EFT if they don't want to pay cash. Cheques are a pain and I am about to charge a handling fee of $5 to try and discourage this. Only have a few who use them anyway.

I find most people love the idea of paying via EFT. Easy for them and easy for me but you have to make sure they quote the invoice number as a reference when paying. Just place a note on the invoice regarding how to pay by EFT.

I send the majority of my invoices by email as well. Make sure you ask for a read receipt.

glassngrass
29-07-2009, 09:37 PM
EFT suggests a Point of Sale card swipe machine...

Bluey - do you actually mean bank transfer?

Islandhead
29-07-2009, 10:23 PM
EFT - Electronic funds transfer... it is a bank transfer

You are thinking of EFTPOS :cool:

Bluey
07-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I have just set up a PayMate account on a clients page. It is the Aussie version of PayPal. You can set it up in minutes and add the button to your web page to link into your account. You can set it up to either have the customer pay any fees or you absorb them. There are a number of different account types based on your turnover.

Pretty impressive and cheaper than PayPal. Next step is to put it on my own sites. David from GlassnGrass put me onto it.

Here is the link.

http://www.paymate.com/cms/

Bgs
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Read post 17 Mikes put us onto it a week ago :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That's two good reviews sounds like a goer. :)

Bluey
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes missed that. It is really easy.

Bluey
16-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I have just set up a PayMate account on a clients page. It is the Aussie version of PayPal. You can set it up in minutes and add the button to your web page to link into your account. You can set it up to either have the customer pay any fees or you absorb them. There are a number of different account types based on your turnover.

Pretty impressive and cheaper than PayPal. Next step is to put it on my own sites. David from GlassnGrass put me onto it.

Here is the link.

http://www.paymate.com/cms/

PayMate works really well. I just sent an invoice for a job I did yesterday.

Invoice sent 8.09 pm
Notification of payment made via PayMate 8.46 pm
Notification of payment approved by PayMate 8.52 pm

I am impressed

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I rang up about once when i firsrt started and they wanted a fortune just to have it avaliable and then so much each time it was used. not viable for this low paying industrie.

Thats my opion any way maybe different banks are cheaper im with commonwealth.

Bluey
16-09-2009, 10:16 PM
If you take less than $5000 a month using it you can use their Standard Account. No monthly fees and no requirement for a prepaid amount. All you pay is 2.4% of the transaction. Cost nothing to set up. Here is the fee schedule

http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/faq/46

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-09-2009, 10:56 PM
If you take less than $5000 a month using it you can use their Standard Account. No monthly fees and no requirement for a prepaid amount. All you pay is 2.4% of the transaction. Cost nothing to set up. Here is the fee schedule

http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/faq/46

I was talking about wireless eftpos not this paymate. paymate looks alright but again its got to be done by a customer on a computer they might as well direct debit I have several customers direct debit.

If some one gives you a bad check though that is an inditable offence and if you tell the police they can have the person charged and the judge order restertution. You will get your money might take a while though.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I got a call about getting one of these today im not intrested but the way things are going with banks these days there will be no suck thing as paper money or coins it will just be done by cards

Yes i agree totally there has been times where i have not seen real money for months as pay was going into bank eftpos groceries and fuel direct debit bills no real cash. I think its all part of the goverment being able to controll no cash no jobs done with out tax.

Bluey
17-09-2009, 08:47 PM
No need to be afraid of a cashless society. As long as you can use it to buy stuff who cares how you have it. The guy I said who paid up quickly last night via PayMate is a new client. I asked him for his feed back on the process.

This is what he said.

Bruce,

Very convenient and quick payment method, like the ability to be able to do it online with my credit card.

Thanks for doing a great job, looks really good.

Regards

Paul

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
17-09-2009, 09:42 PM
No need to be afraid of a cashless society. As long as you can use it to buy stuff who cares how you have it. The guy I said who paid up quickly last night via PayMate is a new client. I asked him for his feed back on the process.

This is what he said.

Bruce,

Very convenient and quick payment method, like the ability to be able to do it online with my credit card.

Thanks for doing a great job, looks really good.

Regards

Paul

Mate i am happy it is working for you. Do you have people borke because you want them to pay up front. I have one client i qouted him and then he wanted bank account so he could set up direct debit and he has money in there every second tuesday night i mow his yard every second wednesday and have never seen him since the qoute. Thats the customers i like :laughing: his neighbour reckons he doesnt even live there anymore but as long as the money is in the bank i dont care ill mow it. :)

Stripes
21-01-2011, 05:41 PM
I am about to get a mobile eftpos machine. I had to change my business package with ANZ to a plan which is $32 per month. I was paying about $20-30 before depending on what I did, then I will get free rental for the first year and half price forever after that (normally $50 per month). The bundle has a few different things on it that are good including more secure internet banking. They give you a keyring with a small digital screen which has a number code that changes every minute. When you are logging in you have to do the ac number, password, and the code on the keyring. Without the code, you cannot log in. They also offer a 0.2 to 0.6% cut on your mortgage interest rate depending how much you borrowed.

The eftpos terminal will cost 1.5% of each visa or mastercard transaction, and 3% for American express or Diners card. You can pass this on to your clients as long as you tell them before. On top of that it will cost 5 cents for each transaction, or a flat 10 cents if they use a savings/cheque account. There is no percentage for the bank on non credit transactions.

They asked a few questions first about how many transactions you do and what amounts, and if the fees are less than $29 per month, they will charge you that anyway but not for the first 6 months.

It will be handy to have, especially for my irrigation service jobs, and will also allow people to gain reward points on installations I do which can range from 2-5k.

glassngrass
21-01-2011, 07:12 PM
I was talking about wireless eftpos not this paymate. paymate looks alright but again its got to be done by a customer on a computer they might as well direct debit I have several customers direct debit.

Don't confuse Direct Debit (merchant takes funds) with Bank Transfer (client sends funds) - I think you mean Bank Transfer. If client is reliable, then Bank Transfer is the best, and fee free!

With PayMate - you CAN get set up for Merchant Originated Transactions. Then the client provides their Visa or Mastercard details and YOU can process the transaction online yourself. As a protection, I'd probably design a form for the client to sign - proving authority to process the transaction

I have an account with EziDebit and accept Direct Debits. One client - a nurse on rotating shift - has been consistently late in payments for three years! I sent her a Direct Debit authority which she promptly returned signed, and now I schedule a payment from her account 7 days after invoice (giving her a chance to receive invoice in mail). The funds are then in my bank three days later. Costs me just $1.10 for set up, then just $1.10 per transaction for bank account Direct Debits. DD's from credit card cost a little more (a percentage) For this over-$100 per service client I chose to absorb the $1.10 fee, however this can be set up for client to wear this cost