PDA

View Full Version : help l need some experience

bigman
23-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi is there anyone in the southeast of vic that l can come out with for 1or2 days to get a feel for the work before l comit myself to starting on my own .You dont have to pay me,unless l am labouring for you. So if you want some company and would like to pass on some of your knowledge IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPR :wave-hi: ECIATED.

geejay
23-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi

Iam also starting out in the new year in the NE suberbs and have general expirance with :nurseries,plants,landscaping,gardening,hegde pruning,edging (line and blade),mowing and blowing.I could help you with what I know in these areas.

On the quoting/costing side Iam getting friends to get quotes from other operators so that I can figure that side out.Also looking at Dean's book and going over posts on this forum.We could swop ideas on this subject.Looking for a senoir mentor person on the forum but so far know offers of help as yet. I have a good friend that is a Pro lawnie coming to visist for 3 weeks during the Australian open, and will get heaps of tips and training so could give some added help in Feb 08.

On the marketing side we have ads booked and will do flyers drops in target areas.Plus call on Real Estate Agents and other movers & shakers

On the equipment side I have the basics and have figured out what makes to purchase to add on to this.Could swop some ideas. I like the Shindawa multi tool and the c4 machine is of interest for the low noise and immisions.I will be using a 7 by 4 trailer to start.On the vehicle side posiable a long wheel base Toyota Hi Ace on gas.

Let me know if I could help and we could get togther .

Cheers

GJ

bigman
23-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks For The Response Sounds Like You More Ready Than Me I Dont Have Any Equipment Yet Or Trailer I Was Hoping To Start With As Little Equipment As Possible Ie Mower, Trimmer , And Tools .

geejay
24-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi

It all depends on the jobs you take on and what people want done. Your equipment would be fine for the basics,edge,mow and blow.You could always hire other equipment and bill this into the quote(add on 10% to cost).I have gone to hire shops in target areas and got costs for all equipment plus diffrent size trailers.If you start with the basics purchased at good prices you will be in profit really quick,save when you can and purchase additional tools.

Cheers

geejay
24-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi

Just another thought I have purchased some hi vize shirts,broad brim hat and had my company logo embroidered on to them.Its not expensive but first impressions do count. I have put my ILMCA stickers on my vehicle and gear with my co logo. My marketing and sales pitch will include that Iam a ILMCA member.Fully insured is very important as part of this professional image.

That sets the bar for me to do a exceptional job,the client will feel assured that Iam insured and belong to ILMCA.

bigman
24-12-2007, 10:11 PM
thanks again i have not yet purchased membership with ILMCA. l have started looking for a trailer it seems like new is the way to go people just are asking to much for second hand ,l will start of by pamphlet drop locally also need to get registered, insured ect, but dont wont to do this yet untill l no what l am in for . Maybe most contractors are on holidays or arent interested in helping a newcomer :i dunno: l dont blame them they proberly think they will have there customers pinched l no l would. :mad: There is a lot of competition out there.

geejay
25-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Merry Xmas mate

It is a big step going into biz,little steps well excuted will get you there.Knowlege is power(most of that is gained doing the job),it would be nice to have some wise grey matter that is a retired lawnie help with tips and costings,equipment and guide you along,sort of pull you up and say hey you need to do that better or hey thats a really great job(maybe we should remember and offer our services when we retire).I suppose customers will tell one that by keeping you on or not.I would recommend joining the club as soon as you can(iam sure its a tax ductable expense,set up costs)(keep a record of all your set up costs,even a log book and apply for a ABN number), I have called Dean with heaps of different questions and he has been very helpful and accomadating.Dean is a active lawnie and has his head in the biz ,so even better than a retired lawnie. The info in the book,Lawn Mowing Fast Track to Sucess, is awsome,Dean gives heaps of tips and advice.

Yes it is competitive,but thats good in life as it makes one raise ones bar.

Trailers second hand are expensive. I have bid on a few but pulled out as they went over the top. I have visted a few new manufactures and have one in mind.The set up and needs for that trailer are the key to me. At this stage I have no customers so do not know the needs.Once the marketing starts and the calls come in,go and quote get the job one will soon find out.If I do not have a trailer when this starts I will hire for the needs.I figure if iI quote just on a edge,mow and blow, I will try and whack it right away,my set up can handle that.If its a bigger job I will quote try get a deposist and see if I get a more few bigger jobs,tackle them on one day,the hire equip can be spread over the lot.Can always cut the hourly rate to accomadate hire equip to start with, and remain in line with general priceing in the target area.

The configeration is another thought, ute,hi-ace etc.I know theft of equipment is a biggie and the trailers I see hold heaps of equipment,they are heavy and manufactured heavy(almost like tanks).I keep seeing a trailers purpose for carrying grass cliipings,branches,leaves etc which is bulky but light.The transport ute carrying the equipment,its secure and generally designed to carry heavy stuff.I do not think the trailer would be needed all the time.The bin of a ute can carry heaps of bagged clippings etc.mower,trimmer and blower under and top as the rubbish piles up.A long wheel Hi Ace appeals to me,equipment can be mounted on the sides and bagged rubbish piled down the middle.This would make for nimble transport in the congested areas of our city.I have thought of the fuel and oil smell plus rubbish in the hi ace and asked my pro lawnie who says its no problem,i suppose its a mixture of what we breath all day,just more concentrated.

Cheers

Have a good one

kakegc
25-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Merry Xmas mate

It is a big step going into biz,little steps well excuted will get you there.Knowlege is power(most of that is gained doing the job),it would be nice to have some wise grey matter that is a retired lawnie help with tips and costings,equipment and guide you along,sort of pull you up and say hey you need to do that better or hey thats a really great job(maybe we should remember and offer our services when we retire).I suppose customers will tell one that by keeping you on or not.I would recommend joining the club as soon as you can(iam sure its a tax ductable expense,set up costs)(keep a record of all your set up costs,even a log book and apply for a ABN number), I have called Dean with heaps of different questions and he has been very helpful and accomadating.Dean is a active lawnie and has his head in the biz ,so even better than a retired lawnie. The info in the book,Lawn Mowing Fast Track to Sucess, is awsome,Dean gives heaps of tips and advice.

Yes it is competitive,but thats good in life as it makes one raise ones bar.

Trailers second hand are expensive. I have bid on a few but pulled out as they went over the top. I have visted a few new manufactures and have one in mind.The set up and needs for that trailer are the key to me. At this stage I have no customers so do not know the needs.Once the marketing starts and the calls come in,go and quote get the job one will soon find out.If I do not have a trailer when this starts I will hire for the needs.I figure if iI quote just on a edge,mow and blow, I will try and whack it right away,my set up can handle that.If its a bigger job I will quote try get a deposist and see if I get a more few bigger jobs,tackle them on one day,the hire equip can be spread over the lot.Can always cut the hourly rate to accomadate hire equip to start with, and remain in line with general priceing in the target area.

The configeration is another thought, ute,hi-ace etc.I know theft of equipment is a biggie and the trailers I see hold heaps of equipment,they are heavy and manufactured heavy(almost like tanks).I keep seeing a trailers purpose for carrying grass cliipings,branches,leaves etc which is bulky but light.The transport ute carrying the equipment,its secure and generally designed to carry heavy stuff.I do not think the trailer would be needed all the time.The bin of a ute can carry heaps of bagged clippings etc.mower,trimmer and blower under and top as the rubbish piles up.A long wheel Hi Ace appeals to me,equipment can be mounted on the sides and bagged rubbish piled down the middle.This would make for nimble transport in the congested areas of our city.I have thought of the fuel and oil smell plus rubbish in the hi ace and asked my pro lawnie who says its no problem,i suppose its a mixture of what we breath all day,just more concentrated.

Cheers

Have a good one

Merry Christmas! I don't know that you'll find too many retired lawnies on this forum mate? :i dunno:

1. look at what the established & successful guys in your area are using in the way of utes & trailers. They are doing so for good reason.

2. I would recommend that you don't buy a styleside (bathtub type) ute! Their carrying capacity is way too small & the tub rusts out with grass clippings in it! ;) Some guys will disagree, but once you buy a ute with a drop down ALLOY tray, you'd never go back to a tub.

3. Plan those big jobs you're talking about at one per day to start with! They are VERY hard work, especially when you're learning & there is the "unknowns" factor to consider! You may think its going to take you 2 hours & it turns out to be 5!

4. This should have been No 1; Please read all of the old posts on this forum! I think you'll find all of your questions have been asked before, many times!

5. This should have been No 2; network with successful lawnies in your area! Please go over my other posts to see why.

Have a great Christmas & good luck in your new venture! :)

geejay
25-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all the info mate really appreciate it.

I ve pouring over the posts and there is heaps of really good info.

Have a Happy Xmas

Gotta get to Xmas lunch

Cheers

GJ

Mrs HMS
26-12-2007, 11:00 AM
You have been given some great advice here, especially about reading the old posts....the same questions come up over and over again. They were exactly the ones we had when Tim started.

Tim had a long chat on the phone with Dean and of all the great advice he gave him, one thing stood out....

The best way to learn is to do, so bite the bullet get out there and give it a go.

It's so true. Tim learned more in his first month out on his own that in all the months of research and planning that went before.

Good luck!

just john
26-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Putting it in a nutshell your only mowing a lawn in which you have probably been doing your own for years ,there's no difference and as you gain experience you become quicker and more confident :rolleyes: :russ:

geejay
26-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi

Thanks for all the encourgement and tips for us in our new venture.

Life is so funny when ever you start something new(that really is not that new) like cutting lawns,edges etc,we have done this for so long at home.But I suppose the differance is you are getting paid by someone and they are going to look at your work,thats the hard part, yes or no that was a good job.There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.One does not want to under quote or over quote,but that will happen and expirance will iron the crinkles out.

We are fortunate for this forum,Dean, and in that I have a good mate that is a Pro Lawnie that will stay with me for 3 weeks to help get us up and going.

Cheers

just john
26-12-2007, 06:32 PM
You learn by your mistakes all you got to do is under quote a couple of times you'll never do it again........GOOD LUCK :laughing:

Sandgroper
27-12-2007, 11:51 PM
We are fortunate for this forum,Dean, and in that I have a good mate that is a Pro Lawnie that will stay with me for 3 weeks to help get us up and going.

Cheers

I guess this will be in winter ?

Pro lawnies may take the odd days off in summer, but not 3 weeks, even in winter 2 weeks off seems the norm other wise you get to far behind.

geejay
28-12-2007, 05:28 AM
No January for three weeks.

His opearation has management and employed lawnies to do the practical mowing etc.

Cheers

kakegc
28-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Putting it in a nutshell your only mowing a lawn in which you have probably been doing your own for years ,there's no difference and as you gain experience you become quicker and more confident :rolleyes: :russ:

Me thinks you're in for a bit of a shock lol! ;)

geejay
28-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes Iam sure there will be heaps of expirances that are not so good mixed up with lots of good ones.Will have to learn from the bad ones,under quoting,brocken windows,etc,etc.Hey but thats what makes life so wonderful.

kakegc
28-12-2007, 11:46 AM
True, but that's not what I meant!

I meant that anyone who thinks all you're going to be doing is mowing lawns is in for a hell of a shock! :eyes:

Just go over the old threads & you'll get an idea of what I mean! There will be things you've never encountered before almost everyday when you start out! When do I prune this? How do I prune that? Is that a weed or a plant? How do I poison this without killing the neighbor's dog? Why is my lawn dying in spots?

That is unless (he asked with his tongue firmly in his cheek!) you are going to be a back-yarder who doesn't know anything about what he's doing & just cuts grass? ;)

geejay
28-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok, so the public we are dealing with see lawnies as garderners hortlicultururists that can deal with bugs in the lawns,prune the hydrangea,feed the plants etc,

Its a bigger than meets the eye(off the avearage back yarder).

Thanks for the enlightment...

Really appreciate it.

Better get swoting on those garden books.A contact at a nursery would be good.

Cheers

Sandgroper
28-12-2007, 01:42 PM
No January for three weeks.

His opearation has management and employed lawnies to do the practical mowing etc.

Cheers

Well thats a big help, you will have a huge head strart on most starting out, we all need a pro lawnie to help us when we are starting. :)

geejay
28-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Yes Iam very, very lucky

I helped this mate get going in his biz and when heard I was going to do the same here he insisted on coming out to help,I was gob smacked,really, and said no way,you are flat out.He said h has booked the flight,bags packed(clothes) and thats that,what a mate...

What come round goes round,nothing like good old mateship.......

Cheers

just john
28-12-2007, 03:50 PM
True, but that's not what I meant!

I meant that anyone who thinks all you're going to be doing is mowing lawns is in for a hell of a shock! :eyes:

Just go over the old threads & you'll get an idea of what I mean! There will be things you've never encountered before almost everyday when you start out! When do I prune this? How do I prune that? Is that a weed or a plant? How do I poison this without killing the neighbor's dog? Why is my lawn dying in spots?

That is unless (he asked with his tongue firmly in his cheek!) you are going to be a back-yarder who doesn't know anything about what he's doing & just cuts grass? ;)

Just cut grass ,isn't that the majority of our work and when the situation arises when we do prune or garden we can use common sense or pick someones brains for information,unless your a level 1 11 or 111 certificate horticulturists or a know all :p

geejay
28-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes you just do not know what will come your way ,good old common sense, Phds,picking mates brains ,with action will get you there.

To me lifes a journey..............

Cheers

geejay
28-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi

Marketing started today.

Had my first call from a leaflet drop:

Renter currie muncher,long grass needs it brushcut............

I said cash up front then cut,he said ok.

I will quote .....

Can only get better.......

Cheers

just john
28-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi

Marketing started today.

Had my first call from a leaflet drop:

Renter currie muncher,long grass needs it brushcut............

I said cash up front then cut,he said ok.

I will quote .....

Can only get better.......

Cheers

Renter, currie muncher, long grass .......youv'e got the trifecta there :laughing: :laughing:

geejay
28-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Yep and a mule is running.

kakegc
28-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Just cut grass ,isn't that the majority of our work and when the situation arises when we do prune or garden we can use common sense or pick someones brains for information,unless your a level 1 11 or 111 certificate horticulturists or a know all :p

Hummmmm! I'm not getting my message across am I? Know it all??? :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno: that ain't me! I learn everyday I'm out there!

I'm starting to wonder why I'm bothering to reply to this thread!

So, when you mow this lawn at home, is it tall fescue? If so, how much should I mow off of it? when I take bits out of it with my snipper, will it grow back? How do I fix the dead bits that don't grow back? maybe it's buffalo? how do I nail the weeds in it? perhaps its one of the many couch hybrids? if so, why is it getting all spongy & why am I leaving rings in it when I mow it? Why would I scarify it? How do you scarify it? What is scarifying? When do you core it? How do you core it? How much do you charge to scarify & core it? Why bother coring it? What happens if I scarify buffalo? How does the lawnie who mows the lawn next door do those edges so nice & sharp? What the hell is brown patch? when should a customer water it, in the morning or in the evening? What are mole crickets? what do mole crickets do to a nice healthy lawn? How do I kill them? what are cock-chafferer's? What are curl grubs? How can the soil profile affect how the turf grows (or doesn't grow). How do I test for soil PH? And I'm just getting warmed up lol!

;frosty;

I probably sound like a prick, but I'm just trying to help! The last thing any of us needs is more people out there who know 2 fifths of stuff all about what they're doing & thus reduce the standing of the rest of us in the community as garden care professionals!

Have a good one! ;)

geejay
28-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Wow what a swade of questions,enough to put any new lawnie off,not.

Carpe Diem, mates

Mrs HMS
30-12-2007, 10:23 AM
The last thing any of us needs is more people out there who know 2 fifths of stuff all about what they're doing & thus reduce the standing of the rest of us in the community as garden care professionals!

If everyone who knew 2 fifths of stuff all about it were prevented from starting in this industry we wouldn't have this industry.

Yes there is an enormous amount of information that we need to know, however if you try and learn it all first you may as well go get a masters in horticulture first so you can mow a good lawn. I understand and appreciate what you're saying but newbies are just that - new and learning everyday (as we all still are), lets try and think of them as an asset to the industry rather than a liability.

The best thing about this site is that you can pretty much always find someone who's dealt with a problem you are currently experiencing and are prepared to let others benefit from their experience.

We knew LESS than stuff all when we started but now know considerably more - can now probably claim to have raised the level of our knowledge to stuff all.

Each job is a classroom, learn all you can while you're there.

ian
30-12-2007, 05:47 PM
the people who know stuff all just make the rest of us look better and if they don't learn quickly then they go out of business and give us more work

geejay
30-12-2007, 06:10 PM
It would be interesting to know the stats of where the newbies work is derived from i.e pro lawnies retiring,new customers to having garden service,disatisfied,under cutting,etc.................

The circle of life.

m287j
30-12-2007, 09:50 PM
I started in this industry 2 years ago with only a very general knowledge of gardening having come from a white collar background. I was probably one of those newbies in the 1 out of 5 category.

After 2 years i can proudly say i am now a 4 out of 5. How did i get that knowledge ? Reading, visiting websites, looking at forums like this, talking to other lawnies and on the job experience. I have learnt so much in the past two years it is incredible.

Those newbies that decide to dedicate themselves to this industry will learn like i and many otheres have. This makes us all much more professional and those that decide to go that extra step and study a horticultural course at TAFE or somewhere else can probably then class themselves at the upper level of the professional scale.

geejay
30-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Its a great journey life,great to be human,adapablity is our strong point.We can really do anything we put our minds to, with heaps of passion,intergrity and action,people will give one a "Fair Go",aspecially in Australia.........

Carpe Deim,make it yours...........

Shepparton Lawn Care
31-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Fantastic Post Mrs HMS!!... Good Luck Geejay... Remember... "From little things big things grow"

Lancat
31-12-2007, 08:44 PM
SimonSLC your quote would be a great name for a song :)

It’s so true that lawnies that have a genuine interest in the industry are the one that really succeed. Their ones that have a good client bass and a business that turns over good revenues.

I believe that if a person has a genuine interest in what they do they will always do well. Read what you can, ask questions and put it to practice. Mistake will be made and lessons learnt. What advised by some may not be the best but their advise it given with good intent.

Every week I learn something new except quoting on jobs. Quoting is one of those things that I don’t thing I will ever master.