PDA

View Full Version : Hedger problem

Bgs
19-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Hello,

Yesterday I started my Kaaz hedger and the engine runs fine but the blades do not move up and down.

Any suggestions is it something simple or should i take to the repair shop.

Thanks

haireyscarie
19-01-2008, 09:20 AM
clean it
lube it
spray it with inox after ever use's
and you should not have a problem

ps
how old is it when did you last use it.
is it rusty
is there a stick in it

Bgs
19-01-2008, 11:19 AM
it is only a couple of months old I have not used it for about 4 weeks it has sat in the tool box on my trailer for those 4 weeks, i will give it good clean and look for sticks lodged in it.

Thanks for the advice

Bgs
19-01-2008, 12:39 PM
when all else fails read the instruction manual. The blade bolts were too tight slightly loosened them and it now works. :wave-hi:

m287j
20-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Lucky, when the blades on my Stihl pole trimmer stopped working it turned out to be the gears, $200 later it was working.

kakegc
20-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Lucky, when the blades on my Stihl pole trimmer stopped working it turned out to be the gears, $200 later it was working.

Same thing happened on a Husky I had-OUCH! :(

kakegc
20-01-2008, 04:06 PM
when all else fails read the instruction manual. The blade bolts were too tight slightly loosened them and it now works. :wave-hi:

Its a double edged sword! If you loosen them too much they give an awful shredded cut, rather than cutting clean. I loosen them all off until it's working OK, then tighten them one at a time, starting the motor between screws to make sure their not too tight. I also lube them with liquid lanolin before & after every job. It doesn't fly off onto you & the job like WD40 does & it lubricates the blades at least as well. :wave-hi:

Bgs
20-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Its a double edged sword! If you loosen them too much they give an awful shredded cut, rather than cutting clean. I loosen them all off until it's working OK, then tighten them one at a time, starting the motor between screws to make sure their not too tight. I also lube them with liquid lanolin before & after every job. It doesn't fly off onto you & the job like WD40 does & it lubricates the blades at least as well. :wave-hi:

Thanks for that I was using wd40 aswell I will give the liquid lanolin ago.

I took all the blades off cleaned them then tighten the blades fully then unscrewed them a 1/4 of a turn so it might of been a combinations of tight blades and some gunk stuck in them.

worzel
01-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi kakegc
On my hedger I use oil,wd40 or crc
Do you think liquid lanolin is better than an ordinary oil for maintaining blades
Cheers Worzel

:wave-hi: :wave-hi:

Lancat
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I find Inox and lanolin stick to the blades really well thus letting the blades run cooler. I use the cheap $2 cans of de greaser to clean the blades under a running tap. Then spray the blades again with Inox or lanolin spray before storing them.

I also insure I pump one or two pumps of grease into the gearbox of the Sthil & Honda hedger every ten or so hours. The grease moves slowly up between the two blades. Don’t over fill the gearbox. The pressure of the extra grease in the gearbox sometimes dosent allow the drive gear to turn causing the motor to stall

If you have replaced your blades and don’t have a torque wrench, I find the easiest way to identify which bolt is too tight is by touch. Run the Hedger for a few minute. The tight will generate more heat that the others. Loosen that bolt and recheck the rest of the ,bolts again.

kakegc
01-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi kakegc
On my hedger I use oil,wd40 or crc
Do you think liquid lanolin is better than an ordinary oil for maintaining blades
Cheers Worzel

:wave-hi: :wave-hi:

G'day Worzel! :wave-hi: How was your Christmas & New Year? Good to see you back, I've missed you on here mate! :)

Yep, I reckon that liquid lanolin is streets ahead of WD40 or CRC (or Inox!) on the hedger blades! besides the lubrication, it cleans off all of that green crap that builds up between the blades & it doesn't burn the bushes that you're pruning.

Cheers, Kevin................

:)

worzel
15-02-2008, 03:15 PM
G,day Kevin
Re Xmas- New Year
Busy ,busy busy. It must be be hard for you Aussies with the drought and all
Thanks for asking
I can't seem to find that lanolin product over here.
Does it have a brand name :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

kakegc
15-02-2008, 03:40 PM
G'day Worzel, the stuff I use is called Lanotec. You can get it aerosol or atomizer pump. I prefer the aerosol. Briggs & Stratton knock out one too. Most of the mower shops sell it here.

Drought, what drought??? it rained for a while one day about 8 weeks ago lol! :Rain:

Cheers, Kevin............ :)

ian
15-02-2008, 10:35 PM
you could also try auto shops supercheap auto and autobarn sell it in vic

worzel
09-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Gi,day Kakegc
You use the same hedge trimmers as me.
I have just started to use a lanolin based product.
It does clean all the green muck off my blades.
Thanks for the advice mate :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi:
I find this forum gives advice from contractors who are doing the same work as you is far more honest than a dealer who only wants to promote their product.
Do you find hedge trimming pays huge $ compared to lawns
Cheers Worzel

kakegc
10-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Do you find hedge trimming pays huge $ compared to lawns

Not really Worzel, it pays more, but only coz you're there longer & it's tougher on your body than lawns. We regularly do a little one (1200mm high by about 1200 wide x about 10M long) & I hit him up $40.00 to do it. I only have to do one side, so it only takes me about half hour. I usually do it while Karen is mowing his lawns. We've got a big bugger that we do every 6 weeks on a main road & I hate that one (too bloody high!) Takes about an hour to do; 20 mins or so on the pole hedger & then about 40 mins up the ladder with my arms stretched too far with the Echo. I hit them up $1.50 a minute to do it, because it's a pain & wouldn't be worth doing for anything less. We used to have this real mongrel of a thing that we pruned for an old lady on a large corner block. What can you do? You can't charge old ladies big $$$ so we used to do it a bit on the cheap side, but she kept the waste. I was glad when she sold the joint. We do quite a lot of one offs & we seem to make a good dollar off them though. :cool:

PS: glad you like the lanolin! ;)

worzel
02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi Kevin
I think my echo is the same as yours.
When I trim 2-3 metre high hedges I use my stihl pole trimmer.
Over here there are these damn Wetas.When I lean over over with the echo these damn things jump in your face etc.They scare the **** out my old man and brothers but as long as they don't jump in my face I can put up with them.
With the pole hedger I stand on a ladder and look down on the hedge and these nasties can't bite me.
Lanolin is great (thanks)I find blades can go longer between sharpening.

:) :) :) :)