PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Cable on Honda mowers

m287j
20-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I was just curious to know how often you have to replace the throttle cable on your Honda mower ?

I replaced mine for the first time in 3 years a couple of months ago due to it stretching. After 3 months it is stuffed again and needs replacing.

Considering how long the original cable lasted i am not real happy to see the replacement has only lasted 3 months.

kakegc
20-01-2008, 04:00 PM
I've got a 7 year old HRU195 with a worn out chassis that I only use for rough area mowing. It's done that much work that its on its third set of wheels & the throttle cable has had a kink in it for about 3 years, but it still works 7 years on :) Maybe the replacement you got wasn't the real deal? I've got a 216 & another 195 & the throttle cables are both good. :ebony:

DAJ
20-01-2008, 04:23 PM
What Kakegc says might be true.A lot of shops sell aftermarket cables as the real thing .I have fitted plenty of both and there is a big difference.The after market ones are thinner and the top lug is not the right size.As long as the cable is lubed as part of your servicing it should last for years.
I have an old HR214 still on its original cable.
cheers :)

Lancat
20-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Did the cable come in a sealed bag with the Honda part number and sticker? If so I would go back to the place you purchased it from and ask for a warranty replacement.

m287j
20-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Did the cable come in a sealed bag with the Honda part number and sticker? If so I would go back to the place you purchased it from and ask for a warranty replacement.

I took the mower to the local Stihl shop to get repaired (not my usual repairer) so i will phone and see if it was a genuine part and if it is covered by warranty.

Islandhead
20-01-2008, 07:40 PM
As long as the cable is lubed as part of your servicing it should last for years.
I have an old HR214 still on its original cable.
cheers :)

What would you use to lube the cable?

mowjoman
20-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I spray INOX down mine once a week. Just lift the top rubber and spray....done in 10 seconds. :wave-hi:

Islandhead
21-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I spray INOX down mine once a week. Just lift the top rubber and spray....done in 10 seconds. :wave-hi:

Cheers Mowjoman, picked some up today :wave-hi:

kakegc
24-01-2008, 11:45 PM

INOX here too! :)

kakegc
24-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Bugger! I mozzed myself! The bloody cable on on the old mower has stretched that much that the bloody mower wouldn't turn off today! Note to self; no more bragging about how well throttle cables last! :(

m287j
25-01-2008, 09:00 PM

So what is INOX ? Never heard of it. Can i get it at the mower shop ? I do use lanolin spray on my hedger blades.

JJR
25-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Bugger! I mozzed myself! The bloody cable on on the old mower has stretched that much that the bloody mower wouldn't turn off today! Note to self; no more bragging about how well throttle cables last! :(
Are you sure the cable has stretched? I have had the outer cable slip through its clamp at the carby end.... a quick adjustment later and things are fixed.
P.S. If you've already checked this cancel last statement, cheers, John :laughing:

JJR
25-01-2008, 10:11 PM
So what is INOX ? Never heard of it. Can i get it at the mower shop ? I do use lanolin spray on my hedger blades.
:wave-hi: Saw it on the shelf at Bunnings the other day, (Tool department)
http://www.inox-mx3.com/ :aus-flag:

mowjoman
25-01-2008, 10:19 PM
INOX Lanox, multi purpose, marine etc...I spray it all my linkages on the JD too...is good with rubber where the ol' WD40 can damage the rubber. I get it from Super cheap Auto, bout 11 bucks a tin.

kakegc
26-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Are you sure the cable has stretched? I have had the outer cable slip through its clamp at the carby end.... a quick adjustment later and things are fixed.
P.S. If you've already checked this cancel last statement, cheers, John :laughing:

Thanks for the suggestion John, I know what you mean about that little clamp :) I run cable ties very tightly around the cable at the carby end to stop them slipping through the clamp if (when!) the screw comes loose. Being somewhat of a cheapskate, I fixed it by cutting off the cable tie & putting another one on further down on the steel bit on the end of the cable. It seems to have worked for now! :) Thanks again! Kevin......... ;)

Bgs
13-12-2008, 11:35 PM
I know this is going to sound like a dumb question but bear in mind I am clinically classified as mechanically retarded. Does anyone have any advice for adjusting the cable on a 216 , I cant see anything in the owners manual. My lever is out of whack on the lever slow is stop fast is slow choke is fast :o

DAJ
16-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Under the throttle lever housing there is an adjuster built into the cable.If you put the lever on choke and then adjust the cable so that the choke just comes on fully all the other settings should fall into place.Hope this helps.Cheers :wave-hi:

administrator
16-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Apply some locktite on throttle clamp screw should solve the problem of coming undone .

Sandgroper
16-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Folding the handles causes premeture wear and stretching on the cables so avoid that if you can.

Bgs
17-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Under the throttle lever housing there is an adjuster built into the cable.If you put the lever on choke and then adjust the cable so that the choke just comes on fully all the other settings should fall into place.Hope this helps.Cheers :wave-hi:

Thanks Daj I was trying to to adjust it with the lever in the stop position and wasn't getting anywhere thankyou. :wave-hi:

Folding the handles causes premeture wear and stretching on the cables so avoid that if you can. Thanks for that Sandgroper I have been folding the handles of a night so I can lock the cover on the ute thats probally what put it out of whack

greasemonkey
22-12-2008, 10:05 PM
INOX is just a lubricant spray....we use RP7 on all our cables, you'd be surprised how much of a difference spraying the cables can make. I always run a little bit of bar oil (chainsaw) over the pivoting parts of the height adjust rack as well (or spray grease) A moving part is a wearing part :P

gjs
23-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I use a garphite powder. using a liquid lubricant attracts dirt and you will end up with stickier cables etc or find you will need to keep cleaning or lubing them due to the build up of sludgy matter.
regrds
gjs

imoww
02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know if the straigh blades can be replaced with the 4 swing blades on a Honda HR214 ?
Im looking at buying a back up mower. (Honda HR214) It seems to have the straight blade

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Sorry Imoww. cant tell you. And sorry for highjacking thread, but what happened to Islandhead. Does anyone know?

Back to Basics
28-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Lost the nut that holds the throttle assembly onto the handle. Fell off while doing a yard. Would have happened seconds before I noticed so had a look around, nothing!

What is the size of the nut, is it a 6mm thread? I tried 1/4 inch but no good. Will need to get a nylock nut for it tomorrow, but need sizing.

Bluey
28-03-2011, 06:48 PM
If you mean the dome nut then it is 9mm. Just went and checked it. A good back up plan is to have a big tin that you throw all left over and orphan nuts into. Then when you want one just tip it out on the bench and sort around till you find one. My old man taught me that.

Green Grass
28-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I'd say 6mm mate. Reckon stuff outa Japan or China is metric. To be sure a quick phonecall to your local mower shop will confirm the size (assuming it's a Honda)

Green Grass
28-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Just checked myself. Throttle and gearbox control nut that goes onto the fixed stud that protudes inwards from the handle is 6mm. Has a spring and a wave washer behind it, holds the controls in place. An exploded diagram would help to identify the offending nut.

administrator
28-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda Hru 196 throttle assembley diagram

no 9 6mm nut cap

Bluey
28-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I went and checked again. Your right the bolt is 6mm. The nut needs a9mm socket to take it off

Back to Basics
28-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Awsome, as I suspected! Thankyou for the help people. It is exactly what you pointed out in the picture, No 9. Bugger escaped! Will pick myself up a few spares tomorrow.

gcsmow
01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I broke 1 cable on my Toro ZTR, got it replaced under warranty, broke another one about 100 hrs later got it under warranty but then as soon as it was out of warranty I broke another one. I got the local mower shop to make one up from a big roll of inner and outer cable that they had and i haven't broken it yet. I always carry a spare with me now. My Hustler on the other hand has done nearly 1000 hrs and is still on the original cable.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything about it, right kakegc ?

PaulG
22-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Hmmm... I should have checked this thread before doing my throttle cables for the first time today. Pretty good run considering I haven't had to do one in 3 or 4 years. Spent ages stuffing around re-fitting though, trying to get the lever, choke, stop-switch, revs etc all working well.

Took some time but the money saved in workshop labour-time is better off staying in my bank-account where possible.

PaulG
22-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I use a garphite powder. using a liquid lubricant attracts dirt and you will end up with stickier cables etc or find you will need to keep cleaning or lubing them due to the build up of sludgy matter.
regrds
gjs

Good tip this one too.