PDA

View Full Version : walker mb problem

jimsoak
21-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I've got a Walker MB with an 18 hp briggs and stratton motor,my problem is that it will start, but then gets hot very quickly and just dies in the arse.
I've taken it to my mechanic who initially diagnosed contamintated fuel, ( none of my other gear is contaminated ) after cleaning out all the lines and replacing the carby it is still doing the same thing, he is now saying the fuel may have damaged the valves and will have to look at replacing them.
Anyone got any ideas on what else the problem may be.

lawn order
21-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Might be running lean. Make sure the air cleaner has no restrictions - up the mixture. New donks are electronically set up so that should be o/k.
Dud fuel made it hot - then the dud fuel made the valves make it hot - then the devil made me do it, all sounds like dodgy advice.
Hope your repair man is not a bigger dill than me.
I would buy a bottle of pure ethanol - metho in the south, Bundy OP in Qld, pour 50% into the briggs and drink the rest.
That's the way to make a B&S run cool.
OR
Who cares?

lawn order
21-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry northerners, Bundy does have a higher heat co-efficient than
White Lady - as near as you can get to the southern equivelant - & Yes I was taught the correct way to address a 40 pounder.
Ask your dad.

DAJ
22-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Is the engine the twin cyl vangard,if so some of them did have a habbit of burning out the l/h valve seat.but this doesnt stop them running on one cylinder.
Does the engine restart after a short rest,say 2 mins?
The electronic ignitions in them can fail when hot and then go ok when cool.After it cuts out check spark straight away.If you have a nice blue spark then run the engine again and when it starts to cut out spray airostart[or Start you Bastard] into the air filter inlet.[remove the filter first].At least this will start to home in on the problem.Sounds like your mechanic hasnt analized the prob fully.
One other simple thing that can cause this is a fuel cap that is not venting,remove the cap and run the engine,see what happens and let me know some more details.
:wave-hi:

HPM
21-08-2011, 07:40 PM
see what happens when a guest starts a thread...........what happened in the end.........my guess--vapour lock........????jimsoak? might be a bearded spy??????