PDA

View Full Version : Honda GXV160 issues

chatza
28-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I have a masport mower with a honda GXV160 on it its only done 70 or so hrs work at the most.
I changed the oil and cleaned the filters and it needed a cable adjustment as the choke was'nt comming on.
So i did all that than she was running a little funny so i had a play around with the idle control and she started backfireing like buggery so i wound it back but i am finding it hard to get the idle right it keeps going up and down not significantly but enough to annoy me, and she is allso blowing a little smoke on startup when warm.
Im wondering if it could be the choke is now staying on when im at full revs so when i power down it gums up the plug abit or have i done some valve damage or someting?
And any tips on getting the idle right?

dan1312
28-01-2008, 09:37 PM
ive got the same mower, and had a similar problem (mine would surge and carry on) it turned out that the height arm had bent (they're made out of alloy crap) and was hitting the throttle under the carby and at times becoming stuck. check this out, if this is the prob do what i did and instead of replacing it with the same crappy alloy one (about 30 bucks) get one off a old rover (i was lucky to have one lying around) and modify it to fit. it a bit a a @#$# around but trust me its a hell of a lot stronger

Lancat
28-01-2008, 10:47 PM
It sounds like you have some dirt in the carbie

If you bring the motor speed back to idle and the motor increases in revs then slows down and increases again this is a common problem called Idle Hunting

An easy fix if you are handy with the tools

Start the mower up and slow it down until it starts hunting. Then take your finger and slowly apply the choke at the carbie. If the reves smooth out there is something (dust) in the idle circuit of the carbie.

To fix. Remove the carbie. Disassemble it and clean by spraying of soaking it in carbie cleaner. Remove the carbie jets only if you are confident. Reassemble and test.

dan1312
31-01-2008, 09:22 PM
hey chatza howd you go with the mower? you get to the bottom of it?