PDA

View Full Version : Date Palms!

kakegc
12-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Stabbed myself pretty badly in the right thumb joint with a date palm spike about 15 months ago. The Doc dug around in my thumb with a scalpel for about half hour looking for the end bit that had broken off inside my thumb, but alas............. he couldn't locate it! A bit about half the size of a match stick popped out about 8 weeks later, but I could still feel a hard lump in there. Well the jolly thing is finally pushing its way out of the other side of my thumb! This was the 2nd bad one I've had with date palm spikes, Karen pulled the other bugger out of my fingers with pliers (OUCH!)

Does anyone else prune these mongrels? If so, It think I've found a safer way to prune them with the pole-saw! Go around & chop off all the fronds that are coming off, but only chop off the bits that are soft with no spikes, leaving a spiky stubby bit behind. Pick the soft bits up & put them on the ute/trailer & then go back & chop the spiky bits off. BUT make sure you ALWAYS cut them from the top downwards so they fall straight down, rather than slide down the bloody pole as they would if you cut from the bottom up (do this with all branches you chop on other trees too, including the soft fronds you chop off the date palm) Only cut a few, then turn the pole-saw off & pick em up by a spike & put them in a safe place on the ute. Then repeat till they're all done! It's probably common sense but it sure made pruning date palms much more enjoyable for me! Even so, I NEVER relax around these mongrels!) ;)

franky
12-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah, they sure do suck. Unlucky for me I have 2 of these bast**ds in my backyard, and even picking them off the ground once they've fallen has resulted in a few curse words thrown around. Sounds like a good idea, will be sure to keep it in mind next time I have to do it.

Mowjoe
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
They are bad news. I do not touch them anymore. I recommend that they contact the tree removers if it is a big one.

Would have to be the worst palm of them all.

NWGL
12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Good bit of advice kakegc.

I've had my fair share of injuries from them, including one spike going in one side of my finger and out the other - ouch !!

Use common sense and caution.

I always load them with the spiky end at the front of the trailer - that way when i'm at the tip I don't grab the wrong end. Especially helpful if you throw other stuff on top of them and can't see them, or if you just forget they are there.

haireyscarie
12-02-2008, 11:11 PM
i mulch them with my peace maker(it loves all palms)
not very often i get spiked

lawn order
19-02-2008, 08:39 PM
I date my palm fairly often!

kakegc
20-02-2008, 01:38 PM
:help: Too much info! :laughing:

just john
20-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I date my palm fairly often!
You're not alone Lawn Order ,I think there are a few on this forum with the same problem :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

administrator
20-02-2008, 05:00 PM
See also thread canary island palm ? = Date Palm

go to search on top tool bar

have fun :russ:

kakegc
20-02-2008, 07:40 PM
You're not alone Lawn Order ,I think there are a few on this forum with the same problem :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That sounds like a confession??? :i dunno:

kakegc
20-02-2008, 07:42 PM
i mulch them with my peace maker(it loves all palms)
not very often i get spiked

It's normally when the mongrels drop off the tree that you get seriously damaged, not so much when you pick the bastards up! :)

Bgs
20-02-2008, 10:58 PM
It wasn't a date palm but both of my shins brushed past a low hanging cactus last Friday whilst mowing a lawn, It was agony my legs are still covered in painful sores :sad:

just john
27-02-2008, 12:50 PM
That sounds like a confession??? :i dunno:
And it didn't take one of the BIGGEST ones long to reply.I wish the fish will bit that quick on the weekend :laughing: :wave-hi:

kakegc
27-02-2008, 08:00 PM
What is it with you mate? :i dunno: Why are you having ago at me? :i dunno: there again I've read some of your posts & shouldn't be too surprised really! :laughing: "I've never been asked to do a PH test in 3,000 years of lawn mowing (or whatever it was?)" That statement said sooooooooooooooo much about YOU & where YOU sit in the food chain it's not funny! Like I've said before, there's a place for guys at all levels in this industry & I guess you've made my point for me! If you can make a go of it with your outlook mate, then most guys starting out in business should be fine! ;) Now, LETS BE GROWN UPS & MOVE ON! :wave-hi:

lawn order
27-02-2008, 10:01 PM
It ain't a problem at all, but I do notice that every year I am buying more & more powerfull spectacles.
Maybe what my Dad warned me about was right, & I might go blind.

ian
28-02-2008, 04:57 PM
please explain