sorry
australia

i vote for a new public holiday

administrator
13-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Australians have always been SORRY

Today government made it official

Below is Ruddies speach to the Nation on this day 13/02/08

Today we honour the Indigenous peoples of this land, the oldest continuing cultures in human history.

We reflect on their past mistreatment.

We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were stolen generations – this blemished chapter in our nation's history.

The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page in Australia's history by righting the wrongs of the past and so moving forward with confidence to the future.

We apologise for the laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians.

We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.

For the pain, suffering and hurt of these stolen generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry.

To the mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters, for the breaking up of families and communities, we say sorry.

And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry.

We the Parliament of Australia respectfully request that this apology be received in the spirit in which it is offered as part of the healing of the nation.

For the future we take heart; resolving that this new page in the history of our great continent can now be written.

We today take this first step by acknowledging the past and laying claim to a future that embraces all Australians.

A future where this Parliament resolves that the injustices of the past must never, never happen again.

A future where we harness the determination of all Australians, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, to close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity.

A future where we embrace the possibility of new solutions to enduring problems where old approaches have failed.peA future based on mutual respect, mutual resolve and mutual responsibility.

A future where all Australians, whatever their origins, are truly equal partners, with equal opportunities and with an equal stake in shaping the next chapter in the history of this great country, Australia.

haireyscarie
13-02-2008, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=administrator]Australians have always been SORRY QUOTE]

ok then.
if you say so mate

heggie
13-02-2008, 05:25 PM
lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ian
13-02-2008, 06:49 PM
We apologize for giving you interest free loans. We apologize for developing Ayers rock and Kakadu, and handing them over to you so that you get all the money. We apologize for giving you $1.7 billion per year for your 250,000 people, which is $48,000.00 per aboriginal man, woman and child. We apologize for working hard to pay taxes that finance your welfare, medical care, education, etc to the tune of $1.2 billion each year. We apologize for you having to approach the aboriginal affairs department to verify the above figures. For the trouble you will have identifying the “uncle toms” in your own community who are getting richer and leaving some of you living in squalor and poverty. We do apologize. We really do. We humbly beg your forgiveness for all the above sins. We are only too happy to take back all the above and return you to paradise of the whenever you are ready. :)

just john
13-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Looks like our PM Kevin Rudd has cemented his name in history by saying his government is SORRY ,typical egomaniac politician :dean: ;frosty; .Can't recall at last election the people giving him a mandate or agenda to do so

haireyscarie
13-02-2008, 07:17 PM
ian you need to take the pillow case from your head there mate
i think that you need to spend some time walking in there shoes mate
like ffs

ian
13-02-2008, 09:56 PM
dear hairy my wifes great grandfather was an aboriginal making my wife and children aboriginal i also have 2 aboriginal cousins on my mothers side

lawn order
13-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Let me tell you a story.
We bought an old soldier settler block north of the Murray and moved into the
pickers hut/shearers quarters and we were up the duff. Then we moved
into the big house, Fibro basic, long drop outside etc, just before delivery.
A young bloke came looking for a job to get a quid so he could afford to rent a roof for his new missus and soon to be born new kid.
We moved him into the donga we used to live in. – we worked hard.
One day our kids went to school together.
The proudest feeling that I have ever had is when my daughter came home and said.
“Dad I never knew Cedric was a black fellah till we got on the school bus together.”
We all prospered in the good times and pulled our belts in in the tough.

Where I lived was prime real estate – paradise.
The sort of a place that someone would pick if they were first to get there.
Sometimes I wonder why it is that it is only me that has the first pick of paradise
I s it because I can borrow money – or lend money.
I wonder what happened to those people who lived here before me.
If I am prepared to inherit the land title of paradise should I also not recognise from whence it came.
We let some smart arse Y ank come over here and give us bad service for $110m
And take our super from super pits in the ground.
Dessecrate black fellah mecca with gas pipes in the name of selling cheap energy to China.
See how you would go drilling a hole through the pyramids or Sphynx just to save a few dollars on oil delivery costs.
As a Nation we are as rich as we will ever be.
Black Fellahs die about 17 years earlier than you and I white blokes.
I pay Tax.
If I was a Black Fellah, on average I would have been dead 5 years ago.
Take half of my tax,
Give it to those who are denied the extra years that I have.
Ian Moss retires with $100m
$10,000 for 10,000 black fellahs.
Where is the obscenity?
Aghh – stop my tiny mind.

haireyscarie
14-02-2008, 06:27 AM
dear hairy my wifes great grandfather was an aboriginal making my wife and children aboriginal i also have 2 aboriginal cousins on my mothers side
full of sh*t
wife gets $48,000.00
your kids get $48,000.00 each then
2 cousins $48,000.00
wow if what you said before is true.
you family is doing good with all your so call free money then bloke well good on ya.
so you are haveing a spit cause your wife has all your tax

you are full of sh*t ian
redneck

ian
14-02-2008, 04:27 PM
i am glad to see that you did independent research and didn't just let your racist bias point of view interfere with the facts yes i agree i also did not research the figures that i read but the facts are
1] actual aboriginal and torres strait population according to the 2006 census was 455,000 this includes people with as little as 1/32
2] the equity held by atsic and declared in the 2004 bubget was over $1,505,000,000
so while the figures originally had may have been abit out i hardly think this makes me full of s---
and i also apologize because it was my wife's great grandmother not her great grandfather as i said

haireyscarie
14-02-2008, 08:09 PM
mate i dont no were you got me being a racist..
i was fairdinkum
i work with my local aboriginal corporation in my county town on the mid nth coast of N.S.W

Mrs HMS
14-02-2008, 08:33 PM
The sorry has been said, whether you agree, disagree or are indifferent.

Things were done in the past that were in accordance with the policies and theories of the times...so was electric shock therapy and labotomies so it shows how far we've come.

The government of today now needs focus on ways we can help the idigenous community restore some pride so it can heal from within and develop real and viable long term solutions to the many problems that exist. Throwing money at it has not helped...maybe this will.

However I won't hold my breath in the hope that the government will do anything else of value to help solve the problems. (Call me cynical)

lawn order
14-02-2008, 10:18 PM
You know governments won't do a thing till they sense a change in the wind.
They lead from pressure behind.
For a long while Blokes who went to Darwin, WW2, were not classed as rturned Soldiers and were denied war service housing loans, or entry to the RSL.
All they wanted was recognition that they were soldiers and did it for us. No more no less.
Right or wrong the Government picked a blue with the N Vietnamese.
Blokes went and did a bloody fine job and came home to be shat on from a great height.
"Get over it boy, you and your problems and your Kids birth defects are no problem of the government."
And in the cesspool of indifference these lives rot and shrivell.
Along comes someone with guts.
They shake the topor from our selfish souls.
For years we ignor them - but they are possesed and persist.
and then, eventually they turn majority opinion around.
I dips me lid to these true heros.
Mangled soldiers,\abused kids\ beaten wives\asbestos sufferers\
all those that have been treated as arsepaper by the system take solice in the fact that some does care.
We are a big country - big at heart.

" He followed like a bloodhound on their track,
Till they halted cowed and beaten, then he turned their heads for home,
And alone and unassisted brought them back."

ian
14-02-2008, 11:13 PM
fact 3] $1,505,000,000 divided by 455,000 = $3,308 which is nowhere near $48,000
and this proves it is a lot easier to call people names and not resolve anything than it is to research peoples statements and then disprove them with the facts .

ian
14-02-2008, 11:23 PM
and another thing to remember is
Feeling good about government is like looking on the bright side of any catastrophe. When you quit looking on the bright side, the catastrophe is still there.

P. J. O'Rourke , Parliament of Whores (1991)

Mrs HMS
15-02-2008, 06:50 PM
First stolen generations claim launched in Victoria
February 15, 2008 05:18am

TWO days after Kevin Rudd's cashless apology to indigenous Australians, a Victorian man is set to sue his state's government in a stolen generation claim that threatens to open the legal floodgates.

Reservoir man Neville Austin, 44, has announced he will launch the first stolen generation claim against the State of Victoria.

The suit could trigger mass action by Aborigines around Australia and comes amid fresh calls for a state-based compensation fund.

Mr Austin says he was removed from his mother as a five-month-old after he was admitted to the Royal Children's Hospital with a chest infection.

It is believed his solicitors have briefed seasoned barrister Jack Rush, QC, who last year helped extract a $4 billion payout from James Hardie Industries for sufferers of asbestos-related disease.

Kristen Hilton, executive director of Public Interest Clearing House, which has been handling stolen generation claims, would not comment on Mr Austin's case but indicated litigation was under way.

"We see 'sorry', the gesture, as one part of the reparation process," she said.

"It acknowledges a wrong has been done and that wrong requires a remedy. We are investigating what remedy."

A writ has been drawn up but is yet to be filed with the courts.

It does not nominate a sum but stolen generation claimants in other jurisdictions have sought between $350,000 and $525,000.

Mr Austin, who told his story during the 2000 National Sorry Day celebrations, claims he was removed from his parents in 1964.

He says he spent the next 18 years in foster homes or orphanages where he was ostracised because of his skin colour.

He said people would say to him: "You're not different -- drink more milk, scrub harder in the bath".

"I didn't even know what an Aboriginal was until I was 17," he said at the time.

Mr Austin says he has letters from his mother begging for his return. She died nine years after his 1982 release from state care.

In a public letter, he wrote: "Being Aboriginal was the sole reason I was taken away from a mother and family who loved me. It was all done in the name of assimilation, with the ultimate goal of ridding this country of its indigenous people."

Mr Austin's case is similar to Victorian Bruce Trevorrow's. He won $775,000 when a South Australian court ruled his removal caused long-term depression.

Mr Austin would not comment.

His cousin Lyn, who heads Stolen Generations Victoria, has said up to 100 Victorian Aborigines were interested in similar claims.

Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency chief executive Muriel Bamblett said a state compensation fund would address concerns that urban Aborigines' plight was being overlooked.

"There is a real concern in Victoria we are not viewed as Aboriginal or part of the stolen generation process," she said. "A fund would generate a lot of goodwill."

Stolen Generations Alliance spokeswoman Karen Mundine said state-based compensation remained an option: "It's up to the states to decide."

Aboriginal Affairs minister Richard Wynne said the Victorian Parliament had already apologised to the stolen generations."No compensation has flowed from this," said spokesman Ben Ruse. "We support the national apology but our position on compensation has not changed."

WA will set up a fund for those abused in state care, including stolen generations members.

Queensland and NSW have rejected the idea; Tasmania has set aside $5 million for surviving stolen generations members and the children of those who have died.

mowjoman
16-02-2008, 07:57 PM
The sadest part of all this is that with the compensation thats sure to follow, we'll see another group of aboriginal people quite well off financially while the larger percentage sit under trees in the local park passing a silver pillow amongst themselves.....When I worked in Gove (NT) the local aboriginal representives were collecting some $19 million a year from the mining company for which I worked for the lease of their land...Now thats not to mention the numerous permits "White folk" had to buy to step foot on any beach or fish anywhere. Now I agree strongly that we as Aussies should help those less fortunate then us, be they White, black, purple green...whatever and I think most us wouldn't care if all those government $ went to the aboriginal people....ALL ABORIGINAL PEOPLE, in the hope that in generations to follow we can truly live free and equal together. Instead, and I'll use Gove as an example, the representitives live in mansions with cars and helicopters and nice clothes while the MAJORITY are asleep in the gutter (literally) and drifting through a life of which they have no idea could be better. It PIS##ES ME OFF!!!!! :boxer:

grasshopper
23-02-2008, 08:47 AM
f@cken lawyers!!!if there's ever a law that needs to be passed, it's "feel free to shoot the bastards on the spot"!!!
As for the Abo's, they'll continue to drink and beat each other, except now with their new found wealth they might be able to afford a crate of some top shelf piisss.
Believe me I grew up with plenty of them, and throwing money and benfits their way is a waste of time. :mad:

haireyscarie
24-02-2008, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=
As for the Abo's, they'll continue to drink and beat each other, except now with their new found wealth they might be able to afford a crate of some top shelf piisss.
Believe me I grew up with plenty of them, and throwing money and benfits their way is a waste of time. :mad:[/QUOTE]
ffs mate
it narow minded people like you mate
that fuk this country up

grow up ya redneck wanker :dean: :dean: :dean:

ian
24-02-2008, 10:17 AM
and if you say something i don't agree with i won't try to argue with facts to contradict and educate you i will just call you names

m287j
24-02-2008, 10:43 AM
and if you say something i don't agree with i won't try to argue with facts to contradict and educate you i will just call you names

Got to love that response. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

haireyscarie
24-02-2008, 06:29 PM
is that directed at me in any way there ian

Mrs HMS
24-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I have been watching and participating in discussions/debates/arguements about this topic on several other boards. Without exception they have degenerated into a name calling tirade from both sides. I have mostly watched from the sidelines as until just recently I considered myself a true fence-sitter on this. After careful consideration, some on-line research and speaking with people who are in a position to really know and undestand I have the following to contribute.

The Stolen Generation were subject to a so called Government Policy to "protect" them from their cultural heritage. It was done with the purpose of breeding out the blackness, of forcing them to assimilate into white culture because they were inferior, savages, inhuman. We couldn't fathom the way they lived so we set about to eradicate them. The whole lot of them. Let's go in and save them from themselves, make them into decent, good human beings rather than the animals they are now.

Not a lot has changed over the years. There are still people out there that want to eradicate Indigenous Australians, and they know it. They are always going to feel inferior, hard done by while the rest of us continue to label them. One potato is rotten so the whole bag must be too?

How can we expect the current generations of Indigenous Australians to take us seriously, to move on, to get on with their lives when a large percentage of the population still lives and breathes racist thoughts and actions? Then we as adults are passing on these values and personal beliefs to our kids, whether purposely or unconsciously, that's what we are doing. Kids model behaviour, that's their nature.

We are all humans. We are one and the same. We all have our faults. We all have our own beliefs, our own preferred way of living, our own dreams and we all hold the key to our own destiny. We are all a product of our past, but need to take responsibility and claim our own futures. Some of us will do so with pride, honesty and vigour. Some of us will sit and wallow, continue to lay blame, pass the buck and think it's everyone elses responsibility to shape up or make change. We are flawed, we are stubborn, we talk and shout about equality and equity but we don't want to live it.

Change starts with one action. Maybe that action causes a ripple. Maybe the ripple turns to a wave, a flood, a tsunami?? But it has to start somewhere. We are all responsible.

My hopes for the future:

* That my children will mature into empathetic individuals with full knowledge and understanding of the history of their country and that they grow to love and admire all their fellow humans, our similarities to our outright freak-you-out-coz-you-wouldn't-want-to-live-like-that differences. That they will model behaviour that embraces cultural difference and will be leaders among their friends, families and communities for a better future for everyone.

* That the apology was the ripple that eventually turns into the tsunami of change. Change takes time. Maybe we won't see it in our lifetime. But it will never happen if we continue to dig our heels in about stuff.

I don't know what the future holds. I don't know what the solution is. I don't have the answers. I don't know what's the best course of action from here in, or what we need to do for our Indigenous brothers and sisters.

All I know is that if we continue, as a country, to refuse to acknowledge the pain, the suffering, the ongoing mental anguish that the perpetration of the Stolen Generations caused, then we cannot move forward. If we continue to be bitter, as non-Indigenous Australians, regarding the supposed inequities of the extra assistance provided to Indigenous Australians then we cannot move forward. I am not saying that policies and grants and assistance in place yesterday, today or tomorrow is the solution. All I am saying is that we need to continue moving forward, (probably) continue making mistakes, continue making change until hopefully, one day we get it right and a larger majority of the population is living equally in peace and harmony.

Then again, we are humans, we are flawed, many of us are programmed to always look after number 1 first, maybe this is just a pipedream.

I am not of Aboriginal Heritage. I use "our" as a reference to us as a whole. A Human Race, of flesh, blood and sense (although sometimes this is questionable).

haireyscarie
24-02-2008, 06:43 PM
top post Joanne

that was what i was trying to get out of my thick skull(not as well said but)
you have restored my hope for man kind :who-knows

well said
post of the month for you there
Mrs HMS..........

grasshopper
24-02-2008, 06:43 PM
is that directed at me in any way there ian
your not real bright are you mate? :sad:

grasshopper
24-02-2008, 06:49 PM
top post Joanne

that was what i was trying to get out of my thick skull(not as well said but)
you have restored my hope for man kind :who-knows

well said
post of the month for you there
Mrs HMS..........
instead of running your mouth off calling ppl names when they disagree with you ( on arguably the most controversial political decision in our history) and put some thought into a response like Mrs HMS then you may be half way there to restoring your hope in mankind.

Gary
24-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Mrs HMS,

As they say in Canberra - "Here Here"

Islandhead
24-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Well done Mrs.HMS

A very eloquent and thoughtful post on a very controversial subject.

I take my hat off to you :) :) :) :)

mowjoman
24-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Fantastic post Mrs HMS... :clap:

haireyscarie
25-02-2008, 07:55 AM
instead of running your mouth off calling ppl names when they disagree with you ( on arguably the most controversial political decision in our history) and put some thought into a response like Mrs HMS then you may be half way there to restoring your hope in mankind.
look bloke you are the guy that tht use a racist term bye useing the A*O word
not me
and you tell me that i am calling people names
this shows how narrow minded you are
1 vote for you

in The Darwin Awards
http://www.darwinawards.com/ :laughing: :laughing: :russ:

lawn order
25-02-2008, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs HMS]First stolen generations claim launched in Victoria
February 15, 2008 05:18am

It does not nominate a sum but stolen generation claimants in other jurisdictions have sought between $350,000 and $525,000.

Mr Austin, claims--
He says ---
He said ----
he said at the time.

Mr Austin says he has letters

Mr Austin would not comment.

His cousin Lyn, has said ---

Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency chief executive Muriel Bamblett said --
"There is a real concern " she said.
Stolen Generations Alliance spokeswoman Karen Mundine said

Aboriginal Affairs minister Richard Wynne said ----said spokesman Ben Ruse.

Sorry about being non selective in Quoting your quotes.

lawn order
25-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I have been watching and participating in discussions/debates/arguements about this topic on several other boards. Without exception they have degenerated into a name calling tirade from both sides. I have mostly watched from the sidelines as until just recently I considered myself a true fence-sitter on this. After careful consideration, some on-line research and speaking with people who are in a position to really know and undestand I have the following to contribute.

The Stolen Generation were subject to a so called {SO CALLED} Government Policy to "protect" them from their cultural heritage. It was

All I know is that if we continue, as a country, to refuse to acknowledge the pain, the suffering, the ongoing mental anguish that the ------ perpetration ----- of the Stolen Generations s is questionable).

I am troubled with the use of one two word smear {so called}
and the single word "perpetration."
"Prepetrate" -- To perform, execute, or commit
[a crime, deception, etc].
Label me as a pedantic nit-picker - & that you really meant perpetuation - and I will not Label you as Pauline.

cadase
25-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm troubled with the whole thread :confused:

Mrs HMS
25-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Sorry Lawnorder but it's late, I'm tired and a little under the weather so maybe my brain is not operating at full capacity but your point eludes me in relation to the post where you state "sorry about being non selective in quoting your quotes"

At the risk of being labelled Pauline "Please explain?"

I used the word perpetrated deliberately. It is my opinion and I thought it was fairly clear. I did take quite some time writing it and if you consider that what your thing is a possible typing error is the lynch-pin of my post I am afraid I cannot help that.

My post was an opinion only which I like to think I didn't rush to like many I personally know with a knee-jerk condemnation reaction.

As an opinion and expression of my personal hope for the future, you may personally make of it what you wish, I am not arrogant enough to think that mine alone is the only truth.

and as to your comment about Pauline - I suspect that her position on the matter would be polar opposite to mine.

twin_cities_lawncare
27-02-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm sorry to see so much time and energy being expended here on a subject that is not lawn mowing/ forum related. We all have opinions on a variety of subjects, but surely they can be expressed in another more appropiate forum, so as not to get each other fired up here for no valid reason. I'm all for peaceful co-exisitance, wherever possible...

kakegc
27-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Looks like our PM Kevin Rudd has cemented his name in history by saying his government is SORRY ,typical egomaniac politician :dean: ;frosty; .Can't recall at last election the people giving him a mandate or agenda to do so

You must have been in a cave somewhere??? Labor made it very clear that they were gonna say sorry at the earliest opportunity!

mowjoman
27-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Thats it...he certainly did that. In fact the labour party was pushing ol' Jonny to do it for years...

m287j
27-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry to see so much time and energy being expended here on a subject that is not lawn mowing/ forum related. We all have opinions on a variety of subjects, but surely they can be expressed in another more appropiate forum, so as not to get each other fired up here for no valid reason. I'm all for peaceful co-exisitance, wherever possible...

Here Here I agree :)

lawn order
27-02-2008, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=twin_cities_lawncare]I'm sorry to see so much time and energy being expended here on a subject that is not lawn mowing/

I'ts O/K.
Any discussion is fine.
Without being able to express & reply to points of veiw is the same as living in North Korea.
We are a rich and diverse country and we can afford discussion.
If my personal taxes & those of the companies I have invested in are used on Health, Education, Repatriation, and Equalisation, then I live in THE greatest country.
To this end we all agree.
Dialogue just helps to sort priorities.

ian
28-02-2008, 08:47 AM
and dialogue and discussion with out name calling and personal insults would probably be even better

haireyscarie
28-02-2008, 10:15 PM
and dialogue and discussion with out name calling and personal insults would probably be even better

or racist coments

heggie
29-02-2008, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=lawn order] I'm sorry to see so
Without being able to express & reply to points of veiw is the same as living in North Korea.

hey whats wrong with North Korea ;)

ian
29-02-2008, 11:18 PM
i agree even though i do think some people can find racism where ever they look.

ian
29-02-2008, 11:35 PM
[Quote:
Originally Posted by patch
IT SOULD BE BAN EVERY OTHER FLAG]
quote ;[by hairyscarey so true so true
patch] and yes i will say that we should ban other countries flags in parts of australia and i can also say i'm not racist

lawn order
01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=lawn order] I'm sorry to see so

hey whats wrong with North Korea ;)

Did I say North Korea?
I really meant North QLD.
"Thumb screws are a fashion item in Pyongyang"
There is no equivqalent word for fashion or style in FNQ.
Sorry, I forgot about those horrid plastic clogs that they love.

administrator
09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Interesting thread

We can eliminate thread if any one wants us to

as long as majority wants that done no probs

i think its good for people to have strong views well done :frightene

wombat
20-03-2008, 09:00 PM

??? ya kidding :i dunno:

kakegc
21-03-2008, 12:23 AM
You never know who you may be offending by posting abrasive stuff about sensitive issues on a forum like this. For those who may be interested (probably nobody!) my daughter in law is a very lovely Aboriginal girl, that makes 4 of my 5 grand kids half Aboriginal. To those who are so very anti "sorry" please think about that for a while! In times gone by my eldest son's 4 kids would have been forcibly taken from him & their mother just because their dad is a white guy. Gee, that would have made them wonderfully well adjusted members of society, NOT! :wave-hi:

ian
21-03-2008, 01:07 PM
don't you know there is no such thing as a 1/2 aboriginal even if there is only 1/32 of aboriginal blood they can claim to be aboriginal also why would your grand kids have been forcibly removed from your white son unless they were being abused or miss treated as it most certainly was not government policy to remove kids from white parents unless they were considered to be in danger

kakegc
21-03-2008, 02:44 PM
don't you know there is no such thing as a 1/2 aboriginal even if there is only 1/32 of aboriginal blood they can claim to be aboriginal also why would your grand kids have been forcibly removed from your white son unless they were being abused or miss treated as it most certainly was not government policy to remove kids from white parents unless they were considered to be in danger

Come on Ian, I've read your other posts mate, you're a lot smarter than that! ;)

Yep, I agree that some people do tend to get a bit carried away with their being "aboriginal" (a certain red headed Tasmanian activist comes to mind!) but my grand children are half aboriginal. The other half is a bit mongrel though, as my old man is a Welshman of pure Welsh heritage & my mother is your typical run of the mill Anglo Saxon with more races in her pedigree that you could poke a stick at!

It most certainly was government policy to remove all Half caste kids on mass in an effort to "wipe out" the Aboriginal blood in them over a number of generations. But I think you already know that!

haireyscarie
21-03-2008, 03:57 PM
mate you need to do a lot more reading there Ian

ian
21-03-2008, 09:18 PM
so gary are you saying it is/was government policy to remove children from a white parent for no reason at all.and if as you say i need to do more reading please post some references so i can do so rather than just posting throw away lines,trying to imply that i'm ignorant and unread

Mrs HMS
21-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Ian you ask for some references, well here are a few that I looked at when trying to understand exactly what it was we were apologising for...I really had no idea as we didn't exactly teach this sort of history when I was in school and in my little corner of the country there are probably only a handful of indigenous Australians. I also spoke with several indigenous people via my mother-in-law who works extensively with the aboriginal and torres straight islander communities in Queensland.

These references are readily available and not difficult to find. I sought them out thinking that though research comes knowledge, through knowledge comes understanding and that can only be good for this country in the long term.

From the Human Rights and Equal Opporunity Commission...

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/special/rsjproject/rsjlibrary/hreoc/stolen_summary/stolen04.html

I am especially struck by the following items from this page:

1905 Aborigines Act (WA). The Chief Protector is made the legal guardian of every Aboriginal and `half-caste' child under 16. I would not hesitate for one moment to separate any half-caste from its aboriginal mother, no matter how frantic her momentary grief might be at the time. They soon forget their offspring -- Travelling inspector, James Isdell.

1911 Aborigines Act (SA). The Chief Protector is made the legal guardian of every Aboriginal and `half-caste' child under 21 with control over the child's place of residence. The Chief Protector is replaced by the Aborigines Protection Board in 1939. Guardianship power is repealed in 1962. We have been for nearly a century under a Chief Protector. Some of the men who have held that office have acted as `protector' of the Government. -- David Unaipon, 1936.

Northern Territory Aboriginals Ordinance (Cth). The Chief Protector is made the legal guardian of every Aboriginal and `half-caste' child under 18. Any Aboriginal person can be forced into a mission or settlement and children can be removed at will. These powers are repealed in 1957.

Children are removed from the evil influence of the aboriginal camp with its lack of moral training and its risk of serious organic infectious disease. They are properly fed, clothed and educated as white children, they are subjected to constant medical supervision and in receipt of domestic and vocational training -- Chief Protector Cook.

1937 First Commonwealth-State conference on `native welfare' adopts `assimilation' as the national policy: `the destiny of the natives of aboriginal origin, but not of the full blood, lies in their ultimate absorption ... with a view to their taking their place in the white community on an equal footing with the whites.'

http://www.eniar.org/news/manne.html

In an official memorandum of May 25 1933, for example, the Secretary of the Department of the Interior, J. A. Carrodus, wrote thus: "The policy of the government is to encourage the marriage of half-castes with whites or half-castes, the object being to `breed out' the color as far as possible."

and...

From the Reconciliation and Social Justice Library

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/special/rsjproject/rsjlibrary/hreoc/stolen/stolen08.html

an interesting article from the Sydney Morning Herald -

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/sorry-says-the-man-who-took-children/2008/02/08/1202234167169.html

ian
22-03-2008, 09:43 AM
i to have read a few of these articles and they do not address my request to gary re references to the forced removal of children from a white parent when there was not a belief that the children were at risk in one form or another yes it may have been policy to remove children from an aboriginal parent but in all the case's i have heard of this did not involve a white parent being married to and living with the aboriginal unless there was reason to believe the child was in danger. also note that in that time in history it was policy to try to remove children for there own protection from single parents of all races but i don't see anyone saying sorry for this happening and i think the underlying racism of this is abhorrent

Mrs HMS
22-03-2008, 11:03 AM
No I suppose they don't directly show this, I did find some more interesting information by following the related links from these various pages also.

However lets consider the Acts of Parliament that automatically made the "Chief Protector" the legal guardian of ALL aboriginal and half-caste children. How would each of us feel if by an act of Parliament we were no longer considered the legal guardian of our own children irregardless of our parenting abilities or whether or not our children were "in danger". It scares the hell out of me to think that these Acts were left to individuals to enforce and considering the times, there was such overwhelming racism. Aboriginal people weren't even counted in the census - which makes me believe they weren't considered worth counting in the population.

And lets not forget that the phrase "in danger" was so broad that it could be taken to mean not only physical but also spiritual or moral danger, children were removed for reasons as simple as not being raised as Christians.

I read Gary's post as that in times gone by his grandchildren could have been forcibly removed. The Acts of parliament certainly gave the chief protector that right (without appeal). What would have happened should the relationship between Gary's daughter-in-law and son broke down? Would they have married in the first place considering the social attitude to inter-racial unions at that point in history?

I spoke to a woman of indigenous heritage who works with my mother-in-law. Her mother was forcibly removed from her parents at the age of 2. This was a mixed race couple who were very much together in a safe and loving family, there was no reason to remove the child. Her father was a drover and the child was removed whilst he was away from the family home. He returned to find his child gone and his wife had committed suicide. He only knew what had happened when the other aboriginals in the community told him. He never regained custody of his child. The child grew up in a children's home and I ask how that is better that a loving family.

Yes white children were forcibly removed from single mothers as well, my own husband was one of them and he has found his biological mother and the very tragic story has been told. Yes she in particular would also like an apology for the hurt and anguish that lasts a lifetime but that does not detract from the need for an apology for the stolen generation.

Islandhead
22-03-2008, 11:47 AM
also note that in that time in history it was policy to try to remove children for there own protection from single parents of all races but i don't see anyone saying sorry for this happening and i think the underlying racism of this is abhorrent

I don't see how prejudice against single parents is classed as racism but i'm probably being pedantic...

The history of policies of the human race should be one big apology. The policy of the people (read government) is just what they feel right at the time. Wether they are driven by what they truly believe is for the good of the people or some warped sense of power I truly cannot say.

It was once right for them to lock up people who masturbated. Even chopping hands off repeat offenders (thankfully that's an old one :laughing: )

It was once right for them to obtain secret files on suspected communists and commence witch hunts on them as they 'threatened our values'

It was once right to jail homo***uals (and unfortunately still is in some countries) because of what they practised.

It was once right to take away aboriginal children from their parents for their own 'protection'.

At the moment it is right to lock up 'suspected' terrorists without trial and complete disregard of their rights for the protection of 'the people'

These are just a few examples of humanity that I am 'sorry' for....

And rather despondantly I just know that throughout the future there will be a lot more...

Sad but true

administrator
22-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Islandhead that is so tue in the future this will happen more and more people say they learn from there mistakes and maybe we do but when people start to fear someting humanity flies out the window.

The future is to be watched carefully so the present doesnt become the past that destroys the future .

Mrs HMS
22-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Very true Islandhead. History is full of examples of prejudice and persecution of those that are labelled as "different" from what is the norm of the times and yes we are repeating this still today.

What will humans need to apologise for in another 100 years time I wonder. Seems the lessons of the past have to a certain extent not influenced the policies of recent governments the world over.

Let us hope that governments and societies in the future can learn to be more accepting and tolerant of differences whether they be racial, religious or lifestyle.

haireyscarie
23-03-2008, 08:12 AM
so gary are you saying it is/was government policy to remove children from a white parent for no reason at all.and if as you say i need to do more reading please post some references so i can do so rather than just posting throw away lines,trying to imply that i'm ignorant and unread

no i am not

and yes you are ignorant

all this started bye you sad arse coment at the start

wombat
23-03-2008, 10:40 AM
It was once right for them to lock up people who masturbated. Even chopping hands off repeat offenders (thankfully that's an old one :laughing: )

how did they catch them, I mean if ya knew u were going to get your hand chopped off, surely you wouldn't stand in the middle of the town square beating off furiously!! :russ: :laughing: :laughing:

great post by the way islandhead. :)

Islandhead
23-03-2008, 10:45 AM
how did they catch them, I mean if ya knew u were going to get your hand chopped off, surely you wouldn't stand in the middle of the town square beating off furiously!! :russ: :laughing: :laughing:

Trying to reply... but too many tears in my eyes from laughing

Great reply, niced to have a bit of laughter in the forum :wave-hi:

ian
23-03-2008, 11:53 PM
joanne excellent post and gary i see you still think it's better and more productive in a debate to call people names than to try to use facts to sway their apparent opinions

haireyscarie
24-03-2008, 12:57 AM
joanne excellent post and gary i see you still think it's better and more productive in a debate to call people names than to try to use facts to sway their apparent opinions
the fact is you have no idear
no name's ian

as you have said in 2 post before this
quoate from ian
my request to gary re references to the forced removal of children from a white parent when there was not a belief that the children were at risk in one form or another

i never said this ian you did
so back your own word's up there ian

what i started with this post was on a good note till your racist coments in your 1st post..
i am not a racist

my coments were all in fairness
to what you said....

so ian if ya have anything to add please pm me ok

ian
24-03-2008, 10:54 AM
gary you say your not a racist but you did call me a redneck [a poor white person without education, especially one living in the countryside in the southern US,] and this was used in the context of an insult and i believe the dictionary definition of racism is discrimination or abuse based on race, whether this is directed at a minority or a majority it is still racism also you seem to be the only one directing insults at anyone

ian
24-03-2008, 11:28 AM
gary why would i want to pm you i haven't had this much fun since nev's [ian needs to get a life ] posts which i believe the admin deleted for some reason.but you might like to take note of some of my favourite quotes
[never let the facts get in the way if a good story or debate
][A single fact can spoil a good argument.]
[Get your facts first and then you can distort them as much as you wish.[Mark Twain]
[I am not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, nor do I feel that they must live up to mine]
[The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances; if there is any reaction, both are transformed.[ Jung]
and most importantly
[I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.[ Marshall McLuhan]
to which i would add that i will fight for my right to say it and for your right to agree or disagree

haireyscarie
24-03-2008, 11:31 AM
gary you say your not a racist but you did call me a redneck [a poor white person without education, especially one living in the countryside in the southern US,] and this was used in the context of an insult and i believe the dictionary definition of racism is discrimination or abuse based on race, whether this is directed at a minority or a majority it is still racism also you seem to be the only one directing insults at anyone
LMFAO
you want a hug there mate

haireyscarie
24-03-2008, 11:36 AM
gary why would i want to pm you i haven't had this much fun since nev's [ian needs to get a life ] posts which i believe the admin deleted for some reason.but you might like to take note of some of my favourite quotes
[never let the facts get in the way if a good story or debate
][A single fact can spoil a good argument.]
[Get your facts first and then you can distort them as much as you wish.[Mark Twain]
[I am not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, nor do I feel that they must live up to mine]
[The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances; if there is any reaction, both are transformed.[ Jung]
and most importantly
[I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.[ Marshall McLuhan]
to which i would add that i will fight for my right to say it and for your right to agree or disagree

ok
this is your idear of fun

to try and turn YOUR racist comments ..
around to make out you said nothing wrong

you have made my day again.
lmfao

ian
24-03-2008, 12:05 PM
i forgot this one i always keep forgetting it
[It is better to keep quiet and let people assume you are foolish than to open your mouth and confirm it ] it's probably the one i should remember but then if i did life would be so much less interesting

haireyscarie
24-03-2008, 12:14 PM
i like this 1

supreme being or at least the type of person everyone else would like to be

as if

ian
24-03-2008, 12:31 PM
i like that one as well but i prefer this one

Mrs HMS
24-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Can I interrupt this (not so) good-natured banter?

Just my observation but I don't think Ian is a racist but I do think he likes a good debate (and I don't mean the sort of "debate" that involved the risk of having your hands chopped off :p ), in fact I think he like a good debate so much that he enjoys playing "devils advocate" to some extent? Any debating team has at least one of these.

I was on the debating team in secondary school (yes I was a complete Poindexter :laughing:) our debating coach always said that debate is good for the psyche, good for the mind and good for society. She told us that debate is the only true way to appreciate the other side of any arguement.

wombat
24-03-2008, 07:37 PM
this reminds me a bit of the time i asked a guy on another forum if he was a niger lover

Oh holy shiitt !!!...I'm not even gunna touch that one!!! :ebony:

ian
24-03-2008, 10:02 PM
check the spelling then think about it. actualy i realy can't be bothered so i will explain his reply to me was yes he was a niger lover but it would probably be better put in english as a lover of niger the west african nation which is a former french colony there were a few interesting replies before his .and for your information the other one is spelt with 2 g's ps this also only appears this way when written as it is pronounced differently as it is from the french not the american

Islandhead
24-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I didn't need to check the spelling as I already knew the niger was a country in africa and also a rather beautiful river that part of it flows through said country.

Still don't understand why you would try and incite the sort of reaction you knew you would get,

What does it really achieve? Could you please explain

haireyscarie
25-03-2008, 12:06 AM
trying to bait me up

nice try but

kakegc
25-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Still don't understand why you would try and incite the sort of reaction you knew you would get,

What does it really achieve? Could you please explain

Mate, its what he does! read his posts, they're nearly all like that. He doesn't only do it here either, he does it on more than one other lawn forum as well. Shame really as he obviously has a lot to give! :ebony:

Sometimes otherwise intelligent people choose to stir things up a bit. Unfortunate really, as that can make really smart people appear to be smart arses! :aus-flag:

administrator
25-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen a tip

This message is to any member of this community :who-knows

As administrators we are very liberal in our thinking personal attacks in any form will not be tolerated on this forum we suggest that anyone wants to carry on in this way is fine but not on this business chat forum take it to another forum or just email each other. ;)

Some posts have been removed form this thread :rolleyes:

haireyscarie
27-03-2008, 06:59 PM
no prob admin
will take that onboard

mowjoman
30-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Boy...You dont waste any time Woadin :confused:

Sandgroper
30-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I am sorry the aboriginals have to live in squalid conditions, with busted doors and windows smashed out in some cases, who is the contractor that supplied them with these houses ? some are only a couple of years old, my house is 12 years old and in perfect condition, they should build them new dwellings i am sure they will take very good care of them.

ian
30-03-2008, 10:09 PM
but if your living in the tropics with no power to run air conditioners would you want doors and windows to keep the cooling winds out and the heat in

Sandgroper
30-03-2008, 10:18 PM
No i suppose i would not. :)

ian
30-03-2008, 10:39 PM
and i just want to say hi walter your covers blown

lawn order
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Last word!
Us white blokes are supreme. – Check it out.
How well did we get it on?
Who are you more scared of?
Hommos erectus Vs Neanderthal
Quakers Vs American Indians
Spaniards Vs Incas
Any European Nation Vs any African State
English convicts Vs Black fellahs.
Americans Vs any oil rich state
Strong Vs Meek
Man Vs woman –and - by proxy our own children
Compassionfruit is a sooks diet!
We are real men, let the feeble fall by the wayside.
I will say no more on this thread.

Islandhead
04-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Last word!
Us white blokes are supreme. – Check it out.
How well did we get it on?
Who are you more scared of?
Hommos erectus Vs Neanderthal
Quakers Vs American Indians
Spaniards Vs Incas
Any European Nation Vs any African State
English convicts Vs Black fellahs.
Americans Vs any oil rich state
Strong Vs Meek
Man Vs woman –and - by proxy our own children
Compassionfruit is a sooks diet!
We are real men, let the feeble fall by the wayside.
I will say no more on this thread.

Just to correct you on a minor detail, but a major point on your argument.

Homo erectus didnt displace Neanderthal man. It was actually Homo sapiens that displaced them, mainly through more successful reproduction and competition for resources... (nothing to do with the colour of their skin)

And I have to laugh, as it is a generally accepted fact that we are all descended from these original Homo sapiens that originated from AFRICA around 200,000 BC... that most people who say 'white blokes are supreme' seem to conveniently forget! :laughing: :laughing:

lawn order
04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=Islandhead]Just to correct you on a minor detail, but a major point on your argument.
Homo erectus didnt displace Neanderthal man. It was actually Homo sapiens that displaced them.
Yeah but how can you argue with the fact that to be replaced first you must be moved.
Homo limpusdickus never moved Mrs Neanderthal.
For her to want to be supine it had to take Homo erectus.
You can belt a cavewoman over the head as much as you like,
but for true love you need a decent club - not a balsa wood imitation.
By the by - minor detail.
You forgot the upside down spermy looking thing in didn't.
And - but - the world has only been going for 5000 years.
It started in Queensland and you could only buy white shoes, and real Estate. And Joh & Flo were the first people, and Vote Joh for Canberra, and Johnny was stonkered.
But then Flo ate a pumkin scone out of the garden with seeds in.
Don"""t tell me I don""""""t know me history Mr Smarty Pants

Islandhead
04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
??????????

Mrs HMS
05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sandgroper
05-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Thats true, i think :i dunno: :laughing:

ian
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
lawn order so i see in post 86 you have told a lie

ian
05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
also woadin perhaps you should try reading and then try to understand the posts before replying i refer to post no.78 also as i have stated many times before on this thread instead of name calling please post references to refute whatever it is that you are calling [dribbling useless obviously uninformed verbal diarrhea] as i love to learn but i find it much easier to learn through the display of facts than purely through insults.i will admit though that i have observed facts can take some intelligence to find and insults usually show a sign of either low intellect or laziness or both

lawn order
05-04-2008, 10:07 PM
lawn order so i see in post 86 you have told a lie
A Fib is a lie but a non-core promise isn't.
So there - Nyarr Nyarr na Nyarr nyarr - thrrrrrpphpp.

Islandhead
05-04-2008, 10:17 PM
A Fib is a lie but a non-core promise isn't.
So there - Nyarr Nyarr na Nyarr nyarr - thrrrrrpphpp.

Hmmm... How old are you, like... nine??

Anyhow... What exactly was this non-core promise of yours?

(By the way a non-core promise is actually defined as a lie, all be it normally a political one)

ian
05-04-2008, 10:18 PM
and isn't it amazing how a promise is never a non core promise until it is broken. but then again when was a government ever elected that said we are going to line our pockets as much as we can and tax you more to pay for it

ian
06-04-2008, 10:06 AM
lawn orders non core promise in post no.86 was
[I will say no more on this thread.]

Islandhead
06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
lawn orders non core promise in post no.86 was
[I will say no more on this thread.]

That's a shame, because after the white supremesist rant I was hoping that WOULD be the last thing we heard him say about it!

ian
06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
just noticed one of my other posts was deleted on another thread so will try on here
why are there no racist white jokes
answer 1: it's bad enough being white with out joking about it
answer 2: you shouldn't joke about those less fortunate than yourself

haireyscarie
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
you cant help your self can you ian

ian
06-04-2008, 11:24 AM
gary thats unfortunately true i love to try and get people thinking and don't particularly care which side of an argument i'm on and am happy to change apparent sides as i don't believe there is a right or a wrong side in any argument .

Islandhead
06-04-2008, 11:30 AM
gary thats unfortunately true i love to try and get people thinking and don't particularly care which side of an argument i'm on and am happy to change apparent sides as i don't believe there is a right or a wrong side in any argument .

I kind of understand where you are coming from Ian. I've played devils advocate a few times with friends to extract my friends opinions on certain subjects.

But you seem to do it a lot on this forum, and as I have said before (in relation to the river niger debacle) you seem to try and 'incite' a response... not sure if that is the same as getting people to think.

And what about your own opionions/ethics? Are they as easily interchangeable just to spark debate?

Without a mans own ethics, what is that man?

ian
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
i believe all issues are complex and have many different aspects to them depending on how they are looked at i hope my opinions and beliefs are all ways able to be changed by an intelligent and thought out presentation of facts and that is all i have asked for on this thread unfortunately all i seem to be able to get is personal insults except from joanne who for some reason best known to herself seems determined to spoil my fun by posting facts

Islandhead
06-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Hmmm... so on one hand you believe that these facts if thought out and presented in a way that doesn't offend you can change your opinion... so far so good.

Then you accuse Joanne (who I might add has posted some brilliant posts) of spoiling your 'fun' by posting these facts in a thought out and well presented way?

ian
06-04-2008, 06:18 PM
now your getting the gist of it and i see admin has been busy again so i will go again just noticed one of my other posts was deleted on another thread so will try on here

Islandhead
06-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I'll try not to go into name calling... here we go.

The gist that I am getting is that you seem to enjoy winding people up for reasons only known to yourself. I personally don't see that as promotong healthy deabate.

The admins are there for a reason. I'm all for freedom of speech but with that comes responsibilty. If an admin deletes your post do you consider there may be a reason? Rather than just keep blindly reposting the deleted post why don't you ask the admins why it was deleted?

You seem to incur the wrath of people on this forum quite a lot (and if a few recent posts are to be believed on other forums too)... I wonder why? Because you are so witty? Because you can look up random quotes from famous and intelligent people on the interent? Because you think you have something to say? Because as you seem to believe it is your right?

Who knows sir, who knows?

haireyscarie
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
now your getting the gist of it and i see admin has been busy again so i will go again just noticed one of my other posts was deleted on another thread so will try on here
then y do you keep putting it back up then

ian
06-04-2008, 09:56 PM
for the same reason man went to the moon [ because he could ] but having reread the posts from start to finish and seeing how many posts appear to have disappeared making it easy for others to get taken out of context i think this is probably a waste of time

mowjoman
06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I'll try not to go into name calling... here we go.

The gist that I am getting is that you seem to enjoy winding people up for reasons only known to yourself. I personally don't see that as promotong healthy deabate.

The admins are there for a reason. I'm all for freedom of speech but with that comes responsibilty. If an admin deletes your post do you consider there may be a reason? Rather than just keep blindly reposting the deleted post why don't you ask the admins why it was deleted?

You seem to incur the wrath of people on this forum quite a lot (and if a few recent posts are to be believed on other forums too)... I wonder why? Because you are so witty? Because you can look up random quotes from famous and intelligent people on the interent? Because you think you have something to say? Because as you seem to believe it is your right?

Who knows sir, who knows?

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :russ:
Very very well said Islandhead.
Blah blah blah Ian.
Getting sick of seeing this thread with new posts each day only to read the same ol' dribble. Ya like a dog with a bone mate!! Bury the fu#@$ng thing and leave it buried.

lawn order
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM

Default Re: sorry
for the same reason man went to the moon [ because he could ]

No no no
He went because he was told it couldn't be done.
A bit like love on this thread.
I am blind.
I cannot tell the difference from Mistaken & / or pisstaken!
We are all decent blokes/nonblokes.
I love the advice.
We all derive and support from each other.
Let us only be a positively supportive force.
Except!!
How great is it that Gun loving Heston died?
Just one more distraction for you to contemplate and take your mind off uselessly productive thoughts.

haireyscarie
12-07-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.sbs.com.au/blogarticle/108055/a-northern-town
this was on last night .
did any 1 see it..
and if so what did you think..

haireyscarie
13-02-2009, 03:58 PM
well it is 12 mths on and
Rudd speaks about apology one year on
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/751474/rudd-urges-action-to-help-aborigines :)
http://www.koorimail.com/sorry/sorry.html (http://http://www.koorimail.com/sorry/sorry.html)

Countrymile
14-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Beautiful picture Scarie, Sorry and Thanks! Love it. Feeling real proud to be an Aussie in so many ways at the moment..... :aus-flag: