PDA

View Full Version : Discounts for lawnies?

holdenhead
15-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi all,

I have been using the same mower shop for the last 2 years and they used to look after me but since this guy I used to deal with left a couple of weeks ago no more discounts. The owner who is german or something doesn't think I am entitled to a cheaper rate than everyone else. I am in the market for a ride on at the moment and he says I'll give you a good price and tells me $5860 for the cr17.032d Cox. He tryed to get a deposit out of me straight away but I left to do some homework. I rang a few other cox dealers and found this was full retail. I called a mate who is in sales for a major retailer as he has connections. He calls me back a few hours later with the cost price. (big profit although he told me he only makes a couple of hundred) So I head back to my mower shop and tell the boss I think it's only fair that I pay cost + 5% as I spend quite a bit of money at this 1 shop. I have not had an anwser yet but he rang me this arvo to tell me to meet him tomorrow morning. If he had shaved $500 off the price at the start I would not have gone and done any research. If he doesn't come to the party I will go elsewhere.

My question is how much does your mower shop look after you??

Cheers Rick

ian
16-02-2008, 12:00 AM
i remember after having brought 2 mowers a blower and a chainsaw of a dealer over a period of about 12 months i had to take a mower back 1st lawn the new reinforced honda axle broke they replaced it under warranty but about a week later i noticed it was loose some of the bolts had dropped out took it back and he charged me for the bolts so i started looking for another dealer and found my current one who was about 20% cheaper on parts and repairs so if this guy won't look after you look around i'm sure it will be his lose

ian
16-02-2008, 12:02 AM
and to actually answer your question i can expect to get between 5 and 20% off the shelf price

twin_cities_lawncare
16-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Like with anything else, it pays to shop around if you want to save ca$h. One of our suppliers gives us 5% trade discount on all goods and services; another supplier is usually better overall on the cost of bigger items, so can beat the 5% discount from the other supplier...
It pays to have a few suppliers at times, so you can have extra bargaining power/ backup if one can't provide what you're after. So long as you prove to be a good customer (pay your bills on time, etc) you should get treated well in return...

just john
16-02-2008, 06:56 AM
M y mower man was great about 12 years I used him for ,good discounts on all items so I had no need to go anywhere else, but he has moved on to bigger and better things as a lawnie himself .He has assured me the new owner will treat me well but it's just not the same :sad: :who-knows no more xmas drinks or chit-chat I hope everything goes well DAJ :wave-hi:

kakegc
16-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Lets not forget that these guys are in business too! ;) Most of them have a large number of lawnies that buy off them & get their gear serviced/fixed by them, plus they get a few mums & dads thru the door. Sure, it's great to get a discount for being a loyal customer, but on the bigger items is where these guys make their living. What I've found is that if I go to the biggest mower shop we have here I can get a pretty good discount off of RRP, BUT any home owner walking off the street gets the SAME discount as me! :( (really cheeses me off!) They make their money from high turnover! EVEN BIGGER BUT; if try & get your gear serviced or fixed there you'll be without it for 10 days or more, no matter who you are! :( Alternately, if I buy my gear from a smaller family business closer to home I'll have to pay about $50-$100 more for most bits of equipment BUT they throw in a $100 voucher to buy gear at their shop AND when my gear breaks down, THEY DROP EVERYTHING & fix it on the spot! They have no issues with lawnies in their workshop talking to the guy who's fixing your gear whilst he's doing it AND their price to fix stuff is the best in town. :ebony: For me, the benefits of paying a few extra bucks for such great service is more than worth it! ;) :aus-flag:

DAJ
16-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks John .The lawns have started to trickle in.When i had the shop I looked after the contractors with good discounts on everything and the fastest repair time possible.If you cant get less 10% on machines and at least that on spares then the shop is not realy trying for your business.

However the customers that got the real red carpet treatment were the truly loyal ones,not the ones that would book in a mower recently bought elsewhere or say that they can buy blades 10 cents cheaper down the road.
Its all about support for support.

Thanks again for yours John :wave-hi:

ian
16-02-2008, 03:08 PM
i think would spend on average about $1200-$1500 or more per year with my dealer the average mum & dad would probably not spend that in 10 years so i think i deserve to get better service . the same applies in my business i will always look after the regulars before doing a 1 off

NLALM
16-02-2008, 04:10 PM
My suppliers name is Dean unbeatable prices and great service and stuff gets delivered to my door even mowers . I think his phone number is around here somwhere. I only go into a mower shop if have to.

bb1
16-02-2008, 04:41 PM
i think would spend on average about $1200-$1500 or more per year with my dealer the average mum & dad would probably not spend that in 10 years so i think i deserve to get better service . the same applies in my business i will always look after the regulars before doing a 1 off

Fully agree, I know that I have spent nearly $3000 at my supplier in the last 18 months, yet I still only get the same discount as anyone else walking of the street, and the same CR$% service, but becuase of location I don't have a lot of choice.

ian
16-02-2008, 05:38 PM
i use mike at mt waverley mower power and find him very good and it might not be that far for you

geoff
16-02-2008, 06:52 PM
mowerpower noble park...a great service and great discount , these guys dont make a lot out of sales sometimes only 40 to 60 bucks for a 500 dollar item , there money is in service and repairs , my guy show me the wholesale price and adds his small amount , you must remember they provide a free service after purchase and put the thing together , go to bunnings and you get the thing in a box so u have to make it work

holdenhead
16-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful info.
The service at this mower shop is shot as well since the guy I used to deal with left. It is a sthil dealer and I brought my whipper sniper from them and 2 weeks ago the throttle cable broke. As it's only a couple of months old I took it in on a friday arvo and they told me to pick it up on monday. I went back monday to be told Tuesday then thursday as they didn't have any cables in stock and finally got it back the following friday. (The old honda umk24 got a wake up call being brought out of retirement) Then Monday this week I went to get an air filter for the honda and none of them in stock????? This is quite a large shop to on the sth gippy in cranbourne.

Anyway I went back today to see the boss and he says he'll do the mower for 2% off retail. This is the 2% he gets from selling flexirent.
So no discount what so ever. This is a $5800 mower and he says he cant even drop a couple of hundred off. (He makes alot more than a $1000 on this mower.) I know he's got a buisness to run to but That's a bit tight. Any way I'm off to see another dealer. It was just around the corner too.

Cheers Rick

geoff
17-02-2008, 09:58 AM
know that place well holdenhead , same experience only worse for me several years ago.... burnt me good