PDA

View Full Version : SMS messaging and Internet payments

merryfield
13-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Hi all. Not sure if this is done widely, but one way I have found useful in communication with customers is using SMS messaging. There's a program called Voipraider ( http://www.voipraider.com/en/index.html ) that you can set up on your computer, and you can send SMS messages to mobiles from your PC for around 5 cents each.
I mainly use it a to let certain customers know that I am coming the next day, and I also use it as a reminder for payment for those people who prefer to pay via the internet.
The more options people have for payment the better.
I get more payments for mowing and other services via the internet than any other method.
I have even put a page on my website that has our bank details clearly listed for online payments. That way I can just tell people our website name, and suddenly they have all the info for online payments.

Islandhead
13-03-2008, 12:31 PM
I use SMS a lot for contacting customers too... very handy. I have plenty of texts included on my mobile plan so works out very cheap for me.

Merryfield, I'd be a bit worried to put my bank details online, I hope you have a secure site that has been passworded at the very least.

merryfield
13-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi, I don't put anything but my BSB number and account number on our website. That's all people need to pay into our business account. They can't access our account without knowing our password, and I would certainly never put our password on public display.

Islandhead
13-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Unfortunatley that's all you need if you are trying to steal money, just ask Jeremy Clarkson.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm

In todays world of internet fraud and identity theft I would advise being extra careful. Before lawn mowing I was in the IT industry and have to say there is no way I would publish my bank details online.

merryfield
13-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Interesting article... thanks for that info... going to take the bank details off the website.

Islandhead
14-03-2008, 03:01 PM
No worries. Sorry to be all doom & gloom... but I'd rather that than some bugger steals some of your hard earned wedge :)

administrator
19-07-2008, 11:10 AM
anybody else signed up :wave-hi: