PDA

View Full Version : Echo Brushcutter Alloy head

Mrs HMS
22-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone replaced the stupid plastic bump-feed head on their brushcutter with an Alloy one?

We've just gone through the second bump-feed head in 4 months and I noticed that Indy has 3 alloy heads for $55. Is anyone using these and how long do they last?

I assume if you install the alloy head you lose the bump-feed. Does anyone find that it slows you down too much having to extend the cord the ole fashioned way?

Appreciate any and all comments.

Cheers

m287j
22-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I bought my Echo brushcutter off Dean and he recommended an alloy head straight up.

Personally i prefer the alloy heads, easy to fit, and it doesn't take long to extend the line. Takes a few minutes to replace the line though.

I find the alloy heads last me 3 to 6 months.

kakegc
23-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I've tried one & after day 1 it went into the shed & that's where it's stayed! OK if you've got plenty of time up your sleeve, or don't have to edge around those horrible rough edged retaining wall bricks, or pavers, or moss rocks, but no good if you've got a lot of lawns to do everyday. I use a Stihl bump feed & the spool lasts me 6-8 months when we've got grass to cut (probably get over 2 years out of the current one lol!) The whole head needs replacing every couple of years & they're about $50.00 each. The spools cost about $12.00 each with line already on them, but my friends or family get the line as I don't use the Stihl stuff, its too weak. They'll fit the Echo. :Rain:

mongoose
24-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Iv'e been using bump feed heads for the last year or two , but i have trouble getting the same ones . I bought a new one last week and i mowed about 5-6 lawn and self destructed i think it was a GH brand Assie made peice of cr-p . So i end up putting a alloy head on that i had under the house , nice and reliable but it is slower so i don't now if i will leave it on or not. I mite have to have look at one of those Stihl heads . I must admit you get dame used to just tapping it on the ground with no down time putting to the next slot to leanthen the cord .

geoff
24-03-2008, 03:07 PM
shindaiwa have a great bump feed head lasts 12 months plus and then you only have tp replace one half...50 bucks to buy and to change the chord takes 20 secs , only have to thread the cord through the eyelets and twist to reel in..no undoing any parts..the only proble you have to have shindaiwa brand...i think
has a heavy duty flat bottom as well so you can achieve a low cut

haireyscarie
24-03-2008, 03:50 PM
i have the shindaiwa speed feed to
5 mts of cord it holds
i hade my 1 for 18 mths
been through 3 base plates and a new set of eyes

mongoose
24-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Yep thats the one iv'e been using before the cheapy .Thanks now i can get a new bottom section [just googled it ] . This is the best bump feed i have used .

wombat
25-03-2008, 10:23 PM
started with the bump feed ( shindaiaw) smacked a cpl up going through bamboo and crap, got talked into the alloys. They both have their advantages i think. The bump feed keeps you rolling along, but sometimes on big jobs I find having to stop to slot the alloy gives the machine a bit of a breather ( not to mention the operator ! :russ: )

Sandgroper
25-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I got rid of bump feeds a long time ago,,went mainly with twist and turn heads, i have always heard great things about the shindy speed heads,,,,,my latest is the Auto feed on my new Stihl,,goes o.k but can give you a shock when it runs out,,,must buy another to keep in my pocket and fully spool it.

administrator
26-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Tanaka Heads alloy Heads
non genuine 3 for 45
genuine 3 for 55 :wave-hi:

bb1
26-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Tanaka Heads alloy Heads
non genuine 3 for 45
genuine 3 for 55 :wave-hi:

Do they fit the Honda

mowjoman
26-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Or Kawasaki?? :wave-hi:

administrator
26-03-2008, 03:39 PM
yes instaed of a blade for example youre fitting a alloy head some machines need a extra washer but not hard to figure out

gjs
27-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I was not impressed with the Tanaka head
I was constantly throwing line out off head when snipping long stuff
Constantly stopping to thread line out
I bought 3, one flew to pieces nearly decapetated my off sider
Still have one brand new, the other my offsider was using I threw in the bin, did not want to risk injury to baby in pram etc.I went back to bump and feed cost $27 but the time and the cord it saves is well worth in my opinion, that was three years ago will not go back
to alloy.

cheers
Garry

gjs
27-03-2008, 08:56 PM
hi Kakegc

Where are you getting your spools for $12 for the stihl?
I have found it is about the same the price for the complete unit
as it is the spool.

Cheers
Garry

just john
27-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Everytime I purchase a brushcutter I always replace the head with a alloy one find it much easier to carry around lenghs of line in the pocket and when need to replace just pop another one on ,only takes seconds (a little wastage ) but find the eyelets very flexible and dont snap off in this area plus head nice and flat to ground which makes cutting grass easy :wave-hi:

lawn order
27-03-2008, 10:13 PM
With an atom edger for edging, that only leaves the rocks and under trees to trim.
Also good in the drought for pseudo lawn mowing of yellow daisy heads and other hairy crrapp.You can skid them closer to the ground than a dogsarse with blocked anal glands.
I have found that the light weight of an alloy lets my gear spin quicker & with more ease. Also no more accidental increases in length - a handy embarrassment avoider when trimming Mrs Pamela Anderson's bush.

Mrs HMS
09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Appreciate the opinions. Think we'll try the alloy head for a while and see how it goes.

worzel
19-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone replaced the stupid plastic bump-feed head on their brushcutter with an Alloy one?

We've just gone through the second bump-feed head in 4 months and I noticed that Indy has 3 alloy heads for $55. Is anyone using these and how long do they last?

I assume if you install the alloy head you lose the bump-feed. Does anyone find that it slows you down too much having to extend the cord the ole fashioned way?

Appreciate any and all comments.

Cheers

Hi Joanne
I have found bump feeds absolutely useless.
Over here in NZ most of the feeds (in Auckland ) are manual feeds.(as far as I know)
Speed feeds chew out too much line.
My latest purchase has been a 34cc Tanaka which came with a Tanaka alloy head.(useless)
The heads which you have to add 300mm of line every time in my opinion is a waste of money.
I am always trying to find ways to reduce my expenses.
The alloy heads which Dean are selling are good as I have tried similar types over the years.
What I use now is a plastic twist and turn as someone else here has mentioned.Instead of replacing the whole head I just buy the spool.
Over here it is $18 dollars. (this country is so dear)
I keep pre loaded spools in my truck.
Also as these spools are low profile (no bump head) so when doing banks etc it makes a nice job.
The life span is not as good as an alloy head but so much quicker and cheaper.
Hope this helps
Cheers Worzel

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Mowjoe
19-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I prefer to use the Alloy Multi Fit Head ($13.50 from dean) for my brushcutters. Whilst the other Alloy Head ($55 for 3) is also good it tends to use more cord.

The Multi Fit is a lot stronger and will last longer.

With the cord 3.3mm (orange) I use about 400mm and when the cord gets to about 300mm I tie a knot in one end. When I have two I can the put them on the head. It saves a lot of wastage and when the knotted cord is finished I throw away about 75 to 100mm.

Bump feeds and continuous feeds are a waste of time in this business, the alloy heads are easier and quicker to load.

Mrs HMS
19-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks again for the advice fellas!

mongoose
24-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I bought a alloy head the other day and end up taking it of and putting my shindiawa speed feed head back on . The cord just keeped coming out soon as i went neer any thing [damn i was getting pissed of with it] .

63impala
24-04-2008, 11:42 AM
What kind of cord where you using if it was 2.7 you should of been fine. I never have that problem.

Mowjoe
25-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Mongoose,

Make sure that the cord is placed onto the head correctly. It sounds like the cord is not locked onto the head and is slipping out.

I use the multi fit head which only requires 1 piece of cord. (See my earlier thread)

With the other Alloy Head you have to make sure that the cord is on the head properly or it will not stay attached.

:aus-flag:

JJR
25-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I bought a alloy head the other day and end up taking it of and putting my shindiawa speed feed head back on . The cord just keeped coming out soon as i went neer any thing [damn i was getting pissed of with it] .

Hi mongoose, Make sure you wind the cord on in a clockwise direction, opposite to the direction of rotation. :wave-hi: cheers, John.

mongoose
25-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks guys , the line is 2.7 vortex and wound in a clockwise direction . But i have also found it a bite slow compard to the speed feed head , But in saying that i used the allow heads for about 7 years .

mowjoman
16-06-2008, 06:38 AM
How did you get on with the alloy head Joanne?

I finally got rid of my bump feed and have been using the alloy head now for about a week and I am quite happy with it. Had a bit of trial and error fitting it and had to shorten the whipper gaurd due to the lower cutting profile. Using 3.3mm vortex line as opposed to the 2.7 I had on the bumper.....Yeah so looks like alloy for me :wave-hi:

administrator
16-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Want to know how to load the alloy head go here

http://www.indmowing.com.au/tanaka_alloy_head.htm