PDA

View Full Version : hands / vibration

paul123
02-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I had to sell my mowing business a few years ago one of the reasons was due to my right hand and fingers being effected by vibration (whiper snipper) sort of from holding the throttle half on all day etc. I have recently been wanting to restart my business, has anyone got any tips on avoiding this?
Any advice appreciated.

administrator
02-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Check out the search button and look for these threads also search carpel tunnel

whpper snipping for a long period of time

Line trimmers

twin_cities_lawncare
02-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Special padded gloves can help minimise the effect of vibration (eg the Allegro ones). Taking a break every so often and giving the fingers some exercise to nimble them up and boost the circulation would help too, I'm sure....you've got to look after yourself out there!

Mrs HMS
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1278&highlight=white+finger+vibration

This is a previous thread on this subject. :wave-hi:

administrator
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Vitamin E ALSO VERY GOOD FOR CIRCULATION ;)

lawn order
03-04-2008, 07:46 PM
, I love the colorful clothes she wears
And the way the sunlight plays upon her hair
I hear the sound of a gentle word
On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air

Im pickin up good vibrations
Shes giving me excitations
(oom bop bop good vibrations)
(oom bop bop excitations)
Good good good good vibrations
(oom bop bop)
(oom bop bop)

Close my eyes
Shes somehow closer now
Softly smile, I know she must be kind
When I look in her eyes
She goes with me to a blossom world

(oom bop bop good vibrations)
(oom bop bop)
(oom bop bop)

(ahhhhhhh)
(ah my my what elation)
I dont know where but she sends me there
(ah my my what a sensation)
(ah my my what elations)
(ah my my what)

Gotta keep those lovin good vibrations
A happenin with her
A happenin with her
A happenin

Ahhhhhhhh
(oom bop bop)
(Im pickin up good vibrations)
(oom bop bop)
(excitations)
(oom bop bop)
Shes na na...

Na na na na na
Na na na
Na na na na na
Na na na
Do do do do do
Do do do
Do do do do do
Do do do

What were we on?

cadase
03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I saw Brian Wilson on television last week. :)

SAY NO TO DRUGS :laughing: (The lights on but no one's home)

DAJ
04-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi Paul
I had a similar problem with vibration and bought a pair of anti vibration gloves.They cut out a lot of the constant vibration from brushcutters,chainsaws etc.Might be worth a try.The ones i have came from Advance Safety and cost about $50.
Cheers

paul123
04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks guy's
seems like a bit of a common thing. I'll check out those gloves.

administrator
04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I had to sell my mowing business a few years ago one of the reasons was due to my right hand and fingers being effected by vibration (whiper snipper) sort of from holding the throttle half on all day etc. I have recently been wanting to restart my business, has anyone got any tips on avoiding this?
Any advice appreciated.

Paul so u didnt get it checked out by the doctors you just quit lawnmowing
heres a tip go see your doctor to make sure what you had is what we think you may have which is Carpel Tunnel Sydrome

Just a tip

WAW
04-04-2008, 06:56 PM
I have had problems as well with numbing, tingling, stiffness as the result of hanging on to power equipment that vibrates & needs control to perform it's task. At many levels this can injury may be reduced and managed better through choice of equipment with vibration damping, hand protection with gel pack gloves, take fish oil for joint lubrication, warm up especially forearms, resting frequently & the pumping of your fist to recirculate blood & restore feeling, work smarter not harder but looking at your technique on each piece of equipment i.e. what position is your wrist is when you turn your mower, use a harness for supporting the weight of a machine when walking up the driveway from back to front yard to give a 'rest period' etc... Ultimately, getting professional advice is the greatest investment for making an informed decision. Good vibs to you (sorry, I just had to be cheesy).

paul123
04-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Paul so u didnt get it checked out by the doctors you just quit lawnmowing
heres a tip go see your doctor to make sure what you had is what we think you may have which is Carpel Tunnel Sydrome

Just a tip

It was one of the reasons, I first started mowing as a lifestyle thing less stress and the like, always wanted to do it. My old employer made me an offer to good to refuse, went back (big mistake) now I want all my good customers back that I bloody sold, oh well I will start looking for new ones.

administrator
07-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Carpel Tunnell Syndrome

lawn order
07-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Used an ecko brush cutter for a few years - totally no drama.
Under advice have tried a big store brand 2 stroke -
Goes well, but shakes like a wine-dot on a pension day night -
just half a shandy off the horrors.
The 2stroke oil mix never settles.

administrator
08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Occupational Overuse Syndrome (OOS)

What is OOS?

Occupational Overuse Syndrome (OOS) is the term given to a range of conditions characterised by discomfort or persistent pain in muscles, tendons and other soft tissues. These conditions are usually caused or aggravated by poor work processes and unsuitable working conditions that involve repetitive or forceful movements or the maintenance of constrained or awkward postures. OOS is also known as Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI).

Some of the problems that can be caused by OOS are:

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Pressure on the median nerve in the wrist, which causes numbness and tingling in the fingers and hand.

Tenosynovitis Pain and swelling of the tendons, often in hands and wrists.

Epicondylitis Pain and tenderness of the muscles and tendons around the elbow.

Static Muscle Strain Occurs when muscles are used to keep part of the body still and stiff for long periods. This can cause pain and stiffness in muscles, often in the shoulders, neck and forearms.

What are the symptoms of OOS?

Symptoms of OOS often include swelling, numbness, restricted movement and weakness in or around muscles and tendons of the back, neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands or fingers. It may become difficult to hold objects or tools in the hands, affecting your ability to function at work and at home.

Symptoms can vary from person to person and may often involve more than one part of the body.

In the early stages, the pain may be slight. If action is taken immediately, no damage is likely to occur. If no action is taken, the condition may get worse. Pain may continue while doing other movements or even while not using the injured part of the body at all. Pain generally stops with rest, but prolonged periods of rest may be necessary to reduce severe pain. If nothing is done to redesign the work to eliminate or reduce the risk of injury, then permanent damage may result. (NOHSC, Managing Workplace Hazards Factsheets: Overuse Injuries)

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)?

CTS is one of the more frequently reported injuries arising from overuse injuries. The carpal tunnel is a bracelet formed by bone and ligament just below the wrist at the heel of the hand. The tunnel is filled with flexor tendons that control finger movement and also provides a pathway for the median nerve to reach sensory cells in the hand. Repetitive wrist and finger movements can result in a thickening of the protective sheaths which surround each of the tendons, this swelling increases pressure on the median nerve and causes the numbness and tingling associated with carpal tunnel syndrome.

What are the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

CTS often first appears as painful tingling in one or both hands during the night. The sufferer may have problems with activities that require the wrist to be bent and stationary, such as driving or reading a book. The fingers may feel weak and swollen, even when there is little or no swelling apparent. As symptoms increase, tingling may develop during the day. A decreased ability and power to squeeze things may follow. In advanced cases, sustained, persistent numbness in the hand can lead to muscle deterioration. What can cause OOS?

Any work requiring fast repetitive movements, fixed postures held for long periods or repeated forceful movements, has an OOS risk.

Factors that can contribute to OOS include:

Poorly designed equipment or workstations
For example: equipment that requires awkward body postures to perform repetitive tasks, such as workbenches that are too high or too low; badly designed tools that require excessive force or are inappropriate to the job; poor workstation layout that requires bending, twisting or stretching to perform a single task; chairs, desks or benches which are not suited to the worker's height.

Repetitive movement
Repetitive movements are especially hazardous when they involve the same joints and muscle groups over and over and when the same motion is performed too often, too quickly and for too long. Work involving movement repeated over and over is very tiring because the worker cannot fully recover in the short periods of time between movements.

Awkward work postures and movements
Any body position can cause discomfort and fatigue if it is maintained for long periods of time. For example working for long periods in a standing position can cause sore feet, general muscular fatigue, low back pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders.

When parts of the body are near the extremes of their range of movements such as when bending, reaching or twisting, stretching and compression of tendons and nerves occur. The longer a fixed or awkward body position is used, the more likely it is that an injury will develop.

Similarly, holding the neck or shoulders in a fixed position can contribute to OOS. When the arm performs any controlled movement, muscles in the neck and shoulder contract and stay contracted for as long as the task requires. The contracted muscles squeeze the blood vessels, which restricts the flow of blood all the way down to the working muscles of the hand. As a result, the neck and shoulder muscles become overtired even though there is little or no movement. At the same time, the reduced blood supply to the rest of the arm accelerates fatigue in the muscles that are moving, making them more prone to injury.

Other risk factors that arise from poorly organised work systems and processes include:

Unpredictable workflows and inability to control the volume of work.

Urgent deadlines which may require long shifts or overtime to meet.

Lack of training and no period of adjustment for employees returning from a period of absence

63impala
09-04-2008, 02:15 PM
More like to much choking the chicken :read_this :)

paul123
09-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Must admit I first used Husqvarna whippers but later changed to shindaiwa T260's, the husqvarna was much lighter and more comfortable to use than the shindaiwa only reason I stopped using the husqy's is you nearly have to rip the motor off to start them after a while.

paul123
09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
The OOS extract is interesting, I used to drop stuff all the time like my throttle hand just lost strength even when I would be doing things like washing dishes, Sounds a little serious