PDA

View Full Version : Van's

grasshopper
07-04-2008, 08:58 PM
thinking of getting a van. Anyone using one for work? How's the towing power, fuel eco?

geoff
07-04-2008, 09:02 PM
must say u cant beat the ute , specially the hilux work mate .. heaps of room on the tray the mower the bags and evn a big load of prunings , the van can be a bit retrictive.... have a lockable tool box on the ute and chain and padlock to take care of the security ... ute is easy so much for getting stuff on and off but i gues its what u are used of but for me the ute

lethal
09-04-2008, 11:48 AM
must say u cant beat the ute , specially the hilux work mate .. heaps of room on the tray the mower the bags and evn a big load of prunings , the van can be a bit retrictive.... have a lockable tool box on the ute and chain and padlock to take care of the security ... ute is easy so much for getting stuff on and off but i gues its what u are used of but for me the ute

I too have a ute and agree with Geoff, before the ute I had a lwb van and the trailer I tow almost ripped off the rear end of the van, so if you are usaully towing a bit of weight I suggest getting a ute. If it is security you are worried about get a ute with a lockable canopy and make sure the canopy is the type that opens on the back and both sides to make it easy to grab your gear. ;)

Lancat
09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Both my Utes have trays, drop sides and I don’t think I would every go to a tub or van. Lockable toolbox, stainless steals eyelets with chain and padlocks to lock down gear.

The tray is very easy to unload for the weekend and so versatile.

A few of my mates work out of tub type Ute and are very limited in what they can carry. The other thing is that none or them lock any of there gear down and rely on the cover to protect there gear from prying eyes.

Of late I have not been towing my trailer around due to the lack of grass so all my cuttings are going into 2 large green waste bins on the tray.

I carry
21’ Honda S/P Mower catcher, side chute and mulch plug
Honda Line trimmer,
Sthil Blower,
1 large green waste bin
Fuel box with 5 & 10litre fuel containers
15litre backpack sprayer,
6 meter pole extension cutters,
Lockable toolbox with my general hand tools, loppers, saws, shears, oil, sprays, and chemicals
2 shovels, 2 rakes a brome and axe
20 litres of water
Loose bags and rope

And when I need it the Sthil chainsaw, Honda or Sthil hedge trimmer another toolbox with my landscaping hand tools

Try and carry that around in a tub type ute :laughing:

Lancat
09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Sorry I was tooting my trumpet. (It gets lonely out here)

A few guys down here use SWB vans Toyota & Kia and tow a small trailer. One of them was telling me that the smell on fuel and grass sometimes gets to him but he has everything in the one place.

As far as towing it’s like every vehicle, if you use it as what the vehicle is designed to do you won’t have a problem and the fuel usage will be relevant to the load you are towing.

My Holden Ute is a V8 5 litre one ton. Some people would class it’s as workhorse and is designed to tow and carry a load but I prefer to drive the Mazda B2600 due to the economic and the way it drives. The Mazda is also designed to tow and carry 1 ton.

Both Ute cost very little to run on gas and both have there advantage and disadvantages (the V8s a mans Ute)

Grasshopper if you think a van is the way to go .DO IT. You will set it up to suit the way you work. I prefer the tray and others prefer Tubs, truck, trailers, and even the boot and back seat of their cars.

BLACK BEAR
09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I use a ford 1 tonner on gas, with 8ft x 6ft tray & roof racks - no trailer needed except when taking the ztr dixon. I typically take 3 honda mowers + catchers, ramp, 2 w/snippers, 2 blowers, 2 hedge trimmers, chainsaw + all the small tools, rakes etc needed for gardening along with 10 ltrs fuel - this can easily handle 15-20 mows a day consistently without problems. It has a lockable h/duty tool box and a couple lengths of chain with padlocks. It still has half the room spare on roof racks and can easily take 6 bags of grass (if needed,) but cant say I have taken away that much for probably 8 yrs :russ:. If planned right it takes away all the hassle of towing a trailer, quick and easy to get around and park but probably the only downside is when it rains consistanty :rolleyes: you must cover your filters etc on your equipment. Will deal with that problem when it eventually rains again. :Rain: :Rain: :Rain:
A LITTLE BIT OF PLANNING!! Hope this helps

lawn order
09-04-2008, 09:20 PM
VANS

Van Morrison beats all Jap utes.
Hard!