PDA

View Full Version : business name - potential clash with another

robbie
16-04-2008, 02:38 PM
we're new to the game and still going through the admin work and are semi-stumped on a business name.

the one we have decided "may" clash with another name already out there....

its a "brand" type name, with two words, and after searching through the business name database i've found someone with a similar name... do you guys think this may cause any issues?

just a little more info without posting the name, the name consists of two words, but reversed... i.e. ours is onetwo his is twoone (if that makes sense??)

all opinions are welcomed!

Islandhead
16-04-2008, 03:32 PM
When I went to register my business name it was deemed too close to another already registered name so I had to choose another on the spot.

My only advice would be to have a few names you are happy with so you are prepared if your first choice is turned down.... good luck guys :wave-hi:

robbie
16-04-2008, 03:47 PM
g'day mate... its so hard to find good names these days... I guess what we are looking for is a "branding"..

the "A&B Mowing Services" type names IMHO are a think of the past.. no offence to anyone that still trades under these names, but these days its all about branding..

SCO
16-04-2008, 05:25 PM
A mate of mine tryed to register his Skip bin Biss with the name

" Bin Laden " He was told NO, Nothing else no explination, Just NO. :laughing:

Was a clever name but, but i wonder if he would of got any biss ?
Would you hire a Bin laden skip bin ? :i dunno:

robbie
16-04-2008, 06:03 PM
thats a classic name...

I was >< close to buying a tow truck a while ago, and was going to call it Camel Tow

Bgs
16-04-2008, 06:35 PM
g'day mate... its so hard to find good names these days... I guess what we are looking for is a "branding"..

the "A&B Mowing Services" type names IMHO are a think of the past.. no offence to anyone that still trades under these names, but these days its all about branding..

I agree with that and also choose a brand name, but it is bloody hard to come up with a original name that does not clash with others,

unless you put your name in front anything with the words garden, service, solutions,maintenance,lawn mowing, lawn, mowing, urban, green, Brisbane, property, Landscape, north side, south side west side. are all pretty much out ,

In Brisbane when you apply they keep all of your application fee or a portion (i Cant remember). If they see a potential clash so you then have to keep coming up with new name until they agree.

Mrs HMS
16-04-2008, 06:42 PM
We had 4 goes at getting an name accepted, each time nominating 3 choices and 3 times they knocked back all 3.

We used our last name and every time this was rejected..."X mowing, X garden maintenance, X garden services. One was knocked back because X garden maintenance was too close to X building maintenance WTF???? Completely different service but they wouldn't budge on it.

In desperation we ended up using initials hyphenated with "Mowing Services" tacked on the end and it was accepted. We aren't overly excited about it but we had to get what we could.

geejay
16-04-2008, 09:50 PM
my thoughts are posiable a little different. from the clients perspective they see you as a individaul that they trust to come onto their turf/castle,not as a brand,i think as indm's this is our strength.A brand is corporare like Jims or VIP.so with this thought i have no sign writing,no brands,its me take it or leave it.

gj

robbie
16-04-2008, 11:54 PM
yeah thats another point of view...

i'm going be talking with Daniel tomorrow to discuss business names.. we are keen on the one we have thought of, but want to make sure its the "one" we are happy with

twin_cities_lawncare
17-04-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm sure you guys will come up with a good business/name - two heads are better than one...

robbie
17-04-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm sure you guys will come up with a good business/name - two heads are better than one...

yeah, it will eventually come to us!

but at the momen, its still in the :i dunno: stages.

DAJ
17-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Registering names may be different in other states but the last 2 times i registered a name i got both of them even though there wear other businesses with the same name .one was a large food company eg;abc foods and the other was a clothing shop eg abc kids clothes.What i did was specify my type of business on the form and just called it 'abc'.Once i had the name i could then put under it our slogan .Like 'We are quite ok at lawn mowing'.
Worked for me :wave-hi:

tony bettess
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
G'Day Robbie how did you go with your bussiness name? I know when we thought of our's it took us a while playing around with names till we got one we were happy with.(About 2 month's) :aus-flag: :cool:

robbie
01-05-2008, 06:44 PM
g'day tony, yeah we're set on a name, just gotta get the paperwork done now and send it through...

hopefully it goes through, fingers crossed :)

tony bettess
01-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Best of Luck! Robbie. :cool:

grasshopper
04-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I want to change mine to "Yer what?"...as in when your flogging your gutz out in 36c heat and your already behind the eight-ball, and the phone keeps ringing!!.....don't like my chanches of getting the job, but I'd love to say it just once!! :p

lawn order
04-05-2008, 05:20 PM
You can have for free
MUCHOS GRACIOUS
Amigo

lawn order
08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
C'mon! toss a few around.
Grass Monkey - cool as!
Ladies outfit - Mow Lasses
Mo - The simpsons + logo.
Mow-hammed - Lakembla Lawns
Ferra Mowns - rough slashing.
Whore Mowns - Bordello Meadows a speciallity
Wicked Wicket
Eighteen second green

I know they are lousy names, but if you don't start out
with no rule outs you will end up with precious few to
choose from.

tony bettess
13-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi, Robbie. How did you go getting your buisness name registraition go. No problem's i hope. :aus-flag: :cool:

robbie
14-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi, Robbie. How did you go getting your buisness name registraition go. No problem's i hope. :aus-flag: :cool:

hey tony, thanks for asking.

i'm about to build a new house, so when that projects done i'll be moving onto this... its on hold for a few months :i dunno:

lifestyle
15-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Just go to the business names register and they will fill you in on the do's and don'ts.

Do a business name search first (probably around $20) because if you just fly blind and register the name, if it falls through (and your back up names fall through - usually 3) you won't get your money back.

administrator
24-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Different States have different priceing to set up your business name .

What price did u pay ?

lifestyle
24-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Different States have different priceing to set up your business name .

What price did u pay ?

I paid $115 (I think) this time around, which lasts 3 years. Its up for renewal this year. I think its $125 now.

When i registered my first business it was around $90. Thats about 15 years ago.

DAJ
24-06-2008, 01:17 PM
My son is regeristing one today in NSW .Cost $142 for 3 years

Rob@Borlorac
24-06-2008, 02:27 PM
The cost to register a business name in Queensland is $116-90 for 1 year or $224-50 for 3 years.

glassngrass
16-07-2008, 08:55 PM
My unqualified understanding is - if you use your name, initials or nickname that strongly identifies YOU, then there is no requirement to register at all. Whether or not there is already a Dave's Lawncare, Blue's Slashing or Smith Street Gardening Services, if these aren't already registered business names, (and even if there is but there is not likely to be any confusion due to say distance) there should not be an issue.

Of course, not every name isg reat for branding.

lifestyle
16-07-2008, 10:47 PM
In most states you can trade as "yourself" e.g. "William K. O'Brien" But if you use "O'Briens Gardening service" it could be ANY O'Brien doing gardening and it could clash.

It doesn't sound like a big deal, and as simple as it sounds, you could be held liable for another "O'Briens Gardening Service" mistake.

holdenhead
17-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Hi all, When I first started mowing lawns in '98 I think. I registered a name. I was only doing it part time as I was doing an apprenticeship as a chef at the same time. After about 18 months I stopped mowing lawns coz I had no time for myself but wanted to keep the name. It really is a classic! The registration ran out in november 2001 and I had the plan to get through christmas then start it all up again from the new area I moved to. I went to reregister in mid January to find some thief registered my business name in the same suburb I was living in before. They must have seen my flyer or something and waited for my registration to run out and steal it. Not long after I heard someone ring up triple m when they where doing a thing on cool bussiness names and said my name. As I moved over the other side of town I never did catch up with them.

I did just notice that late last year that name has been deregistered and I am going to get my hands back on it. Does anyone know if you can change your bussiness name easily? and how?

Cheers Rick

Just Love Gardening
17-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Hi All,
Names are important and you should go through the correct chanells to get it registered, Dept of Fair Trading, is I think the department to head to. Next step also is to do a domain name search on the net and see if that name has been taken as well.
You might come up with a great name, then a few years later on find out someone else has registered the domain name.

Cheers and best of luck

Andy B
25-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm in the process of registering my business name and crikey it cannot happen fast enough. I'm in QLD, it's now $122.50 for 1 year and $234 for 3 years.

I posted my application in (wasn't able to go in there for two hours with kids) and they took my money on the 6th of July. On the ASIC website my name is pending but I've heard or received nothing back from Office of Fair Trading.

How long has it taken you guys? I'm starting to call them the Office of Unfair Trade. :(

Andy B
25-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Sorry just rechecked ASIC website, and it's status is REGD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 weeks! (Still awaiting confirmation in post.)

Insuance and flyers now, here I come! :russ:

Stripes
25-07-2009, 10:58 AM
How long has it taken you guys? I'm starting to call them the Office of Unfair Trade. :(

When I registered my new name last year, it was approved on the spot with Fair Trading. I came home, registered the domain name and had the website up and running the next day. I don't know why they are taking so long for you?

Bgs
28-07-2009, 07:36 AM
When I registered my new name last year, it was approved on the spot with Fair Trading. I came home, registered the domain name and had the website up and running the next day. I don't know why they are taking so long for you?

Maybe Sydney bureaucracy is more efficient, I am in Brisbane and it took Fairtrading Qld about 5 weeks when I started Three weeks to advise me that my first choice was too similar to existing ones and another two weeks to approve my second choice,

DAJ
28-07-2009, 09:04 AM
When i registered my name i filled out the froms in the office and they searched it and aproved it on the spot .It was all done in about 30 mins . Sounds like they do things a lot differantly in your area .

Bluey
28-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Did our s online and was back in a couple of days

TOO EASY YARD CARE
28-07-2009, 08:11 PM
When i registered my name i filled out the froms in the office and they searched it and aproved it on the spot .It was all done in about 30 mins . Sounds like they do things a lot differantly in your area .

i was much the same picked my name and was aproved must have been lucky

geoff1969
30-07-2009, 04:09 PM
dont understand how it can vary so much ?
registered mine online instantly aproved cost about $90 for three years , recived copy of business name certificate etc in mail aprox 8 days after registering it ,

Bgs
30-07-2009, 05:19 PM
dont understand how it can vary so much ?
registered mine online instantly aproved cost about $90 for three years , recived copy of business name certificate etc in mail aprox 8 days after registering it ,

I just had a look on the QLD fair trading website and if you do it in person it can take up 2hours, but if you mail it in it can take up to 10 working days seems its best to do it in person in qld anyway.

geoff1969
30-07-2009, 09:16 PM
i think a lot of it depends on the person behind the counter , like vic roads ( rta ) some people behind the couter are help full and get on with the job for you and are very help full , others just start the so called process then throw it in the to hard basket and leave you hanging and waiting ;dealers;

Des
10-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Mate the name is gone already.....there is a camel tow in Perth :-)