PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ear Muffs

Premier
20-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my ear protection and at present I'm considering a set of Electronic Ear Muffs and or Ear Muffs with AM/FM Radio installed.

Can anyone share their experience good or bad with any of the above?

Cheers ;)

Premier

bb1
20-04-2008, 08:49 PM
The clients looks at you a little funny when you suddenly start dancing in the middle of there lawn, because of some tune you are listening to

Premier
20-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Maybe...But I charge them more if they want to watch me work :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers ;)

Premier

DAJ
21-04-2008, 09:37 AM
I tried a pair electronic ear muffs a while back and did not like them.When there was no noise[above a certain DB ]you could here ok but it sounded like a bad ,muffled record or something.When the noise level got louder they were just like any other ear muff.And if you forget to turn them off you are up for batteries all the time.
I went back to Peltor ear muffs with the back of the head wire band.

Premier
21-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks DAJ,

I take it that your experience was not good with the Electronic earmuffs, do others here feel the same?

What about the AM/FM Radio version, surely someone must have tried these...any good?

Or does the majority prefer conventional earmuffs or perhaps use none at all?

What say you all?

Cheers ;)

Premier

administrator
21-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Radio ear muffs are ok Bilsom or Peltor best brands
;) everything else is pritty poor quality

grasshopper
21-04-2008, 07:03 PM
stick the i-pod in with normal ear-muffs over the top...did get caught out the other day singing-shouting along to "dirty deeds done dirt cheap" !!!! :laughing:

Lancat
21-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I use the earphones from my phone to listen to the radio, FM only and I’m able to take phone calls at the same time. Recently I purchased a set of Bilsom behind the neck earmuff and don’t find them as comfortable as the Peltor behind the neck earmuff.

If you want a really nice comfortable fit, purchase a set of David Clark silicon filled ear cups and cotton covers from an aviation shop. Remove the old ear cup padding replace with the new silicon type ones and you will never go back to wearing those ill fitting hard plastic covered ones.

Lancat
21-04-2008, 10:51 PM
I have only tried the David Clark silicon filled ear cups with the Peltors. They will not fit the Bilsom's as they are a differtent shape.

just john
22-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I also use an i-pod under the ear muffs ,a great sound over 300 songs, :Rain: :Rain: :Rain: goes all day

Premier
22-04-2008, 04:42 PM
So...It looks like a conventional pair of Ear Muffs is the go, but working out how to borrow the Good Lady Wife's iPod long term without her missing it is going to present some problems :frightene :confused: :frightene

Cheers ;)

Premier

bellarinelawns
25-05-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm thinking about BANNING my subbies from using ipods under their earmuffs for the simple reason that they can't hear me when I YELL to them. I think that Ipods and AM/FM radio ear muffs are a workplace hazard in that they block out all external noise. I thought the purpose of ear muffs was to simply reduce noise levels but still be able to hear some noise such as approaching cars etc, and people talking in raised voices to you. I mow at a retirement village and I can just visualise one particular subbie stepping back into the path of a council garbage truck. He's cluelass at the beat of times and the ipod under his earmuffs just make it worse.

just john
25-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Anything can be a hazard when an idiot is in control .I thought it would be common sense to look around when your near a road don't blame the ipod its a great way to pass the time of day anyway before the ipod theres no way I would hear someone with the machinery going and the earmuffs on ;) :p

bb1
25-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Anything can be a hazard when an idiot is in control .I thought it would be common sense to look around when your near a road don't blame the ipod its a great way to pass the time of day anyway before the ipod theres no way I would hear someone with the machinery going and the earmuffs on ;) :p

OOp's I must be an idiot, I have stepped out in front of a car while doing one of my big body corporates, you see one car every 10 minutes, so you kinda get a little slack at times. The worst I find is when a resident walks up and stands behind you while you are snipping, and suddenly you are worried about them getting hit.

NWGL
25-05-2008, 09:35 PM
The worst I find is when a resident walks up and stands behind you while you are snipping, and suddenly you are worried about them getting hit.

Worse than that is when you're using the whippy and they walk up behind you AND tap you on the shoulder to get your attention. :dean:

Talk about an accident waiting to happen. Some people have no idea.