PDA

View Full Version : Autumn time......and the mowing is eeeeasy

Bgs
26-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi All ,

As this is my first autumn mowing I am curious to know what others do about reducing their visits to regular clients as the grass slows.

Some of my weekly and fortnightly visits are an absolute walk in the park at the moment and i feel a bit guilty about doing them weekly

Do you recommend to the client that the grass is slowing and they may want to push back a week or so or do you wait until the client asks for it.

simo
26-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I say to them "hey the grass has slowed I`ll see you next week or call me if you think it will go another week" and usually they forget to ring so i keep turning up untill they tell me otherwise.

63impala
27-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Go monthly.

Bgs
27-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Go monthly.

Is that what you would suggest to the customer?

My question was do you advise the customer you are reducing the visits as the grass has slowed or do you wait for them to ask.

I have been telling customers that I do not need to mow their lawn so often and they have been a bit surprised agreeing to less regular visits, and I was wondering if I am talking my self out of work and curious as to what others contractors do.

Bgs
27-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I say to them "hey the grass has slowed I`ll see you next week or call me if you think it will go another week" and usually they forget to ring so i keep turning up untill they tell me otherwise.

Thanks simo

63impala
27-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I say a this time a season Ill be back in for weeks because you look like a foll taking one catcher of grass away when you usaly take a whole bag away and the clients thinks he just trying to make easy money that why I always get in first and say Ill be back 3-4 weeks (with me 4)just depends on the grass and area and how quick it will grow. my 2 cents.

tony bettess
27-04-2008, 11:46 AM
This time of the year i just get on the phone & asked them if it needs cutting or leave it for a week or two. Most off them appreciated that you give them a call. Plus it's cheaper than driving around.
:cool:

mowjoman
29-04-2008, 05:55 AM
All of my regulars have now gone from 2 weeks to 3 or 4. I've told my customers and they seem to appreciate it. Even though its less work now I believe they'll stay loyal as a reult.....Honesty the best policy in my book :wave-hi:

just john
29-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Love this time of year ,put mulch plug in mower ,whip over the lawn in 1/2 the time .Do lawns every 3 weeks for a couple of cuts then every 4weeks ,some just call me when they need a tidy up knowing its not going to get to long if they leave it :rolleyes: :russ: :ebony:

DAJ
29-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I do much the same ,Tell them it is slowing down and book them in for 3 weeks,then every 4 weeks.At the same time i have been sugesting other work that should be done over winter.Pointing out a messy garden ,gutters etc.By doing this i have gotten quite a lot of extra work to fill in the gaps. :wave-hi:

bks07
29-04-2008, 01:51 PM
All of my weekly customers are now 2 weekly and all 2 weekly remain 2 weekly all of my customers know that it is 2 weekly until the end of May then i go to 3 weekly till the start of August and its back to 2 weekly and weekly for the weekly customers.
And as for getting a catcher of grass off a lawn compared to a bag i have mulched all lawns since August last year and i only take hedge clippings and palm fronds to the tip never had one complaint yet and the lawns keep growing rather than slowing during winter. Give it a go you will be suprised how good they look.

NWGL
29-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I do much the same ,Tell them it is slowing down and book them in for 3 weeks,then every 4 weeks.At the same time i have been sugesting other work that should be done over winter.Pointing out a messy garden ,gutters etc.By doing this i have gotten quite a lot of extra work to fill in the gaps. :wave-hi:

Noticed a few lawns I do have winter weeds starting to pop up.

Now that the lawns are about to go 3 weekly, it's a good time to tell the customer you need to spray them before they get out of hand. Also helps to fill the gaps in the schedule.

Bgs
30-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the responses guys good to know i was on the right track advising the customers its starting to slow.

tony bettess
30-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi,BGS. You will probaly find 90% off your customers would appreciate that you are looking after them and not ripping them off. :cool:

Bgs
30-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi,BGS. You will probaly find 90% off your customers would appreciate that you are looking after them and not ripping them off. :cool:

Yeah Probably three customers i have mentioned it too have offered me extra gardening/clean up work which is great :russ:

Mrs HMS
17-04-2010, 10:21 PM
This is another good one to revive...

So what do you do with your customers, suggest less frequent cuts or wait until they tell you?

redbackmowing
17-04-2010, 10:46 PM
This is another good one to revive...

So what do you do with your customers, suggest less frequent cuts or wait until they tell you?

i like autumn & spring. best times of the year. still busy enough & don't get knocked around by the heat & humidity. my newer customers are on a stricter schedule but some older ones are a bit more lienient. so a mixed bag. yes a good thread mrs HMS.

Andy B
17-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Most of mine are 3 weekly anyway... I've put 2-3 weekly on quotes and most people opt for 3 weekly. I had a quiet chuckle the other week though when a new client rang me up and said he's happy with the price but that many times a week is questionable. :rolleyes: I set him straight and started with a good clean up of the edges.

I offered to go to 3 weeks on one of my most valued bread and butter clients, (cheap price but consistent), he replied saying that he'd prefer to keep it fortnighty because it makes the place look good cause it's not just the mowing it's the blowing off of the driveway etc too.

Again tonight different horses for different courses another one which started with a big clean up months ago then 3 weekly, big sloping property with banks and low trees and huge back yard and a rental, I offered to go back to 4 weekly because it's looking really good and know the block like the back of my hand now long or short. Client was happy as.

Different for everybody, but good for me I can take on more new jobs and hopefully by the time growing season comes arou

Andy B
17-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Sorry bumped the mouse pad...

around I'll be able to commit to more hours.

MowerRob
17-04-2010, 11:04 PM
95% of all my clients stay on 3 weekly mows all year round. Obviously different times of the year these mows take different times to do but it equals out over the year in summer might take 5-10mins winter 15-20mins. it makes it easier so u never have ya 2 weekly and 4 weekly coming together or ya 2 weekly 4 weekly and 3 weekly all falling on the same week = chaos

administrator
18-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Autumn Time again How time flys ;)

MOWON
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
i like autumn & spring. best times of the year. still busy enough & don't get knocked around by the heat & humidity. my newer customers are on a stricter schedule but some older ones are a bit more lienient. so a mixed bag. yes a good thread mrs HMS.

Yeah - Great thread
Autumn is the best time of the year for Lawnies
;) ;)
Most of my lawns are still 2 weekly, not too hot, finish about 2 hours earlier :laughing: :laughing:

In fact in spring/summer the lawns grow too fast and it is hard to talk clients/customers into mowing weekly.

In late summer depending on weather patterns can be 2-4 weekly.

In winter we also have problems due to lack of growth.

:Rain: :Rain:
The smart INDES who have been going for years, this is no problem.

I can't remember what I was going to say (I am infected with ageism)

:( :( :(
I remember _ Diversify in winter if (no forgot )
This is terrible
I am lawned out
Bye
Cheers Mike

Andy B
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I think I'm going to put "leaves raked" on my next lot of flyers and see if there's a response, god knows no-one wanted there doggie doo collected. :cool:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
95% of all my clients stay on 3 weekly mows all year round. Obviously different times of the year these mows take different times to do but it equals out over the year in summer might take 5-10mins winter 15-20mins. it makes it easier so u never have ya 2 weekly and 4 weekly coming together or ya 2 weekly 4 weekly and 3 weekly all falling on the same week = chaos

Know exactly what you mean. Can turn an easy week into a major headache.

63impala
06-05-2010, 11:23 AM
i HATE THE PEOPLE tHAT CALL KEV MY HUSBANDS GPOING TO MOW FOR A LITTLE WHILE I STIHL GOT YOU NUMBER ON THE FRIDGE WILL CALL YOU SOON MORE LIKE YOUR HUSBAND LIKE TO MOW IN THE COOL WEATHER BUT WHEN IT HOT GET KEV TO BUST A NUT IN THE SUMMER TIME.....

Wattle GC
06-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I think I'm going to put "leaves raked" on my next lot of flyers and see if there's a response, god knows no-one wanted there doggie doo collected. :cool:

add indoor plant service re- potting etc.. Its a good winter earner and gets you out of the cold for a while..And you meet some weird and wonderful people..

63impala
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
HOW MUCH WOULD YOU CHARGE IF A OLD LADY CALLED AND WANTED 5 LEAVES RAKED UP, THIS IS A TEST ANDY B...

ian
06-05-2010, 06:23 PM
HOW MUCH WOULD YOU CHARGE IF A OLD LADY CALLED AND WANTED 5 LEAVES RAKED UP, THIS IS A TEST ANDY B...
it depends how big are the leaves :)

jas
06-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Usually start dropping lawns back to 3 weeks about now, but the warm weather is hanging on a little longer than usual, so I'm still doing quite a few lawns on a 2 week cycle.
If i can squeeze a few more weeks out i wont complain!

Cheers
Jas

Fred's mowing
06-05-2010, 09:22 PM
We dont promote lengthening the frequency but if the customer requests it, there aint much u can do :i dunno: .
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
07-05-2010, 11:20 AM

$20 unless Kev does it for less. Then Kev can do it. :)

63impala
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
$20 is my mininmum If a lady wanted me to pick up a big smelly dog dookie I would say $20 she dont want to pay looks like she will be picking it up.....

$20 unless Kev does it for less. Then Kev can do it. :)
:russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: :russ: