PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Riddo's Run

Riddo's Run
07-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi All,

Thought I would finally say a quick hello.

I have been an ILMCOA member now for a couple of months just sitting in the background as an observer. I have already learnt a great deal from the 'Fastrack To Success' and from the contributions on the forum.

I am still in the planning phases of breaking out of the corporate world and launching my own business. Basic plan is to start small, residential lawns / garden maintenance etc then after a few years (and some education) increase scope to include design.

I am planning to launch in August 08 and will be based the Hornsby area initially.

Cheers
Dan

Islandhead
07-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum :)

Good luck with your venture in August, joining the ILMCOA and this forum will certainly steer you in the right direction.

Bgs
07-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi Dan,

All the best with your new venture I like your idea of doing some study down the track and getting into design good way to stay in the industry and give the body a rest.

Good Luck

mowjoman
07-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Welcome Dan and all the best with it :wave-hi:

m287j
10-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the site Dan. Like you i left corporate life behind and set up my own business in this industry.

One of the first things i did was join ILMCOA, a smart decision indeed.

If you want to chat to someone local feel free to send me a PM, we are certainly near by.

Riddo's Run
10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies and welcomes...

Hope to chat to you all soon...

Dan

geejay
11-05-2008, 07:50 AM
welcome mate.iam a newbie to the contracting buz since jan.come from a nursery/horticultral/design back ground.enjoying contracting and being able to use my knowleage on some(lots just want a basic service,but some areas will want the add ons,diffrent demographics and target areas) of my clients as add ons.have done design,paving etc.not all clients will require design but there is a niche market there.when you are contracting and have design you can observe many gardens for the pros and cons which will help design developement.to break into the design market is slower.whilst the contracting buz is quicker to help the cash flow.quick garden paving work is a add on and i fit it into my round.

i am very pleased to have implemented deans recomendations and mentour progarm.he saved us $1000's of dollars as we almost bought a franchise.

i have found very strong perceptions on pricing in diffrent deomgraphic areas and segments.use deans recomendations to price each target area and survey your rivals.take out insurance and push this fact as this will help beat alot of the cowboy operators/weekenders etc that will not have insurance.

careful of one offs when you start check windows for breakage.i was recently almost caught with breakage(house next door to one off job) ,but after checking out the break could see that the impact came from inside(that was from advice on this forum),claim was $2000,replace window and frame.after my observation i refused to pay.

do excellent work at reasonable prices, and give more that they expect.on deans recomendations drop brochures around each regular job.this has worked for me and concentrated my work saving fuel and time.i now have a row of 4 and a another group of 3.its brillant one machine all,next machine all.

i try to mulch mow and encourage mulching beds with clippings.better for the garden and saves tip trips.

good luch

cheers

gj

best of luck

cheers

gj

a grass act
21-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Another Sydney member, just need some more in gods country, Hornsby is getting close though.