PDA

View Full Version : Playing Dirty

mowjoman
23-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Had one of my customers the other day tell me about a mowing guy turning up to see if she wanted her lawn mowed, which is fine, but whats not is when she told him shes happy with her current guy (me) he started telling her that he could do a better job, and he got out of her that I charge her $40 so he says he'd do it for $35, (I've only just 2 weeks ago increased her price from $30 to $40), he asks her what sort of mower I use, she says mulcher he says mulching is no good blah blah blah.....
I'm all for a bit of healthy competition but in my opinion this is just DIRTY. I would just never do that.
Just to make another point let me give you guys a bit of history with this customer.....
The guy I bought this buisness off had this customer for 10 years and when I first started she was a bit out of whack (as the oldies often do at the site of change) and she is EXTREAMLY fussy. So much so that I was contemplating letting her go after the first 4 or 5 mows thinking for $30 I dont need this..... However I stuck it out, took my time and now we get on famously and she loves the job I do. She wants it cut every 8 to 10 days, always has a can of solo for me at the end of the job and on occassion gives me a bag of manderines or oranges. A great customer, one that I now value.
I've learn't alot in my short time in this game and my point is, one of the biggest is to carry yourself well and proffesionally and hopefully your loyal customers will stay loyal even if it costs them an extra $5 a cut, so she sent that seagull packing. ;frosty;

Shepparton Lawn Care
23-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Great news for you Mowjoman, I agree with what you said i.e carry yourself well, be professional etc. In this or any business, you can only control what you do, not any other business, so you can only hope that others will see when someone isn't showing good work ethic, morals, standards etc. If you worry about competition, you are not concentrating on what you do!!. I'll get down off the soap box now!!

administrator
23-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Great work Mowjoman

When things get tough in certain areas the area manger of a franchise will sent out quoters dropping the price by 5.00 generally 10.00 trying to pick up clients to fill there guaranttee to the franchisee and of course as soon as business picks up they dump that client as its 2 cheap etc

This goes on all around the country

Dont forget the quoter or franchiser doesnt push the mower lol

now this could be a first but i have never heard someone starting there own or running an Independent business canvass like that .

aLSO WARN YOUR CUSTOMER THAT some one that is a deperado may be caseing the house to rob
and yes it goes on

administrator
23-05-2008, 01:42 PM
More Dirty play

Being followed does and can happen has been reported numerous times
people quietly follow you from a distance and take note of the address that you deal with and canvass these properties weeks later

or even more disturbing following you to see where the money is left in a meter box under a rock etc

takes all kinds to make a world pritty tragic really :i dunno:

waterfront landscapes
23-05-2008, 05:22 PM
dats bloody rotten, i have heard of that happening to people, you know people even walk around looking for spare keys that people hide, eg under pots plants, holes in d wall, ect...

waterfront landscapes
23-05-2008, 05:23 PM
to brake in to houses. i didn't finish of my last post. "silly me"

Hustler
23-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Read jokes Elton John Plays Dirty

Bgs
23-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Good work mowjoman ,What a dirty dog ;dealers; I can not comprehend someone doing that :confused: If a customer did go with a dog like him they would deserve each other and it would be your gain anyway.

63impala
23-05-2008, 05:54 PM
10-10 Shot gun and will bring justic :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :

BLACK BEAR
23-05-2008, 09:21 PM
A shot gun would not suit me , I'd prefer to use a PITBULL :help: :laughing:

kakegc
24-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Franchise customers are easily spotted as the franchise trailers mark there customers so take note of the address and return with a quote and give that customer a better job and a better price

Nothing wrong with competition :rolleyes:

Posted in tips & tricks in December last year! Humm! :mad:

Mrs HMS
24-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Isn't this just part and parcel of being in business?

Tim was a sales rep for 20 years and it was a competitive industry he was in, there are only so many sales you can squeeze out of an existing customer base so they had to try and provide the same/similar/better product at a better price and/or with more reliable service and target customers that dealt with the opposition.

The tactic is a valid one but to be professional and ethical it is imperative that you don't rubbish the opposition, don't try to discredit them just do it better than they do. You will get the customers and you will keep them.

The only defence against this type of canvassing is to deliver a great service at a competitive price and always in a professional manner.

geejay
25-05-2008, 04:13 PM
yep quality work at a value for money price,always try to give more.

administrator
25-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Absolutly a part of business the good thing is though the customers generally always return so dont do u nana just make sure they know no matter what they can always return to you when things dont work out thats if you have the space in your round and time not a bigge

:)

glassngrass
29-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Although dated, this is experienced daily around the country by us all at some stage.

Goes to show - don't compete on price - but on best value!

Every time we show up on time as arranged, do a good job, present well, clean up properly, speak clearly and respectfully or do that little bit extra, we reinforce the view that we provide value.

Business sink competing on price, but thrive giving great value!

It's a perception thing but has tangible results for YOU

Sandgroper
30-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I heard a similar story on a Yankee site,,guy knocked on the door and told the owner that the lawnmowing guy that he had was not cutting it properly,,he actually convinced the homeowner so the owner got rid of his current provider who he had for 8 years :i dunno: