View Full Version : Lawn Mulch

chaplain
30-05-2008, 08:24 PM
is there such a thing as organic mulch

lifestyle
30-05-2008, 09:10 PM
is there such a thing as organic mulch

Trick Question ?

Theoretically, anything that once lived is Organic in that it contains carbon. But anything truly Organic is derived without using chemical pesticides, herbicides etc, or synthetic fertilizers. So a "Truly Organic" mulch would be derived without chemicals throughout the entire growth process - Peas grown organically and the straw then used as a mulch for example.

Pebbles, Scoria, screenings, rocks etc. should be classified as a "dressing" rather than a mulch.

Lawns Plus
01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
:aus-flag: Global Garden Article on Mulch (http://www.global-garden.com.au/burnley/mar98dte.htm)

lifestyle
16-06-2008, 06:17 PM
What happened to the Topsoil / Mulch Calculator Admin ?

administrator
16-06-2008, 07:17 PM
has a glitch it will return

lifestyle
16-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Kewl......

lawn order
16-06-2008, 11:09 PM
You can swim upstream like a salmon on roe with this one.
The more you search, the more bewildering it becomes.
To a Naturapath one molecule to a solution diluted in all the waters in the Universe can have a curative effect.
How pure is pure?
It's the vibe man - It's the vibe.
Get involved with consultants, regulators, administrators, facilitators,
councelor, analyst - or any other expert.
They will all give you an indiscript, voidable, unregemented recommended paramater.
Your Grandfather knew what Organic was, and the same common sense applies to you.
Potato peelings are - Polystyerene ain't.
Be true and go with the Vibe.

lifestyle
17-06-2008, 07:47 AM
oooooooo......kkkkkkkkkk then.... :rolleyes:

administrator
17-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Grass clippings and straw work great in vegetable gardens because they break down quickly.

Leaves and pine needles break down a bit more slowly and are better used in ornamental beds.

Wood chips and bark work well in pathways and ornamental beds because they take a long time to decompose and have a uniform texture.

Be creative with mulches.
Use different textures and colors to define areas.
Also use the appropriate mulch for different situations.
Most native plants enjoy rock mulches, thriving on the reflected heat. Roses and other "exotic plants’ on the other hand prefer bark mulches.
Don't forget the vegetable garden, it will greatly benefit from organic mulches (particularly alfalfa hay) and at the end of the season dig it under to improve soil structure.

Experiment and see what works best in your garden. Take note in and around your suburbs , city plantings, and in botanical gardens not only the plants but the mulch used and duplicate it in your setting or a great way to see what you can do for your customers.

BLACK BEAR
19-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Right on Lawn Order, you just tell em mate :dean:
Can you also tell me where you get that stuff ;) , I wanna be what you are on dude :who-knows

geejay
19-06-2008, 05:16 PM
hibiscus rosa sensis enjoys cool roots, a pebble mulch will enhance flowering.

lifestyle
19-06-2008, 05:56 PM
...sinensis...

yeah they don't like much fertilizer either, it can cause leaf drop on some cultivars and high nitrogen fertilizers can cause excessive leaf growth and delayed or minimal flowering.

geejay
19-06-2008, 06:11 PM
one of our businesses in RSA is growing hibiscus rose sensis for flowers,i.e salads,and the retail/lanscaping nursery industry as a pot plant.our expirance over the last 20 years is they dislike phosphates and like a balance between nitrogen and potash,we use a 5-0-5 quick release fert,with trace elements via spray,dolomite lime upto 3 times in growing seson,depending on ph.they dislike chlorine,filter should be used.in the growing season they are gross feeders,we feed mother stock every two weeks,pots every 3 weeks.mulch to keep roots cool and flowers on.we hybrid rosa sinensis,or newest pvr is "african sunset'to be released 2010.

lifestyle
19-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I'll look forward to the release...

geejay
19-06-2008, 07:37 PM
at this stage we will release 100 000 plants to the johannesburg market in 2010,lifestyle will get a batch,you are welcome to pick one up spring 2010,advertising in the soweto sun.

Bgs
20-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Right on Lawn Order, you just tell em mate :dean:
Can you also tell me where you get that stuff ;) , I wanna be what you are on dude :who-knows

I would recommend doing ice, heroin, ecstasy, marijuana and a carton of grog every day for 20 years to build up your stamina before attempting Lawn order strength drugs lol
;frosty;

geejay
22-06-2008, 06:59 AM
So 70's 70's.
Me Greek mate Con Sensis had 2 sisters that enjoyed the very same thing.

2 sisters hibiscus rosa senensis is a strong,prolific,flower-placed out of water on he dinning room table they will stay open all day.endible as part of salad.

lawn order
22-06-2008, 10:30 PM
2 sisters hibiscus rosa senensis is a strong,prolific,flower-placed out of water on he dinning room table they will stay open all day.endible as part of salad.
They were edible but non-endable. Like Lionel Ritchie {All night long.}
Eggs & Beetroot can be used as part of a salad.

geejay
23-06-2008, 06:25 PM
when mulching we use the rule of 3 greens,5 browns,turning weekly and keeping moist should give one a compost in 3-4 weeks.

geejay

lifestyle
23-06-2008, 06:53 PM
What do you find best for your browns, geejay ? What gives the best aeration ?

geejay
23-06-2008, 07:42 PM
oak leaves,chicken manure and some soil opens it up for areation.

lifestyle
24-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Would you shred / pulverize the leaves and chicken manure or put them in as is ?

geejay
24-06-2008, 07:12 AM
the leaves are shreaded and mix with greens,grass clippings etc,chicken litter is mixed in with soil and latter,turned weekly and kept moist.compost ready 3-4 weeks.

geejay
26-06-2008, 11:11 PM
to further speed composting add amonium sulphate and keep moist.

lifestyle
26-06-2008, 11:39 PM
to further speed composting add amonium sulphate and keep moist.

I find fresh chicken manure has plenty of nitrogen to speed up the process.

geejay
27-06-2008, 04:26 PM
use amonuim sulphate to generate the heat if you do not have chicken compost available,if you have both mix both for 2-3 week compost,keep moist and turn every 3-4 days.

lawn order
30-06-2008, 10:24 PM
use amonuim sulphate to generate the heat if you do not have chicken compost available,if you have both mix both for 2-3 week compost,keep moist and turn every 3-4 days.
If you want heat - walk through an airport gate with a bag of ammonium nitrate, a drink bottle of distillate & a mobile phone.
It gets bloody hot in a Cuban confine.

chaplain
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I have read alot of Lawn orders post but im thinking he must be another nationality some of it i dont understand not the same lingo ;)

geejay
09-07-2008, 04:46 PM
maybe he/she is of some unigue outback verbal order,orderless,makes the forum colourful doesn,t,bet some go to bed wondering what that was all about.

Just Love Gardening
18-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Organic Mulch........ mmmmmmmm
Leaf mulch bought from a local landscape supply will cost you $20.00 a cubic metre. If you get in contact direct with a chipping contractor you might be able to pick it up for $10 a cubic metre. It breaks down fairly quickly over time . In about 12 months .Apply to the soil at say 3 - 4 inches thick. The decomposition from this matter is a great conditioner to sandy soil gardens. If you re-apply it every 2 years its probably one of the easiest ways to help retain moisture in the garden area ,while surpressing weed growth and also in the long term help to build up the organic material into your sandy or poor soil base. The occassional bag of manure sprinkled over the area can only be a benefit as well. If your plants in your garden bed consist of " native plants " don't use fowl manure as its too high in its acid base. Use either cow manure or mushroom compost instead.

I've got a few free ebooks on some useful info, if your interested on my website . Feel free to browse around.
:wave-hi: