06-07-2004, 06:01 PM
i rang the yellow pages to get a price for an ad
i was just wondering is it worth it?
and what do you guys find works best

cheers
matt

Alex Callaghan
06-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I would say it is worth being at least listed in the yellow pages. I've found that other types of advertising are more effective though. I use high gloss coluer brouchers, 4 pages with company profile, equipment pics, job pics, pricing structure etc. I also leave clear perspex card hollders with my biz cards in them in servo's, Nurserys, bottle shops etc and find both to be the most effective for my biz and where I am.
The yellow pages is good though cause people might see your Ute with signs or see you card or broucher and remeber the name or pick it up and lose it somewhere. When they need a service they remember you and look you up in the yellow pages.

Cheers.

matthew pitman
06-07-2004, 06:18 PM
thanks for the info
ive got a 3 page flyer and leflets out there
ive even got a local kid who delivers the paper to put some in two for bugger all
i also just put some new signs on the trailer two there about
2m x 3m and nearly glow at night but i think its the wrong time of year to be advertising

Ebony
06-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Good for you Alex, your advertising methods show initiative and you are obviously willing to "go and get the business".

I agree with Alex, a listing is good in the Yellow Pages. The Line Ads they do free and will generally call you up out of local papers and ask if you would like a free listing.

As many know, we had a 1/4 page ad ($17,000) running in the Melbourne Yellow Pages last year. I can tell you with all confidence, the response is Dismal compared to other forms of advertising and most definitely not worth the money from our experience.

Good stuff with giving your cards to paper deliverer ;) nice and cheap labour there. Did you do repeats on that at all Matthew. Cards down at the fish and chip shop worked well when we did it (really well actually). So I really like Alex's ideas with the cards, the idea works well, along with other advertising methods. The more you can get your name out there, the better. :)

Take care

Ebony

matthew pitman
06-07-2004, 06:55 PM
yeah done it about three or four times got good response from it
and my offsider puts b/cards at every take away shop / servo or just about any shop he goes into

Ebony
06-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Great to hear Matthew!

It is Fantastic that you are pointing yourself out there.

Ebony
:aus-flag:

Tonyr
06-07-2004, 08:12 PM
G'Day Matthew!

I believe a yellow pages ad is a must.

But, every year they throw a deal at you wanting you to get bigger and bigger, does not make any difference, as long as it catches the eye and has all the revelant info is all that is needed. Commercial and gov work usually comes from the yellow pages, private/domestic the newspaper...from my experiences that is.

I have a couloured text in colmn ad this year, will be reducing it at least 20% next year, the amount of calls it gets isn't worth $1200.