PDA

View Full Version : How to price 7 acres

The General
05-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi there,

I replied to a thread with the same question a moment ago, but thought it might be more helpful if I was to begin a new thread. Basically, I'm looking to quote on mowing 7 acres of government property, with the lawn divided up into about 6 or 7 areas so there's quite a few edges to be done. There's also a few trees around and a couple of small areas that will have to be done by hand, but it's done weekly in summer and monthly in winter so shouldn't ever be too long.

I normally do residential and (smaller) strata stuff, so anyone out there who is happy to give me some advise on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance people!

bb1
05-06-2008, 06:25 PM
I basically work out what a smaller area will take to mow, etc, than multiply it by whatever factor.

As an example I have 2 ride on's, one I can do an acre an hour the other about an acre and a half an hour, so depending on which one I plan to use (one has a catcher), depends on what factor I multiply it by. You of course need to take into account any obstracles, stoppages, etc. but once you klnow what your machine will do, it becomes quite easy to estimate larger areas.

The General
05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks bb1... the question I guess then becomes how much does one charge for the areas then? If you based it on time, then people with smaller ride-ons (which I will be getting) would end up charging a LOT more than people with like 60in zero turn Kubotas or whatever. So I'm guessing one bases it one area... I had someone tell me 5c per m, someone else 3c. These are Sydney prices, so I don't know how they'll compare to what people charge elsewhere.

Thanks bb1 for your reply and to any other members reading this and replying with assistance.

bb1
06-06-2008, 06:56 AM
I have an approximate per hour rate for each ride on, the larger one I charge more for per hour than the smaller one. So effectively they would end up paying the same for the area no matter which mower I use. I say approximate, as my rates vary by about $30.00 per hour, depending on the client, body corporates and commercial jobs I quote much higher.

The General
06-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks bb1, that makes sense re higher hourly charge for faster mower... I just gotta figure out what my little machine will be worth!

tony bettess
06-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi Genral, What I do is go for a walk and see how long it takes to do the edge by timing the walk & allow for other obstacles. Then work out your time for mowing. I charge 50Hr for the 48 inch & 30 for the little 30 inch cox. :cool:

The General
07-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks Tony... can I ask what state you're in? I'm guessing at those rates it's probably not NSW (or Sydney anyway), as everyone here seems to charge about 40 an hour for push mowing when you look at it!

lethal
07-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi there,

I replied to a thread with the same question a moment ago, but thought it might be more helpful if I was to begin a new thread. Basically, I'm looking to quote on mowing 7 acres of government property, with the lawn divided up into about 6 or 7 areas so there's quite a few edges to be done. There's also a few trees around and a couple of small areas that will have to be done by hand, but it's done weekly in summer and monthly in winter so shouldn't ever be too long.

I normally do residential and (smaller) strata stuff, so anyone out there who is happy to give me some advise on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance people!

I charge a base rate of $120.00 per acre, if it is harder conditions for the mower it will be higher.
If doing a government job I would tend to charge more like $150.00 per acre.

gjs
07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi General

Rember most Government depts hold back payment 28 days from date invoice is received so add extra for that. Also you may be asked to justify your quote so be ready with the figures.

Also factor in depreciation for equipment and disposables
Find out how many hours before the mower needs a motor o/haul
say 500 - 2000 hrs, and if a zero turn how many hrs until drives need work.

eg walker mower o/haul 1000 - 2000hrs best to use lower fig. helps cover surprises.
eg Mower $24,000 o/haul @ 1000hrs
=$24/hr depreciation + $25/hr blades,filters,fuel,oil etc
=$49/hr + $40/hr extra if doing outside normal work hrs
=$89/hr
working with that figure walk the site around obstacles etc.
If it takes an hr to walk it you charge $89 + a bit for late payment and penalty rates for outside normal hrs eg labour 40/hr @ time+1/2
or $40/hr @ double time.That's my Australian Workplace Agreement with myself.

You may also want to add some extra to cover your labour cost to replace blades as there is bound to be some rocks etc hidden in the grass.

I have a government job and I charge $110/hr.

Cheers
gjs

gjs
07-06-2008, 02:19 PM
OOOOps typo
where I show
=$49/hr + $40/hr extra if doing outside normal work hrs

SHOULD SHOW
=$49/hr + LABOUR @$40/hr extra if doing outside normal work hrs

sorry guys and gals
gjs

The General
08-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Wow, thanks gjs, really appreciate you taking the time to break it all down like that, very helpful. I'll be sure to let everyone know how I go with the tender! If I win it, I'll have to invest in a ride-on (I don't have one at the moment but was trying to factor that in to the tendered price so I can buy one if I win)... but as for which one, well, that's for me to ask on another thread!

tony bettess
09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi, General. I'm in Sth East Vic. It's all Depend's What your running cost's are in what you charge. Because you give a good service you get good client's. But on the same token your lawn's that you already do is your best advertising. My moto is I'm not happy with the Quality of work how can my client's be happy. :cool: P.s I get 60Hr For slashing with my tractor. :wave-hi:

tony bettess
09-06-2008, 02:56 PM
General don't be disappointed if you don't get the tender, sometimes the tender is asked for to either the contract is up or the contractor has put his rates up and they are doing a reality check with other contractor's. Been there and don't. :cool: :aus-flag:

The General
09-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi Tony,

Many thanks for the helpful advice. I know that in this case, the previous contractor was getting annoyed with how long the process was taking to put this place back out to tender, so he sought work elsewhere as a back-up in case he didn't get the new tender. He got the other contract, so didn't reapply to this one.

Least, that's the story I got! But the guy I've been dealing with seems like a genuine good bloke, so I trust him. We'll just have to wait and see how I go now I guess, as the tender's in!

Thanks again to all!