PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications in the Lawn Mowing & Gardening Industry

lifestyle
06-06-2008, 08:07 PM
On average, how many people in the Lawn / Garden Industry would have some sort of Horticultural qualification ?

Is a qualification required to actually be "in business" in any state in Australia (or New Zealand) ?

BLACK BEAR
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
:rolleyes: I was actually thinking I should get my qualifications as a DEBT COLLECTOR! :p That should increase my turnover heaps at some times of the year, :sad: x-mas seems to be a littel slow with the cash rolling in :dean: everyone seems to be out :rolleyes: spending MY money on X-mas gifts for the ones they really care about :mad:

geejay
10-06-2008, 08:50 PM
no qualifications to set up a mowing business in Nz,SA or AU required from a legal goverment/state perspective.

however from the clients perspective if one wants to do in depth garden care , qualifications and solid practical knowledge are an advantage.

administrator
10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
No Qualifications needed nor should there be

maybe one

every contractor should have a computer and on the net the best teacher that is on the planet
+

geoff
10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
only qualification i would say is the qualifiaction of bloody commonsense ..thats what you need....

BLACK BEAR
10-06-2008, 11:38 PM
:rolleyes: Are you into selling computers now ;) Admin? brother in law lives in hong kong, i am sure we could put a deal together for you :laughing: :laughing: What was the other fella's name :wave-hi: Wun Hung Lo???

haireyscarie
11-06-2008, 07:36 AM
i think it should be a trade
we need to let people no that we are pro's.
and they all need to treat us like all other trades.

geejay
11-06-2008, 08:07 AM
yes for trade certified professional gardeners.

lifestyle
11-06-2008, 08:23 AM
No Qualifications needed nor should there be

maybe one

every contractor should have a computer and on the net the best teacher that is on the planet
+

Yeah i agree with that, the only downside is you need to WANT to learn from it.

I was at a conference once and a speaker said, ...

"...you can read every book in the world, but they will all make no difference unless you do what they say..."

Another guy is famous for saying, You will still be the same person, ten years from now except for the books you read and the people you meet...

A Laptop with wireless broadband would come in very handy on the job especially if a customer can only read "chamaecytisus proliferus" on their plant label and wants to know what the hell it is :cool:

lifestyle
11-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Perhaps a "short course" in Horticulture would be something that could be offered through INDMowing... :i dunno:

administrator
11-06-2008, 08:56 AM
you know the guys with certificates know about every plant except the one you have in your garden
:sad:

lifestyle
11-06-2008, 09:15 AM
you know the guys with certificates know about every plant except the one you have in your garden
:sad:

lol...

Thats why I only studied common domesticated plants when i done mine ;)

administrator
11-06-2008, 09:25 AM
bit like a doctor went to docs said doc these are my symtoms doc goes first we will have a blood test then i can tell you

so i said doc why doesnt everybody just go have a blood test then come see u

bet you hes got heaps of certificates except the blood test one :laughing:

lifestyle
11-06-2008, 09:35 AM
That would be a good idea, but unfortunately they would need to take a gallon of blood to test for EVERY possible disease or infection.

The doctor says - we can narrow it down to this, that or a wingwong but we'll do some blood tests to be sure...

I can spare a couple of hundred ML's but a gallon would set me back a bit...

geejay
11-06-2008, 05:45 PM
i have had diploma qualified horticultralists working with us on sites as landscapers who are top class tradesmen in hardscaping,they do not know plants or want to know plants,they do and want to know hard landscaping.the plant and garden care side is seen as a seperate disapline.one will find the owners and leading hands are up to speed with soft and hard landscaping.there is a need and market for proffesional soft landscape trades people.

plants are a huge field and it would pay to concentrate on local garden plants. however on the landsaping side the designers can go either way,simple or compliated,which can make the garden care easy or diffcult.

m287j
12-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't have any formal qualifications yet, it hasn't stopped me from growing my business yet, i read plenty, books and via the internet. That seems to be the only educaton i have needed. :i dunno:

waterfront landscapes
13-06-2008, 04:26 PM
hey has any one herd about this fact: Landscaping job under $1200 you dont need any qualification. $1200 and above you need qualification. :i dunno:

Also all you lawnies out there with out qualifications you dnt need em. (not less your doing hard scape) i just did four years apprenticeship. and i did most self lerning on the job. cos the empolyer was more Interested in startin a business and getting me on my own doing lawns and gardening for him, which now i look back and think "why didnt i just start my own business". or leave him longer ago.

:aus-flag:

lifestyle
13-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Theres markets out there for anyone regardless of qualification.

Those that say...

"I am a qualified Horticulturalist with a 20 year work history" - will find their market.

"We do Lawn Mowing & Grdening Services, Cheap rates" - will find their market.

"We'll chuck the mower on the ute and if i can get her started we might make it there by Friday week" - heaven help their customers :dean: - but they will find their market...

m287j
13-06-2008, 07:46 PM
hey has any one herd about this fact: Landscaping job under $1200 you dont need any qualification. $1200 and above you need qualification. :i dunno:

:aus-flag:

I take it this refers to hard scaping ? I can't imagine too many hard scaping jobs costing less than $1,200 i must say.

administrator
13-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Any contruction work has to be done by a licensed Contractor .

example a retaining wall up to a certain height can be done depending regulations of each state after that height a licensed contractor or builder can do it legally

see OH&S green card thread

haireyscarie
27-08-2008, 05:31 PM
800 mm in NSW
i think
so 4 besa blocks only for me