PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been in the mowing Business ?

lifestyle
10-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I was going to do a Poll for this but this message board doesn't have that feature activated...

How long have you been in the mowing business and what got you started (lost previous job, started straight out of school etc.)

lifestyle
10-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I started straight out of school. I had always wanted to run my own business and had a keen interest in horticulture.

I started "mucking around" with a few ads in the paper and got a few jobs, this picked up slowly and in 1995 i took a year off and done a Certificate in Horticulture at TAFE. The certificate would be equilivant to todays Cert. IV.

Since then I have had businesses in Queensland, Victoria and Tasmania.

just john
10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Started up a small run as a second job about 25years ago(25-30 customers ) then went fulltime around 1990 to around 2002(100+customers).Now I mow as like a community service (20 lawns) some of the old girls I've had for 15+years ,it's more a social thing now :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

geejay
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
We have been in the garden care/landscaping design and installation business since jan 15-2008 in Melbourne inner east.Prior to that landscaping/garden care in New Zealand,Cambridge North Island for 6 years,prior to that 20 years in the nursery /landscaping business in South Africa,Southbroom,South Coast,Kwa -Zulu Natal.We still have a farm/nursery in SA that exports world wide.We coordinate business in Australia and New Zealand.Higher Diploma ,Qualified horticultrlist/landscaper and design since 1983.Current Interest : sustainable gardening,permaculture,eiffecent garden design in relatonship to garden maintentance.

geoff
10-06-2008, 08:44 PM
20 years of cutting grass and garden maintenance.... before that air traffic controller **** job stuck up in the tower seperating dumb pilots trying to stick it up you..... anyway 20 years of bliss and making good money so good i reckon ill do it forever...not like some franchise groups i have paced myself with no worn body parts as we speak... pace your self and be in it for the long haul..work smarter not harder...love sitting on the ride on...
:laughing:

BLACK BEAR
10-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Pacing your self is what is all about

BLACK BEAR
10-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Pacing your self is what it is all about I reckon! :clap: Been in it 10 yrs full time after giving it a go for 2 years previous to that and the body is just starting to feel :frightene a little tired.
Got a ride on and just starting to build jobs for that but the question is: :abcfra: What is a good way to build small to medium ride on work without trying for tenders etc? What has worked for you guys?? Care to share any secrets? :confused: The intention is to build it up to 2 days ride on, 2 days push and leave the 5th for busy times extra work etc.

63impala
11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I started mowing lawns around my house in 2000 when I was 14 Dad worked at Currumbin Santury At the time and got one of the boys to weld up a tralier for my bike mower wiper and the broom all fit on. average Lawn $15 was making a killing with my 16 clients. Left school at 16 to join the USMC because of 9/11 to Join the USMC (Marines) Mom and dad would not let me been mowing ever since.

DAJ
12-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I started mowing lawns in Sydney in 1979 after i left school got a job and found i could not work for a boss.

I built it up to a 3man ,2 van run.Sold it in 1984 and then moved up the coast and started a mower shop.

Aprox 20 years on the shop is sold and i am back mowing as of Jan 08 [Part time].

My motivation has always been to work for myself and stay outdoors.
Cheers

lifestyle
12-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Good on ya DAJ,

Besides my wife, the rest of my family think i'm a lazy slob because i choose to work 15 hours a day in my own business instead of 8 hours a day at a JOB :dean: .

I didn't say i came from an intelligent family :laughing:

DAJ
12-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I think it boils down to .If it feels good ,do it. :wave-hi:

m287j
12-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I joined this industry in 2005, after 15 years in corporate life, my last role a senior exec for a large publicly listed company.

Why the change ? The birth of my first daughter and i wanted to be able to spend time with her, to have a family life etc. Sure the income went from an obscene amount to very little, but i am getting back up there.

I have also loved gardening so that was a plus when joining the industry and i learnt a lot from my best mate, who has a large maintenance company with a turnover of $500,000 plus p.a.