PDA

View Full Version : Does Synthetic Chemicals cause genetic imbalances in Kids ?

lifestyle
21-06-2008, 09:02 AM
When i first started in this industry (about 15 years ago), I would use just about any type of available chemical to treat whatever needed treating, i didn't know any better.

I had heard of "genetics" and "chromosomes" and problems associated with chemicals etc, but it went in one ear and out the other... Apparently they reckon if we use chemicals and it gets on our skin it can be absorbed into our bodies and cause all types of mutations and cancers and the like... yeah right, more "Greenie Speak". :dean:

I just ignored it as hogwosh...

Time fly's, Next month it will be our daughters 9th Birthday. I had been working in this Industry for 6 years before she was born. I don't think Beth will know its her Birthday however, she probably doesn't even know how old she is..., she can't talk, she can't walk without help, she needs someone to feed her, her nappies need changing at least 4 or 5 times a day. Luckily her epilepsy has been under control now for a couple of years...

"Angelman Syndrome" is the result of a deletion of part of the 15th chromosome, causing severe developmetal delay, lack of speach, limited ability to walk, Epilepsy, incontenence and a list of other symptoms...

Was her disability the result of my active use of toxic chemicals; many people say it was, just as many say it wasn't... but in the end, is it worth taking a chance ?

Islandhead
21-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Sad story Lifestyle, I feel for you and your family. :who-knows

But I don't think you can blame yourself, as a human being you can only work on the knowledge you have at the time.

Now we all know about synthetic chemicals and some of their very negative effects on us and the environment and all we can do about it is use less of them (or preferably none at all) and try and educate others.

At the end of the day as one person you just have to do you bit...

recycle, reuse, use less chemicals, purchase responsibly and most of all... be kind to each other as best we can :russ: :russ:

Rob@Borlorac
21-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Very sad I really feel for your daughter and your family, I'am now wondering if roundup & weedmaster contain any of these harmful chemicals.

lifestyle
21-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Very sad I really feel for your daughter and your family, I'am now wondering if roundup & weedmaster contain any of these harmful chemicals.

Maybe they do... Maybe they don't... is it worth the risk ?

mowjoman
21-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Certainly makes you think ay.

A sad story lifestyle, I feel for you and your family, thanks for sharing it.

geejay
21-06-2008, 12:42 PM
eric understand exactly were you coming from.very tough my thoughts are with you and family.

we have a son born growth hormone deficent.he was concieved and lived his first 5 years at one of our nurseries.he was diaganosed ghd at 4 years of age and has a injection ever day of agh to compensate.he is at his corrcet height now and doing well.but i wonder like you if the chemicals had something to do with the condition.

lifestyle
21-06-2008, 01:02 PM
eric understand exactly were you coming from.very tough my thoughts are with you and family.

we have a son born growth hormone deficent.he was concieved and lived his first 5 years at one of our nurseries.he was diaganosed ghd at 4 years of age and has a injection ever day of agh to compensate.he is at his corrcet height now and doing well.but i wonder like you if the chemicals had something to do with the condition.

This probably has nothing to do with your situation but i remember reading an Article recently about how Plant growth hormone used for striking cuttings was having the opposite effect in kids born to parents working in Large scale production nurseries (reported in study)...

I'm trying to find the article, will post the link when i find it.

geejay
21-06-2008, 01:08 PM
thanks, that article would be interesting.at this particular nursery we used growth hormones on cuttings extensively.

lifestyle
21-06-2008, 01:25 PM
thanks, that article would be interesting.at this particular nursery we used growth hormones on cuttings extensively.

Couldn't find it, sorry. Will keep my eye out and let you know.

lawn order
21-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Dear Wife Stryfe
Life!
Is it worth a try?
Culpable?
Back-off on yourself
If you don’t your gunna give everyone all round you bad vibes.
You’re probably a half decent Bloke.
Anyway, I bet she is just as loveable and beautiful as your missus.
Power through the professional crap and be determined to make it work, And it will.
Be staunch to the Woman – the rewards are boundless.

lifestyle
22-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm sure we all know someone who has had cancer or other health issues that could not be put to a "cause". Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, Cousin, Work mate, Neighbour. Cancer rates have increased from 1 in 50 to 1 in 2 in less than 50 years.

The problem is there is no going back. We can't take a magic pill or drink an extra litre of water a day to flush the damage away caused by cellular mutation.

Agent Orange

Agent Orange's usage from 1961 to 1971 was by far the most used of the so-called "Rainbow Herbicides" utilized during the program. Degradation of Agent Orange (as well as Agents Purple, Pink, and Green) released dioxins, which have caused health problems for those exposed during the Vietnam War. Agents Blue and White were part of the same program but did not contain dioxins.

Studies of populations highly exposed to dioxin, though not necessarily Agent Orange, indicate increased risk of various types of cancer and genetic defects; the effect of long-term low-level exposure has not been established.

Asbestos

Asbestos was once the miracle answer to all building and construction problems. It is an indistructable material that provided strength to anything from cement to brake pads.

This "miracle material" is now known to be highly toxic. The inhalation of asbestos fibers can cause serious illnesses, including mesothelioma and asbestosis. Since the mid 1980s, many uses of asbestos have been banned in many countries.

Chlorine

Chlorine is a toxic gas that irritates the respiratory system. Because it is heavier than air, it tends to accumulate at the bottom of poorly ventilated spaces. Chlorine gas is a strong oxidizer, which may react with flammable materials.

Chlorine is detectable in concentrations of as low as 1 ppm. Coughing and vomiting may occur at 30 ppm and lung damage at 60 ppm. About 1000 ppm can be fatal after a few deep breaths of the gas. Breathing lower concentrations can aggravate the respiratory system, and exposure to the gas can irritate the eyes.

Never use ABC Dry Chemical to fight a chlorine fire, the resulting chemical reaction with the ammonium phosphate will release toxic gases and/or result in an explosion.

People who are allergic to chlorine cannot drink tap water, bathe in tap water or swim in pools.

These things were all considered "Safe" when people started using them. I asked a guy the other day how safe Roundup was... "He said that ****s that safe you could drink it..." maybe it is. But no body knew what asbestos would cause 50 years ago either.

I'm not on some "guilt trip" here. But it does pay to give it a second though before spraying chemicals... maybe "neem oil" or "vinegar" would do the same job ?

Islandhead
22-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Not to discount your fervour on this subject but have to say...

There are two main other reasons why incidence of cancer has escalated so much

1: Medical science has improved vastly and now we can diagnose much more than 50 yrs ago. A lot of deaths were down to cancer and other 'modern diseases' then but would be classed as other causes of death beacause they didnt know.

2: Because medical science has improved so have our life expectancies. This means we are alive until our bodies just cannot take it any more... hence cancer is much more prevalent. This is the main reason why dementia due to old age will be a massive drain on the health system... the older we get, the more can and will go wrong.

lifestyle
22-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Not to discount your fervour on this subject but have to say...

There are two main other reasons why incidence of cancer has escalated so much

1: Medical science has improved vastly and now we can diagnose much more than 50 yrs ago. A lot of deaths were down to cancer and other 'modern diseases' then but would be classed as other causes of death beacause they didnt know.

2: Because medical science has improved so have our life expectancies. This means we are alive until our bodies just cannot take it any more... hence cancer is much more prevalent. This is the main reason why dementia due to old age will be a massive drain on the health system... the older we get, the more can and will go wrong.

I totally agree with you on those points. However, the fact that we live longer simply means we have longer to see the side effects of Environmental pollution - through disease, cancer etc.

An Article in the Lancet Journal a few years ago stated the human body "should" live to at least 120 should other external factors not limit that.

Medical science is doing its bit to lengthen life expectancy but on the other hand is doing nothing about reducing one of the causes of the conditions they are treating.

Do we spray a lawn to get rid of moss or improve the drainage to limit the chance of the moss returning ? OR in medical terms... Do we have chemo to treat cancer or live a healthy lifestyle to prevent it ?

Islandhead
22-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I agree with your viewpoint on not using chemicals. I have been organic for many years now, I used to work for an organic nursery in the UK planting, growing, picking then delivering fresh veggies to the local community.

But I can't help feeling that you're slightly guilty of scaremongering... use of chemicals isnt good for us or the planet, agree with that completley. However if you 'preach' too fervently people switch off and the real message is lost.

If we stopped using garden chemicals I'm afraid we are not going to live 120 years... if only it was that simple.
;)

P.S. Scientists can be wrong too :wave-hi:

lifestyle
22-06-2008, 06:29 PM
My intention is just to create an active discussion. Thats what forums are for. I have a passion for organics and i write accordingly.

I'd hate to think i'm scaremongering. Thats not my intention.

For us, we do use Organic gardening methods in our business, we use organic food and drinks when ever possible (we grow a lot of our own food). We also use organic skin care and nutritional products, we have rainwater for drinking that is chlorine & fluoride free. So for us its not about not spraying chemicals in the garden, its a way of life. Its the "Lifestyle" we now choose to live.

I'm not a greenie by any measure. We need timber, we need cars, we need industry. But we could be doing more to make these things more environmentally friendly... And reducing the bloody cost of petrol...

How about an "INDYcard" to get a discount on fuel for members... woops, was i allowed to mention that here :frightene