PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the party is over...

Mrs HMS
28-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Timmy has a recurring back injury that seems to be exacerbated by what he does for a living. We've tried all sorts of different ways of doing things, all sorts of treatment with the Chiro being the most effective but still...the minutes he picks up and starts the brushcutter...bang there goes the back again.

A period of rest is pretty much the only thing that will help in the long term so we've slowly been bringing a reliable relative in to take over the business. The insurance company is soooooo bloody hard to deal with about the income protection claim...any other sort of injury seems to be far easier, back injury is such a hassle.

So he's taking some time off, will probably look for something in his old field of sales again after some recouperation time.

We're both so sad to see that our business that we struggled to build is not going to continue.

Damn getting old sucks!

haireyscarie
28-06-2008, 02:45 PM
no good
that is such a shame.
i no what you are going through(mine was my ankle/foot)
had to change ever thing i did
but you need to look at it this way
as my missus said to me
on the time scale of life this is just a bump on it.and it will pass,
you might just have to be happy with the thing you still can do.
and not worry about the things you cant do
cheer
for the future
scarie (gary)

geejay
28-06-2008, 05:44 PM
sorry to hear this.

one door closes and another will open.

best of luck.

m287j
29-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Sad news to hear, back to the good old bad corporate world for Timmy.

Hope everything works out okay for you.

lifestyle
29-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I must spend a large part of my spare time thinking i can keep my business going if i were in your position.

The ONLY positive i see in franchising a business is that people have to make a substantial investment and therefore have more of a need to be "responsible" than an employee does - The franchisee has more to lose. If you were a franchisor you could bring in a few franchisees and still make some pocket change from royalties...

Unfortunately the negatives of franchising seem to out weigh the one ot two positives...

wombat
29-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation . Hopefully you will still contribute to the forums Mrs HMS, cause quite frankly I find you the voice of reason on a number of topics here.
Best of luck to the both of you in the future. ;)

geoff
29-06-2008, 07:42 PM
well said here here ...good luck guys but i reckon you will make your own luck

forevergreen
30-06-2008, 06:03 PM
sorry to here of your situation;the best of luck for the future
life is full of ups and downs as we all know and you always seam to find a way as others have said your impute into this forum is much
appreciated

lawn order
30-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Damn getting old sucks!

It's better than the alternative.
"Joanne's" Company law / tax / anything, sounds better than being In the pen man, Go INDI at a non back stressing idea.You have abilities, {real ones, not the one we know of}.
OH&S training - Safety accreditation - whatever - I"d go to youse before a Jim Joint.
You are a more marketable asset than when you first started your tilt at INDI. Do well & keep us informed.

administrator
01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Sorry to hear that guys we know you will do well what ever happens .
Good luck in the future and keep in touch been great having you on the forum .

Business is always changing back ankle injury carpel tunnel etc is around the corner .

Have a plan ready just in case this happens to you :ebony:

No matter what situations life throws at you... no matter how long and treacherous your journey may seem...

Remember, there is a light at the end of the tunnel........

Mrs HMS
01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone, and the other kind words. Seeing as we're "paid up" members of Indi we will still haunt you all on the forum.

Yes things have changed for us but not in the way we anticipated. Gotta roll with the punches and take what life throws at you and any other metaphor I can mix in there.

In fact looking on Seek the other day for a job for Timmy I actually found one advertised that was my current job description but for a mere $30K a year extra :eek: . I applied and have an interview tomorrow. The employer is one of my biggest corporate clients too so they already know me....maybe I can bring in some extra $$ and allow Timmy to have some time off.

Ability
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Sad to hear - all the best in future - hope you stay on the forum - you insights are top of my list! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

twin_cities_lawncare
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
All the best with the job interview Joanne...good to see we women can take care of our man in more ways than one...
It's been the same here, sometimes...

mowjoman
02-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Glad to hear you'll still partake in the forum. Your posts are always of great quality, and we'd all miss your avtar too :p
All the best to yourself and Tim as you guys enter a new chapter :wave-hi:

glassngrass
16-07-2008, 08:42 PM
While it IS indeed sad when a mate or a fellow contractor can no longer continue due to health, we can use the occassion to consider how well we might cope in the same situation.

Can you support your family on a pension? Would you WANT to have to?

How many of us (especially young blokes who feel immortal) think serious injury only happens to thers? Our work is physically demanding and not without some risks/hazards, and during our time as mow-joes we will in all likelyhood experience debilitating sickness or injury at some time. How would we cope financially when the doctor bills arrive but the pennies stop rolling in, when unserviced customers make other arrangements when their lawn gets knee high and our business falls into a hole?

Any self employed contractor that continues to operate without adequate iaccident and sickness protection insurance (also liability) needs his head read!

I urge you, seek advice on good income protection insurance BEFORE the next season starts. INDY is a great place to start for pre-negotiated great rates on suitable policies.

Mrs HMS
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Just a quick update...after some rest 'n' recouperation Timmy has today got himself a new job...back in the sales field but he seems pretty happy with it all. He (being a Holden man) is particularly chuffed with his new company car which he picks up in a few days.

NB: Holden haters...click at your own peril :)

http://www.holdencampaign.com.au/60/com ... #/colours/

and thanks so much to everyone who wished us well, it was just fantastic and another example of what a supportive community this is.

Mrs HMS
07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
ah in true puter idiot fashion I managed to stuff up the URL..

can we add the "edit post" function to the member wishlist?

here tis again...http://www.holdencampaign.com.au/60/commodore.html#/colours/

and this time I checked before I hit submit

Sandgroper
08-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Well done Timmy, now the missus needs to land that job and hopefully you bring in more $$$ than ever before . :cheer:

haireyscarie
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
so how is it all going for you guys now
timmy still driven the flash car
with the new job
how did you go with your work
is timmy getting better
these are the thing the people want to no
i hope it is all going well
cheers
scarie (gary)

Mrs HMS
13-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Gary, thanks for your concern.

The new job is going well, Timmy is enjoying it...even the travel and being away every second week. We've worked out the nitty gritty of how to organise things when he's away. The company he works for are kinda old fashioned and treat their employees like family, keep telling him he's not submitting enough expenses when he's away (they pay for everything), when he said he didn't think if appropriate that he ask them to pay for the beer he has with his dinner the boss told him not to be stupid and put the bar tab in the company credit card....gotta love boss sanctioned booze!

Yes he still drives "his baby" which I sometimes think he just a little too fond of :rolleyes: Although it's lovely to drive and I take it every chance I get...my car is 10 years old now and looking a little worse for wear after being the HMS vehicle.

His health is still not so good, although at least he hasn't had another passing out and smacking the head episode. The BP is still a worry and they are having trouble controlling it. It would of course help if he did what he was told to a) do and b) not do, by his Dr's instead of thinking if he ignores it, it'll all just go away. Apparently, according to his cardiologist, men in his age group are notorious for this.

My work, whilst I love what I do, is frustrating the hell out of me at the moment, basically because we have a new practice manager who has nfi about anything and I spend all my time doing his job for him so our company doesn't grind to a halt. He of course gets paid the big $$ for all my effort. His lack of ability has finally been noticed by the powers that be, so for now I will "suck it up princess" :p and hopefully a promotion will come my way eventually.... :i dunno:

On the whole life is treating us well!

Bluey
13-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi Gary, thanks for your concern.

The new job is going well, Timmy is enjoying it...even the travel and being away every second week. We've worked out the nitty gritty of how to organise things when he's away. The company he works for are kinda old fashioned and treat their employees like family, keep telling him he's not submitting enough expenses when he's away (they pay for everything), when he said he didn't think if appropriate that he ask them to pay for the beer he has with his dinner the boss told him not to be stupid and put the bar tab in the company credit card....gotta love boss sanctioned booze!

Yes he still drives "his baby" which I sometimes think he just a little too fond of :rolleyes: Although it's lovely to drive and I take it every chance I get...my car is 10 years old now and looking a little worse for wear after being the HMS vehicle.

His health is still not so good, although at least he hasn't had another passing out and smacking the head episode. The BP is still a worry and they are having trouble controlling it. It would of course help if he did what he was told to a) do and b) not do, by his Dr's instead of thinking if he ignores it, it'll all just go away. Apparently, according to his cardiologist, men in his age group are notorious for this.

My work, whilst I love what I do, is frustrating the hell out of me at the moment, basically because we have a new practice manager who has nfi about anything and I spend all my time doing his job for him so our company doesn't grind to a halt. He of course gets paid the big $$ for all my effort. His lack of ability has finally been noticed by the powers that be, so for now I will "suck it up princess" :p and hopefully a promotion will come my way eventually.... :i dunno:

On the whole life is treating us well!

Good to hear Joanne. Glad everything is working out. BTW what is Timmy's age group. I have sneaking suspicion I am in it..lol

Mrs HMS
13-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Good to hear Joanne. Glad everything is working out. BTW what is Timmy's age group. I have sneaking suspicion I am in it..lol

:laughing: the age bracket in question is 40-45 apparently :laughing: :laughing:

Bluey
13-03-2009, 06:58 PM
:laughing: the age bracket in question is 40-45 apparently :laughing: :laughing:

Wheeeew...then I am in the clear...45 to 50 for me :cool:

haireyscarie
13-03-2009, 07:03 PM
good to here
take care timmy
and do what the doc says :who-knows