PDA

View Full Version : Honda 216 gearbox

simo
03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi all Just finished putting new clutch gears in my 2yr old Honda 216, Bolted it altogether but darned if I can find a filler hole to put new oil in ?? any help much needed. Thanks

simo
04-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Done it found an ajustment bolt that goes through to inside the gearbox and put 250ml oil in goes like a new one.. :) (no replies to this thread but if anybody is thinking of fixing a 3speed box give it a go easy peasy and only $80 of parts)..reco box aprox $250-300 from mower shop.

administrator
04-07-2008, 03:18 PM
dead right three speed gearbox 249 dollars

mowjoman
04-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Nice work Simo. Hopefully I wont have to give ya a yell for your knowledge but the reputation of these g/boxes are what they are. :wave-hi:

Eastwood
14-01-2010, 06:09 AM
My 216 s/p s**t itself yesterday checked back wheels and shaft and cable all seem to be ok just wont engage, suspect its in the sealed unit. 216 is only 7 months old. Anyone got any idea what else it could be.

Sandgroper
14-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I also have a question,,the self propelled has not really worked for a few weeks i just push it,,is it a simple adjustment to adjust the clutch or do i need a new one ?

AB318
14-01-2010, 07:33 PM
My 216 s/p s**t itself yesterday checked back wheels and shaft and cable all seem to be ok just wont engage, suspect its in the sealed unit. 216 is only 7 months old. Anyone got any idea what else it could be.

Check you haven't sheared the pin at either end of the drive shaft.
Often they hold enough to look like they are still attached but let go under load

redbackmowing
16-01-2010, 04:50 PM

my 1st 21" honda the gearbox died about 10 months - then next one about the same. cost for repairs i think around $200-$300 was i long time ago. after second time said stuff it just push the bugger. it lasted about another 2 years before motor died. heavy to push up hill with full catcher. when back to the 19'' & used them ever since.

cheers
rbm

simo
16-01-2010, 07:46 PM
i replaced the clutch on 2 of my hondas if you are mechanicaly minded have a basic tool kit it can be done in a couple of hrs..First pull the axle and gear box out by removing all nuts and bolts holding it in place , put it on the bench undo the bolts holding the middle section of the gear box together (make sure you have an old towl under it to catch the oil )carfully slide one side of the box along the axle to split the box in half ,inside there are 3 gears these are the drive gears (dont` remove these) next to them are 2 gears that slide together same as a clutch works you will need to remove these one side of the box housing needs to be taken off the axle and replace them with new ones (on mine they still looked new but on closer inspection and inspection from the local mower mech it was worn featherd on the edges) new ones were approx $80 ..then put it all back together the same way it came apart..Fill it with 200-300ml of motor oil at the top of the box there is a bolt which is the filler hole .. phew..Then have a beer ..

Arfa Brayne
18-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Check you haven't sheared the pin at either end of the drive shaft.
Often they hold enough to look like they are still attached but let go under load

as well as the above quote

Every so often a nut (turpentine, hakea or similar) or bit of stick/rock can get jammed in the lever on the gearbox that operates the clutch, and jam the clutch open = no drive. Just check this before you spend money on parts or repairs.

Bluey
18-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Every so often a nut (turpentine, hakea or similar) or bit of stick/rock can get jammed in the lever on the gearbox that operates the clutch, and jam the clutch open = no drive. Just check this before you spend money on parts or repairs.

Pay that one Arfa. Good bit of advice.

ian
18-01-2010, 05:05 PM
plenty of advise on what it could be but if it's not one of these remember to try jumping up and down about there warranty

Eastwood
18-01-2010, 05:45 PM
As an ex Qld premier used to say "don't you worry about that"

Bluey
18-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Ahhh good old Sir Joh. Pity he wasn't still around to sort out some of these pansie pollies we have now. Like him or hate him he had the guts to stand up for what he thought was the right thing. I loved the way he attacked the media. Apart from being one eyed and a bit corrupt he wasn't a bad politician.

redbackmowing
18-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Ahhh good old Sir Joh. Pity he wasn't still around to sort out some of these pansie pollies we have now. Like him or hate him he had the guts to stand up for what he thought was the right thing. I loved the way he attacked the media. Apart from being one eyed and a bit corrupt he wasn't a bad politician.

yes he had character & was the Deen Brothers best customer :laughing: :laughing:

Eastwood
19-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks Arfa Brayne, you was spot on. A stone was jammed in the lever on the gearbox,good advice.

Arfa Brayne
19-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks Arfa Brayne, you was spot on. A stone was jammed in the lever on the gearbox,good advice.

Glad I could help Ace.

Bgs
01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
i replaced the clutch on 2 of my hondas if you are mechanicaly minded have a basic tool kit it can be done in a couple of hrs..First pull the axle and gear box out by removing all nuts and bolts holding it in place , put it on the bench undo the bolts holding the middle section of the gear box together (make sure you have an old towl under it to catch the oil )carfully slide one side of the box along the axle to split the box in half ,inside there are 3 gears these are the drive gears (dont` remove these) next to them are 2 gears that slide together same as a clutch works you will need to remove these one side of the box housing needs to be taken off the axle and replace them with new ones (on mine they still looked new but on closer inspection and inspection from the local mower mech it was worn featherd on the edges) new ones were approx $80 ..then put it all back together the same way it came apart..Fill it with 200-300ml of motor oil at the top of the box there is a bolt which is the filler hole .. phew..Then have a beer ..

Thanks for the instructions Simo bout have a go myself :frightene:frightene

NLALM
08-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Just blew a gearbox up in the chonda. It was a genuine box after the original box went with the drive shaft after a few months, got nearly 18 months out of the genuine. I cant drop anymore money on this mower so it goes to the scrap heap , problem is it was the offsiders mower he is so hard on gear its not funny, I don't know if I should buy another chonda, I know he cant handle the blade brake on the genuine Honda, or my other thought is to get rid of the offsider, and get rid of my hard jobs work solo and have less stress, less expense and go for a surf

imoww
08-12-2013, 08:01 PM
"less expense and go for a surf" sounds like a better option.....
You will live longer and enjoy the work more...

Just blew a gearbox up in the chonda. It was a genuine box after the original box went with the drive shaft after a few months, got nearly 18 months out of the genuine. I cant drop anymore money on this mower so it goes to the scrap heap , problem is it was the offsiders mower he is so hard on gear its not funny, I don't know if I should buy another chonda, I know he cant handle the blade brake on the genuine Honda, or my other thought is to get rid of the offsider, and get rid of my hard jobs work solo and have less stress, less expense and go for a surf

Redeye
08-12-2013, 08:33 PM
what he said!!!

PaulG
09-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Sell the jobs you don't want to do to the offsider so he starts his own round, make some extra cash for yourself and still go for a surf :)

AJD Mowing
09-12-2013, 07:33 PM

What was the gearbox doing? what are the symptoms Nlalm? I thought mine had blown up but Greenie has a simple fix. Its a chonda and been going every day now for over 3 years and still feels like new.. Whats it doing mate??

HPM
09-12-2013, 09:53 PM
You need more ride on jobs and less push mowing... Swap the offsider for a walker..

NLALM
10-12-2013, 06:04 PM
What was the gearbox doing? what are the symptoms Nlalm? I thought mine had blown up but Greenie has a simple fix. Its a chonda and been going every day now for over 3 years and still feels like new.. Whats it doing mate??

It was jerking like they do so I adjusted the arm on the box like greenie does, it went really good for a few days then lost drive altogether I couldn't be bothered stuffing about with it so I took it to the mechanic they told me it was rooted, I could put a new one in but the mower has done some work, I just replaced the base not long ago. The day it broke we had done 2 lawns and then he comes to me that its stuffed, it had a brand new set of blades that morning and when I had a look they were bent so bad that it wouldn't cut nice anyway, so he has hit something hard ,that could of broke something in the box

NLALM
10-12-2013, 06:05 PM
You need more ride on jobs and less push mowing... Swap the offsider for a walker..

where's your list??? My walker is for sale

AJD Mowing
10-12-2013, 06:14 PM
It was jerking like they do so I adjusted the arm on the box like greenie does, it went really good for a few days then lost drive altogether I couldn't be bothered stuffing about with it so I took it to the mechanic they told me it was rooted, I could put a new one in but the mower has done some work, I just replaced the base not long ago. The day it broke we had done 2 lawns and then he comes to me that its stuffed, it had a brand new set of blades that morning and when I had a look they were bent so bad that it wouldn't cut nice anyway, so he has hit something hard ,that could of broke something in the box

Nlalm that happened to me. It starts to clunk then one day it just doesn't work no matter ho much playing around adjusting. My advise would be to PM Greenie and ask him what to do. I think Imow would back me up as he had it done as well.

How is your gearbox Matt? is it ok??

Chris B
10-12-2013, 07:53 PM
cable have any adjustment left?

Alex
19-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Hi simo, just put my gearbox back together and tried putting oil into it through the adjustment bolt up the top (see picture) but there seems to be a blockage. Inside the bolt hole there is a little spring, which I took out but then it is still blocked by something else. Am I looking at the right adjustment bolt?

a1 valet
19-10-2014, 07:30 AM
is that all you got is ten months? I herd they last about 2 years from the dealer, I just bought my first 21inch self propelled Honda. I hope I don't get ten months out of it. Is there any maintenance you can do to get it to last longer? Ben

Alex
19-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Figured it out, the bolt is the right one, just had to tap the housing a bit to get the little ball and housing out. Then it was just a matter of getting the oil in. Thanks everybody.