PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for advice but need more.

time for a change
21-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi all,
Basically I have bought my ute and it cost a lot more then I wanted but I needed something that was reliable. So now I have run into the problem that for the equipment that I need I do not have the money there to get what I wanted. So I have been doing a little searching around and I was looking at buying some cheap equipment for the time being until I get my customer base up and I have the money to buy the good stuff i.e. Honda.
Do you think that this is the way to go or should I keep saving the pennys and just buy the good equipment straight of the bat. The problem with doing it this way is I am not going to be out mowing lawns and obtaining customers.
I was actually looking at GWC from bunnings for my equipment. The other reason that I was looking at doing it this way is I will have 2 off everything and I think that having a spare is good even if the spare is not of the best of quality.
Oh yes sorry forgot to mention doing it this way also leaves me with a bit off cash for advertising.

time for a change
21-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Sorry I missed something in there the equipment that I am looking at isn't just GWC it is GWC brush cutter and blower and a Rover mower. Also a 25cc hedge trimmer. I am hoping that this is going to do until it all gets up and running.
And the other thing that I would like to now is what do you guys use for clippings storage. When I mowed lawns as a off sider a long time a ago we used the old potato sacks but I do not know where to go to get them.

63impala
21-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey look for second hand equipment you can get a good stihl for under 300 if you keep looking dont by that gmc crap,When i used to use the free tip {puplic} I would alwas see Gmc brushcutters and blower in the skip they are **** and for garden bags just get the rover ones from bunnings 3 for $7.50.

time for a change
21-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey look for second hand equipment you can get a good stihl for under 300 if you keep looking dont by that gmc crap,When i used to use the free tip {puplic} I would alwas see Gmc brushcutters and blower in the skip they are **** and for garden bags just get the rover ones from bunnings 3 for $7.50.

I will not be going for the GMC stuff I have had some time to do some thinking today and I want my company to be about quality and I think to do a quality job you need quality tools so I am going to keep having a look around I actually spoke to my local lawn mowing shop and they said they will be able to put together a nice package deal for a good price so I am going to see them this afternoon.

geejay
21-07-2008, 03:26 PM
if the ute is paid cash one could go to a co like angel finance.ask if you can use the ute as security to purchase good commercial equipment.go to angel with a business plan/budget ect,how much net money you can make after costs of running business/living etc,so you show you can pay the loan off.keep your cash for advertising,as the work comes in pay the loan off.or approach a uncle,aunt,mom to stand as a guarntor for a small loan for equipment.Don't forget to budget for insurance for the equipment,to join indi,and personal liablity insurance.Look at Dean's starter kits for equipment.

m287j
21-07-2008, 07:31 PM
It is always a good idea to join Indy and get your equipment through Dean, i bought the starter pack off him when i first started.

If you can't afford that then have a look on ebay for good 2nd hand commercial brands.

Enjoy your new venture.

time for a change
22-07-2008, 08:58 AM
if the ute is paid cash one could go to a co like angel finance.ask if you can use the ute as security to purchase good commercial equipment.go to angel with a business plan/budget ect,how much net money you can make after costs of running business/living etc,so you show you can pay the loan off.keep your cash for advertising,as the work comes in pay the loan off.or approach a uncle,aunt,mom to stand as a guarntor for a small loan for equipment.Don't forget to budget for insurance for the equipment,to join indi,and personal liablity insurance.Look at Dean's starter kits for equipment.

Thank you for the advice but I am currently working full time and I really do not need to get a loan and to tell you the truth I was trying to do all of this with out any finance at all. For the sheer self accomplishment factor. I did buy the ute with cash so it is owned by me and that is how I want everything to be. The thought of over heads without a steady customer base scares me so I am just going to keep looking until I find the gear that I want for the best price possible.

time for a change
22-07-2008, 09:00 AM
It is always a good idea to join Indy and get your equipment through Dean, i bought the starter pack off him when i first started.

If you can't afford that then have a look on ebay for good 2nd hand commercial brands.

Enjoy your new venture.

I am going to join indy but I will not be getting the starter pack I am very surprised at how much equipment is going on ebay so I am either looking at getting some good second hand gear.
I was planning on getting the honda self propelled but it is out of my budget so I am going to have to get a push mower if I go for brand new equipment.

geejay
22-07-2008, 02:53 PM
many ways of setting yourself up.a really good mate bought a well known franchise,gear,ute everything on finance,he says the debt motivates him,he pays it all off and takes on more debt,he is very successful and highly motivated contractor,a milionare.works 7 days a week,takes one month off in winter,holidays in northern hemishere summer,spain.for me iam the opposite,start small,every-thing payed cash,grow slowly,smell the roses and grow into it.its amazing that we are mates so diffrent,but we respect each others views,i think..........

many ways to view the world,depends where you standing.

one thing that I would highly recomend is Deans"Fast Track to Sucess".we started jan 15 08,applied Deans advice and mentoring,and have been busy full time since,dip in winter,regulars pulling us through, and work pouring in last two weeks,spring is about to sproung,booooooooooom a way we go.If you are seriuos go for it with indi all the way,cannot go wrong.

tree beard
22-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi TFC
Im just gearing up for this season as well and the funds are well... scarce but had a little boon! I dont know if you can look into it. I spoke to quite a few people re money, finance and lease. Because of the American sub prime thing most of the easy stuff (reads high risk) is non existant! I was told to get a credit card and put it on that! Sounds like sudden death right!!! ANZ offered me a credit card with 2.99% intrest for 12 months on any transferred balance soooooo! I took up their card offer purchased some gear on my regular credit card and transferred the balance. BIG CATCH...after 12 months the deal turns to poison and hits 20% so I also have motovation to pay it out in that time or roll it over to a personal loan. Yes the completion date is in my diary and on my phone. Its only a couple of thousand for a basic set up but at least my gear wont let me down and I wont look like a weekend warrior

Bgs
23-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I saw a jims using a GMC blower the other day cant be that bad lol :p

I know your probally as keen as mustard to get going but if you are working full time at the moment I would keep working until you have the cash for the right equipment,

Especially given you said you were going to get two of everything for a bit more your better off getting one quality item instead of two cheapies.

I did it the other way round and by my second month it was blatantly obvious I had wasted money by getting cheap stuff.

time for a change
29-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I saw a jims using a GMC blower the other day cant be that bad lol :p

I know your probally as keen as mustard to get going but if you are working full time at the moment I would keep working until you have the cash for the right equipment,

Especially given you said you were going to get two of everything for a bit more your better off getting one quality item instead of two cheapies.

I did it the other way round and by my second month it was blatantly obvious I had wasted money by getting cheap stuff.

This is exactly what I am doing I am working full time at the moment and I am just saving every penny so I can get this up and running. I have been to my local mower shop and they are doing me a great deal on Honda commercial equipment.
I do not want the worry of having finance for anything I would rather pay for everything cash and then every cent earned goes toward my wage not to the finance company.

gjs
29-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi time for a change

Good gear is way to go, I started with cheap china crap and that is what it was chain saw threw chains, blower would not start easy,
wasting time and patience.
I did start with the Honda 216 self prop
stihl edger and snipper so they saved me.
Some poor contractors get conned by sales people trying to say that Victa commercial is what the contractors are using and most of these guys are burnt out by the end of week.

Regards
gjs