PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newbie. Lawnmowing Business

Lee Fender
29-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Hi everyone,
After 11 years in the Navy, I have decided to start my own mowing business here in Perth, The one thing that concerns me is how to work outwhat to quote for each mow and each edging, any help on how to price it up would be fantastic
Thanks

Lee

mowjoman
30-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Welcome Lee.
One thing I could suggest (prices seem to vary from place to place) is to get family and friends etc to get a contractor around to quote on cutting thier lawn and then compare it to what you would reckon. :wave-hi:

Lee Fender
31-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a good way to start out actually, Thanks. Will not be starting work until early october so will give that a go. This is a fantastic forum I intend on subscribing on payday. There is so much knowledge to gain from this site, and I only found it accidentally whilst looking for a brushcutter. Looking forward to learning alot from you all.

Thanks

glassngrass
31-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Welcome Lee.
One thing I could suggest ... to get family and friends etc to get a contractor around to quote on cutting thier lawn and then compare it to what you would reckon. :wave-hi:

Whilst this might provide the information you want, would YOU want to be misused that way? :( You too will soon get 'miffed' with time-wasters who ring around hoping to save five dollars.

Lee Fender
31-07-2008, 06:57 PM
A good point to make David, I would hate that so maybe I need to reconsider, The wifes best mates husband is in the business, He has said that he generally charges a dollar a minute, Is that reasonable?? I really am not sure. Are ther any WA based fellas out there who can say that is a general rule. I just don't want to fail by overcharging, but also not sell myself short

administrator
31-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Lee ring Dean 1800501662 hes also ex navy think he joined in 1974 Collins Division he owns this site , sure hell be glad to chat to an ex pusser and he will let u know what you need to know

Admin :aus-flag:

Lee Fender
31-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Will definitely give dean a call thanks. I am really excited about moving on from the pus and being my own boss, Bit nervous aswell as i have a missus and an 8 month old, But am sure you all were when you started. This is definitely the way I want to go, I just need as much advice as possible to make it work,

Cheers

mowjoman
31-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Whilst this might provide the information you want, would YOU want to be misused that way? :( You too will soon get 'miffed' with time-wasters who ring around hoping to save five dollars.

You do make a valid point Glassngrass, but I disagree.
I personally didnt have to do it as I bought established but if I started from scratch I certainly would've. I have spoken to mates or aquaintances that have had work done and I've asked them what they paid to satisfy my own curiosity (not quite the same I know), but quoting is part of our every day life and you get some and you miss some and certainly is frustrating when you miss em'. We've all most likely been used in the way I've suggested and been none the wiser...ahhhhh...ignorance is bliss, but one has to start somewhere. :i dunno:

glassngrass
31-07-2008, 11:15 PM
... The wifes best mates husband is in the business, He has said that he generally charges a dollar a minute, Is that reasonable?? ... I just don't want to fail by overcharging, but also not sell myself short
Lee
In drought affected regional affected Victoria I can't charge more that $40/hour, likely you would get $60 easily in one of the cities. A golden rule I learned is to charge what the market can bear. To start off and build your business you might start out cheaper. It is advantageous to be seen busy around town. As you build up your customer base, increase your rates gradually for new (and some exisiting) customers. You will lose some, but these will be replaced by more the profitable ones. I think you will readily recognise what your market can bear easily enough.
A dollar a minute! I certainly think MY efforts are worth that, but my market just won't accept that. Instead, ILMCOA's 'Fast Track to Success' suggests not revealing your rate at all, but to quote by the job. The customer knows what he's up for beforehand and the finished product is what he pays for - gives you incentive to work harder/faster to get to next paying job! You WILL make mistakes in quoting, but are sure to learn fast! :laughing:

You do make a valid point Glassngrass, but I disagree.
I have spoken to mates or aquaintances that have had work done and I've asked them what they paid to satisfy my own curiosity (not quite the same I know), but quoting is part of our every day life and you get some and you miss some and certainly is frustrating when you miss em'. We've all most likely been used in the way I've suggested and been none the wiser...
Correct!-asking family & friends what they have paid to get work done is NOT the same as getting them to call other contractors in to quote as to do your market research for you. It might give you ball-park figures to start you off, but won't help much in determining what the market can bear (what you should charge).
Again, would YOU want to be misused that way? Would you want others to be encouraged to do so? - The old "do unto others" rule holds true - "What goes around-comes around" hey!
What's the harm is striking up a conversation with the competition? They may be more that willing to share info - even as we do on this forum! :p

mowjoman
01-08-2008, 06:47 AM
True, true. The simple answer is no, I wouldn't want to be "misused" that way but I'm sure I have been, I'm you have been also. You've read the fastrak to success, in there it sugests this very thing, or getting a contractor to come and quote your own lawn...I personally believe its quite harmless and Lee you do have the advantage of discovering this forum which will help you invaluably as it has all of us.

Some great info on pricing Glass and grass (hence this forum being a great tool), but I would say sound out your opposition first before you get into too much detail about prices.
E.g...I have a couple of lawnies in this town I like and trust but one of them was telling me about this other bottom feeder that pulled up for a "friendly" chat on the job one day. The conversation evolved and ol" mate asked, "so whatcha do this lawn for then?" My mate told him ($90 bucks I think it was) now this bloke has gone to the owner and told him he'd do it for $80 and now has the job. :boxer:
In my opinion this is not healthy competion but it is healthy to know that maggots like this exist in our industry.

Sorry I hope I haven't sent this thread off topic. :wave-hi:

glassngrass
01-08-2008, 07:16 AM
No offense mowjoman! - I got broad shoulders. :laughing:
Thing I like about this forum is we can exchange views and even disagree without hostility.
Ignorance may at times be 'bliss', but you and I aren't ignorant. We both recognise that although it is likely we have been abused by some contractors whose friends ring for them to find out what we would quote without any intention of accepting any, we don't want to be treated that way. Might encouranging a newbie to go down the same path might appeaer a tad hypocritical? :i dunno:
Sadly our industry has it's fair shair of bottom feeders. I am determined not to see how close I can act like one without actually becoming one! :rolleyes:

geejay
01-08-2008, 08:49 AM
all industires price each other,landscaping industries produce pricing guides for members,compiled on info' from contrators in the industry.the franchises in this industry price us and each other,they have meetings to discuss pricing and other relevant issues.as a indi starting one does not have these resources available to you.Thus having contractors around to price your garden,friends gardens etc in a correct manner will give one vital infomation to survival.This can be done at several stages of the development of the round .

mowjoman
01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
None taken glass and grass. Your right its great to be able to discuss a variety of opinions without hostility. But I agree with Geejay :laughing:
I hope all this has helped Lee :laughing:

Sandgroper
01-08-2008, 08:53 PM
He has said that he generally charges a dollar a minute, Is that reasonable?? I really am not sure. Are ther any WA based fellas out there who can say that is a general rule. I just don't want to fail by overcharging, but also not sell myself short

A dollar a minutes been banded around the place for years, the cost of living has gone up after all , i suggest $65 an hours more reasonable for the 2008/09 season, here in Perth the average lawn is around $35 but a few are now making the move to $40 minimun front and back.

It can depend on what area you are in Perth as well, ring the W.A lawnmowing assocation and they will give you all the info you need,,cheers :)

Lee Fender
01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks Sandgroper,
I will be in the Jindalee/kinross area up by Joondalup, appreciate the input mate.

Lee Fender
02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Just received my new business cards this morning, very pleased with them and they gave me 50 fridge magnets identical to the cards as a sweetner, think that might be a good idea, anyone else used them for advertising and if so, do you think they have made a difference?

Sandgroper
02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks Sandgroper,
I will be in the Jindalee/kinross area up by Joondalup, appreciate the input mate.

Sounds like a good area and its growing fast up there, i don't have fridge magnets but i have heard they are a great idea, you can get calls from them in years to come and friends and realitives can notice them on peoples fridges.

Good luck with the business, winters the toughest time of the year to start,,around 7-8 contractors pulled the pin around here last winter, they could not survive, but come late September the grass will be growing again. :)

Sandgroper
02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
BTW> Fridge magnets are commonly given to regular customers, while business cards are handed out to all comers, magnets normally cost more so handing them out willy nilly to any price shopper can be expensive.

Flyers or cards are put in the houses surrounding the ones you have so you group all your lawns together and not driving a mile between lawns.

cammos
08-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Lee - It sounds like you will be right in the thick of where I work. I live in Butler, and most of my work is in Iluka. I can tell you that there is plenty of work out there for those who will provide a great service. For this reason it is worth spending more time focusing on your skills and time management, rather than worrying about getting the prices to-the-minute correct.

If you want to get an idea on prices, give me a call, and I will help you with it. I would rather that than getting backdoored on a quote. I have too many customers as it stands, so I am not concerned about getting yours. To be honest, I would be happier helping you to get your prices up. It makes for a better industry.

Now, just so you know, I am a Jim, and I run a very successful, profitable, single man mowing business. If you want to talk to me, I am on 04*****183. And no, I won't try to convert you. Otherwise, I drive a red Pajero with a tandem trailer. If you see me around, stop me and say G'day.

Lee Fender
09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks Cammos,
Will look around for you and will certainly give you a call, Will be moving to Jindalee in 8 weeks temporarily until moving into our place in Kinross, The area is certainly growng fast so confident I can make it work. Been practicing the edging as I just bought a D & F commercial, Also, I have a Stihl 2 stroke brush cutter, but is a pain to start so getting a new one, what do you recommend and do you think a 4 stroke would be more suitable for a mowing business

Cheers

Lee

cammos
09-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I went with a Shindaiwa T260 when I switched over last November. I wanted a C4 (4 cycle - not 4 stroke) one, but stocks were not available so settled on the old 2 stroke. Was the best thing from the feedback I have had from others. Had a go with a C4, heaps of torque for the long stuff, but takes it out of my back with the extra weight.

I pretty much always use Northside in Balcatta for servicing and repairs, so no dramas with parts and back up if required. I didn't really look at the Stihl. There is a brochure out comparing the 2 and their components. Once I saw it it made the choice pretty easy for me.

Getting used to your edger will probably be the toughest thing. Remember if the head starts to shudder side to side you need more revs. After the motor went on mine, I upgraded to the 5.5hp Honda. It makes quite a difference. I am sure if you ask around your street you will have plenty of takers to practise on.

Thanks for the edit too admin, after I did that I thought it may prove to be foolish.

cammos
09-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Also, you have to choke the C4 gear every single time you start it. Even after a 30 second refuel.

63impala
09-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I have 2 honda brushes One 25cc and 35cc With bull bars but I befere my Stihl sh85 never let me down but the hondas are dam good.

Sandgroper
10-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Also, you have to choke the C4 gear every single time you start it. Even after a 30 second refuel.

Right, i thought there was something wrong with mind,good tip for me to remember thanks.

bazzaroo42
13-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Must be something about ex pussers and lawn mowing. I too am an ex pusser. Have been a member for a while but this is my first post.

Have just started up and am debating whether or not to buy a mulcher to avoid trips to the tip.

Found this site to be very useful and look forward to posting more in the future!!!

glassngrass
14-08-2008, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=bazzaroo42]Have just started up and am debating whether or not to buy a mulcher to avoid trips to the tip.
QUOTE]

Do you have sufficient market to get rid of the chips?

Perhaps $800 or more for petrol powered mulcher. Fine for occassional small trees/shrubs, otherwise you'd spend all day feeding the mulcher for so little at the end! Two hours chipping would not likely yield anywhere near a cubic meter.

You could spend many thousands on a commercial chipper that 'eats' trees for breakfast -like the arborists use. Fresh chips are not good for the garden - suck the nitrogen out of the soil. Could you store chips for a few months until they 'cool down'? Would you load them by hand or get a bobcat or mini-digger to load your trailer?

I bought a petrol powered "Chipper Chopper" for $650 but never use because feeding it is so time consuming - earn more going to the tip and charging the customer for the priviledge.

Here's two I found :
$950.00 SupaSwift RGS50 XM50 40mm (1 1/2") Petrol Garden Recyler

$3,599 SupaSwift BMS9H 9hp 80mm (3") Pro Chipper Shredder
Honda GX270 9hp OHV Commercial Engine

Do the math.

bazzaroo42
14-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Food for thought.

I do have a ready market for the chips and a place to store them. Every time I have a ute load I could drop them at a mates property where they'd have all the time in the world to cool down.

Was just thinking while time is likely to get tight over spring/summer it would save time/fuel going to the tip and have done a few cleanups lately which has led me to look into it.

Thanks for the advice.

63impala
14-08-2008, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=bazzaroo42]Food for thought.

I do have a ready market for the chips and a place to store them. Every time I have a ute load I could drop them at a mates property where they'd have all the time in the world to cool down.

Was just thinking while time is likely to get tight over spring/summer it would save time/fuel going to the tip and have done a few cleanups lately which has led me to look into it.

Thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE

Hey bazz look up red roo mulchers you can pick them up second hand,look at the web site and watch the videos on the mulchers.you can usally pick them up for aroung $2500-3500 SH, with thoes bad boys it would not take long to emty a full tralier.

Mowjoe
14-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Another way of get rid of cuttings is get to know a local tree lopper, they usually have a chipper.

I have one who does all my large pruning jobs. If I do one and it's to much to fit into my trailer I place it on the nature strip and the tree loppers come past and chip it for me.

He usually charges $100 + gst

They have saved my back on a number of occassions. They also provide cheap leaf mulch for gardens at a cut value price.

Hope this helps.

Lee Fender
16-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Well I am finished in the Navy and had my first real customer last week,Was very satsfying. I did a great job if I do say so myself and they have asked that I come back every fortnight for a regular full maintenence job, The owner is a property manager too so will be putting plenty of work my way. I took the advice and did a few for friends and family first to get me confident in myself and am already so much more relaxed doing what I enjoy. Heres hoping for a prosperous summer to make back some of the money I shelled out.

Cheers guys

haireyscarie
16-09-2008, 04:42 PM
GOOD 1
you will have the time of your life
i get to take the young bloke to shcool and pick him up .
all the other kids when they were growing up never seen me much,let alone picking them up from school
then a few jobs inbetween
LOL
i love it

mowjoman
16-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Congratulations Lee. Feels good ay.
Same as you scarie...today for example, my daughter was crook and had to stay home from school, mowjowoman works so I pamper my little lady for a while without the normal morning rush involved on any other given day then drop her off at her grandparents house at about 10am for a few hrs and stop and pick her up when I'm done. I'll pick up the others tomorrow...
Self employment....More than a job...its a lifestyle :cool:

NWGL
16-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Well done Lee.

The first of many happy customers :russ: