PDA

View Full Version : cold shoulder-SHINDAWA on m2510c4.

geejay
05-08-2008, 05:20 PM
its a funny human trait that when confronted with a problem we skirt around it hoping that is will go away,but it does not,until one tackles it,mucks through it,works at it,this is how problems are solved.SHINDAWA is doing the skirting around with our problematic m2510/c4 tool carrier that has a re occuring problem of losing power in damp moist morning conditions.we can not get a difinative answer from the dealer or Shindawa Brisbane on what and how this problem can be solved.The machine purchased in Jan 08 is fully serviced by the dealer.The problem started in May 08 afer 40 hrs of running.

administrator
05-08-2008, 07:40 PM
put opti 2 fuel conditioner in it and let us know how it goes

geejay
05-08-2008, 08:09 PM
thanks mate.

the dealer recomended Optima 2 fuel stablizer when we purcahsed the machine from him,we have used it at his recomended rate of 50:1 since we started.all the c4 machines we have run with Optima 2 since the start.these machines have the same motor as the m2510/c4 tool carrier but do not(as yet) have the same problem in cool moist morning weather.the humdity this am was 80%,thick,moist heavy air,brand new filter, and no pre filter, from the dealer installed,same problem,5 minutes run,then a gradual decrease of power,then out,have to leave it for 20 minutes,start again,runs,10minutes,then out.This will carry on until around 11am until thick moist air has disapated,then she will purr along.On Monday the humidty was low,weather overcast and coolish,same machine purred along all morning,doing 1.5 hours continiuos w/s without a miss of a beat.this afternoon same machine,pole prunned a conifer for an hour,did not miss abeat.

Thick moist damp air is intiating the problem.The pre filter will be damp,you put it in your hand and you can feel he dampness.the dealer gave us a new main filter and asked us to remove the pre filter.we did this,which has not improved it at all.

We will go direct to Shindawa USA to see if they will give us a definative answer.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

lifestyle
06-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Do you store them under cover at night or in your trailer/vehicle ?

You could try chucking a spud sack over it night. Or under it if it is stored on a cold concrete floor...

The other option would be to use a back up non shindy for your morning runs...

geejay
06-08-2008, 11:52 PM
stored undercover in trailer tool box above ground.

another tool as a back up,its a multi tool thats commercial quality,started trouble in may,4 months after purchased,fully serviced,should last more than that.after 2 years,600 hrs,throw it away and buy another one.

Shepparton Lawn Care
07-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Hi Geejay,
It must bee very frustrating!. I use Stihl, Fs85 and more recently Fs90. I rotate each machine weekly so that my "back up" machine is ready to go. A quick story. My Fs 85 did some ring seals (or something like that ?-I'm not very mechanical!). Cost $120.00.Then had some trouble-machine then being nearly 2 years old.Had a couple of hours downtime. Result- went out and purchased a Fs90 for just under $600.00. When things calmed down I worked out that the first machine had cost me about $5.00 per week. If you are losing anymore than that in down time, I suggest you bite the bullet and purchase another machine. If Shindaiwa finally fix your machine are they going to re imburse you for lost income ?-I doubt it. If this is your core business- which it sounds like, Invest in good equipment. Even if you are mechanically minded, is fixing your own machine worth more than being out there generating income?.
Sorry for the ramble-just my 2 bobs worth

geejay
07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Geejay,
It must bee very frustrating!. I use Stihl, Fs85 and more recently Fs90. I rotate each machine weekly so that my "back up" machine is ready to go. A quick story. My Fs 85 did some ring seals (or something like that ?-I'm not very mechanical!). Cost $120.00.Then had some trouble-machine then being nearly 2 years old.Had a couple of hours downtime. Result- went out and purchased a Fs90 for just under $600.00. When things calmed down I worked out that the first machine had cost me about $5.00 per week. If you are losing anymore than that in down time, I suggest you bite the bullet and purchase another machine. If Shindaiwa finally fix your machine are they going to re imburse you for lost income ?-I doubt it. If this is your core business- which it sounds like, Invest in good equipment. Even if you are mechanically minded, is fixing your own machine worth more than being out there generating income?.

Sorry for the ramble-just my 2 bobs worth

thanks mate,it is frustrating.we trusted Shindawa,have used there equipment in RSA for 20 yrs in tough hard conditions,no problems,lived up to first to start ,lost to stop,mumble gumble.now here in AU we purchased Shindawa due to tried and tested trust,but hey times change,co's come and go,now its LAST To START, FIRST TO STOP.Look at Quantas,maintenance is up the pole,would you fly with them???

geejay
08-08-2008, 04:43 PM
machine worked with out a hitch today,cool but not damp start today,pole prunned and AHP a pitto hedge for hour,purred along.used new main filter and no pre filter.

cold heavly moist mornings are the problem.

waiting to hear from Shindawa.

geejay
09-08-2008, 08:43 AM
had a reply from shindawa usa they have expiranced the similar problem in heavy humid conditions and solved it with a particular filter type.the filters we have are not correct as they make the c4 machines run to lean.will try the new filter.

geejay
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
The Shindawa Brisbane tech has sent us down a modified flok filter and pre filter sprayed with carburator oil to try out when we experiance the loss of power,we will give it a go.

Had a look at a Stihl FS 80 or 85,25cc,will have to demo one.....

lawn order
11-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Give a mix of 33/1 even 25/1 a go.
It will do no harm - maybe up the comp a bit.
I suspect manufacturers are running real lean mixes to try and offset
anti 2stroke crusaders.
Give it a try for a week.
Nothing ventured - nothing gained & easily cleaned if it don't work.
It worked on my Sthill blower that had similar problems.

geejay
11-08-2008, 10:10 PM
thanks mate,all advice respected,

thing i have noticed on the mornings that are cold,moist ,is that the mt 2510 c4 uses more fuel,its not getting enough oxygen,so compensates by sucking more fuel,almost like increasing the choke gradualy,then she floods from excess fuel.pre filter is moist as.....

geejay
15-08-2008, 06:53 PM
we have had 5 days of moist cold mornings to test shindawas modified flok filter and carbie oil sparyed pre filter.each morning we started with the orginal filter set up,same power loss,change to the modified filter set up and she goes with out a hitch.

blades
22-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Not sure why anyone uses Shindawa, its old technology and really not that robust or long lasting. Get yourself a Zenoah (formally kamatsu) no problems, power to weight ratio best in its class by a mile. had mine for two and a half years, had it serviced once, never misses a beat, no matter what the conditions

lifestyle
23-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Not sure why anyone uses Shindawa, its old technology and really not that robust or long lasting. Get yourself a Zenoah (formally kamatsu) no problems, power to weight ratio best in its class by a mile. had mine for two and a half years, had it serviced once, never misses a beat, no matter what the conditions

Well, that was teling him :cool:

geejay
23-08-2008, 11:17 AM

are you using the zenoah strato multi tool?

geejay
23-08-2008, 11:23 AM

presuming you have a strato engine have you worked it in 8-9am ,thick moist heavy air,80-90% humdity?

just john
24-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Geejay ,I have 2 Shindaiwa's T270 for about 2 years now and found them to be reliable machines ,My main one (it's funny how you have 2 identical machines but always favour 1 :confused: ) I have used about 85-90% of the time and still SCREAMS with its alloy head :laughing:

blades
24-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi All,
Yes I have a Strato -charged multi - tool, its fine in any conditions, but my main snipper is not strato - charged. Talk abot humidity, I work in Brisbane!

lifestyle
24-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Isn't Zenoah a division of Husqvarna ? Jonsered is too i think.

geejay
24-08-2008, 09:21 PM
thanks mate appreciate your input,does the strato have a tappet ,if it does how many hours does it need adjusting.are the blades on the AHP chrome vadium?our problem with the shindawa c4 has been in cold,heavy moist air,i wonder if anyone is using your make in Melbourne,anyone out there?would love to hear your expirance with a strato in cold,heavy moist melbouerne air.