PDA

View Full Version : The Grey Army

Stuie
12-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Hey all
The Grey Army started to advertise in our local paper so i rang up and asked about their franchise.To cut a long story short ive got an appointment with them to find out the real deal. pick their brains etc etc,
. Any one have any background info on them stories etc etc?
Not really looking at buying a franchise .....Ebony would kill me! :boxer: just interested in their system and what they could do for me.
Stuart

Ebony
12-07-2004, 10:45 PM
haha Stuie, you are not old enough, the Grey Army would never accept you ;) They may have changed their policy on that tho.

I have seen them, know people in them, seen their contract, not sure what they do though :i dunno: lol. I think they have changed a bit since they first started out though. Totally different philosophy and asking for more dollars now too (of course)

Actually, I can give you a run down on Jims "work guarantee" too, when I get around to it, I'll post some info on it in the other thread, if anyones interested in how it all works.

Ebony

matthew pitman
13-07-2004, 01:33 PM
thats funny i rang tem to awhile ago. but i wasnt old enough by about 40 years,
i didnt know that they where for people who where retired

mick
13-07-2004, 06:45 PM
My old repair guy once told me how a Grey Army guy walked into his shop and wanted a repair done "NOW" " Do you know who I'm with? I'll spread the word and you'll be black listed etc etc"
Well my repair guy isn't one to bark orders at and he told the guy to get the hell out of his shop an told him if he ever came back he would get a beating "and tell your other Grey f#cks, there not welcome either"
In other words, he disliked them before but from then on, he hated them!
Up here, correct me if I'm wrong but they do work cheaper than the rest of us because there only in it for exercise and a little cash on the side. They've already got there home, sent there kids to schools etc so they don't need the money as much as the rest of us. I prefer to loose a job (hasn't happened yet but...) to Jim's or other rather than the Grey Army.

Tonyr
13-07-2004, 07:01 PM
What or who is Grey Army?

Easycareacres
13-07-2004, 07:04 PM
from what ive herd they are all retired and out to mow for fun and money. Apparently they faster than 2 toros.
No they oldies in for a mow and dont think they are much threat to industry at all.

Tonyr
13-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Who wants to work or more accuratly, mow bloody grass when they are old??

Haven't these stupid geeeezers got lifes? Not for long eh? LOL!

Stupid old wankers, should go home, buy some weed, bottle of rum and get all cosy with another old geeeezer-ette, not mow lawns!

a lot of retirees mow here, especially ride on work...take the beer right out of my mouth.

Grey Army...sounds like they are senile!

Ebony
13-07-2004, 07:32 PM
I am really not to sure if that is still their policy. They actually started off as a decent company, but now they are pretty much a franchise just like the rest of 'em. They do have area managers etc. like Jim's which IMO is not such a good thing.

They do advertise thei franchisees to be “mature age” and experienced. They are also more "tradesmen" and handy man services I believe.

I don't hear to many complaints regarding the Grey Army, not in comparison to the other franchises.

Ebony

Pain in the Grass
13-07-2004, 07:42 PM
I wouldnt worry too much guys...These old farts would probably have only enough gas in the tanks to last two lawns a day....... :laughing:

Between the heat of summer and having to get down to the local bowling club for happy hour,,,I don't think there's too much competition there.... :laughing: :laughing:

I think the only ones laughin' are the franchisors....Sign up the old geezers,,,get the quids out of em, knowing they'll most likely "expire" permanently before long allowing them to sign on more "one foot in the gravers" to fill in the territory!!!!! :laughing:

Stuie
13-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Hey all
Yeh i asked about the age deal and was told they really dont take 18 year olds but more "mature" people.So at 34 i qualify!!!! :laughing:
They have a website which is www.greyarmy.com.au (http://)
Looks like they have gone into more direct competition with Jims rather than staying with their initial concept of older workers.
Just be interesting to see what they say for themselves.
Stuart :aus-flag:

pbm
13-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I did hear that Joe Bugner was involved in setting up the Grey Army. It was initially started for middle age guys who were made redundant and could not get back into the workforce but like an earlier post said they see themselves a competitor with Jim. My local Grey Army guy looks too young to be in it and he has a set up that looks awkward to work out of, he has a box trailer towed by a Camry.
:i dunno:

matthew pitman
15-07-2004, 08:34 PM
i think they all drive camrys, the word grey and camry go hand in hand

WA Idependent Mowing
16-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Yes we have them here in wait awhile to! actually saw their work rate on a clean up in one of my customers yards. they were there for 2 days and i would of done the same amount of work in 4 hrs cause i'm FAST! Big Saw Big Heart! and all that rot. So i thought there work rate was weak for 2 men. Really i don't see many of them. Guess there a DIEING breed HA HA!

screwdriverphillips
16-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey I turn 40 tomorrow does that mean I should be in the Grey Army
. :i dunno: I bloody hope not. :russ:
From Screwdriverphillips
Ezy Mowing

Pres Lawn
16-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Don't scare me screwdriver Im 41 and have a good party tomorrow. and by the way were is our invites!!!! :laughing:

Tonyr
16-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Happy Birthday for tomorrow mate!

mick
17-07-2004, 12:23 AM
It'll be my birthday on Tuesday! :sad: Not telling you how old I'll be but man touched the moon on my 1st!

Ebony
17-07-2004, 12:27 AM
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/images/misc/birthday.gif
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCREWDRIVERPHILLIPS :russ:

Have a great day Greg
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/images/misc/birthday.gif

Easycareacres
17-07-2004, 01:06 PM
yes same again happy birthday and have a few ales. :wave-hi:

Pres Lawn
17-07-2004, 07:21 PM
It'll be my birthday on Tuesday! :sad: Not telling you how old I'll be but man touched the moon on my 1st!

Come on don't be shy. If you dont tell us Ill start a poll from 55 up :laughing: only kidding have a great day on tuesday mate !!!!!!!!!!

matthew pitman
19-07-2004, 05:13 PM
happy birthday
i think im the youngest guy on here
anyone younger then 25

Ebony
19-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Alex Callaghan would be younger (23), but he's not a member so no access to this section!

mick
20-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys, yep......... 36 today :sad: Nah, feel the same as yesterday. Hungover and about 50!

Easycareacres
20-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Happy Birthday Hippie you ol fart. Did the missues give ya a pres lol.

Ebony
20-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Got a call today from lady who told me she had tried the Grey Army but was not happy with their work.

Why? Well apparently they charged her $30.00 to trim some trees but if she wanted the branches taken away she would have to pay an extra $15.00

At that point I thought ok, that sounds fair lol. Not knowing the job obviously and I was going to explain to her re: tip fees etc. Before I got the chance she says to me, I PAID $45.00 and they chucked the branches over the fence onto the reserve

She really didn't sound to happy

screwdriverphillips
20-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys, yep......... 36 today :sad: Nah, feel the same as yesterday. Hungover and about 50!
Happy BIRTHDAY MICK Hope you had a great day and night
Regards Screwdriverphillps :)

Tonyr
20-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Got a call today from lady who told me she had tried the Grey Army but was not happy with their work.

Why? Well apparently they charged her $30.00 to trim some trees but if she wanted the branches taken away she would have to pay an extra $15.00

At that point I thought ok, that sounds fair lol. Not knowing the job obviously and I was going to explain to her re: tip fees etc. Before I got the chance she says to me, I PAID $45.00 and they chucked the branches over the fence onto the reserve

She really didn't sound to happy

It sounds like she wanted CHEAP and the service reflected that...what do these loonies want nowadays, free labour?

Got a call from this bloke this morning, he wanted his lawn mowed, I asked if it was ride on work, he says yes because it was very long and he got a guy in but he cut it and left clippings, now wants someone to cut/catch clippings...CHEAP because it has already been cut! I said I'm not your man, call jims...I refer a lot to jims, least they are pros and everyone knows them.

He said, those bastards charge like wounded bulls he's heard, what would they charge him? I said dunno, I haven't seen his job, he rants how it is wrong we in ths industry charge soo much, lastly I said, what makes him think I'm cheap, I don't stop for anything under $50, slam went his phone! LOL!

Now if mr el cheapo hired me in the 1st place I would of worked the clippings in as I do with great success, but no, they hire a boofhead and want others to clean up after...not this goose!

So, those lovely folks who want cheap deserve to get boofheads who only can deliver cheap quality work. IMO.