PDA

View Full Version : Please show caution when Servcing Equipment

Bgs
26-08-2008, 07:38 PM
This following story is a reminder to all of us of the dangers we face when servicing our equipment in our bedrooms while smoking, please take care and remember your OH&S procedures.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/Dcann/stupid.jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can anyone from Adelaide confirm if this is true or not apparently reported by the border watch on the 25/7/08

just john
26-08-2008, 09:05 PM
This following story is a reminder to all of us of the dangers we face when servicing our equipment in our bedrooms while smoking, please take care and remember your OH&S procedures.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/Dcann/stupid.jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can anyone from Adelaide confirm if this is true or not apparently reported by the border watch on the 25/7/08
Well if this person is from Adelaide ,she must be one of KAKEGC'S highly trained professionals ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

haireyscarie
26-08-2008, 10:30 PM
lol
MS Goldworthy said although she had been CONVICTED of ARSON before,this time it was an accident
I swear ,this time I did not do it,"SHE SAID

LMFAO :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lifestyle
26-08-2008, 10:40 PM
All of a sudden i'm embarrassed to be an Australian... :(

haireyscarie
26-08-2008, 10:50 PM
nar dont be
i have a matein sydney that at 1 time cheeked to see if there was enuff fuel in the mower and used a light to do it
lmfao
no eyebrow's and no fringe
and he did look funny but
we all pissed our self

walter
26-08-2008, 10:59 PM
mythbuster did a story on lighting petrol with cigarettes and cigars and apparently the embers aren't hot enough you need a naked flame or a spark

Lawns Plus
26-08-2008, 11:10 PM
One would have to wonder if vapour in a vacume cleaner bag full of oil/fuel soaked grass might not ignite from the sparks created by the brushes in the motor :i dunno: Just a theory :laughing:

mowjoman
27-08-2008, 06:38 AM
mythbuster did a story on lighting petrol with cigarettes and cigars and apparently the embers aren't hot enough you need a naked flame or a spark

I wont be looking to bust that myth anytime soon. :laughing:

lifestyle
27-08-2008, 06:52 AM

My dad was working on his car and had to pour some fuel in the carbie to to get her fired up. Some fuel went under the car and it wasn't given a second thought.

After he finished he moved the car and proceded to clean up while having a smoke. He threw the butt on the ground and a puff of flame went up. The fuel can was near by so without thinking he kicked the can out of the way not realising thew lid was off it.

Fuel splashed on his trousers and in less than a second his leg was on fire. The material in his pants melted to his skin and he was in hospital for a month...

Of course that was over 40 years ago when he was still in his teens. It was a lot of simple actions that led to a near disaster...

**** happens i guess... :i dunno:

Sandgroper
27-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Myth Busters got it wrong.

simo
27-08-2008, 04:12 PM
There seams to be no fuel cap on the mower so I wonder if she was sucking old fuel out with the vacume wouldn`t surprise me :rolleyes: ...also wonder if the hubby/boyfriend sleeps in the lawn locker.. :laughing: :laughing:

glassngrass
27-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Cleaned her lawnmower ... in the bedroom? ... whilst smoking? :frightene

Then threw bits of carpet onto the fire? - add stuff that burns to fire and it grows bigger -Doh! :rolleyes:

Now he wants to warn us to be careful when cleaning lawnmowers and not to clean them in bedroom whilst smoking! :laughing:

She may reason that fire is not a hazard if she cleaned the mower in the kitchen (whilst smoking.) Or maybe she just won't smoke anymore when cleaning them in the bedroom! :i dunno:

Mrs HMS
27-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I swear....

If all the village idiots got together to form a village...SHE'D be their village idiot!

glassngrass
27-08-2008, 06:22 PM
wonder if the hubby/boyfriend sleeps in the lawn locker.. :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe he used to sleep in the spare bedroom, but he got pushed out when the mower moved in? :laughing:

Bgs
27-08-2008, 10:09 PM
lol
MS Goldworthy said although she had been CONVICTED of ARSON before,this time it was an accident
I swear ,this time I did not do it,"SHE SAID

LMFAO :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah I love that quote :laughing: :laughing:

walter
27-08-2008, 11:01 PM
sorry groper but they didn't
* James Randerson, science correspondent
* The Guardian,
* Tuesday February 27 2007
* Article history

From Hitchcock's The Birds to The Usual Suspects, it has been one of the staple cliches of Hollywood: the cigarette butt tumbling in slow motion into a pool of petrol unleashing a conflagration.

But if you find yourself tied up and doused in petrol don't worry if all your assailant has is a lighted cigarette: scientists have proved you won't end up as a human fireball.

"On the face of it it's a pretty simple problem," said Richard Tontarski, an expert in forensic fire at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms research laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland. Cigarettes burn at around 700C (1,292F) and the ignition temperature of petrol is 246C. "But it just isn't that simple," he said.

He began looking into the problem because arson suspects frequently claim a petrol fire was started by accident. "The person claims, 'I accidentally threw gasoline on my girlfriend, she was smoking and she burst into flames'," he said.

To find out whether this was possible, he and colleagues experimented. They dropped burning cigarettes into trays of petrol. They sprayed a fine mist of petrol at a lighted cigarette. They even used a vacuum device to produce the higher temperature (900-950C) of a cigarette being sucked. In more than 2,000 attempts the petrol did not ignite.

Dr Tontarski can only speculate why. The layer of ash on the tobacco, perhaps, or the petrol vapour convected away from the hottest part of the cigarette.

So is he in touch with Hollywood to demand it drops the explosive movie cliche? "Actually they are pretty well aware of it. They don't care :)

walter
27-08-2008, 11:07 PM
also note the petrol spilled from the lawnmower onto the floor then she dropped her cigarette into it but amazingly the mower is not burned at all i mean surely the flames would have ignited the fuel in the tank.

glassngrass
28-08-2008, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=walter]But if you find yourself tied up and doused in petrol don't worry if all your assailant has is a lighted cigarette: scientists have proved you won't end up as a human fireball.

To find out whether this was possible, he and colleagues experimented... In more than 2,000 attempts the petrol did not ignite.QUOTE]

Would you suggest removing the prohibition against smoking whilst refueling at your local garage/petrol station? The first 2,000 smokers might get away with it, but likely that garage won't be there when you retire! :p

lifestyle
28-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Well they should have tried for attempt 2001 because it happened to my father and i've seen the scars... Maybe they were using Diesel for their experiments ;)

glassngrass
28-08-2008, 08:01 AM
...surely the flames would have ignited the fuel in the tank.
My (limited) understanding is that petrol isn't that easy to ignite without a flame. You gotta have just the right 'mix', or concentration of vapours. To lean or too rich - no BOOM! Fuel vapours in the tank would be too rich. A butt dropped in the tank would likely have the same effect as dropping in a glass of water. We could always try it 2,000 times and keep track of the success rate! Volunteers anyone? - we could conduct this experiment in the comfort of your own bedroom! :rolleyes:

mongoose
28-08-2008, 01:42 PM
As Gordon Ramsey would say " f-ck me" .

walter
28-08-2008, 07:10 PM
no thanks i don't think your my type

Bluey
28-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Who would really want to try and prove it one way or another. Seems safer not to smoke to me.

Years ago when I was a fisho I was refuelling our 10m catamaran on a trailer at the local servo in Karumba at the bottom of the Gulf of Carpentaria. It carried 800 lts aside and took a while to fill as it kept spilling a bit out of the overflows due to pressure build up.

I had just about finished fueling when the apprentice mechanic decided to light up an oxy torch about 10 feet from the boat. I had a few choice words to say to him and he shot a few back. I stopped the pump and climbed down from the boat and he found out the hard way it doesn't pay to do that.

My boss got up me and said I should not have decked him. Fine thing for him to say when he was not sitting on a 1600 lt fuel bomb. Anyway it made me feel better and the servo owner bushed the mechanic on the spot.

My advice is don't smoke while refuelling.