PDA

View Full Version : Keep her or dump her

bb1
28-08-2008, 07:31 AM
I have one of those painful clients, who you put up with becuase it is guaranteed work and just makes it easy not to have to worry looking for a replacement.

But now she has P'ed me off, and am about to give her the flick, interested in others views.

I do her one full day a week (so is really good in that way). She is always grumpy and un appreciative of what you do, although has let it slip on the odd occasion that she likes the job we do. Recently we have being accused of breaking the Quad bike, although there daughter had used it last. and other things which always makes us feel uncomfortable. This week she tells me that she knows how much I pay my subbie, and thinks that I charge to much for him, and that I should only charge her what I pay. Although I have insurance, equipment, fuel, and other on costs, she ignores this and says she doesnt want him anymore. But in future she will have someone that is cheaping (read low baller), who can help me.

I intend to make it clear that this person, will not use my equipment or be covered by my insurance, and that I will not supervise them (without an increase in my rate anyhow).

But I am really thinking it may be time to give her the boot, and just put up with a short period of no work, while I look for a replacement.

Just interested in other peoples opinions, I am 90% sure that she is to be dumped, but an interesting topic for discussion,

glassngrass
28-08-2008, 08:24 AM
How does she know how much you pay your subbie? Does she really? If she does, has your subbie been talking out of place, perhaps viewing this lady as HIS customer? If so, sounds like HE needs to be given the flick. :wave-hi:

She doesn't pay your subbie, she pays YOU, you are the contractor here and she is your customer. What you pay your subbie is none of her nevermind. No business who supplies labor at cost will last. A mark up is appropriate/essential.

Customer cannot dictate who you will use, but they can decide who they will allow on site. Up to you how you handle it. Some customers keep both a lawn mower guy AND a gardener! If you have a verbal contract to provide this weekly service and the job is being done well, then who you have assist should be irrelevant.

Suggest that you keep your distance from this other person and don't work alongside him.

bb1
28-08-2008, 08:35 AM
How does she know how much you pay your subbie? Does she really? If she does, has your subbie been talking out of place, perhaps viewing this lady as HIS customer? If so, sounds like HE needs to be given the flick. :wave-hi:

She asked him the question a few months back, and put on the spot he just let it out. He came to me all apologetic the same day, so I have no worries about him doing the wrong thing.

mowjoman
28-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I would call every lawnie in your area and let them know what a misserable woman she is . Any of them worth their salt would appreciate it and stear clear and those that dont then they are made for each other.....You dont need that sh*t...Give her the ar*e.
I know most of the lawnies where I am and we have a pact to let each other know of PITAs and non payers.
On giving her the flick however it might be worth letting her know that if it doesn't work out with anyone else not to hesitate to call you, she'll then I imagine have a brand new appreciation of what you do. So much so that you could increase your price. :D :cool:

grasshopper
28-08-2008, 05:11 PM
do what i've done a cpl times. Encourage them to ring the bearded one, get a quote from them. They come back with a new appreciation of your effort/price. I had one like that, she started off good, but in the end it was like an interrogation into wages, expenses.....gave her the flick, worth it for sure.

walter
28-08-2008, 07:03 PM
point out to her that she employs you and your staff and under no circumstances will you work with or allow someone she employs to use your equipment.and if she is not happy with this she will have to find someone else.

walter
28-08-2008, 07:06 PM
and grasshopper a never encourage people to ring anyone else as i try to charge as much or more than my competition i mean if they can charge that why shouldn't i

Bluey
28-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I think the answer here is simple. Do you need her business?

If the answer is yes then your wasting your time asking this question here as you are going to keep her on and you need to get over her issues.

On the other hand if the answer is no give her the flick and be done with it. Personally I wouldn't put up with her c**p and I would tell her to mind her own business or find someone else.

I learnt a long time ago that half the reason you get s*** in your life is that you are prepared top put up with it.

My advice is to walk away and find a new customer who "values" what you do.

BLACK BEAR
28-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Well said Bluey!

Or just use her until you don't need her anymore, then do the "feel good" option and dump! ;dealers;

lawn order
28-08-2008, 10:11 PM
If she didn't like you she would not bother with the talk.
Lady has probably lost the old man and misses him.
Maybe it's her way of conversation.
Try agreeing with her and turn the talk to ungrateful youngsters.
Up the price over a cuppa.
Old dears are great word of mouth adverts.
Be nice and tolerant.
It's good for your soul.

tree beard
28-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi
I would say end your business arrangement with her!
If you are in a comfort zone with her income and ease of the job then you probably need the push to clean house and find two better customers to replace her. It is usually the case that you end up wondering why you didnt do it sooner :wave-hi:

m287j
28-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Gees, if this woman is as smart as she thinks she is, maybe you need to put her on the books as your business adviser. ;)

Having said that, you need to seriously consider the loss of income situation, sounds like she may well be one of your biggest clients, if not biggest. Is it possible to do the whole job yourself ? Obviously the idea of someone else working with you she wants is a big no no.

Is she worth the hassle, only you can decide that.

lifestyle
28-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Tell her you'll charge her the Subbies rates... PLUS Machinery Hire, Insurance, Fuel, etc... I bet she'll be happy with your current rates after that :)

Ability
29-08-2008, 05:01 PM
DUMP HER!- if you provide exceptional service and charge realitically you will find a replacement in no time! :i dunno:

NWGL
29-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd drop her.

When I decide to drop a customer, unless they're a major PITA or I want to get rid of them straight away, I try and make up the work first.

Say the customer is worth $400 per month. I'd try and find enough work to make up the $400 (or enough to get by), and then i'd kick them to the kerb. :laughing:

If you can't wait, then do it. Or try dropping subtle hints that you're not happy, or may not be able to fit her in anymore - i.e. sometime really soon.

Maybe she'll pull her head in, or maybe she'll make the decision for you.

geejay
30-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Be nice and tolerant.
It's good for your soul.

wise words

put yourself in her shoes,your feet may be to big to fit hers,but try,if you get the fit right,all will be nice and snug, with a light heart next visit and extra dosh in the pocket.

glassngrass
30-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Be nice and tolerant.
It's good for your soul.

Me thinks Lawn Order is spot on here. Some times customers appreciate you because they can vent their spleen a little with you without fear of retaliation - but that's just them getting frustration out of their system. It's not personal. Rather that get indignant, take it on the chin, and likely she would have forgotten the conversation next visit!

A contractor is as only as good as his last service/visit in the mind of the customer. Whilst she may be a PITA, is it possible she is also a fantastic word of mouth promoter for you? Alternately, what damage might she do if she quoted you giving her a verbal backhander?

Not all customers are reasonable, respectful and courteous - but a professional contractor should be - even under provocation!

Don't confuse tolerance with permissiveness! While there ARE things we should not permit or put up with, tolerance is good for the soul, makes dealing with people a easier, avoids conflict, and... can rub off on others. We ALL have our bad days, hey!

geejay
30-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Me thinks Lawn Order is spot on here. Some times customers appreciate you because they can vent their spleen a little with you without fear of retaliation - but that's just them getting frustration out of their system. It's not personal. Rather that get indignant, take it on the chin, and likely she would have forgotten the conversation next visit!

A contractor is as only as good as his last service/visit in the mind of the customer. Whilst she may be a PITA, is it possible she is also a fantastic word of mouth promoter for you? Alternately, what damage might she do if she quoted you giving her a verbal backhander?

Not all customers are reasonable, respectful and courteous - but a professional contractor should be - even under provocation!

Don't confuse tolerance with permissiveness! While there ARE things we should not permit or put up with, tolerance is good for the soul, makes dealing with people a easier, avoids conflict, and... can rub off on others. We ALL have our bad days, hey!

well said,i would want you as my contractor........

BLACK BEAR
30-08-2008, 02:21 PM
:read_this , I think you got it wrong "mate"! While all clients are not reasonable, respectful and courteous, they should be. Just as they have the right to pick and choose who works for them, a good contractor has the right to choose who he works for-and obviously not someone like this, unless they change their attititude after a conversation with her.
Just as clients can expect us to have insurance to be liable for problems that arise, they knowing we work at their properties have a responsibilty to make sure we have a safe work environment.
THE SAME APPLIES FOR RESPECT! TOLERANCE! COURTESY! :who-knows Treat others the same way you like/expect to be treated :wave-hi:
This should be conveyed to her in a conversation with her IMMMEDIATELY so you both know what can be expected and if not rectified immediately JUST DUMP HER!
This is AUSTRALIA, MATE!! We choose to run our own businesses so as to have the freedom we want and not to take that bull****, if we want that we can go back to work for a boss. But saying that we all run things differently and have different "values". You must decide what they are!!! :bike: :bike:

glassngrass
30-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Black Bear
I used to believe I was in the gardening/property maintenance industry. It took me a little while to learn that we are not. There is a reason that Mrs Jones, etc... has me back each week at a higher rate than the qualified gardener in competition. I have come to understand I am in the service industry - I offer myself as the 'servant' to those who want the service I offer. It is the service that make the difference. I have found a humble attitude has made many initial PITAs so much easier to deal with! I adopt this mindset freely and ungrudgingly. This does not mean I am subservient and compel myself to put up with everything dished out - there is a limit to what I will put up with.

Yes, we should be able to expect to receive respect, tolerance and courtesy from our customers, but I also expect that we ALL have our bad days and at times react in a way that we normally would not. "DUMPING" at the first sign of a hiccup does not fit that pattern.

A key thought I was conveying, and which you aknowledged - "Treat others the same way you like/expect to be treated" as compared to treat others as they have treated you! Would you like others to be a little accomodating if you had a bad day? Then be the same yourself!

Yes, we have different "values". I have determined what mine are, and they won't be lowered to meet those of some of my customers, suppliers, or well intentioned 'brother' contractors. :rolleyes:

geejay
30-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Black Bear
I used to believe I was in the gardening/property maintenance industry. It took me a little while to learn that we are not. There is a reason that Mrs Jones, etc... has me back each week at a higher rate than the qualified gardener in competition. I have come to understand I am in the service industry - I offer myself as the 'servant' to those who want the service I offer. It is the service that make the difference. I have found a humble attitude has made many initial PITAs so much easier to deal with! I adopt this mindset freely and ungrudgingly. This does not mean I am subservient and compel myself to put up with everything dished out - there is a limit to what I will put up with.

Yes, we should be able to expect to receive respect, tolerance and courtesy from our customers, but I also expect that we ALL have our bad days and at times react in a way that we normally would not. "DUMPING" at the first sign of a hiccup does not fit that pattern.

A key thought I was conveying, and which you aknowledged - "Treat others the same way you like/expect to be treated" as compared to treat others as they have treated you! Would you like others to be a little accomodating if you had a bad day? Then be the same yourself!

Yes, we have different "values". I have determined what mine are, and they won't be lowered to meet those of some of my customers, suppliers, or well intentioned 'brother' contractors. :rolleyes:

well said,that to me is the Australian,Kiwi, and African way,give her a fair go,and many diffcult customers can be turned around.saves one looking for a new customer etc.

63impala
30-08-2008, 04:54 PM
AND AMERICAN WAY :dean: :laughing:

glassngrass
30-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Thought for the day....are customers a "renewable resource" ???

Customers come and customers go. We might "DUMP" some even as some "DUMP" us .

But are customers a "renewable resource" ???

Whilst people do move into our area and others move out, once a customer feels they have had a 'bad' experience with us, they will not hesitate to "DUMP" us, and on us.

If we burned bridges with customers each time we got annoyed with them, or we refused to be accomodating (when able) to their whims and we get dumped, then not only do we 'lose' that customer, but possibly prospects with their friends, family and anybody else they relate their percieved experience to.

Alternately, we build better relations through a 'servant' like attitude, and we also build stronger and far reaching 'bridges' to prospects with their friends and family. Word of mouth is much more powerful than all the well timed newspaper ads, cleverly worded flyers and beautifully designed and hosted web sites. As a result, I aim to see the bigger picture before I DUMP a PITA.

My conclusion - customers are not a 'renewable resource' - they need to be nutured, valued, and assisted to part with their own hard earned 'dosh', which will in turn help our own individual service business flourish and grow. :who-knows

BLACK BEAR
30-08-2008, 06:33 PM
:dean: 1. She is always grumpy and un appreciative of what you do, although has let it slip on the odd occasion that she likes the job we do.
2.Recently we have being accused of breaking the Quad bike, although there daughter had used it last. and other things which always makes us feel uncomfortable.
3.This week she tells me that she knows how much I pay my subbie, and thinks that I charge to much for him, and that I should only charge her what I pay.
4.I read it as it is not just a one off occurrance, :rolleyes: thats why I said point 5>
5.MY POINT BEING -This should be conveyed to her in a conversation with her IMMMEDIATELY so you both know what can be expected and if not rectified immediately JUST DUMP HER. It really should not have come to this though cos it's probably only going to be one result now.
6.Just dump her - means terminate the service, and can be done professionally.
7.Yes i too understand it's a service industry, been in it for 30yrs now. It used to be "the customer is always right" but go into any respected establishment now and it will be "the customer is always right" unless they are simply a PITA who tries to continually use and abuse the system so we really don't want those type and refuse to service them anymore.
8.Maybe she just needs to know there is 2 sides to the fence.
9.YES, I could name probably 15 pita's that I have and continue to service, some after having a chat to about what we offer and in turn what we can expect in return and 1 or 2 now are my best clients in many respects, and 1 or two I have "dumped" have even called me back months later because of the 'no bulls***' attitude.
10.Sometimes you get what you ask for, so if you have B***s you will talk to the client and come to an agreement :who-knows or not. :dean:
:p BUT IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THAT WE ARE IN GOOD HANDS :who-knows WITH MEMBERS OF "ILMCA" many good points mentioned, but I think it has been let go on for too long with this lady.
63IMPALA- I thought the American way was roll in the tanks, Aircraft carriers and B52's :frightene :eek: :help:

BLACK BEAR
30-08-2008, 06:34 PM
:i dunno: BB1, Has your question been answered yet :rolleyes:

lifestyle
30-08-2008, 06:58 PM
If you do good things... good things happen...

(susposed to any way :i dunno: )

bb1
02-09-2008, 11:42 PM
:i dunno: BB1, Has your question been answered yet :rolleyes:

Hi BlackBear, I had made my decision before posting, but was kind of interested in other peoples views anyhow. I will be dumping her, just a matter of when, she is away for a month and a bit, so dont want to do it while she is away, but there are a couple of other things which may make the dumping occur before she returns. I have an alternate contact, so it will not be a case of her returning to find no work has being done for 4 weeks, with no knowledge, I would not do that.

In reality and on reflection she has being a pain in the proverbial since day one, and although discussing them with her, things havent really changed, so this was just the final straw. The income has being good and will be a hit on the bottom line for a short while, but in the past when i have lost a good client due to sold house or other circumstance, I have managed to pick up a replacement reasonably quickly so am not to concerned. In fact my flyers will be going out in a couple of days time to a select area, so I am confident of picking up replacement work, even if not as stable.

At the end of the day, I dont need or have to put up with someone like this.

glassngrass
03-09-2008, 08:09 AM
bb1- you've probably made the right decision then.

Thank you for having started one of the forum's best threads, it's stimulated some great discussion from a wide section of our community with various excellent points to consider.

tree beard
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
It is interesting looking back through this thread for a profile on us all!

To some money is king..keep/protect the income. old school business sense.
Others do the right thing be tolerant & understanding.
the rest..dont need that stress in our lives move on.
Did I miss any minority group :i dunno:

For me I am in the last group, I enjoy doing what I am doing, I enjoy people and their company and want to continue that way. The money well yes I have bills mortgage etc but am not driven by them so lucky I guess.

bb1
03-09-2008, 07:32 PM
It is interesting looking back through this thread for a profile on us all!

To some money is king..keep/protect the income. old school business sense.
Others do the right thing be tolerant & understanding.
the rest..dont need that stress in our lives move on.
Did I miss any minority group :i dunno:

For me I am in the last group, I enjoy doing what I am doing, I enjoy people and their company and want to continue that way. The money well yes I have bills mortgage etc but am not driven by them so lucky I guess.

Interesting observation tree beard. Yes 3 definite categories, and due to circumstances for me at the moment I fit in 2 categories. Money and no stress. But I have very much gone through the stress things in a previous jobs. And have decided that although I need the money at the moment, I do not, and will not continue to put up with PITA's. she will be the 3rd I have dumped in 2 years, and each caused me short term pain on the income side, but I know I can recover, and the stress is just not worth it.

I have learnt some valuable lessons over the past 8 months, and the most important, has being that your own health and well being are much more important than Money or anything else. Gee am I getting a little deep and meaningful here, time I signed off and went out for some enjoyment

blades
04-09-2008, 10:22 PM
This is the unfortunate paeril of dealing and doing business with residential customers. You have to be happy amd satisfied going to work each day, if you confront this problem on a regular basis, you have to ask yourself, "how much betterer can I do"

grasshopper
04-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I have learnt some valuable lessons over the past 8 months, and the most important, has being that your own health and well being are much more important than Money or anything else. Gee am I getting a little deep and meaningful here, time I signed off and went out for some enjoyment

mate there's a lot more in this game than i think anyone realises that have been in the blackest of holes. Stress and causes related to stress being a key motivating factor in a lot of guys going for the "no stress customer".

administrator
29-08-2009, 07:28 AM
If you dont like your wife girlfriend or boyfriend you get divorced . :laughing:

Stripes
29-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I would've dumped her too! I'm a massive fan of the Dump. If clients don't appreciate the hard work we do then have the nerve to question the price, they get dumped. Its different if you really need the work of course, but if I feel a client is doing the wrong thing by me I dump their ass.
A few years back I dumped a 32 hour per week client because the manager **** on me one too many times. Most people thought I was crazy but I have never looked back. :russ:

bb1
29-08-2009, 08:59 AM
If you dont like your wife girlfriend or boyfriend you get divorced . :laughing:

Done that, and dumped some clients as well.