PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO START YOUR OWN LAWN MOWING BUSINESS

sharon
13-07-2004, 02:15 PM
:) :wave-hi: any tips or stories about starting out would be great .
Thanking you.

HOW TO START YOUR OWN LAWN MOWING BUSINESS

Click here and join 3000 members 05/05/2013

http://www.indmowing.com.au/

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=26855#post26855

Ebony
13-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Sharon where you from?

sharon
13-07-2004, 03:46 PM
I am from st loenards vic, not sure if you are who i sent the e mail to. I am just working my way around the computer system. just gathering as much information as i can. :)

Easycareacres
13-07-2004, 05:34 PM
G'day Sharon,
welcome to the site. Wow first lady opps Eb also. Rare for a mowing gal but great.
ok to start out you need grass to cut. Help us all find it lol.
No ill leave this one for the guys with all help youll need.

Ebony
13-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Sharon, Sorry I am all over the place today, got no idea if I am arthur or martha lol

I meant to welcome you, but instead i just blurter out my question.

OK, I am giving up for today! Sorry!

Easycareacres
13-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Hi Martha Gal

Ebony
13-07-2004, 05:40 PM
lol easycare

We actually got quite a few ladies as members who are in the industry, wish there were more!

Ebony

P.S. Now I am giving up, waiting for my second energy/wind but hasn't come yet.

Easycareacres
13-07-2004, 05:43 PM
crickey, no more swearing put ya ties on guys there fluff in room.

mick
13-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Unlike the others who havent offered you any real info on your question, heres a few things.......

buy the best gear you can afford.
dont get injured/ sick
dont under charge for your service
dont over charge for your service
be friendly with other contractors and repair shops
join Indepentant Mowing. Its cheap and you get a book that has great tips in it for starting up.

Theres a couple, the others, if they pull there finger out will give you some more, I'm sure!

Tonyr
13-07-2004, 06:08 PM
The flightless chook guy is right, you are Martha mate....glad to be of help :)

Oh, Hi Russ....ha, ha!

Welcome to the madness Sharon! You will never see lawn work the same again now! LOL!

Watch out for guys using yellow or orange mowers...they are a bit "different!" :laughing:

Ebony
13-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Unlike the others who havent offered you any real info on your question, heres a few things.......

Thanks Mick, I was hoping someone was going to say something usefull, and I really am sorry Sharon, I messed up this whole thread on you, it was not my intention.

There are some great stories in the "Describe your business (http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=149)" thread & ALSO in "what's your background (http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=65&page=1&pp=15)"

Ebony

Easycareacres
13-07-2004, 06:15 PM
See guys a reason why I held back. Also had to get scag outa croc

mick
13-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks Mick, I was hoping someone was going to say something usefull, and I really am sorry Sharon, I messed up this whole thread on you, it was not my intention.
Ebony

Thats Ok Eb, someone has to keep this forum running smoothly! :i dunno: hehe

Easycareacres
13-07-2004, 06:52 PM
go easy on him Eb, herd Mic is getting pacemaker and joining greyarmy .

Tonyr
13-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Lol Russ, says something when the croc won't swallow the 'mower'' eh? ha, ha, ha.

Hi Eb, I'm doin my bit to make sure this thread runs smoothly....like all the others! LOL! Have we done good martha? LOL!

I'm keeping Russell entertained so he doesn't get up to mischief...just doin my bit to help! he, he.

Can't guarantee Mick will behave though... :i dunno:

Easycareacres
13-07-2004, 07:01 PM
well ive been really busy trying to post a pic simular to yours tony but wont work i need a computer whiz here. But not giveing up lol.

mick
13-07-2004, 07:19 PM
You lot are soooooooo funny! How about some words of wisdom from the 2 guys here that should or could get into Grey Army. (old farts)

Eb, these 2 talk like the little pricks that put graffity everywhere, you should make them scrub it off! There just filling up the walls with gibberish. Can see it but nothing of any use!
Maybe give them a wall to gibber on, thats what they do in the cities isnt it, give the vandals a wall to cr@p on all over!

Oh and leave me the hell alone! hehe

Tonyr
13-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Think you better pass the pipe back, you had enough I reckon! LOL!

Ya are a worry.... :laughing:

Hey, take ya grouchy self over tomy logo mate and give me some constructive critisism, then we can put the caps on the cans lol. :p

mick
13-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Done it already a slow minded old fart! :laughing:

hehe, grouchy! Thanks for that mate! hehe Of course, you know I'm takin the piss. :russ:

Tonyr
13-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Lol, Yeah I know, that's why I was funnin' with ya:)

Thanks too re logo.

matthew pitman
15-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Watch out for guys using yellow or orange mowers...they are a bit "different!" :laughing:[/QUOTE]

are we different cause they lawns we cut look better done with the yellow or orange mowers.

i might paint my walker red, just to upset all you guys with the red mowers

ratherbfishing
16-07-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi sharon
I am from the u.k (unfortunatly lol) but i am in the process of visa application to be one of you guys.
some good advice from the other chaps cheap gear is a false economy buy the best it will out last the rest
not sure on what you are going into to so cant advise on specific kit but if doing small lawns i would go honda all the way with mowers and stihl with blowers,hedge cutters,chain saws etc
we use a lot of stihl products here they are excellent and built to last but you guys may have a good comparision out there i dont know of so need to ask dealers on that score i have put a post on the "buying lawns" thread on this forum they may be of some help regarding advertising again it is from a u.k slant so might not be so helpfull the only other thing i can say is be as helpfull as poss to your clients without letting them take the p"£$ out of you and be as reliable as poss and phone if you are not going to make it (break downs etc etc) i have found through out life that respect and trust are never given they have to be earned good luck best wishes for your success paul

mick
16-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi sharon
I am from the u.k (unfortunatly lol) but i am in the process of visa application to be one of you guys.
some good advice from the other chaps cheap gear is a false economy buy the best it will out last the rest
not sure on what you are going into to so cant advise on specific kit but if doing small lawns i would go honda all the way with mowers and stihl with blowers,hedge cutters,chain saws etc
we use a lot of stihl products here they are excellent and built to last but you guys may have a good comparision out there i dont know of so need to ask dealers on that score i have put a post on the "buying lawns" thread on this forum they may be of some help regarding advertising again it is from a u.k slant so might not be so helpfull the only other thing i can say is be as helpfull as poss to your clients without letting them take the p"£$ out of you and be as reliable as poss and phone if you are not going to make it (break downs etc etc) i have found through out life that respect and trust are never given they have to be earned good luck best wishes for your success paul

I'd agree with everything said here except.......... Stihl! I hate them with a passion. Go for Shindawia or Kawasaki!

sharon
17-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanking all who took the time to write back.
Whats wrong with orange mowers? I have an orange ride on.
Am still waiting for the trailer to be made, which will be quite a big trailer so i am wanting to know should i get a smaller rideon. Its taken them so long to make the trailer that in the meantime i have had my push mower and brush cutter stolen . How ever i have just got my new Hon bull and brushcutter. I am having trouble operating this brushcutter, not sure why as my last one i could use, so any tips on where i should put my bars would be good.I am begining to wonder if i should not have got the bike handklse,however my last one had the same handles but was a bit smaller. Any advice an trailer designs would of a great help. should i put my name on my flyers? am in two minds about it .Thanks

:wave-hi: sharon

Easycareacres
17-07-2004, 03:07 PM
g'day Sharon nice to meet you. yeah nothing wrong with orange mowers {manderines I get called} Trailer size well its all up to you on outlay and drive to stay at mowing. So many go for a year then never to return with sour coments. If drive and satisfaction on your work youll do fine. Sorry to hear about your mower and brushcutter where how etc ?
The bars on brush cutter should of been set from shop. as you say bike handle bars, well I have 7 brushcutters 6 are as you say bike type, the loop type is better for domestic house lawns for edging but others might say diff.
Flyers yes name and speacilaay price. I belive flyiers are last resource for bad months so sell yourself.
Trailer be carfullo as desing for your gear unloading mower etc. :)

sharon
17-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks easycareacres. Because Insurance got them sent from the main place, they just came in a box so i had to place the bars. I didnt even get the petrol can. Am thinking to give better balance i will move them to the front? Brush cutter came with a green thing easy to re load but not sure what i think. I think I just need more practice. THe guard gets in the way. My old one itook off. This one i will keep on, have seen other mowers with their guard moved up , I cant seem to do it to mine. Any solution would be great. They were stolen from the back of my ute,which was parked in my drive way, they would have had to walk about 6 m from my front gate,it was late at night and idid not hear a thing. It was on a long weekend and as i live in a holidaying area it was probably someone from melbourne. I should not left them in there I know and i will never do it again. So in a way it was probably a good thing that it hapened when it did. Thanking you :wave-hi:
sharon

Easycareacres
17-07-2004, 04:51 PM
ok Sharon ill try my best here as on the turps agian. Ok your whipper snipper I dont know brand. Go into a local mower shop that has your whipper and look at the amount of inches or centemetres from yours.
Whipper heads Myself throw plastic bumper heads so far away down paddock so never see them again. Go to shop or even better ask Eb indi gal for a Aluminuim head instead of plastic crap. you have choice of single thread or wind on 3-4 metres of cord. These ones are a saving and lower to ground you can give exxcellent finish on a lawn.
Now if you have a harness for whipper put on and make sure the whipper head is just above ground. This balances weight and gives acurate cutting, sometimes takes half hour to get right. Once tuned to you its a breeze and you dont struggle with balancing dam thing .
If your gaurd is fixed like many and mine were, again throw the gaurd away and replace with a sliding gaurd, This gives you just a little more cord with out doing clutch in if sensable lenght.
Never leave gear out darl, yes melbourne ones haaaaa no always lock away or paddlock it up.

ratherbfishing
18-07-2004, 04:50 AM
Hi Sharon,
it wont make you feel much better about your nicked gear but a while back some thieving scum cleaned out my tree surgeons place all his saws ladders ropes mower strimmer blower hedge trimmer etc they even started to take his chipper apart! to get it off the steel pole it was locked up to! and took off the wheels we cant leave nothing out here at all, they even follow us back to our yards to find out where we keep our kit, we have to check rear view mirror as we get near home for gippos vans following and drive past home to mislead the scum! my mate lost £10,000 worth of gear $25,000 as easycare says lock it or loose it even then we some times have to weld it down !!lol lol cheers paul

sharon
29-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the information I didnt know that you could get a guard that slides. No it didnt make me feel ay better. People can be really selfish when they set ou to take other peoples things, i will be checking when i go home from now on. Sometimes you get this gut feeling about these things and you should follow it. I was the 100th member and i liked my watches.I actually think this forum could be quite addictive. :laughing: What sort of a mower would be suited to rode side cutting and what is the right ammount to charge. :)