PDA

View Full Version : Stupid questions by a Pom!

GazzaP
08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm sure you guys take all this in your stride, but what do you do to protect against the things that bite? Spiders and snakes etc....
I guess you wear gloves, or is it not as big a problem as in my imagination! :laughing: :frightene

Also, do you all wear hearing protection, lawncare has got to be a noisy profession? I had my ears damaged in the engineering industry years back, I really don't want to lose anymore of my hearing :sad:

Gaz

glassngrass
08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Stupid questions deserve a stupid answer - so I feel well equipped to respond! :rolleyes:

Yes, I protect my ears. I find muffs too bulky and hot in summer, so I use reusable plugs.

Snakes can hear a mower (they 'hear' the vibrations thru the ground) and tend to skoot before you even get close. In four years I've never seen a snake when mowing. Nonetheless, if slashing a paddock I wear long, cotton drill pants.

lifestyle
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Bee's have always been a concern for me. I've heard stories of a few members of our (distant) family who have been bitten (Bull ants & Bee's) and had serious allergic reactions... I haven't been bitten yet. Knock on wood...

just john
08-09-2008, 02:41 PM
What about wasps , these insects aren't stupid they seem to go for the delicate areas such as lips ,nose & ears and boy do they pack a punch.When I get stung I run all around the yard :dean: %$@$#@!for about 15-20 secondsand when the pain is gone I go looking for REVENGE :boxer:

lifestyle
08-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah, true.

Insect repellent is no good either, the bloody pyrethrum MAKEs em attack...

mowjoman
08-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I wear reusable ear plugs rather than muffs, just my preference.
WASPS!!!!! I hate em'. I always carry the ol' wasp and nest killer with me in the ute but unfortunately I'm unaware of thier existance until I get stung mojority of the time.
I do as you do just john :laughing:
I've had two snake encounters, which at this time of year is something we up here during the cane cutting season have to be wary of.
The first was one shot out of some long grass and under the mower and ended up diced and the other was a little more scary...I was brushcutting thru some heavy grass and when finished sprayed along the fence when I stood on one that I must have knicked with the brushcutter. He was injured but was striking at me and was very upset. Needless to say my ol' poo cutter only just managed to hold up :o
I got the shovel outa the trailer and killed it, which I hated doing as I love them but he wasn't in good shape.
I dont think there is alot you can do about avoiding an encounter however some care in long grass never goes astray and if you do have an encounter, the obvious applies...leave it alone.
When I lived in Mandurah, (not far from where your gonna end up Gaz), Red back spiders were common so I'd always wear gloves when gardening and be careful when you lift old timber, bricks or rocks. :frightene :)

bb1
08-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Snakes, they go one way, and I head the other way twice as fast.

Bluey
08-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I wear ear and eye protection. Not that many snakes I have run across yet but I am sure they take off pretty quick. European wasps over here can be a bit of a worry too. But I reckon we are more under threat from dog "bombs" and the layers of them.

walter
08-09-2008, 05:40 PM
about the only snake you will have to watch out for around rockingham is sandgroper :laughing:

Mowjoe
08-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm with just john, I hate wasps. Got stung on my upper lip last summer, boy it hurt. Spiders bon't bother me but snakes an I have an agreement, I stay away from them and the stay away from me.

Ear and Eye protection is a must in this industry and if you do not use them you are mad. It's worth spending a few bucks to make sure you have the best protection. ;)

lifestyle
08-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Whats the most commonly used eye protection... Goggles or Shield ?

Bluey
08-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Safety glasses here. I find it less cumberson

GazzaP
08-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Cheers for the replies fellas- all noted! :frightene
What do you think orange or yellow?
http://www.safetyequip.com.au/images/gastight.gif
:i dunno:
Gaz

Bluey
08-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Sheeeet.....wheres the green man.........lol

lifestyle
08-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Cheers for the replies fellas- all noted! :frightene
What do you think orange or yellow?
http://www.safetyequip.com.au/images/gastight.gif
:i dunno:
Gaz

Perfect safety gear for using Roundup :p :p :p

tree beard
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi all
Got my first spider bite for the season last week! Yay...not :help: .
Had me off colour for a couple of days. Little bastard climbed up my ankle and bit me twice in the middle of the calf. There is very little satisfaction in grinding the spot where you killed the spider several times. I garden with a dead spider policy, vigerously enforced.

walter
08-09-2008, 11:02 PM
safety glasses and am/fm earmuffs

mowjoman
09-09-2008, 06:59 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I use good quality glasses. I couldn't count how many times debris hits them and you think...thank christ I had them on. Like you Bluey shield too cumbersome.

lifestyle
09-09-2008, 07:19 AM
I tend to wear a shield because i wear glasses. I need to get a set of prescription safety glasses. As Andrew O'Keefe would say... "Its on the list" (of things to do).

a grass act
12-10-2008, 05:50 PM
This has got to be a joke, the first post says it all. Ive never seen a pom mow a lawn, let alone ask for protection.
Most poms let it get 2 foot high, whinge when you give them a quote, then take off down the pub for a game of darts and some gaspers :laughing:

Hugh Jarss
12-10-2008, 05:56 PM
This has got to be a joke, the first post says it all. Ive never seen a pom mow a lawn, let alone ask for protection.
Most poms let it get 2 foot high, whinge when you give them a quote, then take off down the pub for a game of darts and some gaspers :laughing:

Stop picking on Poms Tony.... they cop enough without you sticking the boot in..... the old Lion Park at Wallacia had a sign at the entrance that read

ADMISSION PRICES

Adults $10

Kids $5

Poms on bicycles FREE

haireyscarie
12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I had my ears damaged in the engineering industry years back, I really don't want to lose anymore of my hearing :sad:

Gaz
what did ya say
speek up i cant hear you ;frosty;

lifestyle
13-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Ears and Eyes are something that should be protected all the time.

It only takes a small slip of the brush cutter or throw back to send something in your eye and your business days would be over.

Safety first in all areas. Especially in this industry.

Does anyone use Prescription Safety glasses ?

just john
13-10-2008, 05:14 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I use good quality glasses. I couldn't count how many times debris hits them and you think...thank christ I had them on. Like you Bluey shield too cumbersome.
I'TS GOT ME ABSOLUTELY%$^%$#@ HOW MANY TIMES I SEE PEOPLE SNIPPING THERE LAWN WITHOUT EYE-PROTECTION :frightene AS MOWJOMAN STATED WHEN YOU GET SMACKED IN THE SAFTEY GLASSES WITH A STONE ,YOU THINK THANK%$%#@$I'VE GOT THESE ON.I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE WHEN I POST IT ,I HAVE NO EDIT BUTTON(JOKE) :laughing: :laughing: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: